Kokuchan

Ghosts and Other Paranormalities

Heh, true that, Vexx. What kind of crazy person would want ghosts lingering around? Especially the more violent kinds. If I could explain some of this stuff with science and be done with it, I would, just for some peace of mind.

The more benign presences don't bug me so bad, but when you're completely alone in a field and you suddenly get the feeling of the temperature going way up or down and someone clutching at you is annoying as crap, if only because I can't give a good reason as to why my hair is standing on end and I'm shaking like a leaf.

And all I can think is 'And atheists wonder why so many people dislike them'.

I HAPPEN TO BE AN ATHEIST AND AM OFFENDED BY THAT STATEMENT

Just kidding, man. (Srsly am an atheist though)

But seriously guys, it's sort of...counter-productive to shut down people talking about paranormal experiences in a thread about the paranormal. I can understand asking about nearby animals, family members, how old the house is etc. to help debunk the story, but just saying "no evidence your argument is invalid" isn't going to work. That's like going on the /x/ board of 4chan and complaining that they're talking about ghosts. Well, yeah, of course they are, it's the freaking Paranormal board.

In a thread about the paranormal, we are going to talk about the paranormal.

EDIT FOR RELEVANCE: When I get that sort of feeling, like something is staring at me, I usually chalk it up to the genetical schizophrenia I may/may not have inherited. The drop in temperature is faulty heating in the house -- there are constant drafts in every corner of the room, including wherever the wall meets the floor. If it's a 90 degree angle, you can bet it's going to be drafty.

Edited by Drer'Ahv

I HAPPEN TO BE AN ATHEIST AND AM OFFENDED BY THAT STATEMENT

Just kidding, man. (Srsly am an atheist though)

I'm talking more about those whose arguments boil down to basically "No, you're wrong."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't debates supposed to have two sides? >-> Or are we already in the realm of 'childish bickering'?

On-topic-ish: would Voodoo be considered paranormal or religious? I have a strong belief in that stuff, I try to stay away from it as much as possible. D;

I'm talking more about those whose arguments boil down to basically "No, you're wrong."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't debates supposed to have two sides? >-> Or are we already in the realm of 'childish bickering'?

On-topic-ish: would Voodoo be considered paranormal or religious? I have a strong belief in that stuff, I try to stay away from it as much as possible. D;

Seeing that I'm still technically a child all of my bickering falls into the childish bickering realm. :3

AND THAT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE WRONG. SO THERE. *sticks tongue out*

Hmm....voodoo? I don't really believe in it, I think it would be a hybrid of the two though. It depends what sort of voodoo you are talking about. There's the voodoo where natives will use chemicals/poisonous plants to turn enemies into mindless "zombies", and then there's "LULZ I HAS VOODOO DOLL".

I dun really believe the doll. I believe the chemicals/zombies, though.

Edited by Drer'Ahv

Well, there is a type of voodoo doll. It's not the 'lulz poke it and see what happens' type of thing- it's more of a figure that represents whoever you're trying to affect and the spirits can recognize that person through the doll and do things to that person that you tell to happen through the doll, good or bad.

I made a voodoo doll once. :I pretty much everything I told it to make happen happened. So many times that I refuse to think of it as merely coincidence any more. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

Then there's the various types of rituals that go on to call upon the spirits and whatnot... I find that crap creepy as hell...

Well, there is a type of voodoo doll. It's not the 'lulz poke it and see what happens' type of thing- it's more of a figure that represents whoever you're trying to affect and the spirits can recognize that person through the doll and do things to that person that you tell to happen through the doll, good or bad.

I made a voodoo doll once. :I pretty much everything I told it to make happen happened. So many times that I refuse to think of it as merely coincidence any more. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

Then there's the various types of rituals that go on to call upon the spirits and whatnot... I find that crap creepy as hell...

Hmm. Interesting.

One time I ran an experiment with Rri like that. It sort of scared me.

Yeah, I make a point not to read any of the "DO THIS TO SUMMON [X]" sorts of things, because I know that while I'll be perfectly cool with it during the day, as soon as the sun goes down I'll be wrapped in a fetal position trying not to think about what I read. =/

Out of curiosity, what did you ask it to do?

