TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Some had to be glitches. I saw some where ornaments were very neatly arranged around the tree in little rows or groups, and the tree itself looked half done. I know I almost banned myself from my scroll after mine was set so I'd stop messing with it. Luckily my will is not that strong so I found the bug. Even though I've no delusions of grandeur about winning, it would have been a sour pill to have it half done. /my sympathies to those that got caught with it.

Am I the only person that went to my scroll, clicked on my tree instead of the vote link and thought, "oh that's a nice one! Wait that's... fami... oh /facepalm..."

Bahahahahaha smile.gif That's classic!

Sadly mine was a glitch.. ah well. I didn't expect to win anyways.

Hey! My raptor isn't showing up! I'm positive I put it right next to my French horn! Great, now what do I do? dry.gif

Anyways, I did see one treet worthy of a 10, but I accidentally navigated away before I could vote. sad.gif Weird. I saw at least two people with smiley face trees. Sadly, I see way too many people over crowding their their trees with ornaments/garlands/dragons. I even saw one case where the dragons are piled up on each other.

I'm a little sad that I missed out on Day 10, because I loved the silvery berry-like garland. Oh well, I'll consider myself lucky if I even get an honorary mention.

I'm sitting here voting and my friend came up to where I was. Now he keeps questioning my votes and starts arguements. I've been on this one tree for five minutes xd.png

Hahaha...that's funny!

This voting is making my eyes buggy.

I swear I saw the same tree like 15 times.

I did a bunch of voting last night when I was stuck at work. Today I'm trying to do a bunch more and I keep thinking.... didn't I see this yesterday???

Anyway today I'm like Ok you get a 5 if your tree looks like you spent time on it but it's "average".... after all 5 is average isn't it?

So then if it looks like you really went all out but I'm not so keen on it... I gave a 6..... but some are just pretty...... they get a 7....

I haven't scored anything higher than a 7.

I've taken off for having stuff just floating about.... after all the focus is supposed to be tree decorating not background clutter.

And then I been giving those trees that look like someone just dumped everything they could onto it in no special order just to cram every ornament onto the tree a 3... I can't stand to look at them long. It's like BLAH! Clutter.... and move on....

There have been several that I've seen that I can tell folk really put some time and thought into..... wow talk about nice.

I'm waiting to see one that is a 10. But I've never been good at surveys I almost never give anything top score.... to me there is almost always room to improve otherwise why bother doing a survey...... it's prefect leave it.

But the voting is sooo hard.

Those who had nothing I gave them a 1.... I've seen at least 6 of those so far.

I've seen three trees, all different, that had birds on the tinsel. All were blue and silver themed.

blink.gif

I dont knwo who made the dragon out of the ornaments putting UP the ornaments but I WANT a copy fo that one if possible. And the one who wrapped their tree in a dragon made from the orniments too. That second one took a moment to see but it was cool once I figured it out. Copy please?

I came across one tree earlier that was... hmm, how to describe? Non-traditional, rather minimalist even... subdued colors, with the pieces of pale bauble-rope arranged into what I can only call a half-helix. It was like modern art -- the good kind, not Jackson Pollock -- on a tree. I did rate it fairly high at the time (a surprise to me, since I generally prefer traditional trees), but the more I think about it, the more I like it, and I do wish I could go back and bump my vote even higher. Ah, well.

Unknown modern-art tree decorator, you have my admiration. Of everything I've voted on so far, yours is the only tree that keeps wandering back to mind. smile.gif

EDIT: Oh, and I have now seen the pickle-pecker tree. *facepalm* I was so hoping that people were kidding about that one...

Edited by Evilminion

EDIT: Oh, and I have now seen the pickle-pecker tree. *facepalm* I was so hoping that people were kidding about that one...

LOL, I've seen not one, not two, but THREE!! The other has a mate, a potato pecker.. or

I've just came across the Mr. Roboto Tree .. and I don't know how to rate it. It is awesome and really a standout, esp. the robot head but again ... I am torn because this is a TREE decorating contest ...

I appear to be generous when it comes to voting. I never give anyone lower than a 5 unless they deserve it, and so far, none have.

Again, hoping to get something out of this. Hollies are so hard to come by.

Oh hehe I just found one that says WIN...... LOL

So for I guess I'm lucky and have either been too sleepy, dreamy or click happy to notice a pickle pecker..... whew! But then maybe I haven't come across that yet.

Edited by MalagAste

So far I have found about 6 strait 10's in my book! I love the busy yet not quite cluttered look and some of them really have the spark im looking for! I came across one that is right now my fave. I would have given it a 20 if I could. I just wish I had thought of that idea first. smile.gif Great job everyone!!!

Because of the glitch.

