angelicdragonpuppy

Change how refusals work

Refusals are not a pleasant part of DC. While many cause little more than temporary grief and eye rolling, when it comes down to elaborate or hard-to-find lineages, they can be anything but amusing. Case in point: if the parents of this dragon had refused each other, I probably would never have obtained replacements. As lineages are a vital part of the game to many players, such permanent refusals add a lot more frustration to the game than fun.

That being said, I imagine the reason refusals were instated in the first place was to provide something a bit "different" as far as breeding possibilities go and give our dragons a bit more personality. Accordingly, rather than suggesting refusals completely vanish, I would like to see one of the following two things happen:

1) All refusals are reset on Valentine's Day. Most of our Valentine dragons are said to be capable of restoring lost love, or at least rumored to be able to do so; perhaps during that time love truly is in the air and everyone's willing to take a second shot.

2) Rather than permanently preventing breeding between the two dragons, the pair simply can't try to breed together for a long period of time--perhaps two weeks to a month. In the case of the former, perhaps they have a two week breeding cool down period, which would still make refusals quite unpleasant while not making them as potentially agonizing as they can be now. The logic can be that the first meeting went terribly wrong, but perhaps not so wrong that the dragons aren't willing to give it another shot quite a long time down the line. After all, a week in real time is the equivalent of years of DC time, so imagine how much time a month would give them to mull things over.

Some might argue that two dragons just really hate each other and would never breed together, but as we can regularly toss our dragon's offspring into the wilderness to die, stab beasts the size of mountains to death, and command the loyalties of hundreds of dragons at once, I think it's fair to say that game logic already doesn't always follow logic logic. If stronger justification is needed, perhaps as the dragon's owners you were persuasive enough to get them to get along anyway.

I am suggesting this as a possible alternative to the suggested Harmonize BSA. I have great support for that idea as well, yet it seems to be slowly leaning towards the "refusals can still potentially be permanent" route, which I feel isn't ideal.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Yes yes absolutely yes! I can't even begin to explain the pain i've had with refusals, especially with my rares!

I'll be stalking, add some suggestions if i can come up with any

Yes! My bronze shimmer + CB purple refusal pissed me off so much. I was trying to help a friend. That really pissed me off, and as you can see from my sig, I had to spend two days looking for a new CB purple.

I agree with the valentines day thing.

Yes, I would love it if refusals were not permanent! Of your two suggestions, I'd prefer the extra-long cooldown, but either one would work.

Yes, I would love it if refusals were not permanent! Of your two suggestions, I'd prefer the extra-long cooldown, but either one would work.

Same here -- I hope this gets implemented, would be a reason to come back. OS many refusals in so few days I just blanched and left. @_@

I like the Valentine's Day variant; it just "feels" right to me, I guess? But a longer (3-4 weeks, maybe?) cooldown for the two to breed with each other again would also be fine.

Mostly, I just want to not be stuck trying to look for a replacement for, say, a CB rare or specific Holiday mate (refusals being removed for their season is all fine and dandy, but I'd like to be able to breed mates for people who need the other dragon in the lineage).

I like this idea!

Regarding the details, I think refusals should smart longer than just one to three breeding opportunities (= two weeks to a month since the refusal) and not affect the breeding cooldown of the individual dragons. Conversely, a year (e.g. as would be max in the case of 'reset on Valentine's Day') seems rather extreme to me. Maybe two or three months (seven to eleven breeding opportunities lost)?

I'm not picky, though - I'd be happy with any variant, really, the above is just me thinking out loud smile.gif

Oh, I really support this. I like to think of the dragons as people when it comes to feelings: Some people leave each other for one reason or another, and the later down the road they reunite and connect like the did in the first place. Why can't dragons be like that also?

Edited by xeyla

I actually like this idea. What if you don't have an Imperial Fleshcrowne? This would work.

I think I favor this idea over the Fleshcrowne one. I like Harmonize but the chance of refusal is still potentially bumming. I had my only 3rd gen bronze tinsel refuse my only CB male marrow a little less than 3 years ago, and the refusal still stings.

That being said, I'm in favor of the Valentine's Day reset. It's more inconvenient than the longer cooldown option, but hey, refusals are permanent right now. Like Guillotine, it just feels 'right'.

I'm not sure I like the idea of refusals being completely impermanent. There are some lineages I can easily rebreed mates for and I don't want those previously refused mates showing up near the top of my breeding list again. o.o Perhaps if you could choose on VDay which refusals were reset? Maybe based on how many VDay dragons you have?

I'm not sure I like the idea of refusals being completely impermanent. There are some lineages I can easily rebreed mates for and I don't want those previously refused mates showing up near the top of my breeding list again. o.o Perhaps if you could choose on VDay which refusals were reset? Maybe based on how many VDay dragons you have?

If it was something you wanted to breed a dragon to originally, why would them reappearing on the top of the list be a bad thing--especially when pretty much any other dragon you bred them to would appear higher on the list (since refusals can't produce eggs unless they were also Holidays bred during their season)?

I'm not opposed to having the amount of reversed refusals done in such a way, I just don't understand your logic.

I'd rather have it linked to Valentine's Day somehow. And I'd want to choose the dragons, not have it happen for everything that was ever refused.