Out of curiosity, what did you ask it to do?

Well, I made it when I was pretty much a n00b in high school, so feel free to laugh at what I told it to do :b

Well, I made a voodoo doll of my friend with her permission- after all, you can will good things upon a person with it. She was currently just SOINLOVE with this guy from her home in Germany, but she can't seem to find him online or anything to keep talking to him. I told the doll to find a way for her to be able to communicate with the boy, and about a day or two later, she came to me excited that she found him online and they've been chatting it up, she's so in love with him, yadda yadda.

After a little while of just letting it be, we all got in a huge argument over something or another, some stupid crap, and I got pissed and went home to tell the doll to have her boyfriend dump her in the most horrible way ever. Again, just a couple of days later and she was crying to someone about how that guy was such a jerk and omgz never gonna talk to him ever again.

....But she was one of my best friends, I got tired of trying to avoid her for a little while, so I asked the doll to let her forgive me and we can be on our happy ways. It was just the next day that she seemed to not really even remember what happened to make her angry at me and we were just fine.

....the last one can probably be chalked up to a bit of time having passed, but I don't think the guy was much coincidence considering she had told me she had spent months trying to find him before then. -shrug- Perhaps I'm just wanting to believe it to begin with, but I do.

That stuff happens because that's part of the mythology - demons and "evil" entities don't like priests, and they supposedly react to certain objects or rituals. But the only purpose of those shows are to entertain so that you will keep watching. They don't depict events as they actually happen, they sensationalize them.

I'm curious how you can claim to know this. Human souls can't wander the earth, but demons can take the form of our dead loved ones to scare us? Why can one thing be true, but not the other? There is the same amount of evidence for both. That is, none.

Just to think that demons and ghosts are scared of priests just cause their supposed to just doesn't fit right with me. There has to be a reason for them being scared of priests.

And how I think that humans can't be souls is like if we did come back then we could tell everyone not to this or that and tell each other how we died then there would be a lot of un-answered questions answered. And I believe that demons can shape-shift, that's why I think they can take the form of people. They mess with our psyche.

Well, I made it when I was pretty much a n00b in high school, so feel free to laugh at what I told it to do :b

(snippet about voodoo doll)

Interesting. If I were you I would attempt a few more experiments on it before throwing it away, but in hindsight having that sort of power must've been terrifying for you.

And I believe that demons can shape-shift, that's why I think they can take the form of people. They mess with our psyche.

Ironically, Rri said the same thing to me, but he didn't use the term "demons". Also, they weren't physical.

I believe we actually have a vodouisaint (and I probably spelled that completely wrong) who sometimes happens through the Religion thread. I think it's OmegaLily, if you have any questions about the actual faith, rather than the hollywoodized version.

Yeah, I make a point not to read any of the "DO THIS TO SUMMON [X]" sorts of things, because I know that while I'll be perfectly cool with it during the day, as soon as the sun goes down I'll be wrapped in a fetal position trying not to think about what I read. =/

I second.

I'm kind of scared of that stuff too, not because I'm a scaredy-cat, it's a combination of fear of the unknown and I'm afraid of things that are more capable than humans. Something that floats around and can pass through walls... I don't believe in it, but it still freaks me out.

Okay, well. Hmmm.

When I first moved into this house 10 years ago, I bought it after it had sat vacant for 2 years. The previous owner had lived her whole life here and this is where her life ended.

The first six months, when either my daughter or I would walk towards a bedroom door, the door would slam before we got near it. I told my daughter that it was a vaccum caused by open windows, or poorly hung doors not being evenly straight.

It got worse when we painted, remodeled, or changed things in any way.

My daughter got so upset over what was happening, that she wanted to move and live with her father.

To appease her, I held her hand and stated loudly, "Miss Mae, this is our home now! I promise to love it and care for it as well as you did! But this is our time, your time is past. You may stay and watch over us, but this is our home!"

I felt pretty silly and was glad there was no witnesses to my behavior.

Two days later, my daughter found a very old leather key ring fob about 15 feet from the front door out in the yard. It had a key to the house on it, and stamped in the leather was the word "MAE" with a daisy above it.

The doors have never slammed since, windows open, or windows closed.

