Obscure_Trash

Religion

I was raised in a Christian church and as I got older, I began to question the teachings. Instead of being willing to have genuine conversations, the moment I began stopped following blindly, I was bullied, harmed, and had many negative experiences.

That didn't stop me though, as I still wanted answers.

This makes me wonder what they were actually teaching. I do not think folks should just be allowed to question, I think everyone in a church should make an effort to question what is presented so that all understand it better. I believe God wants a very personal relationship with each person and reaches out to each of us in very different ways. IMO, it is OK if someone's insights do nothing for you as long as you relate to God in a healthy way that works for you. Good for you for continuing to seek answers!

As I got older, I began figuring things out for myself and I decided that I no longer wanted to be associated with the religion. Doing so has resulted in my parents trying to cram it down my throat any and every instance it is convenient.

Frustrating as that is, I suspect they only do it out of love and caring for you. Is it possible to explain to them that organized religion is only one method of relating to God and what {actions attributed to their religion} drove you away?

I hate that people believe that you have be religious to have morals, because that is far from the case.
I also hate that the Bible is being used to justify actions that effect people outside of it's religion.
My mother and I disagree on the topic of gay marriage and she says that I can't argue it because it's her belief and can't be proven wrong.

No, I can argue it, when it begins to infringe upon the rights of others.

Agree, agree and agree! IMO, organized religions really need to focus more on getting folks to relate to God than on promoting the organization. Forcing your own view upon someone else that does not relate well to it is likely to backfire. And I'll never understand why anyone would want to waste energy preventing more love from being shown in this world when there are so many other needs that require help.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

Agree, agree and agree! IMO, organized religions really need to focus more on getting folks to relate to God than on promoting the organization. Forcing your own view upon someone else that does not relate well to it is likely to backfire. And I'll never understand why anyone would want to waste energy preventing more love from being shown in this world when there are so many other needs that require help.

We've actually been talking about this in Bible Study the last few weeks. The way (many) churches act now, as opposed to how Jesus actually taught. We've been reading about Jesus's life and all these different miracles and healings he did, and how he would talk about the love of God and having faith, but in everything we've read so far, not ONCE did he EVER go "okay, you HAVE to do this-and-this, because that's what I/God says". He gave these followers choices of whether to follow him on his journeys, etc.

I went to the church that these people go to for awhile, and that's what I felt, I left every single sermon feeling as though crap I didn't believe in was being shoved down my throat. I stopped going, and started attending Bible Study led by one of the members of the church... And suddenly I not only *like* learning this stuff, I feel *comfortable* with how it's being presented.

I'll just leave this here.

user posted image

Edited by KageSora

I knew that already, but still pretty fun to see it floatin' round the internet!

I knew that already, but still pretty fun to see it floatin' round the internet!

Yep.

A lot of people don't actually think about it and just assume Jesus was white. Until you actually point it out. xd.png

I'll just leave this here.

user posted image

Well if Jesus's dad was actually god, couldn't he be any race god felt like?

I'd hope that people would be surprised by Jesus's uncharacteristic looks and actually point them out in the scripture. His looks (especially blue eyes which he has in that picture) could be seen as another proof of godliness.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

I'd hope that people would be surprised bi Jesus's uncharacteristic looks and actually point them out in the scripture. His looks (especially blue eyes which he has in that picture) could be seen as another proof of godliness.

I'd note that scripture makes it clear that he was assumed to be Joseph's son by the people he grew up around (Luke 4:22, John 6:42, Matthew 13:55). That would hardly be the case if he looked markedly different. The only reasonable assumption is that Jesus did have the appearance of a local man - which would not have included blond hair, blue eyes, or very fair skin.

Well if Jesus's dad was actually god, couldn't he be any race god felt like?

Trying to make sense of religion is a mistake. Why not have jesus glowing gold?

Pope Francis Says Atheists Who Do Good Are Redeemed, Not Just Catholics

Thoughts?

I was always told that it's through grace, not deeds, that you get redemption. Your faith encourages good deeds and those with faith will more likely do good deeds, but that you need that faith to be redeemed.

Edited by KageSora

Thoughts?

I was always told that it's through grace, not deeds, that you get redemption. Your faith encourages good deeds and those with faith will more likely do good deeds, but that you need that faith to be redeemed.

Depends widely on what 'branch' of Christianity you follow (or what religion in general), I believe.

That said, some of the things this Pope has done and said so far as made me like him a heck of a lot more than the previous one (Benedict just looked...evil...to me on top of that).

Thoughts?

I certainly prefer the deeds methodology. I have always thought that the concept that you have to have faith in something unknowable in order to be assured a place in heaven seems the rankest sort of unfairness. It's like having to win the cosmic lottery.

If there is a heaven based on religious belief, and I managed to get in somehow because I am agnostic and not atheist (hard to believe, but whatever), I would be incredibly offended that good people were excluded just because of prejudice.

Thoughts?

I was always told that it's through grace, not deeds, that you get redemption.  Your faith encourages good deeds and those with faith will more likely do good deeds, but that you need that faith to be redeemed.

I agree with this, but I think the question then becomes faith in what?

Faith in the institution of religion is doomed to failure.

I believe it is faith in God, whether conscious or not. Without that faith, you can not have a healthy relationship with God; with faith, you naturally tend to develop that healthy relationship. And since God is the source of all life, we need a healthy relationship with our Creator to thrive beyond this life.

