Cariux

Mass Naming/ Search function

oh so yes! this woulda been so helpful when i had 2 rename my over 500 dragons because they all lost their names since i was off for so long =P it took me days! xd.png

(separate post so it doesn't get lost)

Also, the lock boxes should be ticked as standard, so tou have to physically unlock them to change the name.

I love the look of that, but one thing I'd want to add is a lineage link. Whether it be clicking the dragons to go to their view page and from there their lineage page, or a separate link like on the teleport offers page. 100% of my names depend on their lineages, so it'd be really frustrating for me, and other people who name like I do, to have to look up each dragon, then remember where it was on the list.

Also, next to the dragon, it'd be good to have their code, in case you're naming a whole army of a certain breed and you need to be able to tell which is which. smile.gif

I love the look of that, but one thing I'd want to add is a lineage link. Whether it be clicking the dragons to go to their view page and from there their lineage page, or a separate link like on the teleport offers page. 100% of my names depend on their lineages, so it'd be really frustrating for me, and other people who name like I do, to have to look up each dragon, then remember where it was on the list.

Also, next to the dragon, it'd be good to have their code, in case you're naming a whole army of a certain breed and you need to be able to tell which is which. smile.gif

I'd like the lineage thing too, but I was just copying from the plan on the first post when I did that.

Gotta say I'm pretty neutral about this since I've been naming my dragons from the beginning back in '09 and never had to mass name any of them. :P

However, given the rather scary prospect of losing all your names after two months of inactivity (wonder what happened to that suggestion about letting dragons keep names until the names are tested...?), I think this would be a good suggestion. Many people who post questions about it comment on how long it would take them to rename. Anything helps, in that regard. ^^

That is PERFECT, dracocharky! I love the idea of name locking too since sometimes I accidentally write in the wrong box. x_x

I want this! Support 100%!

Although, I would also like a little blurb added that says something like "All Dragon Names are Unique to one another. Check to make sure the name you choose is available by making sure there is a checkmark in the availability column. An X means the name is already taken.". I see a lot of people in the Help forum that assume the reason their name isn't being taken is because it's inappropriate.

Another blurb could say something like "Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes."

Or, maybe just copy what the help page says:

"Each name is unique; no two dragons can have the same name. Names are non permanent; once named, a dragon’s name can be changed or removed. Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes.

Giving an inappropriate name to your hatchling may result in disciplinary action, such as the death of the hatchling, removal of all names on your account, or the loss of the ability to use the naming action."

That is PERFECT, dracocharky! I love the idea of name locking too since sometimes I accidentally write in the wrong box. x_x

I want this! Support 100%!

Although, I would also like a little blurb added that says something like "All Dragon Names are Unique to one another. Check to make sure the name you choose is available by making sure there is a checkmark in the availability column. An X means the name is already taken.". I see a lot of people in the Help forum that assume the reason their name isn't being taken is because it's inappropriate.

Another blurb could say something like "Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes."

Or, maybe just copy what the help page says:

"Each name is unique; no two dragons can have the same name. Names are non permanent; once named, a dragon’s name can be changed or removed. Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes.

Giving an inappropriate name to your hatchling may result in disciplinary action, such as the death of the hatchling, removal of all names on your account, or the loss of the ability to use the naming action."

:3

you have a point there, I guess you could easily add that in where the "inappropriate names" bit is at the top.

Support, and I second this sentiment.

I have to name dragons according to lineage a lot as well, so this would be extremely handy.

Hello there,

I've got an idea which people would be able to name and rename their dragons faster, in a more practical way.

For some people it would not be very useful, but I know it would be very helpful for some.

For example, a page similar to "Legacy Custom Sort", where there would be a box allowing us to edit the dragons' names as well, like this:

user posted image

Pros: More practical, would save time for those who will name/rename several dragons at once (and maybe change the order of the dragons, too).

Cons: May be slightly slow.

But the page could be also be simpler in some way in order to reduce slowness. Maybe adding an option of "Show all dragons", "Show 50 by page", "Show 100 by page" or something (for those who have slower internet connection)? Plus/or making the page specifically for renaming many dragons at once.

Updates (new ideas from the thread):

- Name availability check. It could be something simple like the regular naming page -- you write the dragon's name and it will show a "X" in case the name is already taken. So there will be no problems if a member names/renames many dragons but some of the chosen names are unavailable.

- Show lineage/Dragon's page. Unlike in the "Legacy Custom Sort", it would be interesting to have links directing to every dragon's page/lineage page. As mentioned, many people name their dragons by their lineage. And in case the dragon is caveborn and the page shows a link to its lineage, it would show "CB" in its place.

Example:

user posted image

What are your opinions about it? smile.gif Any ideas? Feel free to share!

Sorry if someone has suggested this before, I couldn't find any thread about.

My apologies for my English mistakes, it's not my native language. unsure.gif

Thank you for reading. smile.gif

Edited by Slytherin7

I'm just not sure why this is needed. With the "show unnamed dragons" filter, is there really a need for a special page devoted to naming a ton of things at once? Also, what would happen if multiple names attempted were already taken...?

IDK. If people would use it then sure, but it doesn't seem particularly useful to me.

If there were a practical way to implement it I'd use it.

I tend to go on naming sprees, name a dozen or so dragons at once until I run out of ideas. Then I stop until I hit an inspiration and go on another spree. Right now I have few hundred dragons still waiting on me to feel inspired, so yeah doing multiple dragons at once would be a boon.

