Yzarro

cultural things we'll be ashamed of in 50 years

I do know that some Canadians travel to the US to get care they cannot get in Canada, while others would never dream of doing so because everything they need is there. Theirs is not a perfect system either.

I've honestly never heard of people from here going to the USA for care... And I live pretty close to the boarder.

This past year my dad started to go blind in one of his eyes (detached retina) and we raced for the boarder. We were down in Washington when it started to happen, but he wanted to keep going. Once in Cali he realised we would be stuck in the US unless we got out of there. We were dumb and never got travel insurance (is that what it's called?). In the end we got home in 3 days and all was well. biggrin.gif His sight's back and all that jazz.

I can't believe we haven't realized the stupidity of war

or how outdated and primative hunting is.

and all this rubbish about "take this drug and slather your skin in this chemical creme and you'll look ten years younger" seriously still falling for it?

oh what else... hmm gay marrige still not allowed is stupid

it should be easier to adopt -.- poor kids often never get a steady home

designer pets that come with a guarentee of daily medical problems and expensive vet bills.

allowing idiots to get into government!!!! repeatedly!!!

I can't believe we haven't realized the stupidity of war

and all this rubbish about "take this drug and slather your skin in this chemical creme and you'll look ten years younger" seriously still falling for it?

oh what else... hmm gay marrige still not allowed is stupid

it should be easier to adopt -.- poor kids often never get a steady home

designer pets that come with a guarentee of daily medical problems and expensive vet bills.

allowing idiots to get into government!!!! repeatedly!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "designer pets" but any animal you get from someone reputable shouldn't have that probelrm.

In which case, the next time I bandage one of you guys I'll remember to charge you £20 for man-power, equipment and administration before I start patching that life-threatening bleed of yours.

Thank God, the Queen and Parliament for the NHS. I don't particularly care that all the tax I've ever paid into the NHS I've never seen (two trips to A&E, both via taxi, and I've only ever taken up about 15min of time and the cost of six steri-strips) to make sure the poor buggers who I regularly pick up off the various floors has had someone look after them, without having to worry that they might not afford it.

Your health-care system sounds third-world, to be honest. Only those who can afford it can be given medical treatment? It's about as selfish and elitist as you can get.

Very much this. The American healthcase system has (literally) nearly killed me twice and almost left me permanently handicapped the third because I can't afford any medical care without taking out loans from my family. With two infections that would have been lethal had I not gotten family to front the bill and a broken arm I tried to treat myself before finally cracking and calling dad for help, none of which I could have received care for on my own, I kind of want to move out of this country for that reason alone.

Americans don't need guns

Tell that to me and my parents when I was six years old and a bear had broke the glass door and got into the house.

Only outdated and primitive to those who can afford meat by other means. My family eats everything they kill and if they didn't there were some winters they might not have made it. It's cheaper to hunt where my parents live than to buy meat at the grocer's so it's the only way to get it for many.

Now something I do hope everyone will be ashamed of in fifty years is that it's still considered the moral thing to do, in some areas, to kick your lgbt kid to the streets to "teach them a lesson". -____-

And that more people will be sick and done with everyone shoving their religions down everyone else's throats.

Once again, for those who can't afford it there are programs like TennCare. My mother is a single mother, very low income, we are struggling financially and we qualify for it. However, we are part of a MediShare program, that's a communal system that you pay into and will pay the same as health insurance. It's cheaper. There are alternatives and options for those who "can't afford it" if they look.

My point being, why should they be forced to look elsewhere? It doesn't give any sense of security or peace of mind, knowing that unless you have the right insurance you run the risk of dying, all because of an inefficient health care system. As I said before, third-world.

So, out of interest - how much is an ambulance ride worth in the US?

Edited by Kestra15

Google says $500 plus mileage for the ambulance, Kestra, typically going up from there, eegads...

Edited by dragon_mando

Around $500, but can get up to $1000.

Ninjaaa'd.

Edited by RheaZen

I'm from Tennessee. The patron state of shootin' stuff? Hunting is a legitimate pastime, as long as you consume what you kill. Killing purely for fun is ridiculous. However, if you've ever been around here... the deer are severely overpopulated. I can only imagine what it would be like if we stopped hunting altogether. Plus, a guy I know makes the best deer barbecue ever... mmmmm...

Around $500, but can get up to $1000.

