Yzarro

cultural things we'll be ashamed of in 50 years

Kamak, I suppose I got a different impression from what you said, since it sounded to me like everyone else must be responsible for everyone else's actions, since you said why do we do this and then make them depend on themselves, as if being independent was...somehow wrong? I will believe you that this isn't what you meant.

How many pets we murder every day just because people would rather give up their animals and let them be slaughtered than have to put in the tiniest bit of effort to keep them.

I am so tired of the "we're moving", "we're having a baby", "he's too big/old/furry/loud" etc excuses. Once when I was at the animal shelter a family came in and gave up their medium-large, elderly dog. When they were leaving the son asked, "Can we get a puppy now?". Disgusting.

How many pets we murder every day just because people would rather give up their animals and let them be slaughtered than have to put in the tiniest bit of effort to keep them.

I am so tired of the "we're moving", "we're having a baby", "he's too big/old/furry/loud" etc excuses. Once when I was at the animal shelter a family came in and gave up their medium-large, elderly dog. When they were leaving the son asked, "Can we get a puppy now?". Disgusting.

This. I think it's disgusting that animals are seen as "just pets". I mean, fair enough if you actually can't look after them any more. It's better to give them up in the hope they will find a good home than to keep them in a place where they will end up being resented.

My family is thinking of getting a dog. They've been going round the shelters seeing if there's one that they would be able to take care of. It's difficult though. Most of them ask if you've had any experience with dogs in the past ten years. My Mum grew up with dogs. Her family had at least three in succession, and she had an active role in looking after them. (She was an only child in a tenement flat.)

But since that was about forty years ago, and the rest of us have never taken care of a dog before, the only dogs the shelter staff would consider letting us near are young dogs with no behavioural/health problems, which are almost never taken there and get adopted almost immediately.

Whaling. Enough said.

And extremist opposition to it.

Sorry Sea Shepherds. As entertaining as you are to watch, you are still extremists. Even if your message is right, you go about it in all the wrong ways.

Edited by Walker

Was planking mentioned yet?

Was planking mentioned yet?

Is it a bad thing that I have no idea what you are referring to with 'planking'?

Anyway OT...anything to do with the idiotcy that goes on in politics...on both sides.

I can dream can't I?

I never understood why planking became a fad...

I'm seconding RheaZen on the PETA thing. >.> That and Westboro Baptist Church or whatever it's called.

I never understood why planking became a fad...

I'm seconding RheaZen on the PETA thing. >.> That and Westboro Baptist Church or whatever it's called.

I think people are already ashamed of Westboro Baptist Church : /

"Oh hey cool a fad that doesn't mean I have to spend money and can be done even if I'm not physically fit."

I don't really see anything bad with planking....its weird, sure, but its not intrinsically dangerous (or at least not as badly as things like 'owling' or 'balcony-ing'). Honestly, I don't think we'll be ashamed of it, we'll just have forgotten about it.

Things we'll actively be ashamed of are the big things, like phobias and discrimination. I suspect ableism will be something in particular, since people are already ashamed of racism or homophobia. Ableism is still a foreign concept to many; even though I'd always grown up knowing not to be mean to those with physical and mental disabilities, I'd never even heard about not using words like "crazy" or "lame" until a couple of months ago.

I don't really see anything bad with planking....its weird, sure, but its not intrinsically dangerous (or at least not as badly as things like 'owling' or 'balcony-ing'). Honestly, I don't think we'll be ashamed of it, we'll just have forgotten about it.

Things we'll actively be ashamed of are the big things, like phobias and discrimination. I suspect ableism will be something in particular, since people are already ashamed of racism or homophobia. Ableism is still a foreign concept to many; even though I'd always grown up knowing not to be mean to those with physical and mental disabilities, I'd never even heard about not using words like "crazy" or "lame" until a couple of months ago.

I dunno. I hear a lot more people talking about how ashamed they are of hair styles in the 80's or music of the 90s, for example, than anything more serious, like discrimination or unequal rights. owo

I'd like to think we'd be ashamed of the current levels of CCTV in use. But I somehow doubt that'll happen.

I dunno. I hear a lot more people talking about how ashamed they are of hair styles in the 80's or music of the 90s, for example, than anything more serious, like discrimination or unequal rights. owo

But those are obvious things, that show up in almost any piece of media from the time. But you're not going to watch a movie from the early 2,000 and notice the outrageous amount of planking going on. (Unless someone makes a movie about that, and it would be maybe the most boring thing that ever came out of Hollywood.) People don't tend to remember strange games or pastimes as much.

I guess it would still be in Facebook pictures and the like, but I don't think it has quite the same impact.

I really don't get why people hate planking so much, it seems irrational to dislike it so vehemently... :/

-K-

But those are obvious things, that show up in almost any piece of media from the time. But you're not going to watch a movie from the early 2,000 and notice the outrageous amount of planking going on. (Unless someone makes a movie about that, and it would be maybe the most boring thing that ever came out of Hollywood.) People don't tend to remember strange games or pastimes as much.

I guess it would still be in Facebook pictures and the like, but I don't think it has quite the same impact.

>_>

*waits for the movie on planking to come out* Lol.

~

But really, good point. ^^