BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 420

Book Title: I, Claudius

Author: Robert Graves

Summary: An account of the life and times of the Roman emperor Claudius. Power and intrigues. Written as an autobiography.

Rating: 5/5

smile.gif

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: it was on Kindle so I'm not sure about pages but it has 33,500 words.

Book Title: Harvest Moon (Cat Clan)

Author: C.L. Bevill

Summary: Emma has been a were-cat and in the clan for a good couple of years and her growing attraction to its alpha disturbs her. But just as the two started getting somewhere Emma is kidnapped and taken to a facility with other abducted weres, where people pay vast amounts of money to hunt a shifter.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: Kindle: Annoyingly it didn't say, but it was longer then the Cat Clan one by some way link

Book Title: Maid for the Billionaire

Author: Ruth Cardello

Summary: Fairly typical boy meets girl, though Dominic is extremely wealthy and Abby is filling in for her sister as a maid in a house he never visits. His father whom he hates has just died and he's back in town for the Will reading. Thus starts their love adventure which ends with them both in Beijing and her saving his company from bankruptcy. Fairly standard and a little sickeningly sweet at the end for my tastes but the dialog was extremely funny.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: Kindle: 99950 words (approximate)

Book Title: Letters To My Mother

Author: Rebecca Heath

Summary: Set in the 1950s the book is about Kate, a 19 year old collage junior in Seattle and David a married professor and how they fall in love. Through September to May their relationship develops and changes until they have to separate when Kate becomes pregnant.

Rating: 10/10

Review: This not a typical love story, with a well though out plot and excellent dialog the characters where not only believable but really came alive. Its a real gem and I strongly recommend it. Now one of my favourite books which I plan on revisiting again and again.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: Kindle but amazingly it had page numbers! around 230

Book Title: Moon Dance

Author: J.R. Rain

Summary: Sam was attacked by a vampire 6 years ago and since has had to quit her day job and become a PI. When the victim of 5 gun shots to the head employs her to discover who shot him she finds out a little more then she anticipated.

Rating: 10/10

Review: Sam is wickedly funny and I just love the authors writing style, the plot doesn't get bogged down with too much romancey stuff and after finishing I immediately went online to find the 2nd book.

Edited by Chiaki

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 498

Book Title: Dead Beat (re-read)

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: Harry Dresden has to take on a horde of zombies, controlled by not-so-friendly necromancers, to save his city and the people in it, all the while trying to stop a black court vampire from ruining the reputation of one of his friends.

Number Of Pages: 144

Book Title: Lady Gaga Critical Mass Fashion

Author: Lizzy Goodman

Summary: A book that summarizes Lady Gaga's life, influences, and fashion choices. It has a lot of good pictures!

Number Of Pages: 417

Book Title: Extras

Author: Scott Westerfeld

Summary: Aya Fuse lives in a world based on reputation economy. The more famous you are, the more privileges you have. Aya goes in search of a wild story to tell that will make her famous. Unfortunately, it also puts her in danger.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 384 in the original edition, 195 in Word

Book Title: To Scotland, With Love

Author: Karen Hawkins

Summary: The second book from The MacLean curse series. Gregor MacLean and his long years' friend Venetia Oglivie find themselves in an amusing and complicated situation with some family members, friends, strangers and the 5 love stories connecting them.

Rating: 3.9/5

Book Number:5

Number Of Pages:373

Book Title:The Lord God Made Them All~~~re-read

Author:James Herriot

Summary:A continuation of Mr. Herriot's life as a country vet. It also has chapters of his trip to Russia as the on board vet for some sheep.

Rating:5/5

Book Number:6

Number Of Pages:912

Book Title:Kushiel's Dart~~~re-read

Author:Jacqueline Carey

Summary:Phedre no Delauney is marked by the gods to recieve pleasure from pain. As she trains to become a high class courtisan, she has no idea that she will one day be the guiding force of the salvation of her homeland.

Rating:5/5

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: The Dresden Files: Storm Front

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: Harry Dresden, wizard, is simultaneously called in to solve the mystery of a double murder by sorcery and hired to investigate a missing-husband case. Little does he know that these cases will lead to being accused of practicing forbidden black magic, chased by scorpions the size of bears, and caught naked in a massive thunderstorm. And as if that isn't enough, if Harry doesn't succeed in finding the killer, he's doomed to be executed for the very crimes he's trying to stop.

Number Of Pages: 158

Book Title: Animorphs #32: The Separation

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: Thanks to a freak accident while morphing, two sides of Rachel's personality manifest in separate but identical bodies. When their interests clash, it puts all the Animorphs in danger, resulting in a frantic race to get the Rachels to cooperate so they can be merged back into the one Rachel the Animorphs need.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 156

Book Title: Animorphs #33: The Illusion

Summary: In order to stop the Yeerks from putting to use a weapon that will cripple the Animorphs' ability to fight, Tobias allows himself to be captured, expecting the enemy to test their weapon on him and fail. But how long can he hold out against the torture while his friends scramble to find a way to rescue him?

