AmberEmber

The Franklin Hayne Orphanage

((Let's see if I can somehow catch up...))

Skyla walked into the room, noticing that Sy, Kyria, Ash, and that other girl were already here. She sighed and walked over to her bed, sitting down on top of it. She looked up at Sy and gave him a nasty glare, and then looked back down at her feet, wanting to go and smack all three-or maybe four of them in the face.

"She's probably leaving us too." Skyla thought to herself with a roll of her eyes. "How selfish can a few people be?"

Zee

Zee glanced around with darting eyes until he spotted a staff member walking towards him with an eyedropper and an evil smile on his face. The boy tensed.

"Sit down," the man snarled angrily. Zee sat with a plump on a nearby chair. His heart thudded in his chest. "You're late. Don't think you can escape, kid. It's not gonna happen." The staff member grabbed Zee's black hair and ripped it backwards, turning his face up. "Keep your eyes open." He dripped some of the liquid into each eye. As soon as it came in contact with Zee's eye, a searing pain struck him. Tears rolled from his face and he sucked his lips, fighting the urge to scream. It was like his eyes were on fire!

Blood crept out of the teen's nose and dribbled onto his lap. His vision blurred, and, suddenly, like a light turning on, it all stopped. The pain, the blurriness, the blood, it was all gone. Zee could see just fine now, and only a slight throb reminded him of what he had just suffered.

"It burned. And... and my vision blurred."

The man smirked as he wrote on a piece of paper. "Okay, get out of here."

Zee slowly stood up and walked towards the exit. Good thing it hadn't been long lasting.

As he was strolling down the hall towards the dorms, he heard voices and stopped. There were two staff members, to he pinned himself against the wall. He wanted to hear this.

"What about that older kid? The one that's gonna turn eighteen."

"He'll be released, if he doesn't die."

"If he's released, he'll tell people about us, won't he? The cops will come and we'll be doomed for!"

"Don't worry. Boss has it covered. You know the asprin last year?"

"It killed everyone who took it."

"Yep. It was supposed to open up the veins in the brain to relieve headaches. The veins exploded instead. We'll give it to him..."

Zee heard no more, because he was rushing towards the dorms.

Testing had been a nightmare, but that was nothing new. Andromeda had finally managed to stem the flow of blood coming from her and Rue's noses, and their vision was beginning to return to normal. Now they both sat on Andromeda's cot, and Andromeda was reading aloud a book called The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. what thrilled them the most was the magical wardrobe itself, which lead to another world. Rue had promised her that she would look for magical closets and doors whenever she she had a chance. Andromeda hugged her, and thought, "Wouldn't that be nice..." just as she was in the middle of a very good daydream where they all escaped and entered a magical kingdom, Zee ran into the dorm. Andromeda didn't need her amazing body language skills to know that something was up.

Edited by Lady of the Stars

"Tell me what you have so far. I want to help you figure out the quirks. Besides, I'll be the best at judging what I can and can't do," Ash said, smiling broadly. So he had come around? Good. After all, she wasn't sure what she would do if he refused to help him. She felt the sudden urge to hug him which was odd for her because a) she wouldn't be able to see where he was and would probably fail at that and b ) she usually hated people touching her. Shaking that out out of her head, she nodded to Kyria. "Thanks Sy. I'm not sure what I would've done if you hadn't come around. I might've resorted to smacking sense into you," she chuckled.

((Heh, I wonder what Sy's reaction would be if you did hug him xd.png ))

Sy stared at Ash and gave a quick smile before his face returned to normal. While he thought of what he had done so far, he bit on his nails and his hands shook. He was very nervous about the plan, it was not bulletproof, it was not safe, but it offered some hope to him. He shot a look around the room one last time before leaning in and talking in almost a whisper.

"Okay. So, if you haven't noticed yet, there aren't any windows in the sleeping quarters or the cafeteria, which makes things hard enough. That's how I was going to escape, but the only windows I've noticed are in the experiment room. With all the staff coming and going there, I don't think we'll have a chance of breaking through it. The only other place I can think of that has a window is the staff room, but it's full of...well...staff, so that's ruled out too." he looked over his shoulder to make sure no one else was listening. "The only place I can think of where we can get out is the front door. I'm guessing that it's guarded and there might even be some cameras there, but it's the only shot we have at getting out. This is why I'm so nervous, I don't know how many people guard the entrance, what weapons--I'm guessing they have weapons--they carry and what is outside. I don't know if there's a fence or anything, so eventually I'll need to get some information about that. I really want to know these things before I work out the plan of action. I already have some ideas, but I need to know what's out there. I'll need you two to help me with this."

Skyla carefully listened to Sy's plan, thinking it was rather stupid that they would try to escape through the front door, and not actually think of a better plan. She got up and casually strolled over to them, acting as though nothing was wrong.

"That's probably going to get you all killed, I hope you know that." she whispered, her glare as cold as ice. "It would probably be better if you had more people helping you spy so, oh I don't know, maybe everyone could escape?" she added, a hint of anger sneaking it's way into her voice. How could they be so selfish?

