BookChallenge

250 Book Challenge 2011

All right, I'd like to join. Hopefully I'll get more reading done this year.

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 435

Book Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (reread)

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summery: Um... do I have to? Harry goes back to school while a mass murderer, recently escaped from the wizard prison Azkaban, is after his life. School life and general tomfoolery follow.

Book Number:2

Number Of Pages:503

Book Title:Black Trillium

Author:Marion Zimmer Bradley, Julian May, Andre Norton

Summary:The princesses' must each find a magical talisman to save their kingdom from an evil sorcerer and his pet tyrant.

Rating:3/5

Review:I found this book to be somewhat boring and lackluster.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 306

Book Title: Need

Author: Carrie Jones

Summery: Zara, the main character,moves to Maine after her stepfather dies. She discovers that she is being stalked by a creepy pixie king, and that the people in her new town are not all human.

Rating:5/5

Is there room for me? Because I'd like to join rolleyes.gif

Number Of Pages: 464

Book Title: Postcard Killers

Author: James Patterson

Summary: Two art students posing as a couple are traveling through Europe, leaving a trail of dead tourists and no evidence behind them. They move from city to city taunting the police by sending postcards detailing their murders. The father of one of their first victims and a journalist team up to catch them, and learn the horrific truth about why these students are killing.

Rating: 5/5 Another fantastic book by one of my favorite authors, it makes you kind of scared to go on vacation tongue.gif

And that ends my ability to read a lot, work intervenes. sad.gif

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 477

Book Title: Ghost Story: A Novel Of The Dresden Files

Author: Jim Butcher

Summery: From amazon.com: "When we last left the mighty wizard detective Harry Dresden, he wasn't doing well. In fact, he had been murdered by an unknown assassin.

But being dead doesn't stop him when his friends are in danger. Except now he has nobody, and no magic to help him. And there are also several dark spirits roaming the Chicago shadows who owe Harry some payback of their own.

To save his friends-and his own soul-Harry will have to pull off the ultimate trick without any magic...

Rating: 5 out of freaking 5!

Review: Darker than most of the series, and set at a breathtaking pace, this one blew me out of the water. I set a new personal best reading it, finishing in 9 1/2 hours. There is no slow down, and there are enough twists to make your head explode. All the darkness mixed in with Harry Dresden's trademark snark and wit made this an excellent read.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 306

Book Title: Marked

Author: PC Cast, Kristin Cast

Summery: Zoey is marked as a new almost-vampire and has to go to a school called house of night. She begins to learn about what it takes to be a high priestess for vampires.

Number Of Pages: 352 in the original edition, 155 in Word

Book Title: How to Abduct a Highland Lord

Author: Karen Hawkins

Summary: The book is the first from a series of novels about the MacLean family and their curse.

The MacLean and the Kincaid clans have been fighting for hundreds of years. After her brother was killed, Fiona MacLean concludes that the only way to stop the war between the MacLeans and the Kincaids is to marry the handsome rogue Jack Kincaid. However, their bogus marriage turns out to be more than merely an instrument for stopping the war between the clans...

Rating: 3.9/5

Review: I was pretty sceptical about the book - first of all, it was a bulgarian fan translation of the original book, and second, it was a love story. As I'm still not impressed with the originality/uniqueness of the plot, I appreciate the style of the author - the book was fairly easy and pleasant to read. I didn't like the sex scenes on every second page, though. It was just too much.

Number Of Pages: 329

Book Title: Howl's Moving Castle

Author: Diana Wynne Jones

Summary: I personally loved the book, the movie was awesome, but the book had so much more detail to it. Like her sisters for instance, Lettie and Martha switch lives to do what they want with their lives. Instead of what their mother wants them to do and...

**SPOILER** Howl throws a tantrum over a pretty lady named Lettie who is actually Martha, because she moves on from him to another man.**SPOILER ENDED**

Hehe, much more depth and I thought that the movie focuses too much on Sophie when her sisters are a huge part of her life.

Number Of Pages: 477

Book Title: Ghost Story: A Novel Of The Dresden Files

Summery: From amazon.com: "When we last left the mighty wizard detective Harry Dresden, he wasn't doing well. In fact, he had been murdered by an unknown assassin.

