some_how

Trade History/Tracking Teleports

Would you like a trade history page?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Googledocs generally sucks - I tried that method early on and found that I can't even do half the stuff that I can do with excel especially when it comes to stats.  It's a pain having to carry around a flash drive and hope that computers I am using have the proper programs to access my different files, but it sure as heck beats trying to work with googledocs ...pages tend to just spin and not want to load more often than not and on the few times I get stuck having to be on a static filled dial up connection in the middle of nowhere - impossible.

What s/he said. AND - if your connection goes down, you can't plot while you wait !

Open Office, now - free and has it all.

Edited by fuzzbucket

There's really nothing meaningful about the number of trades somebody has done. I don't see any reason for it to be public.

The purpose of the Trade DB was to make it so that people could build a reputation as a trustworthy trade partner, but now that Teleport is around, that's kind of a moot point. (Still somewhat useful in the case of IOUs, though.)

Given the current main post specifically states that it would not be visible to others, I think folks can calm down about that option--it's not what's under discussion in this thread any more.

I think it's a fine idea. The problem with storing information on the DC Forum is that it doesn't have a lot of storage space. And the problems of keeping information available when you use several computers have been well explained above.

I would like to add one suggestion: have it be a feature that users have to manually turn on. That way, the system won't be storing huge amounts of data for people who can't use it or don't care. I'd keep it turned off, personally; but I think it would potentially be a great resource for some, so I support it.

I would like to add one suggestion: have it be a feature that users have to manually turn on. That way, the system won't be storing huge amounts of data for people who can't use it or don't care. I'd keep it turned off, personally; but I think it would potentially be a great resource for some, so I support it.

I think this would sort of defeat the point. You don't know you're going to want to save data on a trade until you realize you can't remember that data. And, even if you do learn your lesson that time, you may never end up using the feature again, even though you have it turned on.

I think this would sort of defeat the point.  You don't know you're going to want to save data on a trade until you realize you can't remember that data.  And, even if you do learn your lesson that time, you may never end up using the feature again, even though you have it turned on.

What if it auto-saves it for X time, and you have to hit 'permanently save' to keep it forever? Kind of like your spam box- you can delete or save messages, but if you don't soon enough, they're deleted.

Edited by stogucheme

What if it auto-saves it for X time, and you have to hit 'permanently save' to keep it forever? Kind of like your spam box- you can delete or save messages, but if you don't soon enough, they're deleted.

Not bad. Although I think auto-saving X number of messages would make more sense.

Not bad.  Although I think auto-saving X number of messages would make more sense.

My problem with that is that if you have someone who logs on for five minutes, makes a trade, then never logs in again, you've got that useless data lying around. Maybe a combination of our ideas?

• If you don't log in within X time, your data is deleted.
  • If you go over X messages, the oldest will be deleted in X time.
Either of these can be stopped if you click 'permanently save.' Does this seem good?

My problem with that is that if you have someone who logs on for five minutes, makes a trade, then never logs in again, you've got that useless data lying around. Maybe a combination of our ideas?

If you don't log in within X time, your data is deleted.

If you go over X messages, the oldest will be deleted in X time.

Either of these can be stopped if you click 'permanently save.' Does this seem good?

I think it is wonderful suggestion! What good is data if no one is using it anyway! But let make the grace period a bit longer...maybe 3 month? Your dragons will be there in case you want to play again, but your saved date of your previous trade aren't. The connection you from trading are mostly likely forgotten anyway!

Also to save more memory, how about the permanently saved trades get a limit too! But in this case, you cannot make anymore trades until you have under select amount of trades. HOWEVER you get select which trades will be deleted. The other trades you will just go deleted in time based.

Edited by some_how

With the many trades I started or offered or turned down or accepted recently, I realized I no longer know which egg is from who and what I traded for it. Wouldn't it be nice, if we had a teleport log, similar to but not listed in the action log? Where we would see more than "(magi dragon) teleported (the egg you bred)". You would actually see the whole trade, who accepted, what they gave in return, what were the other offers made and who offered them.

With one-way teleports this would be even more needed, since not everybody who clicks a teleport link in the gifting topics has their name shown on the dragon's page and the gifter would still like to see where their eggies went. Especially if they are cavebonr eggs or taken from the AP - if the giver hadn't written down the code, they have no means to track their eggs unless the taker is polite enough to report.

Sorry if it was discussed before. I can't find it anywhere.

Before I forget. This teleport log would also be a useful reminder in cases of IOUs. I see more and more people announcing in their signatures that they owe someone but have accidentally deleted the PM in which they agreed, so they don't know who to pay back. This option could not enforce IOU payback, but it could be a useful reminder.

100% Support. Perhaps there could be a notepad at the bottom of the screen?

EDIT: Wait, why is this in BSAs? It belongs in suggestions/requests.

Edited by Spelunker

Because teleport is a BSA. smile.gif But if mods consider it's a non-BSA request, I'm sure they can move it to its proper place. Thank you for the support!

Edit: Looks like it happened.

Edited by Darth Krande

I would love to have something like this.

Heaps of support for this. This is a great idea. I suggest you set up a poll to see if anyone else agrees. (Thumbs up.)

This would be so much better than any of the current ways people might use to keep track of Teleported eggs (I use the write-down code method you mentioned, but a friend of mine keeps bookmarks)

I agree this would be a handy tool in those who deal with Trades and/or IOUs (this way, you have proof to say; See - I did make the transfer)

100% in favor of this!

Edited by ShorahNagi

IOU trading is not endorsed by DC, and thus suggestions that argue on the usefulness for IOU likely will be ignored alltogether. I like the idea, but only for trades.

FFA/one way transfers are at,your own risk - always. Dont try to change the rules for this, it wont happen.

FFA/one way transfers are at,your own risk - always. Dont try to change the rules for this, it wont happen.

Excuse me? I didn't mention anything about the rules. Only the two partners in the teleport can see the actual data. I'm not saying someone could make a public blacklist out of one-way transfers, claiming they didn't get paid back biggrin.gif But you have to admit even in the case of a one-way transfer it's nice to see where the dragon ended up even if people don't always bother to thank a dragon.

I can see some value in this suggestion.

Just curious, how long would you propose this record be kept. Would it be like the action record and wiped out after a certain number of trades like the action record is wiped by new actions? Would it be kept for a certain set period of time? Or would it be there indefinitely?

I don't know what limits are set for the action log but I think the same could be applied here.

I love this idea, especially if the records were kept for some time.

I have a terrible memory, periodically lose data from drafts in my Outlook where I keep such things, and find it rather more than very embarrassing to forget who gave/traded me what, and what I've given to whom...

Although if people don't want to say that they've taken a dragon I've put up on a Departures thread, I don't really care who it is; it's just, I feel, a courtesy to do so, however much it's appreciated.

I would especially like this for keeping track of trades. I lose track of who I trade with over time, so this would be nice.

I can see some value in this suggestion.

Just curious, how long would you propose this record be kept. Would it be like the action record and wiped out after a certain number of trades like the action record is wiped by new actions? Would it be kept for a certain set period of time? Or would it be there indefinitely?

Yesss. I think it would be great if there were an option to delete the transaction records you didn't want to track and keep up to a certain number, sort of like the way you can keep or delete PMs. Of course I wish we could do the same for action logs too (grumbles about losing important info just to keep track of AP abandons, blargh)

I would love a trading record, but I don't think keeping track of which dragon did the trade is necessary.

I think that's what "Only keep track of the partner but not the dragons" means? That's what I picked.