I also believe God reaches out to every individual in ways that will best connect with them; it is not "one method works for everyone". Thus, different religions connect with different folks, and it may be folks who never stepped in a church are redeemed.

The good works part comes in from scripture, where it was put forth that you could recognize someone who had been redeemed by their good works (because someone who truly loves God is less inclined to do evil). However, you do not "earn" your way into heaven with them.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

I'm an atheist who totally respects others' beliefs, as long as they don't try to push them on me or hassle me for not sharing them (which, unfortunately, happens a lot when you live in the "bible belt" like I do sad.gif).

I am Christian. But I don´t like this religion so I don´t believe in this. I had my confirmation (is it that? In english? Dunno) a few weeks ago. The lessons before that should actually help you to believe but it did nothing like that at all. It is maybe because it was so... unbelievable bad.

Well, at first the Bible. It´s totally unlogical. ´cause of the evolution theory for example. I thought we had this before that dinosaurs were the first animals that lived (apart from the little ones before). There are so many proofs for that.

And the next: Maybe Jesus has never lived. How can you proof it. And I had this discussion about where god is somewhere before but where is he. Invisible and everywhere sounds a bit strange. In the sky? No. Don´t see the point in that. And a parallel universe?

So there we have the problem of religion. It can´t offer the answers you search for. Not to me, and to many others.

So that was long but I felt bored. Please excuse mistakes you find, my English isn´t that good. (:

I'm atheist, meaning that I do not have a religion, and I'm proud of it. But I've never been in a church before except for piano performance classes where we play in front of all the parents. Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing...

I personally identify as agnostic, though leaning toward atheism.

I was raised in a Christian church and as I got older, I began to question the teachings. Instead of being willing to have genuine conversations, the moment I began stopped following blindly, I was bullied, harmed, and had many negative experiences.

That didn't stop me though, as I still wanted answers. As I got older, I began figuring things out for myself and I decided that I no longer wanted to be associated with the religion. Doing so has resulted in my parents trying to cram it down my throat any and every instance it is convenient.

I've decided that I'm going to live my life without the guidance of any religion, but rather try to help others and be as morally just as I can.

I hate that people believe that you have be religious to have morals, because that is far from the case. In fact, I have met more moral atheists then moral self proclaimed Christians.

I also hate that the Bible is being used to justify actions that effect people outside of it's religion. My mother and I disagree on the topic of gay marriage and she says that I can't argue it because it's her belief and can't be proven wrong.

No, I can argue it, when it begins to infringe upon the rights of others.

^^ This

pretty much sums it up for me.

Had a sermon earlier about what separates "non-believers" morals from "Christian" morals. Apparently non-believers do good things based on tradition and to make themselves feel good when they do something good for someone, whereas a "christian" does "good things" because it's "godly". So all non-believers are only nice because it makes them feel good? Huh, I never would've thought that, and heaven forbid I question their "unquestionable" and "100%" true sermons and belief system. If I question ANYTHING about what's being said, "lul nope, you aint a christian then if you question the word"

Edit: cause typos and ocd

Edited by BlightWyvern

Just gonna leave this here.

user posted image

Just gonna leave this here.

user posted image

I really, really like this. Thank you for sharing it.

I'm an atheist and I believe "The religion is the opium of people" in two meanings.

1)Opium was used as painkiller at the past, so relligion is something like a "painkiller" that people created to treat their "wounds". It isn't random that people turn into religion, at troublesome times.

2)Religions always used to put people down, as opium makes you unable to resist. Let's admit it but during times of exploitation church always was at the wrong side (she damned the revolution of 1821, at the civil war of Greece they were with the British, during dictatorship they were with Papadopoulos and much more) of course there are exceptions. Also their base protect the "order" and commits as a sin the change (every relligion has a bad afterlife place for bad people). This oppinion can be found at "the light that burns" of Varnalis.

Anyway I don't have any problem with someone who believes in god and there are also remarkable examples from people of religion who went against of unfair decisions of church (papaflessas for example) and I really admire them. Anyway living in a country in which the 92% claims himself as Christian Orthodox, you can't be racist with different.

One of the active posters here probably knows this. I was reading through Genesis and came across the story of Lot's wife. The one that turned into a pillar of salt. The bible doesn't appear to name her and a quick google search is fruitless. Does she have a name?

One of the active posters here probably knows this. I was reading through Genesis and came across the story of Lot's wife. The one that turned into a pillar of salt. The bible doesn't appear to name her and a quick google search is fruitless. Does she have a name?

I understand some Jewish traditions name her, but she isn't named anywhere in the text used for the Christian Bible.

Going to pop in here quickly.

I'm a Mormon that is LDS (Latter Day Saint). I know that I've heard that people 'fear' us or in particularly don't like our religion, but I wanted to say that we're not really as horrible as some people put us to be. I don't particularly care if some don't like us, but it won't change the way I think and believe. I believe in a God and I believe in Prophets and nothing can change my thought on my beliefs.

Forgive me, I saw this thread and felt compelled to say a little bit about my own religion. ^^

Going to pop in here quickly.

I'm a Mormon that is LDS (Latter Day Saint). I know that I've heard that people 'fear' us or in particularly don't like our religion, but I wanted to say that we're not really as horrible as some people put us to be. I don't particularly care if some don't like us, but it won't change the way I think and believe. I believe in a God and I believe in Prophets and nothing can change my thought on my beliefs.

Forgive me, I saw this thread and felt compelled to say a little bit about my own religion. ^^

I don't think anyone fears mormons, there just happens to be a whole lot of evidence that the religion is made up.