But being dead doesn't stop him when his friends are in danger. Except now he has nobody, and no magic to help him. And there are also several dark spirits roaming the Chicago shadows who owe Harry some payback of their own.

To save his friends-and his own soul-Harry will have to pull off the ultimate trick without any magic...

Rating: 5 out of freaking 5!

Review: Darker than most of the series, and set at a breathtaking pace, this one blew me out of the water. I set a new personal best reading it, finishing in 9 1/2 hours. There is no slow down, and there are enough twists to make your head explode. All the darkness mixed in with Harry Dresden's trademark snark and wit made this an excellent read.

Dude the whole point of the summery is to show people that you understand the story and have read the book. This is not a place to post amazon summery's.

Number Of Pages: 492

Book Title: The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters

Author: James Dashner

Summary: Atticus Higginbottom, more commonly known as Tick, leads a fairly ordinary life until one day when he receives a letter. A letter full of strange warnings, strange riddles, and strange instructions. The first in a series of twelve, the letter dares Tick to solve a riddle and embark on a dangerous quest to save lives in jeopardy. Along the way, he encounters monsters, bullies, and new friends in unexpected places. But to survive his initiation into a new life of high adventure, Tick must pull off an impossible heist--the theft of an incredibly powerful object from an incredibly evil woman.

Number Of Pages: 206

Book Title: The Hork-Bajir Chronicles

Author: K A Applegate

Summary: Tobias, a boy stuck in the body of a hawk, listens as a free Hork-Bajir (a race of bladed aliens, most of whom have been enslaved) tells the story of how his people lost the war for their freedom. It begins with the banishment of a disgraced Andalite prince to the Hork-Bajir homeworld with his family, including his daughter Aldrea. Aldrea befriends a young Hork-Bajir seer (a Hork-Bajir gifted with unusual intelligence) named Dak, and together they lead a losing fight to keep Dak's people from falling to the conquering Yeerks, a race of sluglike parasites that infest and control other species' brains.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: 1st to Die

Author: James Patterson

Summary: Homicide Inspector Lindsey Boxer finds herself on her balcony planning to kill herself with her own gun. With the threat of a rare and deadly disease, a horrifying case where newlyweds are being murdered on their wedding nights, and the death of a loved one, she doesn't think even her friends can help her anymore. Together with her friends, M.E. Claire, journalist Cindy, and ADA Jill they have formed the "Women's Murder Club". Ignoring the political boundaries between their jobs, the four women combine forces to catch one of San Francisco's most horrifying killers.

Edit: Can you please fix my name on the competitors list. It bugs me seeing it all crammed together. Thanks!

Edited by Sister of the Dragon

This looks like fun.. so if I may I'd like to join.

Shame I didn't see this thread earlier.. I finisched a couple of books earlier this week ^^

Number Of Pages: 287

Book Title: Black Powder War

Author: Naomi Novik

Summary: After their adventure in China, the dragon Temeraire and his captain Laurence are heading back to England. Along the way they get orders to pick up a couple of dragoneggs in Instanbul. When things do not turn out as planned, they steal the eggs and try to travel on, ending up in the middle of the war in Germany

Review: Book 2 had some slow parts, but this one has even more. Instanbul was not that interesting and it was a bit annoying to see them end up in a Prussian camp. But I am curious how this will continue anyway tongue.gif

Number Of Pages: 582

Book Title: The Star Scroll

Author: Melanie Rawn

Summery: Book 2 of the Dragon Prince trilogy. Prince Rohan and his Sunrunner Princess Sioned successfully united the land and are now raising their son Pol. But war is threating once again. Masul, ambitious young man who claims to be the son Roelstra, the former High Prince has come forward seeking to claim young Pol’s throne. Meanwhile, the sunrunners have unearthed an ancient scroll known as the star scroll, which warns of a danger of a different sort. The sunrunners ancient enemies, wielding unknown sorcery may be returning to the land.

Review: For all that the books took a different turn than I thought they would based on the provided summery of the first one, this series is quite captivating. I think the idea of communticating with sunlight (sunrunners)is pretty unique as well.

