solaflar3

Snow

It was snowing today! Tons of it, but it didn't stick, at all. So we had school. To make my snowy day worse, our grade was in the gym this break (our school has one of its 4 grades inside as the playground only should have 3 grades). The snow is very moody here, barley is snowing one minute, you look up 2 mins later and guess what? The snow is everywhere! And yet it never sticks. Did I mention the sludge on the street? The water on the pavement? Gosh, the snow today sucks. Oh and BTW I live in London and we get snow days once a year usually. Please be tomorrow!!!

I can't wait for snow! We had a pretty big rainstorm last night but wasn't cold enough for snow I guess. Though I probably won't get any days off for snow since I'm in college now. They seriously NEVER cancel school unless they absolutely have to. Everyone thinks I'm weird but I love winter and snow and yeah D:

Last year the school buses went out before the plows a few days.  They drove over a foot of snow on the road and only three were late to school.

I'm new to driving, and I've been on an icy road once, drove through the snow once.  I had absolutely no issues.  Unless you have really bad tires there's no reason to have issues in the snow.  Now if you're on a dirt road during the fall the leaves can be more slippery than snow and ice.

The difference though is that the majority of drivers DO have at least some experience driving in snow and ice. Here, the majority do not, and there are lots of accidents during snow. Note that it has been years since the last time snow has actually stuck to the roads around here. You also have to factor in the fear of the unknown, people have rarely, if ever, driven in snow, so they are going to be nervous and will react too swiftly or in ways they shouldn't if something goes wrong.

Edited by Nectaris

Ahhh yes us sothen softys who has sheets of ice for the past week and it was bellow freezeing all day as well. Try walking it it solar, not nice Brrr

Oh pull the other one. I'm in Sussex and I work outside all day. Yes it has been cold the last week, but we've not had sheets of ice. Unlike the North, where I know for a fact our company call centre is closed because the staff can't get in.

Interestingly there also seems to have been more snow in Sussex (where I live) than there has been in Surrey (where I was working today).

Sola - might have to keep an eye out for snow chains. They'd be invaluble for me. Half the time I've not been able to work because of snow it's because I haven't been able to get out of my village, not because the main roads are bad.

Schools closing because of cold is very uncommon here. I can remember only once when the school was closed due to bad weather. I think I was around 9 years old at the time. Then it was around -45 ºC and storm, but thing was that the phones were out because of the weather so the children walked to school anyway only to be told that they had to walk back again because the heating system in the building had broken down.

The only time I experienced closed schools was during the snow storm in -95. rolleyes.gif

Personally I don't get what there is to be depressed over. There's SNOW out there!

I don't get depressed when it's snow outside. I get depressed when there ISN'T! When it's dark, muddy and everything goes in greyish black. Though 'depressed' isn't a good word, I only get tired and want to hibernate. ^^'

It snowed on Thanksgiving for me smile.gif

Last year was great for snow - In England it snowed in April, and then in November/February I got a ton of snow days.

We don't have any snow yet. We usually don't get any until January.

But they are calling for some soon, I think. wink.gif

Oh pull the other one. I'm in Sussex and I work outside all day. Yes it has been cold the last week, but we've not had sheets of ice. Unlike the North, where I know for a fact our company call centre is closed because the staff can't get in.

Interestingly there also seems to have been more snow in Sussex (where I live) than there has been in Surrey (where I was working today).

Sola - might have to keep an eye out for snow chains. They'd be invaluble for me. Half the time I've not been able to work because of snow it's because I haven't been able to get out of my village, not because the main roads are bad.

We've had 12 inches of snow today, on top of what we had yesterday and it is still snowing like mad out there. More forecast up to the weekend and possibly beyond that.

Kids were both off today and probably tomorrow. I'm not attempting to drive although I am able to work from home - which is what I have been trying to do, although an overexcited 9 year old who can't walk THAT well on normal ground, let alone snow and ice but still wants to go make a snowman has been pestering me to go outside with her....

She wants me to put ski's on her walker! Not quite sure how that will work out...

Our place does not get snow. I live in a desert, but I am not giving away my location. Man.

BUT for winter break I'm going to Europe (no location to give to you-I don't wanna get personnapped) with snow. Yayyyyyyyy. happy.gif

~Cavey

Did someone say snow? Lol. I love it when it snows; I like to Ski and sled and get out of class ;3

We've only had a little snow so far. Our first one was on Thanksgiving, but there hasn't been much since then. This makes me happy, I really don't like snow. I'm dreading when there will be a lot of it. ><

I think there is one quote to this that describes everything:

"Snow is a special pleasure reserved for those who don't drive"

-Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes.

We had snow on November 7th. I live in Southern New England, about ten miles from the beach... I was like "What is this I don't even"

Nothing since then, which is normal for New England. Mother Nature had a spaz, apparently.

I love snow, though. NO SCHOOL YES 8D I get to sleep in~ Although school in the summer is kinda sucky. Snow is pretty, and it's sort of a ritual for me to run around like a caffeinated squirrel in the first snow of the year. Assuming the first snow occurs at a roughly sane time for me to do so.

