DragonFriend

Wolf Quest

It was pretty good for being a lower budget, educational game, but it's sad that they ran out of funding. sad.gif

I've been waiting for some of the bugs to get fixed, (seems the pup parts were pretty buggy) so I never downloaded anything beyond the first game where you find a mate.

Here's the email I got back in December, since I'm on their mailing list.

The following is an e-mail sent to you by an administrator of

"wolfquest.org". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other

comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at

the following address:

admin@wolfquest.org

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As of today, it’s been five years since WolfQuest, episode 1 was released,

and wow, it’s been an amazing journey. Thanks to the National Science

Foundation, Best Buy, and other grants and donations, what started as an

idea for a free, basic educational wolf game has led to four WolfQuest game

releases and over 500,000 registered members worldwide. The WolfQuest Team

would like to thank you for your support over the last five years; it’s

been quite the experience for all of us.

Because of generous donations, store purchases, and forum ad revenue, we

are able to continue to keep all facets of the game and Community Forums

running much longer than expected. However, we no longer have grant

funding so this e-mail is to let you know of upcoming plans for WolfQuest.

WolfQuest Games: the current version of WolfQuest (Survival of the Pack)

will be available for download and gameplay for as long as we can afford

the server. We will eventually remove the multiplayer lexicon so only

phrased chat and no chat options are available, but we hope this phase

won’t take place for many months to come.

WolfQuest Store and Donations: the WolfQuest store will continue to remain

open with clearance sale prices and the current stock of inventory. Once

items sell out, they will not be replaced, and all proceeds will go to the

Minnesota Zoo. Because we will no longer be offering game updates, we have

also stopped accepting donations for WolfQuest. If you’d like to donate to

a worthwhile organization, we recommend looking into wolf and other

wildlife education and conservation organizations.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to log in to the

WolfQuest Community Forums (www.wolfquest.org/bb) and post on the

announcement or the Tips, Hints, and Help section there. This e-mail

address is not monitored. From the entire WolfQuest Team, thank you to

everyone who has played the game, participated in the forums, and otherwise

put in so much time and energy into this project- it’s been quite the

thrilling ride and we’re glad it can continue.

-The WolfQuest Team

I haven't played this game for some time, but I am sad to see its terminal departure. I'll have to download it on this computer and play the multiplayer while I can.

Aw, that's a shame. I haven't played WolfQuest for a long while now, but it was fun. I saw it coming, but still sad to see it go. :c

Edited by Switch

I love this game, but it gets dull rather quickly, even with all the new upgrades. I hope they add another section, like maybe trying to escape from a wild fire, or raise your second litter with the surviving pups.

The game is fun and thrilling, but it's just so limited, you soon can know where places are and once you complete it...you just start over.

I got the albino pup though and seen multi headed carcasses.

I did make a wolf from a rp, a beautiful red she-wolf named Fourleaf (called Leaf for short) with a small four leaf cover on her forehead...so sweet.

Aww man, I don't wanna see this go! D: I love WolfQuest! sad.gif Since this is a new computer and I don't know when their site will go down, I'm downloading it right now. I haven't played for a while, so I can't wait to see what updates they made! I think that this is honestly the best graphics game I've ever played. tongue.gif I remember the day I first found it. I think it was even before finding DC! Wow, over a year ago... I played it hundreds of times, turning off my screen when I ate because I was sure mom would yell at me if she saw it. I didn't mind and I thought it was kinda cool. And I'd laugh when I'd be at the first stage and have died lots of times and I'd just see a trail of dead mes. laugh.gif Love WQ and always will. smile.gif I'm terribly sad to see it go. If they would leave donations open, when I get lots of money, I'd have donated to them. Make them happy. Their graphics staff should work on some other games as well. For PS3 and such; then they'd get funds easier. I'd adore it if I could play WQ on my PS3! *hugs WQ* A fond farewell.

haven't played it in forever since the pups I had went all 'ghosty' and disappeared but still said they were dying... that little ordeal is on the first page... so obviously it's been a while xd.png

sad to see though that they're leaving... I did enjoy the game

Oh wow, from the screen shots, they've added quite a bit since the last time I played! I can't wait to go check it out! biggrin.gif

... I'm just... Mad. They're THIS hopeless. ANYONE would be willing to give money to them to help keep Wolfquest up! And now they're officially stating that it's over. How can they give up so easily? I'm blowing my head off. >:I

It isn't as simple as a few people donating a couple bucks. Even ten people donating $100 each wouldn't cover it. Games aren't cheap to make in the first place, let alone with all the detailed graphics, site hosting costs, and lots of other stuff to go along with it as well as paying all of the makers...

