MessengerDragon

Make a non-javascript fertility page

Overall, dragon cave is very user-friendly to those who don't use javascript. Most functions that are required to play the game can be used without having to enable javascript. The breed-specific actions teleport, influence, incubate, earthquake, expunge, bite, summon (and, until recently, fertility,) all function without javascript. However, now if you have javascript disabled, you are unable to use fertility. At all. Even with javascript turned on many people with exceptionally slow internet have problems, with the page never getting past the 'flying dragon image' stage.

So, I have a suggestion. How about giving users the option of a javascript-free fertility?

I support this. I don't mind the javascript/no javascript thing, but the new Fertility page just seems really clunky and clumsy and much slower than the old version (to me, anyway). :/ It's really put me off using fertility, honestly.

It is very clunky as it is, and takes forever to load, but I've found it loads much faster if I turn javascript ON and page styles OFF while it loads my 4700+ breedable dragons.

I then use the filter to bring up the smaller group, and if there is more than one, I turn page style back ON to finish the selection.

I'm doing this in Firefox, so it may work differently with other browsers.

I would really support an easier way to use it!

What the heck??? blink.gif I don't use fertility a lot so I guess I never noticed. On my browser it pretty much loaded instantly, but I don't really like the setup for choosing a dragon. It just seems very difficult to find the needed dragon.

(I love the new fertility.) I'd prefer a way to custom-not-legacy sort on mobile over this. I'm not opposed, but I don't think it's particularly a priority.

Overall, dragon cave is very user-friendly to those who don't use javascript. Most functions that are required to play the game can be used without having to enable javascript. The breed-specific actions teleport, influence, incubate, earthquake, expunge, bite, summon (and, until recently, fertility,) all function without javascript. However, now if you have javascript disabled, you are unable to use fertility. At all. Even with javascript turned on many people with exceptionally slow internet have problems, with the page never getting past the 'flying dragon image' stage.

So, I have a suggestion. How about giving users the option of a javascript-free fertility?

Yes, please! I'd totally love a JavaScript-less version of fertility. Because I really like using the cave without. (Abandoning, for example, works with one less click since you don't have to click on the field with your password. And if you miss that stupid field by a pixel, you actually have to type it in... Not to mention that the cave loads faster without JS enabled.)

Edited by olympe

It could be in the <noscript> portion of the page, so it would only take effect if javascript is off.

...Oh wow, I guess I haven't used Fertility since it changed. I use NoScript, and I don't even know what scripts to allow to let it work... I guess I'm not going to use Fertility, then. Not like I really used it a lot before, though.

i loathe the new fertility and very much support anything to change it

Yes indeed . I hate it with a passion and I beg tj to offer the page as it used to be. It is I think the only page that will not work at all with Javascript off.

Just revert it to what it used to be. I simply fail to see how the current Javascript-based fertility page is any better than the previous one.

The new page doesn't bother me. It loads okay and since I usually know the names of the dragons I want to breed it is actually quicker for me than waiting for a whole page of dragons to load.

Even so, I think this option should be made available to those who find the new page unusable.

The new page doesn't bother me. It loads okay and since I usually know the names of the dragons I want to breed it is actually quicker for me than waiting for a whole page of dragons to load.

Even so, I think this option should be made available to those who find the new page unusable.

But it takes ages of flapping wings before you get the chance to enter a name sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

At the very least a non-javascript alternative for those who dislike/can't use it should be added, if only as an account settings option. It's clearly causing major problems even only accounting for slower connections.

But it takes ages of flapping wings before you get the chance to enter a name sad.gif

It actually loads faster for me than the old page huh.gif, but I understand that you and others have had different results from it, which is why I think there should be an option that works better for the people who have a problem with it. smile.gif

I tend to prefer lists (the way breed page looks for example) over tons of pics.

What if dragons that get fertilized most, showed up at the top of the purples page, the way breeding shows up. Would that be useful to anyone else?

I tend to prefer lists (the way breed page looks for example) over tons of pics.

What if dragons that get fertilized most, showed up at the top of the purples page, the way breeding shows up. Would that be useful to anyone else?

Not really, because it would still take forever to load before it gets to that point.

I liked the old one that used something similar to the alternate custom sort format- and coincidentally that's the sort that loads fastest for me.

My internet just isn't that great, and the way the fertility page is now really doesn't help that any. Either an option to use the old one, or an option to just put in the code of the dragon you're trying to use it on without it having to load all the dragons first would be better.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Not really, because it would still take forever to load before it gets to that point.

I liked the old one that used something similar to the alternate custom sort format- and coincidentally that's the sort that loads fastest for me.

