AmberEmber

The Franklin Hayne Orphanage

Skyla started to read the book, staying a little longer on each page so Mouse could look at the pictures. Every once in a while, Skyla would glance over at Mouse to see the expression on her face. Skyla smiled. She loved to read to little kids, especially when they were so focused on the book.

Skyla finished the rest of the book and looked over at Mouse, "Did you like the book?" she asked her.

Mouse nodded, she had liked it. She was also pretty happy with herself as she had got the storyline pretty much right on her own. Mouse heard the door open and a set of heavy footsteps enter, no orphan wore shoes of that quality. She peered around Skyla and saw one of the employees drop a heavy cardboard box on the floor then leave, grumbling to himself.

As soon as he had left a loud tone played over the intercom, this sound signaled the official start of break. They would have one hour until testing started again.

Mouse shuffled out from under the bed and peered into the box the man had left. Goldmine! New books! A huge smile stretched its way across her face as she dropped to her knees and started pulling books out. She opened the cover of one and saw a label that read "Property of St. James Library" Not that Mouse could read it, but she assumed the books had been donated as none of them were in excellent condition.

She pulled out a book with a picture of a large spotted cat on the front, flicking through the pages Mouses glee reached new levels, it had lots of pictures of lots of different kinds of animals and it didn't seem to be missing too many pages either! With the book clutched in one hand Mouse rushed back to Skyla to show off her new favourite book.

((I figure its about break time now, as everyone has had their shots (I think)))

Rocket was relieved to see that she was walking straighter. She’d made it over to Chip without passing out, throwing up, or even falling once. Chip was clutching his legs, and she was concerned something might actually be very wrong. The sickening feeling grew as Chip confirmed her suspicion. Rockets eyes widened and alternated between looking at Chips legs to his face and at the staff. Of all the people here to damage that way, they chose him. That was something they would regret.

“Fix him! If you can't, then I'll fix you!" Ash had grabbed a member of staff and yelled at her. Kit seemed to be thinking along the same lines as Rocket, No way am I letting a member of staff near Chip again. The little six-year-old was trying to drag Chip and his chair away, yelling back at Ash.

Ash continued talking, holding the woman with a tight grip. The lady’s scream pierced the air, and Rocket yelled. “Ash! Shut your mouth now!” Rocket glared, though it was mostly directed at the woman in Ash’s arms. She really hated all these scientists. “Kitten, go to your bunk. I’ll be there shortly.” Kitten had seen more than enough for a girl her age, and Rocket wanted her out of the experiment room chaos. Let the girl start her break early.

Rue moaned and sat up, looking around. She was in the dorm room, lying on one of the cots. Her sister must have brought her here. "Good old Andy," she thought. Rue had a headache, but it was bearable and was starting to wear off. she heard a soft voice behind her, and got up to check it out. It was Skyla, and she was reading to Mouse. Rue curled up next to them and listened to the story.

(( is that okay?))

((Yeah, that's fine, but I haven't started reading yet. xd.png))

Skyla bent down and looked at the book. A large spotted cat was on the front cover, and the book seemed to be fairly new. She looked up at Mouse's face and clearly saw that she was over-joyed that all these new books had been donated. Skyla smiled and gentely took the book out of Mouse's hands. She sat down and patted the spot next to her, signaling for Mouse to sit down. Skyla looked up again and saw Rue standing there, watching them. Did she want to listen to the story too? Assuming so, Skyla patted both of the spots next to her, now sinaling for both Rue and Mouse to sit down so she can read the book to them.

Mouse shook her head and took the book from Skyla, opening it to a random page. It was not a story, but some kind of animal dictionary. It had a picture or two of each animal and a small amount of text about it. Mouse looked at Rue and pointed at the box, indicating that if she wanted to hear a story she could pick one out.

Boon, who had been left by the new books, scampered to the wall, put his nose to the floor and started searching for food. Smiling a little Mouse flicked though her book until she the page labeled 'mouse'.

Now Mouse couldn't read well but she could understand words she saw often such as 'laboratory' and 'experiment,' and she could defiantly understand the pictures. Confused, Mouse looked up at Boon who was happily living his life the way he wanted to the pictures of the mice in cages in the book.