So now when I make changes in the house, I always ask Miss Mae if she approves.

biggrin.gif

I don't know if that classifies as paranormal, but it definitely was quite unexplainable.

Once I was sitting down, and I had a glass of tea. I was just watching TV, and I put my tea on the table. It suddenly flew onto the floor. It didn't just fall. It flew. I believe in ghosts. Also, my advisory was playing this video in advisory about a haunted house. I'll try and findi it.

Me and my cousin where screwing around with her camera and we took some pictures of the fireflies outside. But the, when we looked at the pictures one of the fireflies wasn't a firefly, it was a fary! It was a small person with wing surrounded by a ball of light. It was wierd.

Just to think that demons and ghosts are scared of priests just cause their supposed to just doesn't fit right with me. There has to be a reason for them being scared of priests.

And how I think that humans can't be souls is like if we did come back then we could tell everyone not to this or that and tell each other how we died then there would be a lot of un-answered questions answered. And I believe that demons can shape-shift, that's why I think they can take the form of people. They mess with our psyche.

maybe he/she was touched when they was serving in thier church by the pastor unsure.gif

I'm not quite sure how *I* managed it. I was lucky and managed to find someone who had the same love of creating characters as I did, to the extent of having them in your head and commenting on everything you do.

Originally Rri was based off of a video game character from a game we were fond of - so we already had expectations for how he would respond to certain situations. The fact that he didn't always respond as we expected wasn't a concern for us.

I think the main reasons he became tulpa were; a). our pseudobelief in his/her/its existence, and b ). the amount of time we spent either talking to Rri, or listening to him.

This is pretty much a normal lunch period conversation:

We've accumulated so many different Skype/Facebook conversations about him/past/capabilities/everything else that we could probably write a book on him, at this point.

If you can manage to find someone that does this sort of thing in their head, then go for it. It's always better with two people -- then you actually have someone to tell his stories to, and have them be interested in it. Elsewise it gets pretty lonely.

I would suggest, instead of taking one of your own characters, using a favorite video game character or some such and building up from there. When I tried to use my characters, they fell silent and waited for me to interact with them. I was the creator, in those cases, and so I was expected to teach them everything while they stayed silent and did nothing.

So, yeah. Video game characters, as you already have set-in-stone notions of who they are and such, and then watch them build themselves up from there. Rri's only remaining likeness to his base character are his appearance and his (casual) name.

/off-topic

Thanks. Now I have a perfect character to build off of then. >:]

/offtopic

I don't think i've ever encountered with a ghost or something before, but I do think they are real. I never tried he voodoo thing, though. I'm kinda scared of what it does.

Oh i so do beleave in ghosts. The scare me so much. ANd i am so stupid i make up all the ways someone could have died in my room. The MOST STUPID thing i do to forget about is saying in my head that It's never happened to me before so it won't happen to me now. I know it's stupid. I doubt i have ghosts in my house. But everything weird that happens i blame it on them. Like if my paper falls off my desk, i go "OH censorkip.gif THE GHOST!!!!" xd.png Anayway, i am a total beleaver, and i really do wish i had a ghost in my house. But not the type that swore revenge before he died or something because that type would like totaly kill me. I want one that would like just listen when i talk. :3

I don't believe in ghosts mainly because I've experienced first hand how easy it is to mistake the normal for the paranormal.

My experience: I was driving to see my aunt in oklahoma, but I drove more slowly than I had hoped, so I had to stop at a hotel overnight. It was about 2:00 AM when the clerk handed me the key to my room. When I fit the key into the slot, I swung the door open to find that someone already had been given the room; thier stuff was all over the bed. As I stood there, feeling embarrased and suprised, the room's occupant called out from the bathroom: "Who's there?" To avoid embarasment, I quickly sprinted down the hall and hid beside the ice machine until I heard the door close again. Then I went down and complained about the mix-up to the guy behind the desk. I got a new key and retired to my room for the night.

The next morning, I went down to eat my continental breakfast, and I overheard the guy at the next table telling his buddy about his "paranormal" experience the night before. Apparently his door had opened of its own accord, and when he went to answer it, no one was there. He chalked this up to the work of spirits, while I sat choking with laughter at the other table.

