AmberEmber

The Franklin Hayne Orphanage

Sy could not help but laugh at Kyria's last statement.

"You and your hair!" He chuckled, batting at the girl's hair with his hand. He was in a weird, happy mood all of a sudden. Everything seemed funny or nice, unlike how he saw things normally. But, as usual, he expected his mood swings to come into effect. He decided to enjoy himself as long as the hapiness lasted. "I should probably cut mine soon, it's gettin' kinda long don't ya think?" he said, now running his fingers through his jet black hair. He had cut it in a wierd way. He "borrowed", or rather, stole Ex's knife to cut it. He was very bad at doing so and his hair turned out looking torn and jagged. He sometimes also suffered some gashes on his scalp from his carelessness, which was not much fun when it was time for hair bleaching. Sy stared at Kyria. Today she seemed more...pretty? Well, apart from the blood dribbling down her chin. Maybe it was just the mood he was in. Maybe he wanted to...no! Sy was not a romantic type! the thoughts that came to him about being with this girl were...unnatural. But at the same time they also felt so...right. he was confused, and instead of trying to figure out what was going on he instead waited for Kyria's response.

Kyria raised her eyebrows as he laughed. Her hair was important to her. She flinched away as he batted at it - she wasn't used to human contact, unless it was experimentation. Blinking as he talked about his hair, she looked it over. 'Yes. I could help you with that, if you would like.' Her eyes narrowed as she thought about what would look good on him. She wasn't an expert, but due to her being alone so much of the time, concentration came to her quite easily - and ideas, too. 'You've cut yourself,' the blonde stated, noticing the scabs.

Her pale green eyes flitted down to his face. He was staring right at her... That was creepy. Normally it was herself who stared at others, to make them feel awkward, or to get them to move away from her. Dismissing her thoughts, she twirled a finger in the pale hair. It wasn't yet time to cut her hair, as she'd cut it two weeks ago. As of now, it reached just below her shoulder-blades. It had a side parting, to allow it to cover half her face. Her head tilted to one side. 'Why are you staring at me?'

"You're lying to me. I'm not stupid. Careless, maybe, but not stupid. And what do you mean, you 'think it'll go away'? I'm not some six-year-old you can feed your lies to. Tell me the truth," she demanded, furious at the obvious lie. She noticed the way he was looking at his legs. As if they were... useless. Ash looked over her shoulder. Two teenagers seemed to be flirting. Wow, in this place? There was no way anything would ever work out, so what was the point? The only way it could work out would be if they could escape. Wasn't that the boy who had been thrown in here? Wasn't that the girl who stared at everybody, sending chills up even Ash's spine? Maybe the flirting was more one-sided. The boy was the one batting the girl's hair, not he other way around. Ash turned her attention back to Chip, who appeared to currently be squeezing his legs with a frustrated look on his face. He was definitely not okay. Had he really expected her to swallow a lie so easily?

Sy was too engrossed in his make-believe thoughts and had completely missed what Kyria had said. Instead, all he heard was "Why are you staring at me?"

"Ah! Wha-? I-Uhh-" He was caught off guard by her. He stuttered and fumbled for words but he could not grasp any. He let out an embarresed laugh as his cheeks turned red. He cleared his throat and put on a serious face.

"N-nothing..." he stuttered. Sure, it was an obvious lie, but Sy was not going to tell her what he was really thinking. The thoughts-so strange. So different. Kyria was something. Definitely. Sy's eyes widened a little and he immediately started scanning the room. Hopefully no one saw his fumble, he did not want to look like a fool in front of the others.

"So...uhh...Oh! I think you're up now. See?" He pointed his finger at a scientist looking at them. Whether or not the scientist was ready, he just wanted Kyria to go for a little while. He needed to get his head straight. He was already driven insane by this girl and the needles would not help.