She glanced at Rue and Sky, we are the lab animals? The orphanage was all she knew, but her thoughts strayed back to Where the Wild Things are, and the happy faces of the mother and son and Mouse began to cry.

Skyla watched as Mouse flipped to a certain page in the book and examined it. Mouse looked up at Skyla with a confused look, and then unexpectantly, started to cry. Oh no, what had she seen in the book? Skyla was different then most of the people in the orphanage, most of them could be affectionate, but not really know how to show it, but for Skyla, it somehow came naturally to her. She went over to Mouse and hugged her gently. "It's okay," Skyla whispered calmingly into Mouse's ear, trying to get her to settle down.

Edited by angelkay

Chip knew something like this would happen once the words had spilled out of his mouth. Instantly Ash was trying to take control by dragging a staff member over and threatening her. He felt his chair suddenly lurch backwards and glanced over his shoulder to see Kitty pulling him away with all her might. She might have been small, but she was strong for her age. Rocket suddenly starting barking orders in order to halt the chaos that would have ensued if any further actions were taken. Doll remained in the background, returning to her quiet wall-flower state as she clutched her doll to her chest. Her eyes were round with fright, and she wouldn't stop staring at his legs. Had she even gotten a shot yet? No, that wasn't important at the moment. Now that things were starting to calm down in his realm of the experimentation room, he had the chance to get out there before things got hot all over again. He gripped the edges of his chair with his hands and tried to push himself up. Maybe if he could just drag himself along the walls back to where the bunks were...He would be able to figure out what to do much more easily from there. His arms were able to lift him a few inches off the chair before they couldn't handle the weight any more and collapsed beneath him. He landed back in the chair with an audible thud and a frustrated grimace. He was supposed to be the one taking care of them, not the other way around. He wasn't supposed to be the one in need of help, but somehow this orphanage had decided on a role reversal for him today. His normally calm demeanor was starting to slip into his more annoyed emotions. This wasn't right. He couldn't be comfortable in this situation, yet somehow he had ended up in it. There was only one thing he could do now.

"Rocket, can you get someone to help you bring me back to my bunk? I don't think it's a good idea for us to be staying in here anymore," he said. His hands had returned to their grip on the edges of the chair, but they weren't trying to push him up anymore. His green eyes focused on the pale floor before him. He couldn't tell if he felt humiliated or relieved that he had actually just asked for help.

Ash roughly pushed the screaming woman away from her, glaring at Rocket. Ash wiped her hands on her dress, disgusted at the red stains that were left there. She sighed, walking back into one of the corners. She had just drawn attention to herself. Even worse, she had gotten some of the people to already look at her with distaste. No matter how much Ash sometimes wanted to blend in, she just never managed to. Her fiery hair and personality set her apart from most others, as did her recklessness. Why couldn't she be like Rocket? Rocket had friends, Rocket was not stuck all alone, always screwing up something. At the least, why couldn't Ash be like Kyria? She at least had someone who liked her, maybe more than just as a friend. At least in the corner the doctors weren't bothering her. She watched as Kyria was shoved onto the floor by a stupid staff member. Maybe she would do better with them. Kyria had a strong will, she was a fighter. Ash had the will to survive and she was most certainly a fighter. The two girls had that in common. Ash was still slightly unnerved by her almost ghost-like appearance, the vacant look that seemed to pass over her as Kyria pulled on a sickening smile. Ash needed to escape and more people would make that easier. Ash walked over to the blonde, standing tall and not showing the tingling that was going up her spine. "Need a lift?" she said, extending one arm out to the slim girl.

((okay chiaki))

Rocket was yelling at Ash and Kit stared bewildered at her. Rocked usually never yelled at any of the orphan kids. Then Rocket began to yell at her.

"Kitten! Go to your bunk."

Kit stood her ground and kept pulling at the chair. She wasn't going to leave Chip, or anyone else. She stopped pulling as Chip tried to stand. Holding her breath, she wish with all her might there was a double rainbow outside and that Chip would be able to stand now. He fell back into the chair with a dull thud and asked Rocket to ring him to the his bunk.

"I can!" Ki cried. She started to drag him again. A loudspeaker came on announcing it was break time.

"And they don't even help the injured ones back to their bunks!" She accused with angry dignity.

"YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED. WHAT WOULD YOUR MOTHER THINK?" She screamed at the loudspeaker. She had gotten that line from a book. "BE GRATEFUL YOU HAVE ONE AND STOP TORTURING US. She began to cry.

"D-do you think th-that we'll ever b-be ad-dopted?"

Chip gripped the chair even harder as Kitten started to drag him along again. Where did she get all this strength? Well, she was a bundle of energy, and he was terribly underweight for his age. Maybe that's what made up for it all. The loudspeaker came on to announce break time. Chip could hear Kit's screams before she turned back to him and began sobbing. He knew this one. Almost every child he had encountered at the orphanage had gone through similar moments of breakdown in front of him. The thought had crossed his mind many times, but only then, looking at Kit, did he realize just how much he hated the truth.

"No, Kit," Chip said as bluntly as he could. His tone felt darker than normal, but it couldn't be helped. He was deadly serious right now. "I've never seen anyone leave her unless they were in a makeshift coffin." Another thought brushed his mind again, the same one that had been pressuring him for attention for awhile. When were they going to do it? When was the orphanage going to pull the plug on him? He had three months until he was eighteen, three months until freedom. He looked down at his legs again. Could this be the start of it all? Was this their unceremonious death march?

Edited by BlueApollo

Chip had answered her question in a serious tone she had never heard from him before.

"No, Kit. I've never seen anyone leave her unless they were in a makeshift coffin."

Kit tried to stop crying and look strong. She had a feeling she knew that there was no way she would be adopted. As good as she would try to be, no one would ever come carry her to a loving home where she might get a real kitten or a puppy.

Never.

Why were they keeping them here anyways? Kit thought hard, pausing at her pulling. If they were tested, there must be a reason. It was probably money. Everything was money. But how come it was still bad if they were making money? Tales of when the orphanage was a nicer place drifted about from time to time.

Resuming her pulling, Kit realized that this whole thing made no sense at all.

"If we help them make money, why don't we have a better life? And why doesn't anyone know about this? Why don't they do anything about it? It's so pointless." She said quietly.

Sy let out a small cry of pain as Kyria injected him with something. He lay on the ground as she was pulled away from him. The world around him became one large blur, every noise, sight and smell blended into one. He stayed on the ground for a little while before he could finally get a grip on himself. He raised himself into a sitting position and looked around for Kyria. Where is she? His eyes widened as he saw her on the ground as well, from being thrown out of a chair. He tried to make his way over to her, but he was stopped in his tracks as he saw a shadow walk over to her. He was about to rush over to it and bowl it over when he noticed that it was not a scientist, but rather Ash, extending her arm to Kyria. Sy got up on his feet, stumbling a little, and made his way over. He did not know much about Ash, but he felt like she was no threat.

"As-Kyr-" His eyes darted between the two of them. He cleared his throat. "Kyria, what did you inject me with?" He did not feel any symptoms that he had seen in the others. He did not feel sick or even have a headache. The good condition he was in had him worried. He had been injected 4 or 5 times with the 'vaccine', so something should have happened.

"Considering you were injected with a lot of the vaccine, I'd assume it was an antidote," Ash offered, her eyes showing slight amusement. Did he think that Kyria would inject him with some toxin or another? Another vaccine maybe? Riiiiiiiiiiight. Kyria was being nice to this boy, so far. She fingered one of her earrings, cutting herself again on the sharp blade. She did that way to often. You'd think she would've learned. She slightly hesitated as she saw him stumble. Was he okay? Was one dosage of antidote enough? Ash sighed. It was so unlike her, being nice to people all of a sudden. She decided it was because she found it more entertaining to beat up the staff members and not other kids now.

Getting herself up as Sy darted in front of the hand, she turned to him, eyes scanning up and down his body. He seemed to be... okay. 'It was an antidote,' she said, bluntly. 'You look okay, though, so I think it worked.' Blinking a bit as the break was announced, she nodded to each of them. It was more than awkward for her, being around other people. She literally had no social skills; these were the first people she was actually, properly speaking to. Her pale eyes roamed to Sy. Why had he been staring at her? It had been strange, to say the least. It was herself who stared, not him. She was the one who stared at people until they left her... Had he wanted her to leave him? The teenager felt slightly disappointed in that, but this was why she didn't communicate with other people so much. They always let you down, without fail. They always hurt you. Speaking of hurt...