We've had 12 inches of snow today, on top of what we had yesterday and it is still snowing like mad out there. More forecast up to the weekend and possibly beyond that.

Kids were both off today and probably tomorrow. I'm not attempting to drive although I am able to work from home - which is what I have been trying to do, although an overexcited 9 year old who can't walk THAT well on normal ground, let alone snow and ice but still wants to go make a snowman has been pestering me to go outside with her....

She wants me to put ski's on her walker! Not quite sure how that will work out...

From a quick look out the window this morning I'd say we're up to two inches here. That's going to make work pretty interesting as I'm supposed to be going around a bunch of farms, and the area I'm doing it in was hit worse than we were with it yesterday. Oh well. Make the attempt to get out there (if I can even get out of my road - little peugeot + steep hill road + snow =/= easy driving) and see what happens.

Amazingly enough we're uncharacteristically warm here. It was warm enough earlier the other day for me to go out in shorts and no shirt. I live in central Ohio. Yeeeeeeeeeeah usually it's FREEZING this time of year.

The thing I find most amusing is that I've been saying this was coming for the last couple of months. You only had to look at the world around you to know it was coming - bumper crops of berries and nuts on all the wild bushes and trees. I was saying in September "We're in for another hard winter." and I actualy had some of my family laugh at me for it. Guess who was right? The winds coming into the UK are coming down from Scandinavia, most of the country is under a blanket of snow, and it's not looking to really let up any time soon. rolleyes.gif Told y'all so.

Looks like I'm not going to get out to work today. I went out about 10 mins ago for a look around, and we've already got 3 cars stuck on the hill I live on. My other half also rang to say he'd needed to lowest range on his 4x4 to get out of the village. Yeah.... my work van isn't going to cut it. Maybe now they'll listen when I tell them I need a 4x4 myself....

I wouldn't mind some snow over here, we had some around october or early november, but it was only enough to thinly coat the ground before sunrise.

It would definitely make walking to class more fun : D Human ice trains~

On the other hand, no more cold ;_;

From a quick look out the window this morning I'd say we're up to two inches here. That's going to make work pretty interesting as I'm supposed to be going around a bunch of farms, and the area I'm doing it in was hit worse than we were with it yesterday. Oh well. Make the attempt to get out there (if I can even get out of my road - little peugeot + steep hill road + snow =/= easy driving) and see what happens.

It didn't stop all night. We've had around 18 inches here since yesterday and it is still snowing. The car is going nowhere I can assure you. My other half is supposed to be going down to London today; he woke at 6.30am, looked out of the window, said 'sod it' and got back in bed. All the trains are cancelled anyway.

We're right at the top of the hill in our village and the roads are treacherous. The bus routes have been ploughed but it's just kept snowing. I saw the lights from the snow ploughs at about 4am but the roads are already covered with about another 6 inches since then, on top of compacted ice.

Wonder if the 25 tons of rock salt that the council depo has will last - bet they are not so confident now.

It didn't stop all night. We've had around 18 inches here since yesterday and it is still snowing. The car is going nowhere I can assure you. My other half is supposed to be going down to London today; he woke at 6.30am, looked out of the window, said 'sod it' and got back in bed. All the trains are cancelled anyway.

We're right at the top of the hill in our village and the roads are treacherous. The bus routes have been ploughed but it's just kept snowing. I saw the lights from the snow ploughs at about 4am but the roads are already covered with about another 6 inches since then, on top of compacted ice.

Wonder if the 25 tons of rock salt that the council depo has will last - bet they are not so confident now.

Same here - snowing all night, on top of the snow and ice we had already. Sounds like your village is the same as mine - right on top of a hill. Trouble is where I am there's a crossroads on the very peak of the hill, and it's used as a fairly major route around here. Yet they don't grit it. At all. I've spent 3 hours this morning out on the crossroads pushing the cars that got stuck, including 45 mins trying to get a lorry up the hill.

Fun.

No work for me today. Or for the rest of the week most like.

The UK is useless with snow. We've got all of what, an inch on the ground? Suddenly schools are closed & the buses are cancelled.

Man up England.

The UK is useless with snow. We've got all of what, an inch on the ground? Suddenly schools are closed & the buses are cancelled.

Man up England.

We've got about 2 foot of snow up here on the Pennines Kestra biggrin.gif

Though I do completely agree with you, we just don't know how to deal with snow and aren't prepared.

We've got about 2 foot of snow up here on the Pennines Kestra biggrin.gif

Though I do completely agree with you, we just don't know how to deal with snow and aren't prepared.

Think we've got a minimum of 6 inches here in Sussex too.

I do agree on the unprepared part of it, though. We've got motorways and major A-roads closing up. If we had things like, I dunno, SNOW PLOUGHS, that might not be happened. Yeah, I know rural villages are going to lock up under weather like this. It's the problems on the major roads that always amaze me. And don't even get me started on the trains....

We've got a dusting on the ground this morning.

Normally I don't mind snow. But I'm sick, and don't want to walk to class in it. D:

It's also the last week of class before exams, so I can't NOT go to class.