This suggestion reminds me of the time when I named almost 500 dragons on my scroll and it took 4 days. Perhaps this suggestion would be more conducive to mass naming.

I think we REALLY need to think about ADP's point about what happens if one of the 170 names you add is taken - will that kick ALL of them out and you get to start over...

I'd rather just hit the unnamed page and do them one at a time from there. I need to see the lineage etc before I name them anyway.

Hello there,

I've got an idea which people would be able to name and rename their dragons faster, in a more practical way.

For some people it would not be very useful, but I know it would be very helpful for some.

For example, a page similar to "Legacy Custom Sort", where there would be a box allowing us to edit the dragons' names as well, like this:

user posted image

Pros: More practical, would save time for those who will name/rename several dragons at once (and maybe change the order of the dragons, too).

Cons: May be slightly slow.

But the page could be also be simpler in some way in order to reduce slowness. Maybe adding an option of "Show all dragons", "Show 50 by page", "Show 100 by page" or something (for those who have slower internet connection)? Plus/or making the page specifically for renaming many dragons at once.

What are your opinions about it? smile.gif Any ideas?

Sorry if someone has suggested this before, I couldn't find any thread about.

Thank you for reading.

I like this idea. I name frozen hatchies in large batches (16+ at a time, quite often), and this would make it a lot easier for me to do it.

I REALLY like this idea, especially since I have waaaay too many dragons I've been procrastinating on naming.

I think this suggestion could actually work, if things were just ironed out. Like, if names are already taken, the other names could go on through and there could be a "notice: name taken" or something next to the name when it's refreshed.

(What I'm picturing: Something like the picture above. Type in the names for, say, 20 dragons. Hit submit. The page will, obviously, refresh, showing the same-ish picture but with the dragons named, and any names already taken will instead have a notice to that effect right there on the page.)

And personally, as someone who has tons of dragons to name, it's "needed" in the sense that it would be a LOT easier (and save a lot of time) to do this all on one page then open up 20+ tabs in order to tab-name-tab-name-tab-name-etc etc etc.

And just for me, it'd be nice to see the names I'm putting in all together like that, because more then once I've named dragons REALLY similar things within like three minutes of each other because I just wasn't thinking. If I was doing what it shows on that picture, though, I'd *see* that near-identical name just three spaces up and go 'oh!'.

This seems a bit useful, I hate having to click a million times just to name all my unnamed dragons, and doing them all in one setting would be awesome!

I think we REALLY need to think about ADP's point about what happens if one of the 170 names you add is taken - will that kick ALL of them out and you get to start over...

I'd rather just hit the unnamed page and do them one at a time from there. I need to see the lineage etc before I name them anyway.

I would assume that - in addition to the "x" that displays after entering a invalid name - after submission, any invalid names would be skipped over but the rest would go through.

for example:

i name 5 dragons

_untaken1_

_untaken2_

_taken1_

_untaken3_

_taken2_

if i hit submit it tells me 3 and 5 didnt go through, when i go back to actions i have

untaken1

untaken2

__

untaken3

__

I would absolutely use this.

If you looked at my scroll right now, you'd see that there are probably around 100 unnamed dragons hanging out at the top. I'm someone who names ALL their dragons, but I'm severely, severely behind right now, and this happens to me fairly regularly.

Agree with Akrona about how the invalid names should be treated - after submission, the available ones should go through, and an 'X' should appear beside the box for those that need to be redone. It would be the most frustrating system in the entire world if it just dropped all the names because one was already taken.

I had actually thought about this few days back, when I fell behind on naming my dragons and had about 20+ to name. It's nice to know someone else would like to see this implanted, and as someone who tries to name all of their dragons, I fully support this idea.

If each sprite were linked to the individual dragon then I'd totally use this (I'd open the links in a new tab to check the lineages, since I name based on ancestor names).

Edited by diaveborn

I'm glad there are many people who support the idea happy.gif

Once I decided to rename most of my dragons (so I can tell which ones are CBs by their names) and it took me a long time until I'm done. So I thought about people who have thousands of dragons and they have many dragons to name/rename. Maybe an update can be very useful in the case.

Ooh it's true! I agree with the name availability check and lineage link ideas! I totally forgot about those xd.png I'll add them to the first post.

Edited by Slytherin7

While I wouldn't use this often, there are times I go on name and more so re-naming runs and this would be useful. I think it would be used enough by enough people to be worth doing as, unless you name every dragon all the time as you go, the number of steps required is really excessive.

When names were permanent or you are doing a BSA and TJ wants you to be sure so he doesn't have to listen to you whine, I get the extra Are you sure steps. But that doesn't really apply to names unless you think its funny to write curses and get dragons killed.

However, I think multiple naming should be under the actions menu (like teleports pending) and I'd use a different interface. IDK how I'd design it because my answer for this would be "whatever is easiest for TJ."

I would absolutely use this.

If you looked at my scroll right now, you'd see that there are probably around 100 unnamed dragons hanging out at the top. I'm someone who names ALL their dragons, but I'm severely, severely behind right now, and this happens to me fairly regularly.

Agree with Akrona about how the invalid names should be treated - after submission, the available ones should go through, and an 'X' should appear beside the box for those that need to be redone. It would be the most frustrating system in the entire world if it just dropped all the names because one was already taken.

Yes. Agh, I just lose inspiration so quickly and have a lot of growing things, it just compiles onto itself.