So, in my experience, people are too willing to believe in paranormal activity, rather than understand that there might be a perfectly reasonable (albeit unusual) explaination.

when i lived in Louisiana i'm sure i felt something walk through me. and where i live currently both me and my sister have had experiences. with in the first year we moved in i heard someone run up the stairs when everyone else was asleep. i was reading a book and i felt something watching me, i glanced up repeatedly and nothing was there. but i knew something was standing in my door staring at me.

it's truly a wiggy feeling. I told it it could haunt here as long as it didn't bother me and started doing it's thing after i was asleep. and if it wanted to haunt somebody to go bother my sister. I stopped noticing things after that, though things tend to feel wiggy from 12-3 am, my sister on the other hand, has recounted several incidences since i told it to leave me alone.

my sister and i are in agreement over it's preferred room, it seems to favor the room across from me next door to my sister. we both get oogie vibes from that room late at night.

Warning, this post comes from the believes-in-this stuff POV, though I'm somewhat neutral/lean slightly toward believing in the possibility:

Yes and no. They're dead and gone, in another dimension or reality if they still exist at all, but one possibly/sometimes close enough to our own that they can partially cross over--just enough to see a glowy image or have one of our other senses partially affected. They cannot interact with us like a living person in the room.

However, depending on how the senses are affected by the presence, a message could be passed along. A violent spirit from someone murdered in the house could damage things without apparent reason, and even physically attack the people living there. Because that's the only way they can tell people to get out.

A more benign ghost, like the one that supposedly follows my best friend around, would take a gentler method. Like a while ago when she was driving too fast around blind corners in the middle of a moonless night, she saw the form of a small boy run in front of her car and disappear. She took that as a warning to drive more carefully because the ghost that supposedly follows her died as a child in a similar way.

Of course, the logical part of me would stick out its tongue at the latter one as her own psyche being funny and telling her to slow down on her own, only I saw it too.

who wants a ghost in their house anyway?

Plenty of people. Assuming it were possible, having a ghost in their house would gain someone a lot of attention, it would be interesting and would make for a great story, it would provide research and money making opportunities, etc. No matter how strange, upsetting, dangerous or improbable something is, there's always people out there who are willing to experience it.

That's like going on the /x/ board of 4chan and complaining that they're talking about ghosts. Well, yeah, of course they are, it's the freaking Paranormal board.

That happens pretty frequently actually. :\

I wish I believed in this stuff so that I could make and use one of those dolls. Hell, I might do it anyway. There's someone I'd really love to exact punishment on and no matter how farfetched this is I'd enjoy trying it even if there's just coincidental unrelated consequences for that person. Going to have to do some research for this one, ahaha...

Well I know little about religious matters, but as I understand it demons are typically associated with evil and sin and priests are holy individuals, which are concepts that don't mix well with each other. If priests supposedly have the ability to banish demons from those they are possessing, it makes sense that demons would dislike them. But again, it's just part of the mythology, that doesn't mean it has any basis in logic.

As for the second part, maybe souls aren't capable of communicating that information to us, like dragon_mando said. The fact that they don't go around telling us the meaning of life is a pretty weak reason to discard the possibility of their existence, considering you believe in shapeshifting demons without having any apparent evidence to support that theory either. I don't know, maybe you can explain your beliefs more, or I'm just not getting it or something. I am really tired so maybe I'm just missing something.

Me and my cousin where screwing around with her camera and we took some pictures of the fireflies outside. But the, when we looked at the pictures one of the fireflies wasn't a firefly, it was a fary! It was a small person with wing surrounded by a ball of light. It was wierd.

Post the picture.

user posted image

I believe in spirits that are trapped on this earth and can not get to the next life.

Creepy thing happened to my yesterday.. I live at school so we have set eating times. I was waiting for my friends to finish eating and ran off really quick to use the restroom. I walked into the restroom and there is no other human in there... I go into a stall and the one next to me flushes, the sink starts, you hear the soap pump pump.. and then the drier turns on... Then the door to the bathroom opened and shut.. and it was really weird because i have yet closed the door on the stall and i seen no one there...

It was creepy and a little scary.