I would rather it be automatic. I don't know about you, but I have over 3500 dragons. I don't even remember who has refused before, or what priority they would be(if it were a limited number).

If it was something you wanted to breed a dragon to originally, why would them reappearing on the top of the list be a bad thing--especially when pretty much any other dragon you bred them to would appear higher on the list (since refusals can't produce eggs unless they were also Holidays bred during their season)?

I'm not opposed to having the amount of reversed refusals done in such a way, I just don't understand your logic.

If I've already rebred a mate, I can see myself getting easily confused and clicking the wrong mate. Even now when I breed to the wrong mate, since it was the first one I bred, the name/code is often stuck in my mind, and I have to double check who I'm breeding to every time. If I've already rebred a mate, I probably am not to worried about switching it up.

This dragon for example: http://dragcave.net/progeny/mR9Yx

I bred THREE dragons before I got one that didn't refuse the intended mate. The third one that didn't refuse even has a hard time breeding - if I forget fertility, it's not likely I'll get an egg. I can't imagine any of the first two mates will reset and breed any better - I think the lineage is just intended to be difficult. rolleyes.gif But since I have a mate that works, there's no need for those refused mates to show up at the top now. If I want to switch up mates, I'll breed some more and see if they're any luckier.

I've also misbred before and fortunately had those dragons reject instead of breeding an egg I didn't mean to. I'm happy with those being rejected and don't need them to be viable mates again. =o

It helps me keep track of rejected mates stay at the bottom. Sure, there are some I might want to try again, but I'd rather be able to select those instead of everything resetting. o3o

At this point I'm willing to take just about any suggestion, no matter how long before the refused pairing can be attempted again, or even if the number of redone pairings is very limited. I too have a handful of dragons that have refused a mate that is impossible to replace, CB holidays, 2nd gen thuweds, etc. I would love ANY opportunity to reverse those.

I've also misbred before and fortunately had those dragons reject instead of breeding an egg I didn't mean to. I'm happy with those being rejected and don't need them to be viable mates again. =o

It helps me keep track of rejected mates stay at the bottom. Sure, there are some I might want to try again, but I'd rather be able to select those instead of everything resetting. o3o

This is why I don't want auto. If it's an unlimited number on V-day, that would be more awesome. I'm sure it would just pull up whatever dragons have refused before and you can choose which pairings you want to fix. But no autos please.

You do remember that they are only shown in your breeding list if they have bred an egg before. A no interest or no egg would not show up at the top of the list, so a dragon that refused before would have had no egg produced so wouldn't show up at the top.

Perhaps an undo all button could be included? Because this sounds like it could really be a pain to those who DO just want to undo all of them.

Edited by Nectaris

You do remember that they are only shown in your breeding list if they have bred an egg before. A no interest or no egg would not show up at the top of the list, so a dragon that refused before would have had no egg produced so wouldn't show up at the top.

Er, yes it does move up the list with the other mates. o.o [Source since I dun wanna go through my dragons to find an example]

I did realize halfway through my second post that if a refusal was reset it might completely reset the breeding (like they haven't bred before) so it would show up how your scroll sorted, which is why my language changes. If it's not towards the top of the list, it matters less to me - that does make a difference.

Random input, but the reason I wouldn't want all of them to be reset is because sometimes I like making up stories for dragons that reject each other. Take away the rejection, take away the story. I wouldn't want to accidentally breed them either. (I don't really name things that often, and I don't always breed to the same mate so my breeding list is fairly random)

I'm sure it would just pull up whatever dragons have refused before and you can choose which pairings you want to fix.

To clarify, I just mean pull up a page with a list of all your pairings that have refused before. (Not directing this at anyone, I just realized how vague I was)

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Er, yes it does move up the list with the other mates. o.o [Source since I dun wanna go through my dragons to find an example]

I did realize halfway through my second post that if a refusal was reset it might completely reset the breeding (like they haven't bred before) so it would show up how your scroll sorted, which is why my language changes. If it's not towards the top of the list, it matters less to me - that does make a difference.

It must not be working properly then, because I still have to search for them if they don't produce an egg.

I completely understand why you want to undo only a few, and I think that should be allowed. I just would like an OPTION, in addition in doing them individually, to undo them all, because I don't care why they refused, and I don't want to click through every single pair to figure out which ones I would actually want to try again, or have to click through them all, likely performing multiple steps each time. Because I don't care, I just want an easy way to undo them all.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I want it to be time based, or for it to cover the entire time Valentines breed. Valentines is a single day, and if for whatever reason you missed it, that would mean that you would have to wait an entire year to undo a refusal.

Edited by Nectaris

Perhaps it could be a BSA that's active only when Valentines eggs can be bred / are dropping? Could either be a "reverse all refusals" BSA or just remove one.

Perhaps it could be a BSA that's active only when Valentines eggs can be bred / are dropping? Could either be a "reverse all refusals" BSA or just remove one.

I think reverse one is the only possible way to go. But I prefer harmonise, myself.

Sounds like a good compromise to me!

It must not be working properly then, because I still have to search for them if they don't produce an egg.

Really? That's weird because I know for a lineage I tried three-ish weeks ago, they didn't produce any eggs the first time around, but mates were still at the top for me. o_O