RheaZen

Rhea's Art

So, I want to try my hand at spriting, is there a site that I should use in order to do the drawing, or can I just do it by hand and upload it? I couldn't find any spriting programs...

Though I do want to get back into art, I have a ton of stuff here to use. I ordered it all when I was in Afghanistan on my second deployment. I figured it would have been as uneventful as my first one, but I was wrong and never had time to do any drawing.

Thanks

tiki - Nuuuu redlines. Fiiine. Do whatever ;p

Well I'd really rather not bother you for something as simple as a practice sprite. You've got so many others to help and I've bugged you so much already anyway. X\

*Shrugs*

Krynite, there ought to be a thread in Multimedia about that... I think there is. Anyways, I use Photoshop, but a lot of spriters use GIMP and Paint.net and MSPaint.

Hey, I'm back.

user posted image

I extended the tail a bit more, and added back the legs. I decided to just scrap the legs I'd done before and redo the legs completely, trying for a more dynamic pose, hopefully.

Cool, I will have to get photo shop for my computer. I used to be pretty proficient at it.

Tobey, looks good! The pose isn't perfect in regards to flow, but it's close enough, and you captured the movement quite well.

gray, may I see your reference picture?

Shaj, ooh no wonder it looks weird, you don't have the rock. Add the rock in and it'll look a lot better. Also, it's a bit hard to tell with a B&W picture, but I think that in some areas you're mixing up shading with what is actually a different color.

Edited by RheaZen

user posted image

Let's use this for now.

- Your emu's tail/butt is overly large.

- The legs are a bit thick and.

- The overall positioning is awkward, and while you can tell it's supposed to be walking/standing the lack of proper anatomy just makes it look wrong.

If you want continued crits as you work over this, please present an outline to work with. Shading comes later.

Sand, let me redline...

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Sand - redlines.

Tobey - tweaked the legs just a teeny bit and the head a bit more so it's a little less top-heavy and awkward looking. Ideally the wings should be bigger but you should probably try that yourself.

Xbc - Ah, I feel your pain. Part of the problem was that the body was too short - had to elongate it a bit. Not perfect lines, but a bit better.

Edited by RheaZen

Alright, you can move onto colors now, the ears look fine.

user posted image

Working on another large sprite :>

This one is an Opal Cartbeast from Zarnisland:

user posted image

Jazi made the cartbeasts, I'm just spriting an Cartbeast OC for one of the people at Zarn. Shiny is hard; is it working?

Edited by RheaZen

derp derp.

I think you're doing a very nice job. Just hard for me to tell which parts are finished and what aren't. The big part of shiny is contrast, and you have that going on real well on the neck. o3o I think the excess of yellow sort of ruins it, though... Try making more of it white. After all, the base highlight is white, the pink and yellow are just speckled around to make it stand out even more. But, really, the yellow and pink are such eye catching colours that even a whiff of them will give you the impression of ooh sparkles.

Puurdy job, though, can't wait for it to be done. :3 The opal cartbeasts were one of my favs, too. <3

user posted image

Thanks Zov ^^ Here's another WIP shot, there aren't any finished parts and I'm just trying to round out the proper areas of highlight and shadow. I'll keep your advice in mind, especially the bit about the yellow.

<3 Looks great! Though, I think the neck was a little bit better before, because the shiny really came through. Here's a derptastic explanation.

user posted image

i r shiny

So that little tiny bit of super dark next to the highlights on the neck made it really stand out and purdy. <3

Loving the arm, though. Great job on it. ^^

Alright, I'll add the superdark back. lolderpdog. Thing? It looks like a dog.

@<@ too late, coherence is low.

ty saph ^^

I have absolutely no idea what that thing is, TBH. >_> I just figured that my typical serpent/crab/dog/bat insane monster hybrid might not work so well as an example. ._.

And now you've got me wanted to draw something shiny.

I'm back with another winged seal.

user posted image

Any advice before I start shading?