Hey guys smile.gif I was wondering if i could join the challenge? I love reading and I really liked your idea smile.gif Hope I'm not too late to sign in biggrin.gif

Number Of Pages: 652

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (re-read)

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summary: Harry enters his sixth year at Hogwarts with a Quidditch Captain badge, new feelings for Ginny, and an obsession concerning Draco Malfoy's whereabouts. But inbetween all of this, he finds time to learn about Voldemort's past.. Which may become more important than he ever realized.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 353

Book Title: Hungry for You

Author: Lynsay Sands

Summary: Cale Valens meets restaurant owner Alexandra Willan who is opening her 2nd one and is running into all kinds of problems. And this is a really pathetic summary for such a good story, and this is a reread.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 334

Book Title: Every Breath You Take

Author: Judith McNaught

Summary: Kate meets a mysterious stranger and romance ensues...enter the boyfriend (who is about to be an ex) and lots more drama. Eventually there is a baby with the mysterious stranger and he doesn't know until more drama happens...then he rushes in to save the day...did I mention he's rich? And then he kidnaps her and the kid to a romantic wedding in Italy and they live happily ever after...yes, this book is full of drama...LOL

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Empire of Ivory

Author: Naomi Novik

Summary: When Temeraire and Laurence return to Britian, they discover the reason why the dragons did not show up in the battle against Napoleon. They are all horribly ill and Temeraire & Laurence are sent back to Africa to look for a cure.

Number Of Pages: 200

Book Title: Rules *re-read*

Author: Cynthia Lord

Summary: Catherine just wants a normal life, but having an autistic brother can make that dificult. To make things easier, she's been teaching her brother various rules, which vary from 'No toys in the fish-tank' to 'if the bathroom door is locked, knock'. One summer Catherine meets Jason, a surprising sort-of friend, and Kristi, who could be the next-door friend she always wanted.

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: To Kill a Mockingbird

Author: Harper Lee

Summary: Jean Louise 'Scout' Finch lives with her brother Jem and Father Atticus in southern USA. Around the time she starts school, her father -a lawyer- is asked to defend Tom Robbinson, a black man chrged with the rape of Mayella Ewell, a white girl.

Number Of Pages: 487

Book Title:Divergent

Author: Veronica Roth

Summary: Beatrice Prior lives in a world where people are divided into 'factions' determined by the qualities they value the most. Candor (honesty), Amity (peacefullness), Dauntless (bravery), Erudite (intellegance) and Abegnation (selflessness) Now that she has turned 16 she needs to decide if she wants to continue living in Abegnation with her family, or start fresh in a new faction, where she most likely won't see them again.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 303

Book Title: Victory of Eagles

Author: Naomi Novik

Summary: Laurence has been condemned to death for treason, Temeraire is locked away at one of the breeding grounds. Napoleon manages to land in England and is ready to conquer London. Temeraire sets himself up as leader of the dragons and the army is forced to reunite him and Laurence. Then they have to get ready for a huge battle against the French.

Review: Well, I read it in 1 day biggrin.gif (though I have to say I was very lazy today tongue.gif ). Too bad the library still needs to order #6

Count me in again, this year smile.gif  Hopefully I'll remember to post all of the books this time... think I forgot to post at least a dozen or so last year :s

Well, I finally have time to post my first 2 books...

Number Of Pages: 316

Book Title: Dark Curse, Nicolas & Lara (Dark series #19)

Author:Christine Feehan

Summary: Lara Calladine is haunted by childhood memories of being held prisoner in an ice cave and kept sane by the whispered stories told to her by her imprisoned aunts. They instilled mage and Carpathian magic deep within her and then helped her escape. She has spent years searching for the cave in hopes of finding the answers to the riddle of her past as well as finding her aunts who may have given their lives saving her. Nicolas De La Cruz has returned to the Carpathian Mountains - his homeland - on orders from his eldest brother, Zacarias, to bring news of a conspiracy to the prince of their people. He is weary of his long existence and plans to end it away from his brothers, where they will be unable to stop him once he has fulfilled his duty. Lara and Nicolas' paths collide in an explosive adventure that rocks the Carpathian world.

