solaflar3

Snow

So yeah, we're in the middle of an unseasonably cold snap here in the UK. I'm in the north of England and we've been dumped upon by tons and tons of the white stuff. And it's snowing again, with more forecast for the next 36 hours.

Didn't make it into work today, it was supposed to be my first day back as I was off all last week with tonsillitis. But after I dug out the car, the roads were too dangerous - we're high up in the Pennines. My daughter's school was open and miraculously my son's was too - he attends the autism class in a school about 7 miles away of which the only way there is along 5 miles of rural country lanes which typically were not gritted or snowploughed. However his minibus got there, half an hour late but it got there. I think both schools will be closed tomorrow (deep joy...).

Thursday the forecast is for -11 which is unheard of for this time of year. Anyone else shivering away?

Here, Texas is being bipolar as usual. It's 80-something now, it's gonna be like 20-something tonight. :c I wish it'd pick a temp and go with it. Whiiine.

We've had a lot of snow where I am :> I'm hoping for more.

Snow is love, I'm so glad it's getting to winter.

Florida does not get snow and this makes me SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

I <333 snow and want it again.

No snow here, just cold rain. :/

I'm in the southern US btw, but no exact location will be given.

EDIT: Ok, I'm in Georgia. *waves to Florida* Hai Nix. :3

Edited by Drako_tamer

Where I live, we only get snow in late-to-middle of February to March. One time, I'm fairly certain it snowed in April. Not entirely sure how that's supposed to work.

Here it's just freezing and we get a ton of rain. It only snows about once a year.

I live in Florida so no snow for me (and I don't miss it).

Thursday the forecast is for -11 which is unheard of for this time of year.  Anyone else shivering away?

Looks like the lowest temperature record in Latvia for this time of year was broken last night, -20 Celsius in some inland towns.

But to be honest, hearing about what already constitutes a severely disruptive snowfall in Western Europe, we, North-Eastern Europeans, chuckle. Here in winters even when snow becomes more than knee-deep things just tend to get somewhat slower (traffic-wise), but nothing gets closed, except schools when there are severe storms (usually in January) or cold waves. Children under 10th grade are allowed to stay home if temperatures hit below -20 Celsius, high-schoolers - if temperatures hit -25, and I don't think there are any weather-related excuses for working adults, only recommendations to dress warmly and drive safely.

Heck, last winter the plane I was on while returning from London landed during a stong blizzard - no delays or anything.

Edited by lightbird

We had an inch of snow back in November, before Thanksgiving. Then it shot back up into the 60's and 70's. The weather here doesn't know what it wants to do.

It's getting cold again, though, so we should see some more snow soonish.

Edited by AngelKitty

Living where I do in East Texas means that we don't get snow very often if at all. Often times even places further south will get snow before we get any.

Thursday the forecast is for -11 which is unheard of for this time of year. Anyone else shivering away?

Last year was worse. I had knee-deep snow everywere and minus 15C degrees. This year "only" calf-deep and minus 10C degrees. Well, so far anyway. *Knocks on wood*

Nothing closed last year, nothing closed this year.

Hehe, yeah, I live in Minnesota, where it's not really out of the ordinary for us to get significant snowfall... pretty much anywhere from mid-October through late May. *g*

Love snow myself! We got our first snowfall the last week of October this year, and it's really started to get cold now. Been getting a fair amount of snow the over the last couple of weeks, and we're supposed to get another storm tonight. Looks like winter's set in in earnest now. :D

I live in Iowa and the weather has always been bipolar. Right now, it's about 40 degrees Fahrenheit, but two weeks ago it was about 25 degrees with snow flurries. The week before that? 60 degrees and sunny. At this time last year we already had snow. However, we've had enough precipitation in the past twelve months. Heck, we had five snow days my senior year of high school (aka last year). Where I'm from, there needs to be at least a foot of snow to get school to even be delayed, never mind canceled! We don't need any form of water right now!

I do know it will get colder, much, much colder. January and February are our worst months, with the temperature dropping into single digits with wind chill that's below zero degrees.

Edited by Blazestarre

I'm jealous that snow is a valid excuse for not going to work for you! Where I live we don't get any snow except blizzards because of the geography of the area (a big flat plain with constant colliding air masses from the north and south), and everyone is expected to just suck it up and wake up two hours early and freaking walk to work if that's not enough time to dig your car out. It's kinda awful.

5,5 inches of snow around here in Finland, it can get thrice as big as that before anyone gets to leave work for it. 8|

Oh, it's about -25 celsius. Cold.

Edited by Kiraine

I'm jealous that snow is a valid excuse for not going to work for you! Where I live we don't get any snow except blizzards because of the geography of the area (a big flat plain with constant colliding air masses from the north and south), and everyone is expected to just suck it up and wake up two hours early and freaking walk to work if that's not enough time to dig your car out. It's kinda awful.

It gets pretty bleak up here when we get it bad. Though that said we haven't been getting it bad for years. We got snowed in in Dec/Jan last/this year - lasted for weeks. It started snowing about 6 days ago and it is still snowing now with lots more forecast. I guess we aren't used to it any more even though where I am we do tend to get it quite bad compared to some areas of the UK.

The Pennines is basically a mountain range here. This will give you an idea of what it's like where I am Pennines.

From the 1st post:

I'm in the north of England and we've been dumped upon by tons and tons of the white stuff.

Should I OOC it?

BTW, I've neither seen nor touched snow...

Edited by caramba2654

Where I live, we usually have snow by now... but there isn't any. I can live without it, I just hate that it's so cold. I can only do cold if there's snow. And we hardly ever get snow days, our school only cancels for the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ... mad.gif

Ugh, I can't wait to move to California...

I'm in California, it's getting "cold" over here, but of course there's no snow. Sadly. I say "cold" because it's cold for us, but the temperature's not actually that low.

I refuse to see this temperature as cold xd.png

I'm in California, it's getting "cold" over here, but of course there's no snow. Sadly. I say "cold" because it's cold for us, but the temperature's not actually that low.

I refuse to see this temperature as cold xd.png

Same here, but this morning, we had frost on the ground. At least it's still nice in the afternoon. xd.png

I love how in the southern US and other areas a state of emergency is declared for like 3 inches of snow. xd.png

We get a reasonable amount in Central NY. The Tug Hill region gets hammered with lake effect sometimes, but nothing like the mountainous and more northern areas.

Edit: I want to go skiing NAO!

Edited by spyro76