I decorated and submitted my tree during the glitch period. I noticed afterwards that all the decorations came off my tree but I thought it was fine because I thought that when I hit submit, the image of my tree as it was would be the one everyone sees and votes on but that's not the case.

Hundreds of people have been caught out by this.

Now every time I look in this thread I get angry because all I see is people saying 'this person submitted a blank tree! How lazy! They've put no effort in at all. I'm giving this a 1'

I saw no warnings about this glitch. I would have thought there would have been an entire thread dedicated to it. If it only happened to myself and one or two other people I'd hold my hands up and say fine, I'm an idiot, but there are loads of people out there now who have lost out because they weren't stalking this huge thread every hour looking for comments on a glitch they were not expecting.

I'm sorry, i didn't knew that. It must be irritating that all your ornaments are gone sad.gif

~ And sorry for late reaction :/

i just saw one with a picture of a shooting star. pretty cool

I saw one like that, but the star was a snow flake. So far I haven't seen any 10's. Only the 3 that I posted a long time ago.

LOL, I've seen not one, not two, but THREE!! The other has a mate, a potato pecker.. or

I've just came across the Mr. Roboto Tree .. and I don't know how to rate it. It is awesome and really a standout, esp. the robot head but again ... I am torn because this is a TREE decorating contest ...

I saw the robot tree too yesterday yet i haven't seen these infamous lewd trees and not until today did i see a single TJ tree... then they happened to show up three in a row dry.gif

As a side note personally i am tired of the blue-silver theme it looked beautiful at first but now its just overused. It is almost every other tree i see that has this theme.

I'm not so fond of that tree critique thread, because even if it is your own tree I think it will definitely affect people's voting when they know who some of those trees belong to and what to look out for, effectively defeating the purpose of the anonymity that so many people worried about in the beginning - that people would vote higher on a tree only because they know or favor the maker instead of the tree.

I know I'm curious to know what people thought of my tree, but really, that discussion could have waited one week.

Ah well, I'm pretty sure I already voted some of those trees and am just going to stay clear of that thread.

I agree with that. After all, the point of this contest is to remain anonymous, so posting your tree somewhere might give someone an unfair advantage because people might be looking for that person's tree.

I don't think people who submitted a blank tree are lazy, but they're getting a 1 anyways. I can't tell whether they put work into it or not, nor the quality of work which might have been put into it (and erased by glitchy saving), so, unfortunately, it's down at the bottom. If you can't rate a tree that has nothing on it a 1, what can you rate as a 1?

That said, my average rating is probably a 3. If it's pretty, but overall unremarkable, it gets a 5. If it really strikes me, it gets higher than that. My maximum score so far has been a 9. I generally rate down trees which are picture trees or have text on them, though really exceptional trees might get a high rating from me anyways.

I just believe in using the entire scoring range.

To clear up any question you have, about posting tree images/links.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=109966

For just an instant, I saw Plan A as "no reposting of trees, links, or lineages" and wondered whether we could breed our trees... laugh.gif Maybe if the bare ones got busy with the katamari trees, the resultant offspring would be tastefully decorated...?

Am I the only person that went to my scroll, clicked on my tree instead of the vote link and thought, "oh that's a nice one! Wait that's... fami... oh /facepalm..."

No - I do that, too! :-P

"Oh, that's a nice one... It looks a lot like mine. Maybe an 8?"

Then I realize there's no vote button. xd.png

I've decided, rather than rating this like a "tree decorating" contest, I'm going to treat it more like a coloring contest.

When people get those black and white pictures, sometimes they color in the lines, and sometimes they add their own things to the picture, and there's no rules requiring one way or the other.

Both attempts can look amazing (or horrible), so I think it's fair to judge them on what they were trying to accomplish, rather than holding them responsible for being a tree.

... where do i go to vote? :/

On your scroll, below the "Generate Incubator" link is a new, temporary one.

http://dragcave.net/treevote

EDIT: Merging my posts so it doesn't look like I double posted.

Edited by SolarCat

I've decided, rather than rating this like a "tree decorating" contest, I'm going to treat it more like a coloring contest.

When people get those black and white pictures, sometimes they color in the lines, and sometimes they add their own things to the picture, and there's no rules requiring one way or the other.

Both attempts can look amazing (or horrible), so I think it's fair to judge them on what they were trying to accomplish, rather than holding them responsible for being a tree.

what a very interesting way to look at it. i like it x3

I'm ridiculously tired of all the tens or dozens of people who thought it was appropriate to use ALL 8 tree toppers. I was giving them threes or fours, but now only the really good ones are getting that. The fail ones are getting ones and twos.

Crumbs. I don't even understand that - but I am still voting on what I would like in my living room, so I'm OK mate !

Lulz. Found another TJ tree that made me lul and I gave it a 6 because the topper was placed rightly. xd.png