Edited by earwig

Kyria bit her lip as his face turned red. W-what? Had her dress gained another hole or something? Her pale eyes traveled down her garment. No, everything was okay. Brushing back a stray blonde of hair that had fallen over her other eye, she glanced up at the scientist. Not really a threat. 'I'd like to see them make me,' she said, smirking at the man in front of them. Tipping her head slightly to one side so that her other pale eye was visible, she raised her eyebrows. 'Yes?' We, uh, are going to inject you again.' He seemed slightly nervous of the teenage girl. 'Of course!' she exclaimed, brightly. 'Right after you give me my freedom, all of your savings and a proper home, I'd be glad to!' The smile faded. 'But you're not, are you?'

The scientist muttered something underneath his breath. You're coming whether you like it or not. Come.' 'No.' He shouted out to a gorilla-like guard who had been scratching his head to come over and take her. Kyria hissed underneath her breath as he towered over her. 'Make me.' She was roughly pulled by the arm, and it felt like the limb was coming out of it's socket. Biting back a cry of pain, the blonde hit the guard on the arm numerous times, to no avail.

'Damn you! Let me go!' He ignored her, and she was pushed into a chair. She struggled as another needle pierced her arm. The effect was immediate. Slumping down, black dots invaded her vision and her body felt like jelly. How do you feel? Urgh, it felt like she was sinking, down, down, down into a dark ocean. 'Force me,' Kyria weakly uttered, before closing her eyes. Her arm was injected once more, and her eyes fluttered open. 'You piece of trash.' The insult was thrown at her harshly from a scientist, and she was pushed out of the chair. Landing on her hands and knees, her head turned to face the scientist. Forcing the sick smile onto her face, a neutral expression came back onto her features. 'You'll pay some day,' she told him, in the most eerie voice she could muster.

Edited by Chicogal

(( I'm going away for 3 days and I won't be able to post until then. I trust that you will all behave. Oh, and you can timeskip whenever you need to as long as everyone's okay with it.))

((We'll try not to burn the orphanage down. Though we might have a wild party without you. Have fun! ^^))

Edited by Chicogal

After Kit was done poking at Skyla's tummy, Skyla went and sat down in one of the chairs. She scanned the room to see what was going on. Chip was surrounded by Kit and Ash trying to find out what was wrong with him, and Kyria was pushed out of her chair, and was now sitting on her hands and knees on the ground. But before Kyria went and got injected, Skyla thought that she saw Kyria and Sy... flirting? Nah, it couldn't be. Not in a place like this.

Skyla countinued to scan the room, and then she noticed something. Mouse wasn't here. "Where could she have gone?" Skyla thought.

Mouse shifted her weight around a little, although she spent a lot of time under the bed, it was still quite uncomfortable. Her stomach still hadn't settled yet but her head had stopped spinning so she shuffled sideways and reached a hand up and under her sheets and felt around until her fingers reached the hard cover of the book she had been “reading” and pulled it under the bed with her.

She shuffled back to her original position and opened the book, it was a battered copy of Where the Wild Things Are, it was one of her favourites and although she didn't know what it was about exactly she really liked the ending when the boy got back to his mother. It always made her smile.

As she was looking down at the pictures Boon scurried onto the page and refused to move even when Mouse waved at him, she smiled. “Don't be silly Boon, the best bit's coming up,” she whispered and when he still didn't move she picked him up and put him in his favourite spot, right on the top of her head.

"Mouse?" Skyla called as she looked about the room. She started to panic, where did Mouse go? Skyla decided that it was probably almost time to go back to the room, so she snuck out of the experimenting room and went back to their bedroom. She looked almost everywhere. Then, she went over to one of the beds and checked under it. There she was.

"Mouse! That's where you went!" Skyla exclaimed.

Mouse had heard Skyla enter so wasn't surprised when her face appeared in the crack between the bed and floor. She turned her big eyes on her and she felt Boon on top of her head do the same.

Skyla... she was the quiet one, Mouse considered her for a minute and was about to turn away from her when Boon scurried off her head and up Skys arm. She sighed to herself and held her book out to the girl.

Skyla jumped when Boon scurried up her arm, but let him. She turned and looked at Mouse, who was holding a book out to her. Skyla was slightly confused about why Mouse was holding the book out to her, but took the book anyways and read the front cover.

