Yzarro

cultural things we'll be ashamed of in 50 years

I dunno. I hear a lot more people talking about how ashamed they are of hair styles in the 80's or music of the 90s, for example, than anything more serious, like discrimination or unequal rights. owo

It's probably a lot easier to talk about superficial things that don't really cause shame. It's much easier to talk about superficial things that invoke superficial feelings of slight embarassment, rather than things that twinge at the back of the conscience and have the potential to invoke feelings of real shame, real reflection, real discomfort.

And anyway, I don't really think society will care that much about 50-year old fashion, etc.. The 60's were 50 years ago now. I don't see us, as a society, absolutely cringing over 60's fashion and 60's music. We're more looking back at those things and shaking our heads at the silly stuff and still enjoying the rest. That's not shame. I think we are ashamed at how we treated Viet Nam vets though, when they came back. Now, when vets return from unpopular wars, society seems to realize that the soldiers were fighters in the war, they weren't the war itself, so treat them much better.

I really don't get why people hate planking so much, it seems irrational to dislike it so vehemently... :/

-K-

This. Same with owling.

Pop music. I mean, really? I don't even listen to it anymore... it's all very dirty, and then you hear little kids listening to it, and...

Also, I really hope that in fifty years we'll be DOING something about the "developing" countries. Like developing them, and supplying food.

Also, I really hope that in fifty years we'll be DOING something about the "developing" countries. Like developing them, and supplying food.

I'm on the fence. If they WANT to develop, that's fine, but if they're perfectly content with their culture and are trying to fight to keep it (like when developed nations try to take advantage of them), I don't think we have any right to "develop" them.

I think people get too swept up in the idea that it's horrible that people in tribes in Africa and Asia don't have the internet yet or don't have other conveniences that we take for granted because we can't see ourselves living without them (imagine getting around without any vehicles), but in their society, they may not care about such things or may not have much use for them (in their minds).

Nintendo

Nintendo is going to be 122 years old on the 23rd. Is crazy no? blink.gif

I think that perhaps in 50 years, most countries will feel ashamed for ever forbidding physician-assisted euthanasia, as such a prohibition takes away the right to self-sovereignty of terminally sick people, forcing them to live an inhumanely painful life right up until the end. And that all just because loved ones or lawmakers selfishly want to keep them around for their own comfort or because of their inability to know when to let go (i.e. the sick person kind of becomes a 'victim' of their loved ones). Quantity is not the same as quality, people. And no one should ever have the ultimate say about someone's own life and body (only when an afflicted person is mentally ill and incapable of making rational decisions). Because if one, when in agony due to an extremely painful disease, is not allowed to decide about the end of their own life - then have they ever *truly* been an independent, free person with their own identity, after all? Was the thing that they had been taught all their lives - that they are a free, independent person with an own identity, who are the *only* one to have a say about their life and body - an illusion after all, then? Are they, in the end, a slave to loved ones and society then? If so... then freedom is an illusion, and we are all born into a cage. Most people these days probably don't realise that, or simply don't want to admit to it - but I hope that the future generations will realise this, and be strong and enlightened enough to create laws that allow for mentally healthy persons to have self-sovereignty over their own lives, even when it comes to the most ultimate of situations: their own deaths.

Edited by Duysterwald

Our lack of regeneration. I bet in the future people will be able to regenerate using a powder. And they'll say: "Past people knew the idea, but never used it".

I think that perhaps in 50 years, most countries will feel ashamed for ever forbidding physician-assisted euthanasia, as such a prohibition takes away the right to self-sovereignty of terminally sick people, forcing them to live an inhumanely painful life right up until the end. And that all just because loved ones or lawmakers selfishly want to keep them around for their own comfort or because of their inability to know when to let go (i.e. the sick person kind of becomes a 'victim' of their loved ones). Quantity is not the same as quality, people. And no one should ever have the ultimate say about someone's own life and body (only when an afflicted person is mentally ill and incapable of making rational decisions). Because if one, when in agony due to an extremely painful disease, is not allowed to decide about the end of their own life - then have they ever *truly* been an independent, free person with their own identity, after all? Was the thing that they had been taught all their lives - that they are a free, independent person with an own identity, who are the *only* one to have a say about their life and body - an illusion after all, then? Are they, in the end, a slave to loved ones and society then? If so... then freedom is an illusion, and we are all born into a cage. Most people these days probably don't realise that, or simply don't want to admit to it - but I hope that the future generations will realise this, and be strong and enlightened enough to create laws that allow for mentally healthy persons to have self-sovereignty over their own lives, even when it comes to the most ultimate of situations: their own deaths.