((I hope this is alright, if not, I'll change it. owo))

Edited by angelkay

((I don't know. I don't think Ash wants to find out. xd.png))

Ash snapped her head over at the sound of someone's voice. "Yeah, wouldn't that be a great idea. Get everyone in danger so that we all get killed, eh? Well think about this. What if a few people got out, exposed this place for what it is and then get people out there to forcibly shut this hell hole down! Why don't you go and mind your own business. We know we're risking our lives. We're risking our lives just staying here. So are we going to be sheep to our slaughter? No, a few sheep'll get out and we'll shut this place down," Ash snapped. She really hated it when people had to interfere with everything. Turning back to Sy, she suddenly thought of something. "I might not be able to see, but I can feel and sense things. I'm blind, so if I wander around it won't be so odd. What if I 'accidentally' make my was to the front door? I'll see how far I get, how quick their reaction time is. It's a start."

"Well, what if you guys don't get out? Then we will all just be stuck here, and you would have lost your own lives for nothing! We would have a better chance with more people." Skyla snapped back, turning and walking back towards her cot, laying down on it. She turned around and faced the wall, her head spinning with different emotions.

Sy glared at the girl--Skyla--as she came over. Not paying attention to what Ash was saying, he murmured, "Hang on a minute." and stood up. Anger burning in his eyes, he stared at Skyla and moved close to her, so that his face was right in front of hers. He was a bit shorter than her, but his body was large enough to instill fear in someone. He had done it before, and he hoped that he was doing it again.

"Who do you think you are, eavesdropping on us? Huh? What's that, you want to come too? Not a chance." with that, he sat back down and turned his head in Ash's direction, but kept his menacing eyes on Skyla. "Yeah, sounds like it might work. Just don't look too suspicious. And you," raising his voice, he spoke to Skyla again. "You don't tell anyone about what you heard. Okay?"

"Yeah. Though I might be blind, I can still throw a good punch and I won't hesitate to do so if I think it's needed. You know, I'm getting better and better at sensing where people are. I think I'll use that to my advantage some day," Ash said, bristling. Turning back to Sy, she nodded. "This couldn't be that hard. My part, I mean. I might not even know where I'm going myself," she laughed, turning from her hostile self to her normal self so quickly you began to wonder if she was bipolar.

"Yeah, fine, whatever. I didn't want to come with you guys anyways." Skyla grumbled, wanting them to shut up and leave her alone now. She closed her eyes and continued to face the wall, her mind wandering through different topics, finally settling upon the dream she had not too long ago, about escaping from the orphanage and almost being eaten. She shivered and re-opened her eyes, wondering what that dream was trying to tell her.

Edited by angelkay

Kit followed Skyla back. "Skyla! listen I have an idea." She sat on the cot next to Skyla. "I'm worried about Chip. He's 17 and he'll be 18 soon. Then he will leave here as a grown up." Kit twitched her fingers. "But they'll try to stop him right? They don't want him to leave. They'll try to kill him. If he can leave, he can get people's attention to us, but we need him to stay alive. It'll take longer than breaking out but I don't want to die yet." Kit looked at her feet. "WE need everyone to stay safe. You'll help right? I don't want deaths here."

Skyla lifted her head and looked over at Kit, surprised that the little girl had come up with that idea

"Of 'course I'll help, I don't want anyone to die either." she said, turning her whole body towards Kit. "Who else would we get to help us? And does Chip know about this plan?"

Edited by angelkay

((i'll help))

Rue silently watched the older kids argue, and then lean in and whisper about something. Yep, something was definitely up. Rue sighed. she wondered what was going on. looking at Andromeda, she saw that there was a faraway look in her sister's eyes. Rue knew what she was daydreaming about. Escape.

((sorry about the short post, i can't think right now dry.gif ))

Chip felt himself smiling at Rocket's words. She wasn't just the one of the few people that actually understood what was going through his head, she could actually change it. She was right. Just because he wasn't at one hundred percent didn't mean that he was absolutely useless. His condition had allowed for Kitten to finally take on a leadership role while his friends managed to all use teamwork in order to get him safely to his bunk. Something like that didn't happen just every day at the orphanage. People had to really care, and he had managed to make a difference there.

"I guess I'm overreacting a little, Rocket," Chip sighed. "Thanks for everything. Let's just hope that things can stay like this even after we're not here anymore." He left that last part ambiguous. It was unclear whether or not he would make it out of this place dead or alive, and the same could be said for Rocket. They were both so close. They had more reason to hope for freedom than anyone else in this place. How could he be so downtrodden with his chances? Then again, the past day had done nothing to brighten his spirits. He reached a hand towards his leg and gave one a pinch. Still nothing. Chip frowned, but he wouldn't allow himself to let it bring him down too much. Like Rocket had said, tomorrow might prove to be better. His hair was still slightly blue from an experiment that had happened weeks ago yet that hadn't killed him. Why should this?

((Yikes! Procrastination does not help me on here. Sorry about that! Anyway, here's your post, Coral!))

