BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 294

Book Title: Cry Wolf

Author: Pratricia Briggs

Summery: After 200 years Charles finally finds a mate in Anna, the severely abused omega from the Chicago pack. Because of her past, the two have difficulty cementing their bond until they are sent into the mountains to take care of a rouge and the resulting actions brings them closer together

I'll join, even if I'm unlikely to read more than 50 due to college.

Updated up to here. Sorry about taking so long, Freddyness was in the French Alps on holiday and dracodoctorwhofan forgot this had started up again.

-Clara954: Fanfiction is not counted at the moment.

-DragonLady86: It means re-reads in the competition.

-evangeline4532: I'm(Draco) not a big fan of writing summaries either, but they don't have to be very long.

Thanks everybody for giving us any corrections.

Edited by BookChallenge

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 365

Book Title: The Reluctant Vampire

Author: Lynsay Sands

Summary: Two immortals, Drina and Harper, get stuck babysitting a new teenager immortal (Steffie). Steffie is determined to play matchmaker.

...not so wild about summaries. I'd rather go back to the rating system with reviews. I'm crazy about this book, but my summary is lacking my enthusiasm. This was a great read and I love the Argeneau series.

Edited: Completely forgot to add the number of pages...oops

Edited by Shalarean

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 198

Book Title: How Children Learn Language

Author: William O' Grady

Summary: Pretty much what it says on the tin. This book explores the mechanisms which infants employ to learn words and their meanings, how to build and understand sentences and about the reasons for common infant speech mistakes, such as overgeneralizing, misspelling, leaving out words, as well as proof of how an infant's verbal comprehension usually exceeds its verbal performance.

Review: Pretty fascinating (and somewhat enlightening) stuff. c: I found it interesting how children mostly pay attention to what is stressed in the parent's speech and how overgeneralization often occurs not because the child doesn't understand the differences between something else and the object/subject of the name they're giving it but because they lack the vocabulary to name the novel thing. Also, interesting thing, that one about infants preferring the sound of nonsense words that have nearby consonants that are formed in the same regions of the mouth over ones whose nearby consonants are formed in different regions (such as the preference for -mb- over -nb- and so on).

By the way, you need to correct "summary" in the BBC code box in the first post, it says "summEry"

Edited by lightbird

Number Of Pages: 211

Book Title: The last Battle

Author: C.S. Lewis

Summary: A monkey decides to use a donkey dressad as a lion to take over Narnia and Eustace and Jill must defeat him to keep Narnia. They, apparently, fail but they died in their own world and thus go to the "real" Narnia.

Does a comic book count as manga?

Forgot:

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventur

Author: Georgia Byng

Summary: Molly Moon's mother is being Moody. Molly Moon is kinapped by an evil man, along with 4 different younger versions of herself. Along with two of her friends, her dog (and her dog'd puppy version) she restores time and everything goes back to normal. But then she finds out she has a twin brother she must find, and that's why her mother is so sad.

Edited by hotbottleo'water1

Number Of Pages: 734

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (re-read)

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summary: Harry enters his fourth year at Hogwarts where he is unwillingly entered in a dangerous competition known as the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Now he must figure out the mystery of who entered him while trying to avoid a painful death inthe process.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 362

Book Title: A Bite to Remeber

Summary: Actor and vampire Vincent Argeneau hires mortal PI Jackie to come help him figure out who is trying to destroy Vincents plays. A slightly strange, but good, love story. *reread*

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 370

Book Title: Vampire, Interrupted

Summary: Marguerite Argeneau has spent the last few of her several hundred years finding life mates for her family. Now she's looking for a career too, and so she decides to help her now daughter in law's old partner Tiny (Jackie's partner) in finding the mother to another immortal. Pretty fast paced story, she doesn't end up with Tiny, though later, she does find him a life mate....Tiny is mortal. One of my favorites. *reread*

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: Born to Bite

Summary: Armand is another member of the Argeneau series. His wives keep ending up dead, and considering how hard it is to kill an immortal, that makes people wonder. Enter council enforcer Eshe. She has been sent in to find out what is going on, and ends up finding her own life mate. I read this one once before, but didn't really remember much about it. I'm so glad I read it again! *reread*

Number Of Words: 68,917

Book Title: The Spider's Web

Author: Mistress of Matches

Summary: Sydney is a teenage girl with a troubled family history. She is invited to participate in a virtual reality game and meets with some old and new friends. The master of the game appears to know her as his savior. Despite her apparent hatred of him, he leads the players through several scenarios while on a quest to make her his.