My internet just isn't that great, and the way the fertility page is now really doesn't help that any. Either an option to use the old one, or an option to just put in the code of the dragon you're trying to use it on without it having to load all the dragons first would be better.

To be fair, there was a bit more to my idea, but I was trying not to derail the thread, because the rest of that thought would have devolved into needing a new thread. I'm lazy, and dont want to maintain one right now..

(The rest of the thought process would have been an option to have breed, and pages that load like it only show the most chosen dragons, and nothing else. If you only use fertilize on three dragons, only those three would show up. If you only ever breed to those dragons, only those ones would show up. Something that can be turned on and off, depending on needs...)

At the very least a non-javascript alternative for those who dislike/can't use it should be added, if only as an account settings option. It's clearly causing major problems even only accounting for slower connections.

Thing is, I'm currently on my uncle's nice fast fibre connection, so I should have *no* complaints about connection speed, and yet the fertility page is *still* very slow to load when I do use it. :/

It is very clunky as it is, and takes forever to load, but I've found it loads much faster if I turn javascript ON and page styles OFF while it loads my 4700+ breedable dragons.

I then use the filter to bring up the smaller group, and if there is more than one, I turn page style back ON to finish the selection.

I'm doing this in Firefox, so it may work differently with other browsers.

I would really support an easier way to use it!

Has anyone else tried what I suggested here?

It seems to make a difference for me.

It could be in the <noscript> portion of the page, so it would only take effect if javascript is off.

Seems like many people would like to change their view totally, script or <noscript>...

Just revert it to what it used to be. I simply fail to see how the current Javascript-based fertility page is any better than the previous one.

Its redeeming feature is being able to search through both names and codes. Very useful for one whose names and codes overlap unpredictably. The flying dragon is pretty, by the way, whoever drew it thumbs_up.png

It probably is the only page in DC that fails working completely without JS (the other JS features I know of are filtering and the tick/cross when naming, both of which are handy, but not necessary... Oh, and the forum's smiley popup window). It is also the page most likely to fail loading when the Internet is on the fry - and when styles, JS and images are turned off to compensate for the rain's tendency to wash away my TCP packets... well, then it won't work at all.

I kind of like the flappy wings and the dual-search function, but I also desperately need an alternative for the wet months of the year - and I'm not the only one. The ability to switch the view would be very[/i] nice.

dragongrrl, when I turn styles off, at first I get neither the list nor the selector box - and when both load, it matters not whether the style was there or not, it's an "It lives!" moment regardless. Of course, I don't have 5k dragons and today seems to be a good network connection day... I'll try it next time I run into trouble wink.gif

Edited by Snowwall

Bumped after another frustrating session with Mr Flappy. WHY can we not have the old way back as an option, TJ ? Or ANYTHING without javascript ?

I almost never use fertility any more, as I just don't' have time to suffer through all that. The alt custom sort needs java - but it is WAY faster than fertility. Is there no way we can opt to run fertility like that ?

I haven't had any problems yet myself. But my net is prone to sudden drops in power. I think I've mostly hit good luck because with only two purples, I don't exactly use fertility often.

But if people are having so much trouble, going back to the old version, or even just making the old version an option might be a good idea

Actually, I've just tried Fertility since I haven't bothered with it for ages and found it originally to be MUCH too big a pain to be worth-while; the cool new set-up (probably been like that since last year, but 'new' for me, lol) worked great for me - an instant response I wish I could get in the Cave! No sign of flappy dragons at all.

No idea why it's fine for some and not others... but if people are having issues with it, then a fix is obviously needed. But if it's going to work this well, I'll probably start using it on at least some dragons - at least until the next fix switches the problems around. laugh.gif

Actually, I've just tried Fertility since I haven't bothered with it for ages and found it originally to be MUCH too big a pain to be worth-while; the cool new set-up (probably been like that since last year, but 'new' for me, lol) worked great for me - an instant response I wish I could get in the Cave! No sign of flappy dragons at all.

No idea why it's fine for some and not others... but if people are having issues with it, then a fix is obviously needed. But if it's going to work this well, I'll probably start using it on at least some dragons - at least until the next fix switches the problems around. laugh.gif

At school it loads within three seconds. At home, depending on the day, it can take a minute, many minutes, or not load at all.

But I haven't really been studying how well it works too much, since I've all but quit using fertility.

I also don't see why, if the ability to search through the names/codes of all dragons is the only bonus of the new fertility, the old version can't be available for those who want it. It could be an option in account settings, with the new one being default if that's what TJ prefers.

But seeing how long it loads, I'd rather use CTRL+F on the old one.