Kokuchan

Ghosts and Other Paranormalities

A lot of strange things happen in my house. We've seen mysterious shadow figures, shadow animals, heard chains once, seen strange lights that mysteriously disappeared, heard our name called when no one was there, items disappearing without a trace. Not sure if that means the place has spirits or if we're just nuts.

I really like the show Ghost Adventures, it's my favorite real life paranormal show c:

I like stories about the supernatural and paranormalities; I have had some strange experiences myself and I find it very intriguing (I love scary stories, fictional or not), but as a general rule I see them as explainable either by natural occurrences or the human mind just doing something weird again.

Like, I've had two instances when I've woken up in the middle of the night, unable to move my body, and strange things going on around in the room.

The first time I woke up, couldn't move, and distinctly heard breathing from somewhere in the room. I remember that my line of thinking went something like:

"There's someone in here with me. But where? How did they get in? That can't be. I know I locked the door and closed the windows as always. They couldn't have been hiding in the bathroom because this is a small place and I would definitely have noticed. There can't be anyone in here with me. This breathing sound can only be my own breathing. It must be so that I haven't woken up properly yet, so my brain is experiencing some weird disassociation thing, or something. It's only my own breathing I'm hearing."

Then I fell back asleep like normal.

The second time was scarier.

I woke up in the middle of the night, couldn't move my body, it was difficult to breathe and I saw dark shapes moving above my face along with a strong feeling that there was something very frightening there.

Thing is, earlier the day before I had felt sick and thought I was coming down with a cold or something, so when this happened I didn't think it was something supernatural.

Instead I almost panicked thinking that this was not a mere cold but like a strong allergic reaction to something and that I was now hallucinating and about to pass out from lack or air. It got scary, not because of the "supernatural" thing I was seeing, but because I had time to think about things like:

"I could be dying right now. There's nobody nearby who can help me. I could lie here for days before anyone gets the idea to come check in on me."

I think that's also what motivated me to try to help myself by calming down, breathing in and out and trying to not panic. I can't recall much, but I woke up next day just fine, so I guess I managed to help myself in the end.

Later I found out about sleep paralysis and figured it's probably something like that I've experienced.

So as you can see I tend to try to explain things as something normal instead of jumping the ghost/demon train.

A funnier story I've got happened to a friend.

She had the worst of luck every time we were out snowmobiling and passing through a specific area by a mountain. She'd always get stuck in the ice, or have some other incident with her snowmobile suddenly malfunctioning, always when we try to pass that specific area. So there's got to be something there that has something against her, so she began giving little sacrifices to the mountain every time we are about to pass that area. She'd give a shot of alcohol and and a piece of something edible, while loudly singing out the name of the mountain.

Curiously, she's never had any issues passing through that area since then.

Obviously this can be explained by her learning from the previous mistakes when she got stuck or the snowmobile malfunctioned, but it's a fun little tradition that feels kinda like we're honoring the old beliefs of our ancestors. So we just continue doing it.

These are just a few of my stories.

Supposedly we've got a few "blood muters" in the family ancestry and there were a few stories about my grandmother being able to know about things before they happened, and supposedly she could see some things that normal people can't.

I tend to dislike shows about ghost hunting and the paranormal though. They're always forced and trying to tell the viewer they're seeing things that clearly aren't there.

Edited by Ripan

For me, paranormalities are interesting and entertaining. I take pleasure in listening to and watching stories about the paranormal, especially when the stories claim to be real. However, I do not have paranormal experiences myself. I had a few strange and unexplainable experiences, but they were simple and easy to just shrug off. They were hardly paranormal but others thought otherwise. Some of the people who know me say that I am just quite insensitive and skeptical.