Yzarro

cultural things we'll be ashamed of in 50 years

About 50 years ago, people didn't think segregation was a big deal, and now we're ashamed of it.

What do we do now we'll be ashamed of in 50 years? Scary thing is, we very well may not have any idea of what it is.

Anyways, generally discuss.

Insert obligatory Justin Bieber joke here.

In seriousness? Reality TV.

How long it took for gay marriage to be acceptable.

... that, and probably the current pop craze...

That there is still racism and sexism.

That gay people are still looked upon by some as sick.

That we in the West have an obesity epidemic, yet children are dying for want of food and clean water in some parts of the world.

^ This.

I'm hoping for a future in which we wonder why it was even considered unacceptable in the first place.

And yeah, a lot of pop music today is just straight-up bad xd.png Not all of it, mind, but a lot of Top 40 stuff that makes me wonder how it's possible for that many people to vote it onto the charts.

There are some words in common usage today that some people object to; maybe in 50 years it'll be unthinkable to say them. Crazy, lame, and spaz are three that spring to mind.

And of course using "gay" as an insult is already on the way out, and hopefully will be thoroughly gone in 50 years.

There are some words in common usage today that some people object to; maybe in 50 years it'll be unthinkable to say them. Crazy, lame, and spaz are three that spring to mind.

And of course using "gay" as an insult is already on the way out, and hopefully will be thoroughly gone in 50 years.

If anything I'd think they'd become more widely accepted, until the original/root meaning of them becomes lost.

That we in the West have an obesity epidemic, yet children are dying for want of food and clean water in some parts of the world.

I get what you're saying (I think), but the phrasing comes off a bit more like, "The West is full of fat pigs who do nothing but eat, yet children are dying for want of food and clean water in some parts of the world." I've heard of cases of scurvy in America and know people who are overweight who do not eat enough food at all, so it's not quite that.

I think this is possibly more likely than the others listed so far. The others will go faster because they are wide concerns now. These sorts of things, however, are widely accepted still, so perhaps in 50 years, people will realize that spazzing isn't fun and to say they are when their body functions perfectly well is really unkind.

Perhaps in 50 years society will be ashamed at how the mentally ill and developmentally disabled are an acceptable target for all manner of horrifying practices.

We are talking about 50 years from now, not a year, not two, not ten. Think about things that you think are acceptable now that really shouldn't be, or things that, at least, aren't in the national and global spotlight.

I think this would be a big thing.

Probably some clothes, like baggy pants and skinny jeans.

everyone is picking really deep, controversial topics....Me on the other hand will be ashamed of planking and owling and such...

In fifty years we'll be ashamed of how lame our special effects were and how cool we thought they really were. ^__^

This is such an interesting question, and it's something I've wondered about a lot. Particularly when my grandfather-in-law uses a particularly repulsive and no-longer-acceptable word and then acts confused and upset when everyone stares at him. He doesn't think he's a racist at all, that's just a word that was okay when he was growing up and he's unable to adjust. I reeeeally hope that when I'm old, I'm able to adjust. xd.png

It's so hard to think of things, though, because we've been soaking in this culture for (in most cases) all our lives.

One thing I've wondered about is guys dressing as stereotypical girls in a silly/joking way (yellow mop on the head, bright red lipstick, balloons in the shirt, mincing around and talking in an exaggerated squeaky voice) for a skit or a Halloween costume. What makes me think of it is that it reminds me of the way that 70 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for white people in the US to dress and act like offensive, exaggerated stereotypes of other races for skits or Halloween costumes. It's complicated, though, because there are also respectful/artistic/self-expressive ways to crossdress.

Insert obligatory Justin Bieber joke here.

In seriousness? Reality TV.

^ God yes. D:

I've never understood reality tv.

Silly bandz. Hummers. Politics. Botox.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Hoy, live-altering for the better medication is not something to be ashamed of!

Cosmetic botox on young children?

But overall I suppose if it has legit medical uses it's okay - all things can be misused.

/goes to look up more stuff about botox

Yes, it has legitimate medicinal uses. It isn't a cure, but it is an extremely effective treatment for many different dystonias like torticullis and spasmodic dysphonia. Lets people hold their heads up straight, talk again, straighten their arms, stop squinting so hard that they can't open their eyes. Huge quality of life thing.

Also, I had heard the story about the kid getting injections was a hoax.

Yes, it has legitimate medicinal uses.  It isn't a cure, but it is an extremely effective treatment for many different dystonias like torticullis and spasmodic dysphonia.  Lets people hold their heads up straight, talk again, straighten their arms, stop squinting so hard that they can't open their eyes.  Huge quality of life thing.

Also, I had heard the story about the kid getting injections was a hoax.

Well, what I was referring to was the use of it for the pure purpose of looking younger. Apparently some people think that injecting themselves with foreign chemicals just to lose a couple wrinkles is fine.

Are you sure it was a hoax? I just looked it up real quick on yahoo's search engine and an article came up saying the mother lost custody of the child.

Woah, nevemind. Shows how up to dat on this stuff I am...

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/19/botox-mom-fa...medical-center/

Edited by Daydreamer09

Grill bling, World of Warcraft, designer dog breeds, Nintendo, Scientology, and prison systems are a few I can think of... =p

Honestly? I'd say depressingly little. Our culture isn't ashamed of the bloody Confederacy, or the fact that the US was basically created through genocide. There's a sort of vague background "Oh, yes. Bad things happened and that was sad. But it's over now, so stop talking about it. It makes privileged people uncomfortable, and that's what's really important." I don't see that mindset changing in fifty years.

What makes me think of it is that it reminds me of the way that 70 years ago, it was perfectly acceptable for white people in the US to dress and act like offensive, exaggerated stereotypes of other races for skits or Halloween costumes.

Actually, that's still perfectly acceptable in many circles.