Rating: 5/5

Review: This story is very intriguing, especially in whether the Game Master is actually evil. There is romance, humor, suspense, and mystery.

Edited by clara954

Number Of Words: 30,620

Book Title: Quid Pro Quo

Author: TwystedFate

Summary: Nora Muldoon works in a bookstore and lives with her father. She accepts a job offer of babysitting a really smart four-year-old. She doesn't think it will be any trouble until she meets his older brother.

Rating: 3.5/5

Review: This story is a funny concept, but gets very confusing toward the latter chapters.

Hi

I'd like to join too! smile.gif

These days I've started reading some books but haven't finished anything yet. I'll update when I finish them. wink.gif

Number Of Pages: 102

Book Title: Doctor Who - Revenge of the Judoon

Author: Terrance Dicks

Summary: The Doctor and Martha have to find out why Balmoral Castle has disappeared and what the Judoon are doing on Earth.

Hey, this is a great idea!! I own 500+ books and this would give me an incentive to go through them again. Although I'm halfway through one at the moment.

So I'd like to join in please! smile.gif

PS: Shalarean, I see that you are reading Sands' Argeneau series. How is it (since I don't see you rating them)? I have been debating whether to get them or not.

Number Of Pages: 504

Book Title: The 13th Reality: The Hunt for Dark Infinity

Author: James Dashner

Summary: When Tick and his friends Sofia and Paul are mysteriously winked into an alternate reality, they are caught up in a race to solve a series of deadly tests. Meanwhile, people in all realities are going incurably insane. To find a cure, Tick must pass the tests, team up with an old adversary, and not lose control of a dark new ability he is manifesting.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 141

Book Title: Animorphs #34: The Prophecy

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: In an effort to loosen the Yeerk hold on the Hork-Bajir race and upset their efforts to conquer Earth, Cassie allows the consciousness of a possible ally named Aldrea to inhabit her body. Cassie and Aldrea must learn to resolve their differences and work together to strike a blow against their common enemy, the Yeerks.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 144

Book Title: Animorphs #40: The Other

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: When footage of an Andalite appears on the news, it's up to the Animorphs to keep him and his loyal best friend out of the hands of the Yeerks. Not an easy thing, when they are each crippled in their own way.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 199

Book Title: The Vampire Files: Blood on the Water

Author: P N Elrod

Summary: After recovering a valuable stolen bracelet and implicating himself in two murders, Jack Fleming, vampire PI, has made a lot of enemies. He's caught between a gangster who seems to suspect his true nature and the daughter of an old enemy, both of them determined to see him dead. But that won't happen if Jack has anything to say about it.

biggrin.gif

I'd like to join! Especially because I'm reading the Warriors series, so I'll be reading lots.

Number Of Words: 42,064

Book Title: Reckless

Author: I-eat-Paste

Summary: Teenager Hannah Michaels has three problems in her love life. Those are her overprotective older brothers. They drive any other male that comes near her, except for her brother’s best friend. Since he is all that is available, she decides to go for it. Some of her friends help her out but her brothers are always there to impede her progress.

Rating: 1.5/5

Review: This story is very confusing to me. I like the basic plot, but the writing style was hard for me to understand. If you want to read this story, some parts of it are mature.

Number Of Words: 198,045

Book Title: Made To Dance Together

Author: Pretend Jane

Summary: 22-year-old Jessica Stein has controlling parents. She finally stands up to them and leaves law school for her dream job of being a back-up dancer. Her choreographer is slightly cold and very perfectionistic while her fellow dancers range from welcoming to outright jealous and vindictive. With the support of her best guy friends, she is able to do something for herself for once and tour around the country. A rocky relationship with Michael and mishaps with her rival and the press are obstacles that she has to overcome to continue her new career.

Rating: 5/5

Review: I enjoyed this story a lot, and I recommend it to anyone who likes the romance genre.