"Where the wild things are? This was one of my favorite books when I was little!" Skyla's face lit up. She was surprised that when she went over and helped everyone carry Mouse to the chairs, she had somehow gotten better at talking to people.

Edited by angelkay

Mouse pressed her lips together and smiled a little raising her eye brows in a o..kay expression. She shuffled over to give Skyla room under the bed and patted the floor beside her. Truth be told, she was a little excited, she was very close to finding out what the book was about. Boon, who still hung from Skys arm squeaked and scurried onto her shoulder baldes instead.

Skyla slide under the bed next to Mouse, trying to make sure Boon didn't fall off in the process. She held the book up in front of them both and opened it up to the first page. "So you want me to read this to you?" Skyla asked Mouse.

((Is it alright if Kit and Mouse are best friends?))

Kit watched the whole orphanage scene through wide eyes. Mouse had left, Skyla had gone to look for her. But Kit couldn't leave Chip. He was in danger.

How am I supposed to watch everybody at the same time?

Andromeda and Rue clung to each other in the experimentation room. They both knew that they were the last two to be tested. Since testing was almost over, the room was covered in blood. Poor Twitch wouldn't stop coughing, and Chip was staring at his legs, a look of anguish on his careworn face. Andromeda hoped it wasn't anything serious. he and Rose were like the leaders of their little orphan group. just then, one of the scientists caught her eye and motioned for her to come over. "no, no, no!" Rue whispered, clinging to her tightly. "Shh, Rue, i'll be fine", Andromeda said softly, but even she couldn't keep her pencil thin legs from shaking as she walked towards the table. "You'll be sorry, you evil people!" Rue shouted. "You'll be sorry you were ever born if you hurt my sister! and you will deal with the Devil in due time!" Rue shook her tiny fists, blue eyes blazing. "Aww, shut up," one of the body guards said. "You're next."

Andromeda sat down. One of the attendants gently swabbed her arm with alcohol, and filled up a needle. Andromeda sucked in her breath. she hated needles. if all the kids reacted badly to it, shouldn't they get the hint that it wasn't safe? the attendant injected the needle into her skinny forearm. almost instantly, a horrible pain exploded behind her eyelids. "Symptoms?" an attendant with an annoying, nasally voice asked. "My head hurts like...crud", Andromeda whispered. "You evil people!" Rue shook her tiny fist again, looking angry and yet helpless, since there was nothing she could do.

Edited by Lady of the Stars

Chip nearly jumped at Ash's harsh words. Sure, he had lied, but whoa. That was quite the reaction. He hadn't been expecting that from someone like Ash. It was drawing more attention, too. Kitten was back and others were starting to inquire about his condition. Even Doll was giving him worried glances. He hadn't meant to make them nervous, but there wasn't any going back now. The tingling had finally stopped, and the numbness rested at about halfway up his stomach. That wasn't so bad. He had to tell them, though, before Ash put out another outburst.

"I'm okay for the most part, guys," he started. "The migraine is gone and I can hear you guys again, thank goodness, but there's something wrong with my legs. I...I can't feel them. They're not responding. I can't even move them. Don't worry, though. I'll be fine. It should wear off. At least, I hope it will."

Ash froze. He lost the feeling in his legs? Would it ever come back? If it didn't she doubted the staff would be kind enough to give him a wheelchair. And Ash had thought that her problem was bad... he wouldn't be able to move! She felt horrible, so horrible. It was such an abnormal feeling to her, it felt like someone had twisted her stomach into a knot and then turned it inside-out. It was nauseating. She looked around wildly, trying to think of something that could help. She had one hand over her mouth, nervously biting her lip. How had she reacted like she had to this orphan? He was nice to everybody and he always seemed to stay positive, to look out for the little kids. And here she had been sharply insulting him for trying to not frighten her and all the other orphans. What had she done? She next did the only thing she could think of. She stalked over to one of the staff members, shoved her arm into a half-nelson while gripping her hair with Ash's other hand and dragged her over to where Chip sat. She knew it sounded rediculous, but she said the first thing that came to her mind. "Fix him! If you can't, then I'll fix you!"

