Dragonguy73

Roosters-Male Chickens

I love this idea. Both for a Rooster and to breed and only get cockatrices.

Maybe severely limit their breeding times (like say the week of April 1st) and blame it on magic affecting them.

They'd never breed to produce an actual, hatchable egg. Here, I made a compilation of all the information for this request:

Rooster/Male Chicken

Though this introduces a male chicken, it doesn't allow for actual reproduction breeding. Instead, when you breed a Rooster and a Hen they produce an egg that you immediately fry and eat. There were disputes early on in this thread that this promotes eating fertilized eggs. Because of this, it was suggested that it should just look delicious instead of be.

Breeding message: "The chickens breed to produce an egg, it's delicious."

Alternate breeding message: "The chickens produce an egg, it looks delicious."

I don't think breeding to produce a cockatrice was ever seriously considered as part of this thread. It was mentioned but I think it was decided to be too extreme an addition for a joke breed. (Along the lines of this being Dragon Cave, not Animal Cave. It's enough that there's a chicken. It may make sense to have a Rooster to match the Hen. But it's going to far to also have a cockatrice.)

Rather than a Chicken Egg being shown, a fried egg is shown. This egg would not show up on your scroll and so would not take up an egg slot.

Fried egg sprites: user posted image / user posted image

It's unclear whether both egg sprites will or should be used (kinda like Terrae eggs?) but both are available for TJ to use however he wants.

Rooster Sprites:

Different color and pattern ideas by Vrack:

"Red" - user posted image

Russet - user posted image

Brown - user posted image

Blue & Red - user posted image

Blue, Cyan, & Russet - user posted image

Black-Blue - user posted image

Joke Rooster from Halloween: user posted image

There have been critiques on both sets of sprites.

No matter which is chosen, hatchlings would also need to be worked out. The Hens currently have identical sprites for both s1 and s2. Since the Roosters would be male versions of them they'd have to share an s1 sprite but the s2 could be different. This is something that should be discussed and decided on.

As for the s2s I'd only prefer them to be matching for the hen and the rooster, so if the hen's s2 is just yellow and not showing any traits of the female adult sprite, then the rooster's s2 should also be just yellow and probably just have the comb

OR

if the rooster's s2 is showing the colours of the adult, then the hen should have a white or cream s2.

It's all about both s2s working analogically.

Also maybe this may be some source of inspiration since it explains how to tell it's a young rooster or hen? https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/tell...milarQuestions#

"

Young chickens may exhibit small differences depending on gender. For example, roosters have pointed neck and back feathers while hens usually have rounded feathers in these areas. [...]

Rooster combs are more pronounced than hen combs, and they turn red at a young age.

Roosters also tend to have thicker legs than hens. Near the base of a rooster's leg, he has a sharp spur.

"

So I'd suggest having the rooster's s2 yellow like the current hen's but with a well pronounced comb^^ The pointed vs rounded feathers won't be visible anyway, it's a too tiny detail. Onless it's appreached unrealistically, then both hen's and rooster's s2s should match in the approach, I wouldn't complain if that's the way chosen in the end by TJ if he introduces a rooster.

As for the s2s I'd only prefer them to be matching for the hen and the rooster, so if the hen's s2 is just yellow and not showing any traits of the female adult sprite, then the rooster's s2 should also be just yellow and probably just have the comb

OR

if the rooster's s2 is showing the colours of the adult, then the hen should have a white or cream s2.

It's all about both s2s working analogically.

Also maybe this may be some source of inspiration since it explains how to tell it's a young rooster or hen? https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/tell...milarQuestions#

" "

So I'd suggest having the rooster's s2 yellow like the current hen's but with a well pronounced comb^^ The pointed vs rounded feathers won't be visible anyway, it's a too tiny detail. Onless it's appreached unrealistically, then both hen's and rooster's s2s should match in the approach, I wouldn't complain if that's the way chosen in the end by TJ if he introduces a rooster.

I just realized that when chickens grow up they shed the "baby" layer of feathers and grow an "adult" layer. When that happens their feathers can change colors completely. It now makes sense to me for the hatchlings to go from yellow feathers to either white or brown/purple/green/red. So, I'll try to work on a modified version of the existing hatchling sprite with a larger comb. It makes sense that that would be the main/only dimorphic feature that's visible at the S2's age.

---

I may be able to work on hatchlings, but until we get permission from TJ and/or the artist I'm pretty sure it's not legal for us to use the joke rooster. Do you want to PM TJ to ask about it, VixenDra?

Edited by Vrack

I made this a good while ago for a completely different thread, but I feel like it's relevant here:

user posted image

[URL=https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=124114][IMG=http://i63.tinypic.com/2v0xv7r.jpg][/URL]

Also, I support this!

I know it's getting close to the winter event so this will likely not get a ton of attention. But I thought I'd post since I finished the first version of the chicks.

When I first started working on this request I created flipped versions of the existing chicken sprites (with altered shading to have the right light source). Those are what I based my roosters off of because I imagined the rooster's sprites facing in the opposite direction of the hens. It's not really necessary so I made a cockerel facing both ways.

user posted image

Note: I didn't modify the shading of the adult rooster. I just flipped it. If we ever get permission to use/edit the sprite I might try to alter the shading. But until then it stays how it is.

Speaking of getting permission, VixenDra, have you PMed TJ and/or a mod to get permission to use the sprite? I really would feel better about accepting it as a sprite for this request if we had explicit permission from someone with authority.

