Cariux

Mass Naming/ Search function

I have over 800 dragons and it will probably take me hours just to name/rename each one of my dragons. So, there should have a mass naming mode so I don't have to click Name/Rename button under actions on every dragon.

What I would want would probably something like this:

user posted image

The Lock/Unlock button is a fail safe just incase you accidentally changed/deleted the name you wanted to give to your dragon and forgot what it was supposed to be. The name won't be locked if it is already taken which is why there is an x and check mark next to it if there are changes to the name.

The Save/Cancel buttons are there if you are sure of all the new names is there to keep or if you changed your mind and decided not to change the names.

The search function would show the breed, bsa, or (name/part of dragon here) that is on your scroll as a result. It would also be nice if the results shows and changes as we type like the google search.

It also wouldn't hurt to have BSA stuff under every egg action if it is available. (Yea, I know there are threads out there that are discussing this particular one.)

Thread merge, but another OP had some really great pictures, so here it is below.

Hello there,

I've got an idea which people would be able to name and rename their dragons faster, in a more practical way.

For some people it would not be very useful, but I know it would be very helpful for some.

For example, a page similar to "Legacy Custom Sort", where there would be a box allowing us to edit the dragons' names as well, like this:

user posted image

Pros: More practical, would save time for those who will name/rename several dragons at once (and maybe change the order of the dragons, too).

Cons: May be slightly slow.

But the page could be also be simpler in some way in order to reduce slowness. Maybe adding an option of "Show all dragons", "Show 50 by page", "Show 100 by page" or something (for those who have slower internet connection)? Plus/or making the page specifically for renaming many dragons at once.

Updates (new ideas from the thread):

- Name availability check. It could be something simple like the regular naming page -- you write the dragon's name and it will show a "X" in case the name is already taken. So there will be no problems if a member names/renames many dragons but some of the chosen names are unavailable.

- Show lineage/Dragon's page. Unlike in the "Legacy Custom Sort", it would be interesting to have links directing to every dragon's page/lineage page. As mentioned, many people name their dragons by their lineage. And in case the dragon is caveborn and the page shows a link to its lineage, it would show "CB" in its place.

Example:

user posted image

What are your opinions about it? smile.gif Any ideas? Feel free to share!

Sorry if someone has suggested this before, I couldn't find any thread about.

My apologies for my English mistakes, it's not my native language. unsure.gif

Thank you for reading. smile.gif

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I totally agree with this! I think it's a brilliant idea!

The BSA listing idea has been brought up in several different posts, although I think it would fit perfectly with this idea.

I name all my dragons and it would be nice to be able to change/create names for them all at once. It's kind of a pain when you have several dragons that need to be named and you have to go through each individually.

I'm not sure I understand the search function, though. Are you suggesting a google-like search bar that would then return the closest named dragons to that name? Like a search engine? If so, I agree with this. Although, I would like to see it return ALL similar names instead of one or two. That way, you could look up lineaged dragons really easy. For example: I would type in "Thuwed" and get all dragons with that in their name. (If this is what you meant, then just ignore my rambling. LOL)

Also, maybe, on the search option, give an option to "Search entire name for this word" or "search names containing this word". That way, when you type in "Light" you could get dragons with "Light" in their name or dragons with "Sunlight" as well as just "Light". Similar to the Forum's search option, is what I mean.

This idea was brought up on this thread. Basically, the idea is to have one page where we can rename all our dragons at once, instead of having to rename each one individually.

Thoughts?

This sounds like a great idea! I'd really like to have this in the cave. smile.gif

All the users that have lost all their dragon's names after inactivity will probably love this as well, it'll save quite a bit of time in the over all renaming process!

Edit: Obviously not all of them will be available, but still, over all it makes things easier. happy.gif

Edited by Flérida_Pagan

This sounds like a great idea! I'd really like to have this in the cave. smile.gif

All the users that have lost all their dragon's names after inactivity will probably love this as well, it'll save quite a bit of time in the over all renaming process!

Just remember you probably won't be able to get them ALL back. If you'll be away for a long time - it's a good idea to ask a mate to check in as you once a month, Like a scroll sitter, kind of. smile.gif

This would be such a great help, cause the other day I was trying to name all my drags and it was BLEH because I had to keep scrolling down, and down, and down, and then back button, down, down, down. Really annoying.

This would be nice. I mean, even if you don't have a bunch you'll be (re)naming, you can still get use of it if you happen to have several that are ready to name at the same time. It'd be a bit of a time saver, even if you're only naming like 4 or 5. If possible, I'd love a feature like this!

I dunno, I don't see that much of a use for it. When I name dragons - and I usually name between 15 and 40 at a time - I click the link to their actions page with the CTRL key pressed, opening the actions page in a new browser. It really isn't that much of a hassle in my opinion. At least not much more than with the proposed changes, I think.

And if I'm looking for a special dragon - I usually know which breed name X belongs to, and can open the respective page pretty easily. (I use a custom rainbow order, so it's usually a matter of no more than three clicks to find the correct page. FYI, I have a little over 1550 dragons and my account set to display 50 dragons per page.) Once I have the correct page open, I simply use the Windows search feature (CTRL+F), and voilà, there's my dragon. This even works for breeding, you know?

I've had days where I'm naming/renaming 40+ dragons a day... and I still don't really think this is necessary. As long as it's optional, though, I don't mind it.

I've had days where I'm naming/renaming 40+ dragons a day... and I still don't really think this is necessary. As long as it's optional, though, I don't mind it.

How would this not be optional? o_o That would mean completely getting rid of naming as it is now, rather than boosting it, lol.

+1 support. Silly me is still fine-tuning surnames, and with over 900 dragons, my renaming sprees can be a bit tedious.

YES! xd.png

I definitely support this. I was thinking about this idea the other day and was ALMOST about to create a topic for it. Glad I looked first! tongue.gif

Anyway, I pictured the SAME layout for mass naming dragons. I have a lot of them still unnamed and I'm also getting to the point that I am forgetting if I already used the name or not. With the mass naming option I can scroll through my dragons to make sure that the name is not already taken AND can name multiple dragons at once. biggrin.gif

There could be a "Mass Naming" option when you click on "account" and then you would see the layout as shown in the first post! biggrin.gif Brilliant! xd.png

I support this, I was just thinking of how hard it was to rename all my CB dragons. I renamed 500+ dragons and would love to be able to do it all on one page.

However, would it also let us swap names for dragons?

Say like, you have a name 'Sleighs' on a hatchling to save it. And then you decide to swap it with a dragon that already has a name. Would you be able to click the lock button and swap them without having to unname one, then rename the other and vice versa?

Yes, please! This would be great when I want to mass name -- I never mass name because of how much of a hassle it is, and hate thinking of names on the spot, since I feel terrible if I leave them for even a little while.

THISTHISTHIS.

This would be SO helpful to me at the moment. I know I'll probably have finished my naming if/when this gets implemented, but I'll likely need it again anyway.

Oh my yes mass naming please, please so much. I was just thinking about suggesting this, but its good to see other's share my thoughts.