Andromeda shook herself out of her reverie to look at Rue, who was lost in her own thoughts. Yep, she and her sister seemed to be off in their own little worlds most of the time, rather than face their horrible reality. Andromeda sighed. Yes, they did have imaginations that could put others to shame, but in the communication department...well, she and Rue weren't exactly social butterflies. Andromeda sighed again, then thought of something. "Rue", she said softly, "What would you want to be when you grow up...if you grow up? I'd want to be a famous writer, and write fantasy novels like the ones i sometimes read to you and the other younger kids." Rue thought for a moment. "You would be great at that, Andy," she said, enjoying the small smile that it up her sister's face, "Whatever I want to do.....I don't know. Oh, yes, i do. I'd want to do something that would help people, especially kids. i'd want to help them have an enjoyable life...not like ours." Rue snuggled up against her sister on her small cot. Andromeda put her arm around her sister, pondering what she had said.

((argh she and Rue seem so depressed....oh, well.))

Edited by Lady of the Stars

When we're not he anymore, I hope things are quite different.... Rocket kept the thought to herself, not wanting to dampen Chip's mood. She assumed it was quite fragile, given the current environment and his 'condition' ''No worries" she said, smiling slightly. She put her hand on his knee and turned to gaze over the room. It was filling up again. “I think we missed...” with a rather loud noise, the door opened, and the blond girl’s head snapped in the direction. “Experimentation...” She finished with a sigh as she recognised the person in the doorway. “You!” The person, a woman, glared over at the bed where Chip and Rocket where sitting. Giving Chips hand a squeeze for some comfort, the blond girl stood up. “I’d try to explain, but I don’t think they’d listen.” With that, Rocket stood up, taking one last look over her shoulder before exiting the room.

She took a couple steps before noticing her steps where the only ones she could hear. Turning around, Rocket saw the woman tapping her feet and glaring at Chip. “He can’t walk you know,” Rocket said, slowly making her way back to the dorms. “That stupid shot of yours paralysed him.” “Well ain’t that just too bad?” the lady sneered. “It didn’t affect his eyes now, did it? I don’t think participating in the next experiment will be a problem for him.” Quickly, Rocket glanced over at Chip. “Yeah, I think there will be! He needs a chance to recover!”

((No worries biggrin.gif Not like I didn't take my sweet time replying tongue.gif (betweeen airbands, my sister coming home and flying home there wasn't really a lot of time... ))

Kit hurried back to Chip. "Chip!" She exclaimed, "We'll going to keep you safe! Then you can get out and tell everyone about this! Then they get arrested for abuses!" She looked around worriedly. The experiment was almost over. At least Chip hadn't needed to go. The clipboard lady was telling Rocket to go to the experiment room and Rocket was defending Chip.

The lady seemed to give up arguing with Rocket. "Just come along and stop arguing with me." She started walking down the hall muttering something about "noisy little brats". Convinced that Chip was safe for now, Kit returned to her cot and pulled out her book. "Harry Potter." She repeated, looking at the title. Kit began to read from where she left off, stumbling through the words, but still smiling.

The lady’s eyes darted from Chip to Rocket. She wasn’t in much of a mood for fighting, and didn’t bother go get Chip. Instead she grabbed Rocket’s arm and pulled her along to the experiment room. “Fine. But someone needs to test the meds instead of him, so you’re taking his spot in this experiment.” Despite the fact that taking an extra experiment was the last thing she wanted to do and that the lady’s grip was beginning to hurt, Rocket didn’t say anything. She’d survive.

“Blondie here is stepping in for her boyfriend today.” “He’s not my boyfriend.” Rocket muttered, crossing her arms and sitting down. She just wanted to get this over with quickly. The lady held Rocket down, and another member of staff dripped some eye-drops in her eyes. She flinched as the drops fell in, bringing a burning sensation with them.

“Symptoms?” Rocket could just picture the people standing there with clip-boards, ticking off and noting down what she said. “Well, it burns like heck, and I can’t friggin’ see anything.” She felt something wet on her cheek. “Perfect…” the bitter tone in her voice suddenly became more pronounced. “I’m tearing up now as well, aren’t I?” The only reply she got was a glass of water shoved in one hand, and a pill shoved in the other. “Swallow the pill.” Rocket did as she was told and waited for the symptoms to kick in.

((I dunno what to post! >.<))

Sy leant back and tugged at his hair. The escape was going to be hard, very hard, but it would be worth it. To get out of this damn place that was filled with blood and tears and hate--to get to the real world where he could have a life...

"Huh?" he jerked forward again at Ash. Did...did she just...laugh? Well...it didn't matter, anyway, he just needed to get on with the plan. "Okay, so if you 'stumble' your way to the front door, we can see how fast they act. Just be sure to get an accurate feeling of where you are. And if they start hassling you--" he was about to say something, something that would make him seem 'nice', but he decided against it... "just...throw that punch if you have to..." he gave a quick. nervous smile before turning to Kyria. "You've been quiet. What do ya' think?"