She winced, bringing a hand to her abdomen. It was aching terribly. It had to be that first punch, combined with the vaccine and the last part where she'd been pushed out of the chair. Kyria glanced around at the others, mind on overdrive. Would they attack the 'strange' girl in her weakened state? Were they only attempting to be friendly so that they could hurt her later? These thoughts buzzed around her brain, making her confused. Other people did this to her... Feeling the pang of pain again, the blonde jerked her head in the direction of the cafeteria. 'I'm going in there to si down. If you want to come, do so.' With that, she turned around, and walked toward the cafeteria, not showing any signs of pain. It was actually hurting terribly, but she wouldn't show them that. Oh no, she would not.

Edited by Chicogal

"It was an antidote." Whaaaaaat? Sy stood there, confused. Antidote? Where-who-how-? Questions raced around his skull. What was in it? Where was it? How did she get it? It was all too confusing for him.

"You look okay, though, so I think it worked." Sy looked down at his arms and noticed the three dripping holes in each one. They all burned with pain and he wanted to shout out, but he did not want to look weak in front of Kyria and Ash. He had a reputation. At least, a little one. He considered himself lucky that he had not ended up like any of the others, all vomiting or spitting blood. Then the thought came to him. The antidote. It could have been anything. He raced over to Kyria as she walked away.

"Hey, wait!" he shouted as he grabbed her shoulder and turned her around. "That antidote...do you know what was in it?" He asked rhetorically. "No? Then why did you inject me with it?" He raised his voice, suddenly turning bitter. "Do you think that they would carry around a cure for what they inject us with? Hell no! They would rather let us die, since death gives them a result. They can't monitor us if we can just be cured. Think about it! The needle might have said 'antidote', but it was probably something worse! And you got it off the one you knocked down, right?" he gestured to the scientist that she had got the syringe off of. "So the needle was probably on the floor. The floor that, for longer than I've been here, has been covered in blood and vomit! You just put all that straight into me!" His voice was now shouting at her. He raised a fist eye-level with her. He stopped, his mood suddenly changing.

"Though...I guess I can't blame you." He looked to a spot on the ground. His voice was now a quiet, sorry tone. "I mean, you only tried to help me..." He dropped his fist and let go of her. "No one has tried to help me before...so...why?"

Kyria whirled around. 'You were dying, Sy. I didn't know any other way to help. At least I tried.' Her pale eyes narrowed as he brought up a fist. Her own hands clenched, ready to smash one into his face if need be. His voice then faded, and her hands relaxed a little. 'Don't touch me.' The blonde turned away from him. 'I thought you were different. Stronger, perhaps. You talked to me without freaking out. Apparently, I was wrong.' She spat the words out. 'Just.. Just stay away from me, okay? You're walking, you're talking, you're threatening me - I think you're alright.' Crossing her arms, she walked away, deciding to not go toward the cafeteria. No. She was going to go to the bedrooms.

Fingers digging into her arm, she sent one look back, a full-on glare. With that, Kyria came into the 'bedroom,' ignoring all who looked at her. Collapsing onto her bed, she stared upward at the bunk above her, confused. She'd just helped another human being.. Yet they react like this? Perhaps it would be better to just not speak to anyone at all....

Edited by Chicogal

((I find it funny how Chicogal is always right there waiting for me to post.))

Sy was struck as Kyria walked away from him. The girl he stared at in wonder only moments before, the one that he though was 'something different' had just ripped his heart out and stepped on it. He kept staring at the spot on the ground as she walked away. It seemed like forever until he heard her stop and he looked up at her. She was glaring at him with all her might. Chills ran down Sy's spine. His own eyes were filled with sorrow. He tried to call out to her, but his voice was taken away. As she left the room, he stood, his eyes started to turn wet. He was not sure whether he was just going into another one of his mood swings, or if he was actually feeling something. He took a shuddering breath and his eye caught Ash. He paused for a moment before yelling at her.

"Well what are you looking at? Get out of here and leave me alone!" He did not want to look weak in front of her. With that, he stormed into the hallway and to the boy's restroom, where he locked the door. He needed to be alone for a while.

