TJ09

2010-08-18 - Site Downtime

So, as many people probably noticed, the site went down. I contacted my host, and the response was rather interesting:

The Tech checked the connectivity of the patch cable between your server and the switch. After that it worked again. So I think it was not snapped it all the way and was getting loss do the vibrations.

So the vibrations due to the fans and other moving parts of various servers in the rack slowly caused the network cable to fall out. Murphy's Law really does mean anything.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything is up again. <3

Edit: Woot! First post! xd.png

Edited by ThatDeadGirl

Could this also possibly explain the perceived lapse between the server's reported egg drop times and our reported drop times?

Vibrations?

Servers do have moving parts.

In particular, there are some pretty hardcore fans needed to keep everything cool.

Thanks TJ for fixing the server! Now i can save my eggs before they die(which i won't let happen)!

Thanks for the info, TJ. Hope next time you get a mail written in proper English laugh.gif

Ha! That's a rather hilarious thing to go wrong, actually. I'm so glad it was such a simple fix, with no data loss involved!

Thanks for the update TJ.

Yeah, I think Murphy's Law really does mean everything. >_< Reminds me of when I was in College, and half the town lost power because a squirrel crawled into one of the main electrical boxes of the town. That was during finals too, so yeah, it was definitely a Murphy's Law Moment.

That's just funny in its own way that a cable caused all our problems. Well, at least it wasn't the Datamonster again!

Edited by Eyota

Methinks the next story is going to be an attack by a particularly vicious Oompa Loompa. "/

Edit: I was wondering what was going on. xd.png Good to know.

Edited by omgitskairi

i was wondering way the Cave had so little eggs coming in. now their's a whole bunch of 'em today. Glad to have that fixed xd.png

tongue.gif The Information Highway is still a dirt road--- bumps and all tongue.giflaugh.gif

At least this host came up with plausible explanation, unlike the late but not lamented forum host!

Edited by dragonpuck