Ninjaaa'd.

A helicopter off Everest isn't much more.

... ambulance-helicopter off of Mt. Everest?

Yup. Casevac.

Hunting is primitive, but controls population, gives you fresh meat that you know the origins of, ect. It is also fun for some people. The only lines I draw are hunting for fun or hunting endangered animals. If you eat it, there is no problem. However, eating that meat from a factory farm supports cruelty to animals that's only purpose to be eaten. I admit it is something we may be ashamed of, but not something we should be ashamed of.

I'm not sure what you mean by "designer pets" but any animal you get from someone reputable shouldn't have that probelrm.

just as an example

"pug" straight of the bat, all pugs have respiratory issues due to the squished face

and for a reference of other problems this site lists them.

i also know German Shepherds develop arthritis in back legs at a much younger age compared to most dogs. other things they suffer here

also some stuff on the Pomeranian health issues

breeders certainly lower the risk. but you can never eliminate many risks because it's part of the breed. thats why i love my mongrel

Keriel - I'd be careful using the phrase 'designer pets' to refer to all pedigree animals. Simply because almost no one will understand that's what you mean. If you mean pedigree, say pedigree. 'Designer pets' as a term is only frequently used to refer to recent cross-breeds with portmanteau names such as 'labradoodle' or 'puggle'.

Edit: apparently I left a word out originaly.

Edited by TikindiDragon

Yes, I thought you meant that as well. Regardless I agree. I think it's appalling that people are breeding dogs with known health problems to produce dogs with more health problems because it looks visually appealing.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

I don't understand why people are so anti-guns.. Criminals are going to get them either way, even if they are banned. Same with drugs, alcohol, explosives, or anything else. Banning things outright, then locking people up simply doesn't work. Rehabilitation does.

I don't understand why people are so anti-guns.. Criminals are going to get them either way, even if they are banned. Same with drugs, alcohol, explosives, or anything else. Banning things outright, then locking people up simply doesn't work. Rehabilitation does.

Amen. I will keep my guns thank you. They aren't hurting anybody sitting in a closet, and I know how to use em if I need em.

^That said, no civilian should need any fully-automatic weapons.

A civilian's got no business with an AK-47.

^That said, no civilian should need any fully-automatic weapons.

A civilian's got no business with an AK-47.

True, although the gangsters and those who purchase them illegally will have them anyways... But no, I'd rather aim and squeeze than spray and pray any day tongue.gif

I do disagree with the lumping of brass knuckles, butterfly knives and switchblades in the same category as automatic weapons. At least in Tennessee they are all considered... I think class 3 weapons? The purpose of class 3 being no other purpose than a collector piece or to cause someone bodily harm. Well, butterfly knife (aka balisong) twirling is almost a sport. Switchblades can be very handy if you only have one had available (hand trapped in a car and need to cut it off maybe? it happens.) and besides, I can open my non-assisted opening knife just as fast as a switchblade. Being able to open at the push of a button doesn't make it any more dangerous. Brass knuckles, well, yeah, there isn't much of a point other than bodily harm to someone else xd.png

so added to my list, ridiculous weapons laws.

True, although the gangsters and those who purchase them illegally will have them anyways... But no, I'd rather aim and squeeze than spray and pray any day tongue.gif

I do disagree with the lumping of brass knuckles, butterfly knives and switchblades in the same category as automatic weapons. At least in Tennessee they are all considered... I think class 3 weapons? The purpose of class 3 being no other purpose than a collector piece or to cause someone bodily harm. Well, butterfly knife (aka balisong) twirling is almost a sport. Switchblades can be very handy if you only have one had available (hand trapped in a car and need to cut it off maybe? it happens.) and besides, I can open my non-assisted opening knife just as fast as a switchblade. Being able to open at the push of a button doesn't make it any more dangerous. Brass knuckles, well, yeah, there isn't much of a point other than bodily harm to someone else xd.png

so added to my list, ridiculous weapons laws.

Hm.. Well, about Switchblades, I have to disagree. I am fine with people owning hunting knives and the like, but assisted opening knives? It just seems like thats for people who want to stick it in other's flesh.

As for Balisong Knives/Butterfly Knives, couldn't the opening be done with a dull knife?