(( ;^; ))

Edited by earwig

“Agreed.” Rocket’s voice was harsh, but her back was facing Chip, so most people could tell her anger wasn’t directed at him or Kitten. Rocket preferred looking at the person she was mad at. That way, her death-glares had the best effect. She was playing with the hem of her dress, glaring daggers at any person above the age of 18 in the room.

Ash and her mane of fiery red hair left the chaos with a glare, and Rocket seemed to calm down a bit. She hadn’t meant to offend Ash. The only thing she’d wanted was for this whole chaotic mess to end. And she wanted everyone out of here. Now. Rocket bit back tears. This whole bloody mess was so unfair. Of all the people who ended up at the orphanage, why did it have to be them? The blond girl kicked herself. This stupid experiment is messing with your brain She thought. Rocket did not cry, especially when people could see her. She had to be strong. Protect people. Be the mother none of these kids had.

"No, Kit. I've never seen anyone leave her unless they were in a makeshift coffin." Chip’s voice broke through her thoughts, and Rocket wiped away tears, even though they actually never came. Chip’s voice seemed tone more morbid than usual, and Rocket wondered if he had the same thought that she had. When was their turn?

Kitten continued with her questions, and Rocket bent down beside her. “Yes, it’s pointless.” Rocket said sadly. “But who said we can’t give it a point? I’ve given my testing a point. Why else do you think I’d volunteer?” She smiled sadly.

((That's 'cause I know what time you post. Ima stalker. :B Just kiddin'. Won't be online at this time for 4 days, so you'll be free for a while. xd.png ))

Turning over, Kyria fumbled underneath her pillow for a moment. Where was it? Grasping the silky material, she pulled it out. The blue ribbon fluttered in the air for a moment, before settling onto her fingers. Sitting up, she pulled it taut, looking at it intently. It was one of the few things that fascinated her, that made her feel.. Happiness, if she felt anything. Sighing, she grasped her hair, and tied it up with the strip of material. Her face was actually visible, not hidden behind a curtain of hair. How did she look? Getting up, the blonde picked up a piece of glass that had once been in a window. Holding it up, she almost cried out. It was so strange; so different. Shaking her head, she pulled it out. It showed off her face too well; let them see her emotions. That was dangerous.

Flopping back, she thought about Sy. He had looked so.. sad when she'd left him. What was sadness? Was it this creeping feeling that she'd done something wrong? No, wasn't that guilt? Huffing, she put a fist by her chest, wanting to drive the sinking feeling in her heart out. This was wrong! She shouldn't be feeling guilt when he'd been the one shouting and threatening her! Kyria tied the blue ribbon around her wrist, using her teeth to pull it tight. Then, she returned back to pondering the events that had happened just a minute or two ago. He started it, she told herself. But you reacted badly, another voice told her. Shaking her head, the orphan told herself to forget him. He wasn't important. He is.

Another painful pang coming from her stomach alerted her to her predicament. What if she died from internal bleeding?! Placing her hands on her stomach, she told herself to stay calm. It's nothing. You're unfeeling and uncaring, if you die no-one will care. They never do. Perhaps Sy would, though. Nonono! She wasn't going to die! It wasn't that bad.. Was it? The piece of glass was still clutched in her hand, and Kyria had unknowingly squeezed it while she had thought. The sharp edges had pressed into her skin, cutting it open. Four bleeding cuts were on her palm, and she gingerly took the object into her other hand, wiping the blood on the front of her dress. It would be so easy to end her life, to cut her wrists open. To bleed to death; to not have to suffer through internal bleeding. Something stopped her, though. The look on Sy's face. Sighing, the blonde leant over to put it on the ground. It wasn't the right time for that. Yet.

((Sorry; I normally add in long bits after I've posted, when I get bored. >.> Aw, man, I feel sorry for Sy sad.gif))

Edited by Chicogal

((I think My history facts are wrong.))

Kit hugged Rocket around the neck and wiped her tears off. "You volunteer because you want to show everybody else how to act strongly.

"Right. We need to give a point. Be strong." Kit struck a pose similar to the one of George Washington on the Delaware River.

Kit continued to pull Chips chair, until she reached the door to the hallway. She tried to lug the chair out but a doctor grabbed her wrist.

"Don't you try to steal a piece of property like that! It costs money you know."