"I can't feel my legs."

That was what Chip had said when Ash accused him of lying. Now Kit couldn't beleive it.

"They're not going to give you a wheel chair!" The horrible realization crashed down on Kit at once. "Oh no! You might never walk again!"

Ash had left and she was grabbing a staff member and dragging the staff overt to Chip.

"No! They're going to hurt him more! Don't let them here." Kit thought frantically. She grabbed the chair and began to drag it, with Chip still sitting.

"Don't let that thing near Chip!"

Kyria had settled herself into a cross-legged position when people started freaking out over Chip. Frowning, she watched from her position on the floor. Ah, so he had lost all feeling in his legs? Her lips were pursed when se realised - he was probably going to be paralysed, unless this was something short-term.If not... 'Oh, God.' She sighed, and picked herself up off of the bloody floor - though, a lot of that blood was hers... Her pale eyes glanced around the room, taking in all the chaos which was wreaking havoc.

That was when she noticed Ash attacking a staff member. Her mouth turned back into that sickening smile, and she laughed. Kyria laughed. It was simply so ridiculous, all of these events! Spinning around, she found the source of incessant pulling on her arm. A female scientist. She was bigger than the teenager, but not necessarily as strong. With a vicious backhand, she was sprawled upon the floor. 'Never. Ever. Test me.' With this, the blonde kicked her in the stomach - hard.

"They did this to him. They must have a way to fix it. If they don't I'll relish breaking her arm," she said, her head indicating the woman in her hands. She pulled harder on the lady's hair until she heard a scream. "Do you have something to fix what you did? How do you even live with yourself? Testing on children with no parents. Killing them. Causing our deaths?" she hissed, her mouth beside the woman's ear. Ash was surprised to find she had pulled out several of the woman's hair strands. The woman was now struggling. Ash quickly yanked her arm up higher and all the woman's efforts ceased. Ash smiled harshly. Why had she settled with bullying kids before? The people who tested on her were much more interesting.

Sy almost felt Kyria's rage as she struggled against the staff. You can kick and scream all you want, but they're still gonna get ya. He sighed. you have to get them when they don't expect it. He smiled as Kyria and the staff traded insults. It was nice to see someone that felt the same way about them. He thought that most of the kids here probably hated the staff, but someone with enough guts to stand up to them every time was something special. He winced as the needle went into her arm. Wait...why did I do that? Usually he did not care about if the others got hurt or not, but he suddenly started feeling what Kyria was feeling. He shook his head violently from side to side. "Ughhhh...what's wrong with me?" He muttered to no one in particular. He needed to be away from her to get his head straight. He looked up at the scene as Kyria was thrown from her chair. An anger built up inside of him. He was feeling what she was feeling again. He was fuming, clenching his fists and gritting his teeth. Don't treat her like like you cows! Out of nowhere, he heard and insult thrown at her. "You piece of trash!" While it made him look short fused, Sy would not stand for it. Without a second thought he immediately rose out of his waiting chair and stormed over to the scientist.

He just wanted to grab him by his collar and yell at him a little, but he found himself doing something else. He found that instead of grabbing him, he had a fist that flashed across the side of the scientist's face. The scientist was knocked down on the floor. Sy was alarmed by various shouting that came from the staff afterwards. They all came at him with needles, dripping at the tips. He tried to fight them all, but there were too many. He managed to kick one in the gut and punch another in the face before he was injected. It was not a 'nice' injection either, they had not swabbed him and they pushed the needles in where they could find space. There had to be at least 3 or 4 of them in him at once, all jabbing at him. He tried to grab at one of the scientists, but he collapsed to the ground, shuddering. They had not even asked for his symptoms, they just left him there. He lay there, shaking, making choked noises. He could not get up. He could not shout out. He could not do anything.

((Rainbow, they can be if you want but don't be expecting a gushing response from her))

Mouse nodded to Sky and pointed to the first line of words. This was when the boy was with his mother, before the monsters. She smiled sadly as she ran one finger over the mother before looking up at Sky and tapped the words expectantly. Boon meanwhile scampered off Sky to settle on Mouses head, seemingly to listen to the story.