I was kinda upset the other day- I was taking my pups to the new area and I was trying to find a shallow area. The dad decides to start going in the deepest area with them. x_x So I restart and get all the pups across. I make them all stay and take one with me so I don't have to worry about drowning them and just suddenly in the middle of the plains it says the pup I'm carrying is drowning. O.o So I restart again, get them all across, and start the same thing as last time. I get one there and I go back for the others but... I can't pick them up, they won't follow, and dad won't get them. v_v

:C but I'll miss it. ( Except I don't play much) But when I do, my computer is all laggy so i have a hard time picking up/feeding pups.

... I'm just... Mad. They're THIS hopeless. ANYONE would be willing to give money to them to help keep Wolfquest up! And now they're officially stating that it's over. How can they give up so easily? I'm blowing my head off. >:I

They didn't give up easily. Like StarSea said, it costs a lot. The original grant from the National Science foundation was $508,253. With that AND money from the merchandise store AND plain old donations from regular people like us AND bigger donations from things such as the Best Buy Children's Foundation, they were at least able to make what they did. They were able to fund the game itself, pay the programmers and artists and composer and whatnot, they had an admin/coordinator paid position, kept the website and servers running, etc. for five and a half years. It's lasted longer than they'd expected, and it reached far more people than they'd ever hoped. Unfortunately, as the entire thing is run on donations, and isn't all that cheap, it was inevitable that this was going to happen eventually, but at least it had an amazing run while it lasted.

I feel especially sad for Cana, the coordinator, who is losing the job she's had for the last couple years. I had posted a goodbye message on the thread where she announced the whole thing, remembering some good memories, and she sent me a personal private message back; it was really nice.

I've seen sites close before, and even though I wasn't one of the people that posted every day, I was pretty involved what with being a beta tester and all, and this site/game coming to its close is the one that's hit me hardest so far, I think. sad.gif

Hopefully it's okay to bump this with a double-post since I mean to bring back meaningful discussion.

Several years after the game stopped being updated, and a year after they'd decided that the end of the game was in sight, Eduweb started considering making a tablet version. The response was enthusiastic, and they decided to go forward with the project, reaching into their own pockets (since the funding, as previously mentioned, is gone) and hoping that the game's sales would be enough to cover it. They implemented a bunch of bugfixes and also came up with a new map, and then decided to take the update to Mac/PC.

So now we're on the brink of the release of WolfQuest 2.7 - the previous game with a bunch of improvements (elk are now affected by wind direction and have some different AI, there's the new map and pelt colors, multiplayer's been improved - for example you can play the slough creek missions as a team - etc.) Here's a full list of features.

They're planning on getting it in some online stores - Steam is one they're hoping for. Because they're reaching into their own pockets, this will be a paid version: PC/Mac will be $10, and for iPad the Amethyst Mountain mission will be free, and Slough Creek, Lost River, and the various pelt colors will be in-app purchases (or "buy it all" for $10).

The release date isn't set yet, because we're still busy with testing, but it's looking at maybe being toward the end of this month. I'm really excited to see it making a comeback!

Edited by Dawnwing

since its only gonna be 10 bucks ill definitely buy it but i kinda doubt itll be enough to fund a third episode :/ i really wish they'd try some kind of crowdfunding

Every now and then I go back to play the old version, 2.5.1. I still enjoy the game, but probably wouldn't purchase the new version. I might, though biggrin.gif .

the new map sounds very interesting but if there's nothing to actually do in the map besides walk around it might get boring fast in singleplayer

but i bet the roleplayers are excited about it! a whole new map to rp in

altho only private games having free text means it might not be as easy to find new members but on the plus side no lexicon chat in private games is gonna make it a lot easier to actually do the roleplaying

Edited by Switch

Yeah, the new map doesn't have missions or anything, just pack and elk territories like the other two. I think it's an interesting map, myself, and yeah, it'll definitely be good for rp'ing.

The public games will include an option for you to invite someone to be added as a friend, I believe.

I thought this game was done, I'm really excited for an update and will be buying the new game/update when it's out. I've always loved this game, never played on MP, only SP roaming around.

I want to play but I can't download

Edited by Kisuli

the new map is super cool! it's got a ton of details and way more stuff than i imagined o:

also the new map does have a single player campaign! it's the same as amethyst mountain's, but you actually can do more stuff there than just walk around and hunt, which is what i was afraid of.

i almost want to start roleplaying again haha but the public games are all phrase chat now so you cant just jump into any public game

Lol. I miss when Wolfquest was free through the museum.  XD I still have the old version downloaded onto my old laptop, but my new computer would have to buy a newer updated version of Wolfquest on steam. :P

On 9/15/2017 at 12:08 AM, TerraAnne said:

Lol. I miss when Wolfquest was free through the museum.  XD I still have the old version downloaded onto my old laptop, but my new computer would have to buy a newer updated version of Wolfquest on steam. :P

I got it on both PC and mobile.  Tbh, I think you should totally get the new version!  Or win those monthly contests.

Eh monthly contests? I don't have a great laptop for steam games. I own a few but so far the only thing I can get to work on it is The Isle. XD So I don't check the news on games in my wishlist often. Do they give away the game in contests monthly?