Kit ground her teeth. So it is why we're here isn't it. Money money money. What if there was no money? You would probably kill yourselves. Kit smiled at that. All those evil people leaving her forever would be nice.

"Miss, I'm not taking the chair away." Kit retorted calmly. "I'm transporting my friend to his bunk. If you will excuse me and let go, I will proceed to rescue him."

The lady let go and waved her hand. "Leave the chair. Your friend will go anyways."

"What?" Kit was puzzled. chip would go anyways? What does that mean? She would bring him over wouldn't she?

Turning away from the creepy lady Kit decided it would be best to help Chip to his feet and balance him until he got to his bed.

She told Rocket her plan. "Can you carry his other side?"

Ash sighed. Yep, he was most certainly emotionally attached to that girl. See what it got them? Heartbreak. All relationships here would end in that. So she probably couldn't join up with them until they forgave each other, which could take a very long time. She slightly flinched as Sy screamed at her, but remained calm. What would she have done in his situation? Try to act strong so as not to ruin her reputation? Try to not show weakness? Probably. Ash didn't bother moving. She'd wait for him to get out of the bathroom. She wanted to talk to him, find out what exactly he had tried and what had went wrong. Maybe he could help her escape when he forgave Kyria. When she forgave him. It seemed she had really crushed him. Crushed his little bit of sanity in this prison. So Ash sat, waiting for Sy to get out of the bathroom.

“Not always. But sometimes, yes.” Rocket accepted the hug, wondering what they had done to deserve a girl like Kit. She was always cheering people up. She wondered what Chip felt about that. Cheering people up was his job. Personally, Rocket would have felt terrible if someone started taken over what she did. She would feel like she was failing at something.

Kit struck a ‘be strong’ pose, and Rocket chuckled. The six year old looked quite funny. And she didn’t look nearly as strong as she was, apparently. Kitten had somehow managed to drag Chip and his hair all the way to the door, without Rocket even having time to offer to help.

One of the doctors came over to stop them, demanding they leave the chair behind. Apparently, chairs cost money. “Quite frankly, I care more about Chip than your paycheque.” Rocket said, not quite managing to keep the “like I care” tone she wanted. For some reason, she couldn’t really hide emotions. Bite back tears and force a smile, sure, she was amazing at that, but people always seemed to be able to tell what she actually was feeling.

The lady ignored her, paying attention to Kit instead. She seemed to know that the little six-year-old was less likely to yell or punch her than the fuming blond teen. She was right of course, Kitten replied in a calm and quite polite manner, where as Rocket would have said something rude and proceed to drag Chip to his bunk. Though she might have left the chair behind, just so no one would get in trouble.

“How about I just carry him?” Rocket asked. Kitten had told her her plan, and though it was a fine plan, Kit seemed to have forgotten the tiny height difference between her and Chip. Rocket was shorter than Chip -not by too much, but she was shorter- and when Kitten reached somewhere around Rocket’s bellybutton, it was proof that there was quite a difference in height. “You’re kinda a bit shorter than him, hon.”

"No no no no no no." Kit shook her head wildly. "I can too. Plus, he's to heavy for you to pick up yourself." She stopped panicked. "No Chip! I don't mean your fat! You are just a bit bigger than Rocket and me."

Kit grabbed one of Chips arms. "If we can get him to stand then we can balance. It's like one of those three headed people with two legs." Kit now started to slide the chair our from under him carefully. "If we can get him to stand somehow..."

Chip was suddenly really, really glad that Rocket was there. He didn't want to answer Kit's question because it would only make him angrier, and he didn't need that right now. He needed to be calm so that he could think all of this through and figure out what to do next. He watched their conversation silently, a sense of pride filling him as he noticed Kit's determination and optimistic abilities. It was somehow comforting knowing that he had someone to take his place as the cheering up person when he was gone.

The feeling of Kit grabbing one of his arms jerked him out of his thoughts. He had barely noticed the doctor demanding that the chair remain in the examination room, so he was shocked when he felt Kit take hold of his arm.

"Whoa there, Kit," he said suddenly. "If you want to help, you can help, but Rocket is right. The height difference may be a little bit of a problem."

"I can help." Doll had been following the three and silently watching their conversation the whole time. She normally didn't want to disobey the doctors, but this was all for Chip. It didn't matter if it was him. "I mean, if you don't mind, Kit."