TJ09

2010-08-18 - Site Downtime

The Forum was down? I must not have been on during that time. trololol vibrations.

It's like one of those huge fans that move allot when the blades turn, that if you put it on a high place it'll eventually fall.

Silly Lagmonster, you'll never defeat us!   rolleyes.gif

I'm glad to hear the problem's resolved, TJ.

I think you mean server monster. biggrin.gif

Anyways, thanks for letting us know about those vibrations, TJ.

*sings that old song good vibrations... although in this case they were bad. :B*

Edited by Kandycat

Now this brings back a memory... or two xd.png

Thanks for the heads up TJ!!!

Oh man, that's a perfect explanation for the come-and-go nature of a lot of the lag. Any time the fans switched on, the cable started vibrating just enough... wow. I'm glad it's secure now; hopefully we'll have a lot less lag now!

....sounds like someone needs to ducktape the cable in place. or try a healthy dose of superglue. Must have happened while I was asleep or something but good to know the problem is fixed even if I missed all the excitement.

Wow. Vibrations kill.

The tech checked it and then it worked again (like magic), so they think it was vibrations (bad vibes!) doing the deed? xd.png Okay, I know it's actually a reasonable explanation for what was occurring, but maybe try wording it a little better next time.

Either way, good to know what happened.

So, as many people probably noticed, the site went down. I contacted my host, and the response was rather interesting:

So the vibrations due to the fans and other moving parts of various servers in the rack slowly caused the network cable to fall out. Murphy's Law really does mean anything.

Amazing how a small thing can cause a big reaction. I was wonderin' what was going on with the site.

The cable might need some super glue, lol.

Thank you for the update.