TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Hmm, I did another round of judging. I'm definitely settling into a rhythm with it. The biggest things I've been downvoting for are garlands that don't fit properly on the tree, debris left in the visible zone, and misuse of tree toppers (either they don't fit properly on the tree, or they're floating in space with the hole where the tree is supposed to go glaring out at me.) I know that the debris might be the fault of a glitch, which makes me sorry for the person who made it, but still, a debris-cluttered tree is not going to win the contest just because it might have been accidental.

The biggest things I've been upvoting for are symmetry, nice spacing of the ornaments, creative touches, and a pretty flow of colors. I'm pretty sure I've given good scores to many trees whose owners were thinking "Oh, I'll never win." If it's well-composed, I'm giving it good scores even if there's nothing original about it or it's even a little bit crowded. It's the spacing and colors that do it for me the most.

Someone said there were 6000 trees, and someone else said 8000. If it's 6000, there's an outside chance I may finish them all by the end of the voting period. If it's 8000, there is no chance of that. But it is fun to see some of them, anyway!

In that case, maybe I have a chance after all!

ROFL

Added:

I just came across the most perfect tree! I'd be giving it a ten if it wasn't for the heart they put next to the tree. I don't like the heart at all. I really wish it didn't have the heart. It would be the perfect traditional tree otherwise...

Edited by Shalarean

I'm sitting here voting and my friend came up to where I was. Now he keeps questioning my votes and starts arguements. I've been on this one tree for five minutes xd.png

Weeeee!!!! I just gave my first 10!!!! When I first saw the tree, I thought it was glowing! The lights and garlands and decorations are just lovely! biggrin.gif

Gah, database errors! >.< Anyone else running into that again? I'm trying to see and vote on as many tree's as possible, but this isn't making it any easier! :/ That being said, I'm loving all the tree's and it's obvious that most everyone worked hard and put a lot of thought into their tree designs! smile.gif I hope TJ does this again next year! biggrin.gif

I gave out another 10 today.

I also saw another cute one that lined up the lights along the top, like you were looking through a doorway - it was cute.

I will say, though, if the game calculated my average score, it would probably be around "3".

I'm having so much fun seeing everyone's trees!

I especially love those that used the Velociraptor ornament as a scarf for their dragon lol. It DOES look like a little scarf when placed correctly - makes me smile. smile.gif

It looks like a lot of people didn't realize things to the right of the tree didn't disappear, feel bad. Some trees were really awesome other than that problem.

Gah, database errors! >.< Anyone else running into that again? I'm trying to see and vote on as many tree's as possible, but this isn't making it any easier! :/ That being said, I'm loving all the tree's and it's obvious that most everyone worked hard and put a lot of thought into their tree designs! smile.gif I hope TJ does this again next year! biggrin.gif

I've had these several times today as well blink.gif

Did anyone else have a deliberate theme for their tree?

I made a rainbow heart and put 5 birds and an angel on it- you'd never guess but it was in memory of the 5 kids who committed suicide this past year.

Just curious if anyone else did something like that

Yeah, I have a theme tree...I won't describe it though. I read earlier that people were getting annoyed that user's were admitting that certain tree's were theirs, which I did before in ignorance, and I don't want to upset anyone! smile.gif I've seen many themes that I really loved, and lot's of beauties! There are a lot of creative minds on DC! biggrin.gif

Awesome!

If someone wanted to be absurdly picky and ask for a dragon with a specific code, would that be allowed if it's not taken? I am stupid and can't read, never mind. xd.png

How about CB alts?

Alts cant be CB but you can ask for CB parents though

So far, I haven't gotten tired of the repetitive designs, but the sloppiness of some are the ones that irritate me. I do like the silver/blue theme, but if it's not done well, it gets a low score.

And the layering of the silver/gold tinsel hasn't really been that appealing. Mostly because most of the trees I've seen that do that, don't really have much else on it. Or decide to throw on most/all of the toppers.

*shrugs*

Still have yet to see one that reminds me of my own. Saw one with a similar color scheme, but done completely different. *is still hopeful*

Though I have seen that some people don't like tri color schemes... unsure.gif

I swear I keep coming across the same trees over and over again. It makes me wonder if some people worked on their trees together or something. *eye-roll*

This is fun,

I'm giving high scores for trees that are simple, have an original idea, and are pleasing to the eye. The highest I've given is a 9- I'm waiting to be blown away for a 10!

I really don't like the overly cluttered trees-- if all garlands and all dragons are on it, it probably wont' get a very high score from me.

Yes, but for every person that doesn't like a tri color theme, there's one that does! And I doubt anyone was working together! lol It's just that the traditional tree is the one that's most popular, and that's what we're seeing a lot of. But still, I've seen many, many different takes on traditional tree's that were very lovely.

Some of the tree's I'm not getting though. I ran across one tree that had almost all the ornaments on the right side. I'm not really sure what that was all about.. O.o

Yet to see a 10. but I'm not scoring overly low for those that have stuff on the sides. i'm just looking at the tree. b.c mine has something on the side and wasn't meant to so i won't judge based on that.

I think some people were having issues with the decorating, either it wasn't working right or not loading.

I'm rating based on looks, even if there are a lot of traditional trees (mine is, wasn't clever enough for anything else)

Again, "less is more", I think some people used every decoration they possibly could, not very pleasing to the eyes unfortunately.

I've seen two "10"s in my eyes. Clever ones.

I think I might of found a way to make those dragon ornaments work but I am not too sure. The tree looks clean and there is not so much on it but I don't think the decorations match

Some had to be glitches. I saw some where ornaments were very neatly arranged around the tree in little rows or groups, and the tree itself looked half done. I know I almost banned myself from my scroll after mine was set so I'd stop messing with it. Luckily my will is not that strong so I found the bug. Even though I've no delusions of grandeur about winning, it would have been a sour pill to have it half done. /my sympathies to those that got caught with it.

Am I the only person that went to my scroll, clicked on my tree instead of the vote link and thought, "oh that's a nice one! Wait that's... fami... oh /facepalm..."

Well, what do you know. You wade through loads and loads of kitsch and katamari when suddenly the gods of dc decide to have mercy on your soul and let you rest your eyes on a simple, but beautifully delivered tree well worthy of the higher scores. Aah, what comfort for a voter on the verge of migraine happy.gif

Am I the only person that went to my scroll, clicked on my tree instead of the vote link and thought, "oh that's a nice one! Wait that's... fami... oh /facepalm..."

Nope I did too lol.