some_how

Trade History/Tracking Teleports

Would you like a trade history page?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if this has been suggested, but I would like to able to see my trade history. Sometimes, I accidently delete my pms...so I forget whom I owe or whom owe me. Not to mention, I think it is a great way to see if people whom I am want to trade with again!

(On side note, I forgot whom I was going to trade 4th even Stripe...)

EDIT 1: And this trade history, only viewable to participants of the trades.

EDIT 2: For example:

Trade 1: You and Person A

Trade 2: You and Person B

Trade 3: Person A and Person C

You can only see Trade 1 and Trade 2. Meanwhile Person A can see Trade 1 and Trade 3. Person B can only see trade 2 and Person C can only see trade 3. But if trade history takes up too much resources...maybe it should be only viewable to person's own account. wink.gif

EDIT 3: To save memory, stogucheme suggested (through a combination of ideas) that trade data will deleted if:

• If you don't log in within X time.

• If you go over X messages, the oldest will be deleted in X time.
BUT trade data can be save forever if you click on 'permanently save button." Edited by some_how

This seems like it could come in handy. I mean, you could store it offsite just as easily, but it would be a lot easier if the site just kept track of that for you.

Yeah, that would be useful. Of course, for me, the last 50 would cover a lot of time, but it would still be nice to have it jog my memory when I see the name again. smile.gif

If it's really important to you as you claim it is why don't you just open a regular word document and register there every trade you make ?

One line is all you need to write down...

You can give members colors or arrange it by the names.... It's not that hard actually dry.gif

I would only be for this if you can only view your own history. I don't want others prying into my own history, or lack of it.

I would only be for this if you can only view your own history. I don't want others prying into my own history, or lack of it.

Sounds like a good idea.

This.

And I don't think it is really necessary. When I still owe somebody I make a note somewhere offsite.

Yes, you can always make a note somewhere...but I like to have more than one area to keep the stored data. Not to mention, it is great to have your history when you are using a different computer. I doubt that you would keep the list when you go over to friend's house or on a trip.

On side note, some of you bring up a very good important. The trade history should be only viewable to people whom they trade with.

This too.

And yes, I keep a chart; I LOVE charts biggrin.gif - but I can't be bothered to keep up with OLD offers, and it would sometimes be handy to recall those !

Yes, you can always make a note somewhere...but I like to have more than one area to keep the stored data. Not to mention, it is great to have your history when you are using a different computer. I doubt that you would keep the list when you go over to friend's house or on a trip.

On side note, some of you bring up a very good important. The trade history should be only viewable to people whom they trade with.

No, not to people who you trade with, only to yourself. If the people who I traded with want to see what they traded with me, they have to look in their own history. I don't want them to see my trades with other people.

If it's really important to you as you claim it is why don't you just open a regular word document and register there every trade you make ?

One line is all you need to write down...

You can give members colors or arrange it by the names.... It's not that hard actually  dry.gif

yes one can do that and I do.. however, I do use multiple computers and no matter what program I use, there will be some computers that don't have all those programs to be able to access those files. So information I might have stored on an excel file would not be accessible on a computer that does not have excel, etc. Not all computers have word or notepad, etc. The hotel I was recently at had a computer, but the ONLY thing you could access on that computer was the internet.. no word, no notepad, no excel, no nothing.

Edited by WraithZephyr

yes one can do that and I do.. however, I do use multiple computers and no matter what program I use, there will be some computers that don't have all those programs to be able to access those files. So information I might have stored on an excel file would not be accessible on a computer that does not have excel, etc. Not all computers have word or notepad, etc. The hotel I was recently at had a computer, but the ONLY thing you could access on that computer was the internet.. no word, no notepad, no excel, no nothing.

*coughgoogledocs*

That said (or coughed, I guess), I still think having something on-site is worth the effort, if only because it would be automatic, and you wouldn't have to remember to do it, plus you wouldn't be bothered with foresight.

I would only be for this if you can only view your own history.  I don't want others prying into my own history, or lack of it.

I Completely agree with this. It's no ones business but mine whom I trade with. However, I would like if it at least showed something like "this user has completed X successful trades", meaning mutual trades, not gifts. So you'd have some idea about the quality of whoever you're trading with. But without any of that review mess that could come with it.

The trade DB thread serves the same purpose, but it's clunky and I swear I forget to update there constantly. I must have at least 20 mutual trades that aren't reflected, and now I can't find the names and item(s) traded to make the history back up. Not to mention I like to gift more than trade*.

*But then, you are talking to the only person in DC who couldn't unload either a CB black or CB stripe for anything several times so trades don't seem to work for me in general.

No, not to people who you trade with, only to yourself. If the people who I traded with want to see what they traded with me, they have to look in their own history. I don't want them to see my trades with other people.