Review: Great book, ties in more family members, clears up some misconceptions, and give "Dark" fans more Carpathian history smile.gif

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: The First Eagle (Joe Leaphorn & Jim Chee Series #13)

Author: Tony Hillerman

Summary: For acting Lieutenant Jim Chee, the murder of a Navajo Tribal Police officer seems like an open-and-shut case when he discovers a Hopi poacher huddled over the victim's butchered corpse. However, Chee's newly retired predecessor, Joe Leaphorn, believes otherwise. Hired to find a missing biologist who was searching for the key to a virulent hidden plague—and who vanished in the same area and on the same day the policeman was slain—Leaphorn suspects both events are somehow connected. And the reported sighting of a "skinwalker"—a Navajo witch—has Leaphorn and Chee seeking answers to a deadly riddle in a dark place where superstition and science collide.

Review: Love these Native American mysteries... this is Hillerman at his best and he will keep you guessing though out the book smile.gif

Book Number:3

Number Of Pages:212

Book Title: Dealing with Dragons

Author:Patricia C. Wrede

Summary:A princess named Cimorene is very bored with her princess lessons so she runs away. She volunteers to be a dragon's princess and a dragon accepts. Princes and knights keep trying to rescue her but she refuses. She makes a friend who was the princess of an evil dragon. Her prince who was going to marry her accidentally opens a jinn's bottle, and the jinn was supposed to kill her, but she outsmarted him and instead got one wish. Wizards are plotting against the dragons with her friend's dragon and she melts the wizards. Her dragon becomes King.

I wasn't going to join, but I changed my mind.

Number Of Pages: 209

Book Title: Queen of Hearts

Author: Martha Brooks

Summary: A girl and her two siblings are diagnosed with tuberculosis. She watches her brother die and her sister get better before her eyes. She makes several friends and a romance, all in the hopes of getting over the disease.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 234

Book Title: The Vampire Files: A Chill in the Blood

Author: P N Elrod

Summary: Caught once more in the middle of a vicious gang war, Jack Fleming tries his best to make peace with the daughter of an old enemy and her rivals. But when more than half a million dollars is at stake, keeping himself and his friends alive might be more than Jack can handle--even vampires have their limits.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 147

Book Title: Animorphs #35: The Proposal

Summary: When Marco finds out his dad is thinking about remarrying, his emotional turmoil causes his morphing to get out of control...right in the middle of an important mission to foil the Yeerks' recruiting efforts. If he doesn't get a grip, Marco might just get himself and all the other Animorphs killed.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 142

Book Title: Animorphs #36: The Mutation

Summary: In an attempt to destroy a new model of seagoing Yeerk ship, Jake and the other Animorphs are captured by an amphibious race called the Nartec. If they don't want to end up as stuffed exhibits in the Nartec's museum, the Animorphs will have to ally themselves with their sworn enemy, Visser Three.

Number Of Pages: 1128 (paperback)

Book Title: A Storm of Swords ~reread

Author: George R. R. Martin

Summary: The 3rd and in-so-far longest book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series deals with the fallout from the battle of the Blackwater Rush both in King Joffrey's and King Stannis' courts, the planned wildling invasion in the north of the Seven Kingdom, several marriages - most of which have awful consequences, one way or the other, queen Daenery's conquest over several slaver cities and sets up for the following two books in the series.

Edited by lightbird

Number Of Pages: 108

Book Title: Homecoming

Author: Robin Hobb

Summary: A noble lady is banished because her husband is accused of treason. They end up in a jungle where they find a mysterious building. While others are going crazy, want to plunder the building or go home, she is trying to create a way to survive.

Review: I'd love to read more about this, 108 pages is not enough! tongue.gif

Book Number:7

Number Of Pages:169

Book Title:In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

Author:Bette Bao Lord

Summary:A young Chinese girl comes to america with her family and has a difficult time fitting in untill she discovers baseball.

Book Number:8

Number Of Pages:115

Book Title:Night

Author:Elie Wiesel

Summary:The true accounts of terror lived within the Auschitz and Buchenwald concentration camps. Told from shortly before his capture from his home in Transylvania, till the time Allied troops arrived.

Number Of Pages: 467

Book Title: Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince: book 3)

Author: Melanie Rawn

Summary: Andry, newly appointed Lord of Goddess Keep and Pol, son of the high prince both struggle to bring their lands in order while learning to control their own growing abilitys. Meanwhile, a deadly threat plots from the shadows.

Review: A nice end to the Dragon Prince trilogy. It ties up a lot of loose ends. I just Learned there is a second trilogy that takes place a few years later. Now I just have to find them.

is it too late to join? I also have a question about the manga...ya read a certain number of vols to reach the 500 pages right? And how would ya do a summary on them?

Book number 1

Number of Pages 372

Book Title Dolores Claiborne (reread)

Author Stephen King

Summary Dolores Claiborne tells, about how she came to murder her husband thirty years ago, when she is called in to question regarding the death of her elderly employer Vera Donavon.