Pages: 257

Book Title: Cirque du Freak(A Living Nightmare) #1

Author: Darren Shan

Summary: In which Darren creates a new destiny for himself and Steve unwillingly. He ends up stealing a creature from a mysterious man at a freak show, then causing his friend steve to be bitten. In return the mysterious man, Mr. Crepsely has Darren make a deal with him in order to save Steve. Darren begins his journey as a vampire's assistant.

Pages: 241

Book Title: Cirque du Freak(The Vampire's Assistant) #2

Summary: Darren is introduced to the Cirque's crew and we find that he has not been eating properly. Well, his vampire side that is. Soon that problem is pushed aside, by the new appearance of a boy named Sam and a man by the name R.V. Darren soon makes friends with the boy, and R.V. slinks along in the background.

Pages: 224

Book Title: Cirque du Freak(Tunnels of Blood) #3

Summary: Darren is on the move once more, but instead of meeting a boy he finds a girl. A very pretty girl by the name of, Debbie. Darren finds himself smitten and decides to go on a date, but all the while he and Evra trail Crepsley thinking he is the cause of a series of murders.

When I get the time to I shall go read 4- w/e I can find! Don't have the munnies to buy the others QQ so I shall sit on the store's unforgiving floor and read.

Number Of Pages: 288 pgs

Book Title: The A Circuit

Author: Georgina Bloomberg/Catherine Hapka

Summary: Tommi, Kate, and Zara are all competitors in one of the finest barns, but they all come from different backgrounds. Tommi is the daughter of a rich entrepreneur, Kate comes from a suburban background and has to work hard to ride, and Zara is the daughter of a famous rockstar. They have their quarrels, but in the end they learn to look out for each other in the a circuit.

Number Of Pages: 592

Book Title: Beautiful Creatures

Author: Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

Summary: Teenage boy Ethan Wate falls for mysterious new girl Lena Duchannes, but when he discovers she is a witch, her destiny and history begin to unfold. It takes the death of Lena's uncle for her destiny to be revealed.

Number Of Pages: 344

Book Title: Between Shades of Gray

Author: Ruta Sepetys

Summary: 16 year-old Lina, her mother, and her little brother are deportees from Lithuania forced to work in labor camps. She and her brother battle through several deaths, including their mother's, until they finally receive the medical attention they so desperately need.

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: The Summer Before Boys

Author: Nora Raleigh Baskin

Summary: Julia and Eliza are best friends, spending the summer together. Julia's mother is serving in the National Guard and Julia spends all of her time trying not to think about what could happen. So the girls lose themselves in their summer, hanging out at the resort where Eliza's father works. But when they meet a new boy, neither one of them is prepared for what it does to their friendship.

Number Of Pages: 286

Book Title: Hunting ground

Author: Patricia Briggs

Summary: Charles and Anna go to Seattle to oversee the conformance of werewolf alphas from Europe, hear their concerns about the Marroks plans to bring their kind into the open and make deals with them. However people start turning up dead with no discernible pattern and they have a very angry Grey Lord how has it in for them

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 281

Book Title: The Ghost and the Goth

Author: Stacey Kade

Summary: Alona Dare was really popular (and mean) until she was hit by a bus and killed. She is stuck on earth as a ghost because of her unexpected and violent death. The only person that can interact with her is a Goth boy named Will who has always seen ghosts.

Rating:5/5

Number Of Pages: 870

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (re-read)

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summary: As Harry enters his fifth year at Hogwarts, he is faced with the prospect of rebelling against a horrible DADA teacher and also, discovering the mystery behind some mysterious dreams he has been having. But those dreams could lead to something which could mean the death of himself or even worse, the death of someone he loves.

I would like to join, I know I'm a little late but I don't think I'll have a problem considering the way I read. I usually have more then one book on the go at a time so reading 250 in a year ought to be a cinch.

Number Of Pages: 400

Book Title: 2nd Chance

Author: James Patterson

Summary: A shooting at a church leaves a neighborhood in fear and an eleven year old black girl dead. All evidence points to a racial hate crime, but as the bodies pile up, Lindsay isn't so sure. The man fires own two of her own friends, and kills another, forcing her to look closer to home. The Women's Murder Club is back together to find out the truth behind who is Chimera.