Not exactly what I meant. When I said "And this trade history, only viewable to participants of the trades. " I mean the person whom traded with you can only view the trades that they had traded with you. For example:

Trade 1: You and Person A

Trade 2: You and Person B

Trade 3: Person A and Person C

You can only see Trade 1 and Trade 2. Meanwhile Person A can see Trade 1 and Trade 3. Person B can only see trade 2 and Person C can only see trade 3. But if trade history takes up too much resources...maybe it should be only viewable to your trade history.

On side note, I forgot GoogleDocs...that would have been useful! xd.png

Edited by some_how

*coughgoogledocs*

That said (or coughed, I guess), I still think having something on-site is worth the effort, if only because it would be automatic, and you wouldn't have to remember to do it, plus you wouldn't be bothered with foresight.

Googledocs generally sucks - I tried that method early on and found that I can't even do half the stuff that I can do with excel especially when it comes to stats. It's a pain having to carry around a flash drive and hope that computers I am using have the proper programs to access my different files, but it sure as heck beats trying to work with googledocs ...pages tend to just spin and not want to load more often than not and on the few times I get stuck having to be on a static filled dial up connection in the middle of nowhere - impossible.

I'd also like to mention for those suggesting we use outside resources, I would love this simply because I misplace outside resources so frequently. If I accidentally throw out a piece of scrap paper, delete a .txt file thinking it's no longer useful, or misplace a URL, I no longer have any idea who I owe something to. Just the other day I was sitting in #dctrades asking for the owner of a particular pair of dragons to PM me because I lost their name and didn't know who I owed the hatchlings I had obtained to. It would be awesome if there was a private history, even a very temporary one (the last 10-20 transfers/trades you did, or the trades from just the last week or 2).

I keep my list in my mail, sent from my split personality to "myself and I", if I'm at a place where I can't access my mail... I guess I won't be able to access anything else as well...

With that being said, the real thing I'm interested in is - Which Hotel and in which country (because that piece of info is going on a more important list wink.gif )

I think it would be useful, but I'm unsure which option to vote for. What do you think of an option for every user to specify if they want to store all trades, some trades or not store anything at all? That way, there won't be a huge load of data that no one uses, but those who want it can store their trades as far back as they need.

Googledocs generally sucks - I tried that method early on and found that I can't even do half the stuff that I can do with excel especially when it comes to stats. It's a pain having to carry around a flash drive and hope that computers I am using have the proper programs to access my different files, but it sure as heck beats trying to work with googledocs ...pages tend to just spin and not want to load more often than not and on the few times I get stuck having to be on a static filled dial up connection in the middle of nowhere - impossible.

I have a funny feeling that TJ isn't going to code up something like excel just for people to keep track of trades, though. The sort of feature that's being suggested would probably be static; just a list of scroll names and codes of traded dragons.

What do you think of an option for every user to specify if they want to store all trades, some trades or not store anything at all? That way, there won't be a huge load of data that no one uses, but those who want it can store their trades as far back as they need.

Or a maximum of trades remembered, and the possibility of deleting those you don't want to keep. If you don't delete anything, the oldest make place for new ones if ther's too many.

I Completely agree with this. It's no ones business but mine whom I trade with. However, I would like if it at least showed something like "this user has completed X successful trades", meaning mutual trades, not gifts. So you'd have some idea about the quality of whoever you're trading with. But without any of that review mess that could come with it.

The trade DB thread serves the same purpose, but it's clunky and I swear I forget to update there constantly. I must have at least 20 mutual trades that aren't reflected, and now I can't find the names and item(s) traded to make the history back up. Not to mention I like to gift more than trade*.

*But then, you are talking to the only person in DC who couldn't unload either a CB black or CB stripe for anything several times so trades don't seem to work for me in general.

That is actually exactly what I do not want. I don't trade very often, I just don't, and I really don't want anyone saying, "I'll trade with X person instead because they seem more reliable because they trade more" despite the fact that every trade I HAVE done has ended well. I never liked the trade database and refused to take part in it, and I really don't want anything on the main site that resembles it.

I dunno, not even sure if you are talking about this list being on your scroll on the dragcave server or in the forums on the board server. If the dragcave server, I would be afraid of the lag. Been bad enough lately already without more stuff slowing things down. If the boards, I think there is already a thread floating around somewhere about increasing mailbox room.

Right now I have just been putting user names I trade with in my PM Buddies List with a brief description of why that name is in there. I have been tracking IOU's on the "Your personal note pad" on the control panel. Plus I have my word pads with different lists trades/breeding/etc. Though I haven't been at this all that long so can't say how useful those will be in the long run (as far as running out of room).

But using this idea for a "Credit Score" for trading leaves a sour taste on my tongue. Only for a personal record kind of thing.

*cough cough*

portable apps run off an usb drive.

http://portableapps.com/apps

wink.gif Then you never have to fear the host pc doesn't have the