Number Of Pages: 134

Book Title: The Last of the Jedi: Return of the Dark Side

Author: Jude Watson

Summery:Ferus was sent to Samaria by the Emperor to solve a problem. He did but in doing so the Emperor was able to take the planet over. Ferus's looks like a traitor to the resistance. Blah blah and so on.

I REALLY hate writing down summaries of books I have read. dry.gif Please don't expect a deep description. I don't know why but I always have. Ask me a question about what happens but summaries are not my strong point...

Book Number 3

Number of Pages 522

Book Title Hearts in Atlantis

Author Stephen King

Summary Five separate tales all interconnected by the events of one single summer in the 1960's. Some are strange, as is Kings style. And others are rather normal in the events that take place. One of Kings rare books of strange and darkly magical happenings that are not filled with obvious and overt horror. There is fear and terror, but it's given in such a way as to be understood as part of daily life for any person to feel. Only the first (and a little in the last) has obvious supernatural elements to it.

Rating 5/5

Re-read:

Number Of Pages: 149

Book Title: The Last of the Jedi: Secret Weapon

Author: Jude Watson

Summery: Samaria has been taken. Rosha destroyed. Most people think Ferus is a traitor. He is feeling lonely because he can't contact his friends. Finally they do get in contact. They meet at a building that is/was used by the Empire so they can get information. Vader catches them, Ferus comes into the room and says he will take custody of them but Vader knows who Roan is and kills him.(I really hate that part...) Ferus tries to attack Vader with his lightsaber but is disarmed. He is sent to prison but the Emperor offers him a chance to learn how to defeat Vader. Ferus accepts.

Edited by evangeline5432

Book Number:4

Number Of Pages: 148

Book Title: The Worst Things in Life Are Also Free

Author: Jim Benton

Summery: Jamie Kelly and her friends embark on their quest to earn $300 before the summer is over, so they can go to an amusement park. As always there are hilarious twists and turns.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Claire de Lune

Author: Christine Johnson

Summery: Claire finds out hat she is a werewolf on her 16th birthday, The rest of the world despises werewolves out of fear. Claire has to deal with a lot more than her fur when she falls in love with the top werewolf hunter's son.

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Double Tap

Author: Steve Martini

Summery: A woman is murdered using a technique called "double-tap" where two bullets are fired off in quick succession; the book follows a legal team as they seek to protect the accused and find who the real murderer is, as well as their motive.

Number Of Pages: 325

Book Title: The Killing Hour

Author: Lisa Gardener

Summery: For years a serial killer has kidnapped pairs of women, setting one out as an easily found "map" that would lead to the other, hidden in some remote place. He disappears after the eight girl is found, but then reappears years later. It's a race against time to find the new missing girls before they die.

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: Hand of Evil

Author: JA Jance

Summery: A man, hand caught in a car door, is dragged to his death along a stretch of road; an elderly woman reveals a family secret to a young woman; a teenage girl goes missing, apparently running away from family troubles. These things are connected in a web of lies, incest, murder and molestation.

Edited by RheaZen

Number Of Pages: 288

Book Title: Burn Notice - The Fix

Author: Tod Goldberg

Summary: Michael Westen was a spy until he got burned. Now he has to find out who burned him while he does some jobs to get money. In this novel he has to help a woman whose husband is stealing her money. At the same time he has to stop a Russian spy from killing him.

You don't need to have watched the TV series to understand the book, but you'll enjoy it more if you know the general situation.

Number Of Pages: 452

Book Title: Blood Rites (re-read)

Summary: Once again, Dresdens opponents show up all at once, leaving him with a lot to handle. This time around he takes great risks to save someone who is particularly important to him.

Book Number:4

Number Of Pages:432

Book Title:All things wise and wonderful (re-read)

Author:James Herriot

Summery:A continuation of the true life tales of James Herriot, a country vet in Yorkshire England during the early 1900's.

Rating:5/5

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: Doctor Who - Ghosts of India

Author: Mark Morris

Summary: The Doctor and Donna land in India, where they have to find out why some people are disappearing and others are suffering mutations.