Kyria frowned when she heard a crunching and crashing sound behind her. Wh-what? Oh. Sy was going at the scientists, like she had. What an idiot... Though she couldn't really talk, considering what she'd just done. Giving the scientist one last kick for good measure, she glanced across at Sy. He was lying on the ground, shuddering. It seemed that he had been injected and no-one cared. She pursed her lips; it seemed she cared. Well, this was strange. The blonde had never cared about another human being before. She slowly walked over to Sy, and knelt by him. She placed a hand on his arm, not sure of how to show affection.

Feeling the shudders, she glanced around. There had to be someone with something to help him. Oh. What about that scientist she'd just knocked to the ground? Standing up, she hurried over to her. She looked half-unconscious. Taking her by the shoulders, Kyria shook the woman. 'Hey! I need something to help my friend!' When she refused, she viciously slapped her across the face. Leaning in close to her ear, she hissed 'Give me an antidote. Now.' The scientist held up a syringe with shaking hands. On a small label was 'Antidote.' Nodding, the teenager left her alone, and went to Sy. Finding a place on his arm, she murmured 'Please let this work,' before easing the needle into his arm and squeezing the liquid out. When she had finished, something - or someone - came up behind her, and put two thick arms around her chest, threatening to squeeze her ribcage; and probably break it, considering how thin she was and how strong those arms were

Move, and I'll squeeze. Not in a friendly hug, either. Kyria froze, both eyes wide, even the one behind her hair. The arms tightened considerably, and picked her off the ground. Resisting the urge to kick, scream, bite, she looked away from the others as she was pushed into a chair. Now. Who do you think you are, mauling our scientists? Her pale eyes averted his, not wanting to meet his gaze. 'I'm Kyria,' she said, simply. 'I fight for what should be, not for what is already here.' His brown eyes narrowed. Now look here, 606. Nothing is going to change around here. We're going to keep on testing you, like we have for a long, long time. If you continue going on like this, you may have a little 'accident.' I'm pretty sure you don't want that. Kyria narrowed her eyes, smiling in a sick sort of way. Like that, she simply stared at him with those pale eyes of hers. He.. he wasn't unnerved, though. This was when the first seeds of doubt came into her mind. He wasn't affected? Perhaps words would suit him better. 'Now. I really would appreciate it if you people could leave me alone. I mean, jeez. Every single day, we're forced into this.' She rolled her eyes, running her fingers through pale blond locks. Stop messing with us, were his parting words, before shoving her chair away, making it spin on it's legs ad effectively dumped her on the floor. Groaning, she stayed there, feeling worse than ever. This certainly was not her day.

Edited by Chicogal

Rue looked around the room, feeling helpless and scared. Kyria had just taken out one of the female scientists, Ash was attacking another scientist, threatening to "fix" him, Chip was becoming paralyzed, something was going on with Sy, and Andromeda was pale, cradling her head in her hands. this place was horribly chaotic, but that was nothing new. She was about to run to her sister when she was scooped up by a nasty bodyguard and taken to the table where she would be given her shot. "Let me go, you evil little orphan killer! you ought to be ashamed of yourself! you hurt innocent children every day! now put me down and fix my sister and Chip! RIGHT NOW!!!!! I swear, i'll kick your nasty be-hind to...somewhere very far away!!" she yelled and kicked and hit and screamed, but it didn't seem to do anything. Kyria would be proud of her effort. the body guard sighed and put her down on a chair facing her sister. "Man, i ought to get a raise", he muttered. the attendant swabbed her tiny forearm with alcohol, and quickly injected a needle. the room started spinning, Rue felt herself falling, and then everything faded to black.

"Rue!" Andromeda gritted her teeth, ignoring the horrible migraine, and got up from her chair painfully slowly. Concentrating to move and stay focused, she walked over to her sister's chair and picked her up, cradling her in her arms. this wasn't difficult, since Rue was so tiny. She took her back to the dorm room and laid her on a cot, promising the other kids in the experimentation room that she'd come back to help them.

Edited by Lady of the Stars