Cariux

Mass Naming/ Search function

So I'm working on renaming my dragons (because they got their names wiped since I wasn't on in a while) and I was thinking that it might be easier to name dragons if there was a page where you had pictures of the dragons in the order they appear in, then next to them would be fields where you could enter their names and hit submit at the top or bottom. I didn't realize there was already a thread going on about this, but I'm totally for this idea! xd.png

Edited by SPness

Could we maybe have a way to rename are dragons all at once or remove their names all at once? Instead of clicking on every dragon and renaming them one by one?

I have quite a few dragons, and I want to name/rename them but it would take hours to do that.

Renaming them will take hours anyway, since you have to rename them one by one. However, you don't need to un-name them before renaming - so even a scroll-wide unname feature wouldn't do you any good. Plus, there's the question of security. Some people here have evil siblings, roomies or other people playing on their computer, others got hacked in the past. If these people are truly evil, they could erase all your names with a couple of clicks.

Renaming them will take hours anyway, since you have to rename them one by one. However, you don't need to un-name them before renaming - so even a scroll-wide unname feature wouldn't do you any good. Plus, there's the question of security. Some people here have evil siblings, roomies or other people playing on their computer, others got hacked in the past. If these people are truly evil, they could erase all your names with a couple of clicks.

You make a good point, Olympe, regarding security; but honestly if someone with truly evil intent hacked or otherwise accessed one's scroll, they could do far, FAR worse than simply stripping names off of dragons. At least, if that was the worst someone did (As admittedly infuriating as it might be to have to rename everyone and fix the security breach) while they were on my scroll, I'd count myself relatively fortunate. A 'troll on your scroll' could, without doubt find any number of ways to create havoc.

They could simply kill or release your rarest and most valuable dragons with very little trouble if they wanted to.

Edited by Silverswift

I know that. But they'd have to hop through several hoops for every single dragon. Making things easier for trolls seems like a bad idea in any case.

Plus, as I pointed out, there's hardly any benefit to a scroll-wide unnaming feature. And renaming several individuals at once doesn't work, either, since you have to enter every single name anyway.

Edited by olympe

Renaming several individuals at once doesn't work, either, since you have to enter every single name anyway.

True, BUT like you said with the troll killing or releasing dragons; there'd be fewer hoops to jump through.

Less clicks and stuff.

I am not saying that you are wrong about it being a potential security issue, because it sort of is IF someone managed to access your scroll; and some people have issues with trolls bombing and killing their things and making life difficult as it is. Just that the argument of fewer hoops works both ways, in this case.

WHY should decent ToS abiding users have to jump through more hoops JUST to make life difficult for trolls?

I agree that power for trolls is a bad thing; but what about the rest of us? That is my big argument against passwords on hatcheries as well, if you want the truth. ( Aside from the fact that it is uncertain how much that measure would even help)... I don't like being punished or inconvenienced for someone ELSE's possible wrongdoing.

Bearing in mind that trolls are gonna troll whatever we do to try to stop them.

Edited by Silverswift

But what would the benefit of a mass unname be for a player?

But what would the benefit of a mass unname be for a player?

I'll admit, I am not sure it is a thing I'd use myself.

I think the one who posted the idea believed that it would be helpful in order to rename dragons. I don't know that I would want to strip the names off all my dragons... ALTHOUGH I think the mass RENAME might be useful. Moreso than the unname feature I mean. Meh, I guess I am in favor of more tools for users to possibly make use of , rather than less, even IF I don't know that I'd use them myself.

Edited by Silverswift

Yes, the system proposed further up the thread just might work. However, I wasn't aware of that suggestion since I don't remember the original thread this one was merged with. *shugs*

I think it would be especially useful with a sort option to put unnamed dragons on top and an additional lineage link on the page - so you can check the lineage before naming. Might come in handy for Thuweds, Dorkfaces, Dusks and the likes.

I agree, Olympe, some sort of sort feature would be helpful, as would a lineage link.

I OFTEN base dragon names for my lineaged babies on their lineages, so...

AS for the question of what happens if a name you selected is already taken, I think it would work BEST if it ONLY kicked back the names that were duplicates or invalid in some other way. PERHAPS some sort of indicator that the name is invalid before you click would be good, if that is too complicated to implement? ( Mind you I am not TJ and have NO idea how hard it would be to do either). LIKE we have an x or a check currently? Just an idea, mind you, and looking back at the thread I see that something like that was already suggested. I can see how it would be annoying to have entered a hundred plus names only to have them ALL kicked back because ONE of them was a duplicate or had an invalid character in it.

Edited by Silverswift

Oh goddess yes yes YES to this!

Right now... I am going through process of renaming (and naming) dragons to new prefix-gen-midname-suffix system... and the amount of dragons I have for doing it is... plainly enough, overwhelming.

Surely, once everything is named, one possibly doesn't need this, but it would certainly make naming bunch of dragons at once easy.

Support.

I often let my naming go for several weeks and then catch up on it all at once. A page where I could deal with all of my unnamed dragons at once would be fantastic- opening 30+ individual pages is a pain in the butt :l

Support.

I often let my naming go for several weeks and then catch up on it all at once. A page where I could deal with all of my unnamed dragons at once would be fantastic- opening 30+ individual pages is a pain in the butt :l

OMW. That is a lot of pages.

That... is one reason I try NOT to let myself get too behind with the naming. I could very quickly get WAY behind if I didn't keep on it. So... I definitely support a mass naming feature, provided that something is implemented to keep EVERYTHING from being rejected if ONE name i already taken.

Well, I name ALL of my dragons as I go along! The first letter of both the First Name and Surname of a Cave Born Dragon is determined by moving backwards and forwards through the alphabet in a planned sequence. I have other naming rules too....*OCD'ed out!*

So, no need for me to mass name any of my valued dragons. If it has a face it should have a name, people! This is outrageous! Stop neglecting your dragons! I shall call the RSPCD (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Dragons) mad.gif

Lol! But yeah, I support this for those who need to mass name!

Edited by Sinion Kabe

I definitely support this!

I've got 300+ dragons that I named so long ago I don't even remember why I named them that way... with this, I could actually give them sensible names without having to click through every single action page. cool.gif

Edited by RabbitPup

support although I likely wouldn't use it as I always look at the parents while I mass name and try to name based off of the parent or what the lineage looks like.

I still fully support this! I have caught up on my naming and now try to do a naming-sweep once a week or so, to catch any that have hatched/grown within the week, so I don't have tons of dragons to name. But there was a time when I did, and there probably will be a time in the future as well. An easier way to name a load of dragons would be wonderful.

I can't really see a downside to this, although I would probably not ever use it. I tend to name my hatchies as soon as they gender, with the exception of my Splits which are named as pairs, so I name them the first time I find a proven mate for them. But it would make naming easier for those who tend to put it off and have dozens (or hundreds!) to name at one time.

If that means that more of the eggs I pick up in the AP would have named parents I would like that. wink.gif

Oh I would LOVE this! Had to remove the oath banner from my signature because I've fallen SO behind on naming my dragons. The bar on name repetition makes it harder... dry.gif