I really like the Russet sprite. smile.gif While the joke Halloween Rooster is adorable, I like Vrack's sprites more. They look more like a partner for the Chicken than the joke sprite, as that one looks like a costume the chicken put on, don't you think? lol

I don't see how Chickens could go from being un-breedable, to them changing it to year-round breeding; it wouldn't seem right. However, the week of April 1st is an epic idea - even if all you got was a cracked egg from it.

Does that mean that, if Rooster sprite/s are ever added, there's a chance that it'll grow up into a Rooster? Would you then have the ability to influence a Chicken egg with Pinks' BSA? That'd be awesome.

I really like the Russet sprite. smile.gif While the joke Halloween Rooster is adorable, I like Vrack's sprites more. They look more like a partner for the Chicken than the joke sprite, as that one looks like a costume the chicken put on, don't you think? lol

I don't see how Chickens could go from being un-breedable, to them changing it to year-round breeding; it wouldn't seem right. However, the week of April 1st is an epic idea - even if all you got was a cracked egg from it.

Does that mean that, if Rooster sprite/s are ever added, there's a chance that it'll grow up into a Rooster? Would you then have the ability to influence a Chicken egg with Pinks' BSA? That'd be awesome.

Thank you for your support of my sprite!

Anyway, I don't think breeding was something that was specifically decided on. The most common idea that people like is that when you try to breed a Rooster and a Hen you get a message like "The chickens breed to produce an egg, it's delicious." I assumed that this would be the only thing that ever happens when you breed them, year-round. I'm not sure what could be done about them suddenly being able to breed. It's kind of something that can't be avoided since they've existed for so long without a mate. I don't prefer the idea of them only be able to breed during the week of April 1st. Like, why limit it to a single week? Realistically, they'd be able to breed year-round. But if it helps to ease people into and guarantee people realize it's still a joke breed, I think it's reasonable for them to have the breed action greyed out .

I think the idea is Chicken eggs will now have a 50% chance of being a Rooster or a Hen. The eggs can be Influenced however you want and they'll react the same any other egg would. That way, people who already have a Hen(s) don't have to worry about relying on luck to get a Rooster, they can just Influence the egg to be male.

I honestly also enjoy the russet or brown rooster sprites you made Vrack. They have a nice simplicity that the hen has without being too flashy at the same time. I also like how they are flipped so the chickens can stare at each other ^w^

When I first started working on this request I created flipped versions of the existing chicken sprites (with altered shading to have the right light source). Those are what I based my roosters off of because I imagined the rooster's sprites facing in the opposite direction of the hens. It's not really necessary so I made a cockerel facing both ways.

user posted image

Note: I didn't modify the shading of the adult rooster. I just flipped it. If we ever get permission to use/edit the sprite I might try to alter the shading. But until then it stays how it is.

Speaking of getting permission, VixenDra, have you PMed TJ and/or a mod to get permission to use the sprite? I really would feel better about accepting it as a sprite for this request if we had explicit permission from someone with authority.

I posted this near the winter event so it didn't get a ton of attention. Are there any thoughts about the combs? Is there any word on using the Halloween rooster sprite?

Edit:

I just finished a first draft of the frying pan trophy:

user posted image

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Vrack

I posted this near the winter event so it didn't get a ton of attention. Are there any thoughts about the combs? Is there any word on using the Halloween rooster sprite?

I think the combs make a nice addition, but maybe have them show only if the chicken genders male? Like as the S2 hatchling. Would be kind of weird getting an ungendered frozen one with a comb.

Edited by Robot Chimera

I think the combs make a nice addition, but maybe have them show only if the chicken genders male? Like as the S2 hatchling. Would be kind of weird getting an ungendered frozen one with a comb.

Yeah, I'm imagining the hatching sequence being this:

Egg: user posted image

S1: user posted image

S2 (Chick): user posted image

S2 (Cockerel): user posted image

Hen: user posted image

Rooster: user posted image

Though since the current S1 is identical to the female S2, I wonder if it should be changed? Maybe it could be made paler to match something like this chick?

Edited by Vrack

Yeah, I'm imagining the hatching sequence being this:

Egg: user posted image

S1: user posted image

S2 (Chick): user posted image

S2 (Cockerel): user posted image

Hen: user posted image

Rooster: user posted image

Though since the current S1 is identical to the female S2, I wonder if it should be changed? Maybe it could be made paler to match something like this chick?

I'm not sure if the female S2 would be allowed to be changed, but for the male S1 maybe. I kind of like the idea of "randomness" that comes from your chicken gendering male.

Could make it slightly darker colored too, but if changing the female S2 i'd go for paler since the adult female is white.

I think making them have the same rarity as alts would be a bit TOO rare considering they're rare cave drops already. I'd suggest 50:50 for new chickens in the Cave so it won't be insanely rare.

Edited by Robot Chimera

Maybe there could be a 'glitch' where an egg bred by chickens turned out to be a cockatrice? (Half dragon half rooster hybrid).

I think this would be a neat idea. I would also like to see some slightly darker plumage on the rooster S.2.

Maybe there could be a 'glitch' where an egg bred by chickens turned out to be a cockatrice? (Half dragon half rooster hybrid).

I feel like there was a suggestion for this in the Dragon Requests, but I don't remember what it was...

Earlier on in this thread there were ideas of also adding a cockatrice but they decided that it should be its own request. I'm pretty sure they concluded this request is just for adding a Rooster and a cockatrice would/should be added after the Rooster.

I don't know about you guys, while I think a cockatrice would be cool, I don't think it should be included in this thread. It would just complicate what's meant to be a simple request. Regardless of that fact, a cockatrice is its own creature and each request is supposed to only have one creature.