But yeah, I think that you should be able to carry around a multitool, pocket knife, leatherman, etc. Its a tool, not a weapon. Well, a weapon if need be, but 95% of the time, a tool. When I am 18 I plan on carrying a letherman or something like that with me always. You never know when you could need it.

Edited by canobiecrazy

Hm.. Well, about Switchblades, I have to disagree. I am fine with people owning hunting knives and the like, but assisted opening knives? It just seems like thats for people who want to stick it in other's flesh.

As for Balisong Knives/Butterfly Knives, couldn't the opening be done with a dull knife?

But yeah, I think that you should be able to carry around a multitool, pocket knife, leatherman, etc. Its a tool, not a weapon. Well, a weapon if need be, but 95% of the time, a tool. When I am 18 I plan on carrying a letherman or something like that with me always. You never know when you could need it.

Well, the original purpose of the switchblade was for sailors. Often they would have one hand tied up in something, figuratively or literally, and would need a knife they could open with one hand that could close like a folding knife to stay safe. Enter the switchblade. I own one as a curiosity piece, but I have nothing wrong with push button opening knives or assisted opening knives. I think they're helpful in a pinch, just as safe as any other knife, and the bad rap they get is completely stupid.

Well... it COULD be, but it would take a lot of the fun out of it tongue.gif part of the technique is keeping in your head which handle is the "safe" handle and which handle is the "bite" handle while spinning, flipping and twirling. A mental game if you will.

I always carry a knife xd.png it's Tennessee, everyone does wink.gif

Thread necromancy.

A 26kg life-threatening tumour...and the woman didn't do anything about it because she didn't have the health insurance to cover it. This is why my American colleagues are embarrassed over the US health system.

Please note before clicking this link that there is a small photo of the tumour in the article, so don't click if you don't want to see. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doctors-remove-51...-235308152.html

The text, for those who don't want to risk the photo:

New Jersey surgeons removed a rapidly growing, 51-pound (23-kg) cancerous tumour from a woman who had delayed treatment for more than a month until she became eligible for health insurance, her doctor said on Tuesday.

"She was a skinny lady with a huge belly. I mean it looked like she was literally pregnant with triplets," said Dr. David Dupree, who led the surgery on the 65-year-old woman, at Riverview Medical Centre in Red Bank, New Jersey.

"She was just all belly," he said in describing his first meeting with the patient, a homemaker from nearby Union Beach, New Jersey, who asked to be identified only as Evelyn, her first name.

About six to eight weeks before she showed up at the hospital, Evelyn noticed discomfort in her abdomen and that her normally 120-pound frame was rapidly ballooning. Dupree said she sought medical help on June 4, just days after her 65th birthday, when she would qualify for Medicare, the U.S. healthcare program for seniors.

"The reason she didn't go earlier was because she had no insurance," he said.

By now, she weighed more than 170 pounds, her legs were swollen with trapped blood, she was badly dehydrated, and, scans showed, the tumour - a malignant sarcoma - was crushing her inferior vena cava, one of the main veins returning blood to the heart, and putting her life in danger.

With her body too weakened to be operated on immediately, Dupree scheduled surgery for the following Monday, allowing time for her to become rehydrated and for her blood pressure to be brought under control.

But after she became short of breath on Sunday evening, Dupree brought the surgery forward.

"I knew that she wasn't going to make it through the night," he said.

"Either she goes now or she dies tonight," he recalled thinking.

Opening her up, Dupree and his team found the tumour, which appeared to have originated out of the fatty tissue around her large intestine, had engulfed many of her internal organs, and had to be sliced away "millimetre by millimetre" over the course of the five-hour surgery.

Evelyn was still recovering from the operation in a rehabilitation Centre on Tuesday, Dupree said. She declined to be interviewed.

Although the immediate threat to her life has passed, she must still see an oncologist about treatment for her cancer, which may not have been completely eradicated by the surgery, and may require chemotherapy or radiation therapy.

Dupree said he would advise uninsured patients to see a doctor immediately if they knew they were unwell no matter how near their 65th birthday might be. He said the hospital would have operated on Evelyn regardless of her insurance status, but added he did not know whether doing so would have cost her more money.

Honestly? I would hope that twitter and Facebook and crap like (the heck is up with all these number signs?) would warrant shame in the coming years, but something tells me it will be worse.

That being said, clothing. Gosh, I can't even look at 90's clothes without cringing. It's only been 20 years, too.