Have you seen the documentary "You Don't Know Jack"?

It's about Dr. Kevorkian (for anyone who doesn't know who that is, he was referred to as Dr. Death for his participation in assisted suicides in the 90's) and his beliefs about suicide and euthanasia. It's very powerful, I suggest you see it if you haven't already. Before I watched it, I thought of him as a soulless monster, but now I understand what he was trying to do. It made me re-evaluate my beliefs on the issue.

Edited by rainbowsmile

Lets see... I'll second a few things that have already been mentioned. Planking/owling/whatever stance you're doing in random places, Twilight, Westboro Baptist Church, the general inability of our government to get ANYTHING useful done at the moment, Twilight, Spongebob (even though I love it), pop music, hipsters, excessive tattooing and gauges (imagine gauges on an 80 year old. ew. - to anyone with tattoos or gauges, I like both, just not obscenely huge gauges and not excessive amounts of tattoos.), and obesity.

Our lack of regeneration. I bet in the future people will be able to regenerate using a powder. And they'll say: "Past people knew the idea, but never used it".

So...

In the future, we'll be Time Lords? Hell yes!

Unfortunately, we'll all be dead, barring one.

I am Mr Kestra.

Twilight

"Gangsta" rap, especially the ones that promote abuse, murder, and just general debauchery.

The commonality of recreational drug use.

Probably a few more, but these are what came to mind first.

On a side not, I'm ashamed of these things now.

Edited by Nerendier

The commonality of recreational drug use.

I doubt this... drugs have been a part of every culture pretty much as long as humans have been around. Although I think years from now people will ashamed of the problem that it became as far as addiction and overdose (pregnant women using, things of that nature). We're already at that point now.

Agree with you about the Twilight bit, though.

If the world improves in 50 years to me I think it was how kids behaved. I don't need to say much.

If the world continues to get worse I think the people that think and think before talking stuff like that would be laughed at.

But thats just me and how things seem to be going over here.

I think how racism and sexism still exist, despite many others claiming 'oh no, evryone is equal, there is no more work needed to be done, SHUSH'.

If the world improves in 50 years to me I think it was how kids behaved. I don't need to say much.

How kids behave? In what respect?

In all honest, I don't think children (or young adults/teenagers) are any worst than they've ever been. If people are talking about disrespect to elders, or drinking, or partying- that's always gone on, just in different ways throughout the ages. You're not going to change human nature in 50 years.

@Kestra: Ah, I see. Mighty nice hat, by the way. Should I shoot it? xd.png

How kids behave? In what respect?

In all honest, I don't think children (or young adults/teenagers) are any worst than they've ever been. If people are talking about disrespect to elders, or drinking, or partying- that's always gone on, just in different ways throughout the ages. You're not going to change human nature in 50 years.

Over here its how kids are allowed to more or less do anything they want short of killing and tearing there houses apart. Kids in elementary swear like sailors and it only gets worse as they grow into teens. And once the hormons start going hay wire they think everyone got to know whats going on in there head. If its sickmindedness then guess what comes out.

Its a bad case of lack of self control. I'll admit I do get gutter mind at times. But almost everyone I know hardly knows I ever do. Its disrespectful and unneeded. Same with the amount of swearing. You don;t need to swear every 2 words. Never mind drop the F bomb ever 2 seconds.

On top of all that there also the respect issue. A lot of kids over here think the world evolves around them. If you rnot doing what they want then your a few names that I do not need to mention. Then your sworn at then who knows what else. Yes elderly people seem to lack the same respect and personality the way they treat every one I could care less for them But I'm not about to walk up to them swear in there faces say they suck and walk off laughing.

Thats kind of what I was talking about heh./ends rant

Edited by little lost dragon

I agree completely. I don't really have anything to add to that, you said it so well.

I think we'll be ashamed that tobacco was ever legal.

Yes, this. My dad used to chew tobacco. It was disgusting. It can give you mouth cancer, and isn't cancer like the biggest thing we're trying to fix?