RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

Or I will close this thread until I believe people can act mature or respectful again*. There's absolutely no reason to snip or snipe at each other. If someone is rude, report them, ignore it, and move on.

*Board rules.

Okay. Thank you, Sock. I will behave. :3

Or I will close this thread until I believe people can act mature or respectful again*. There's absolutely no reason to snip or snipe at each other. If someone is rude, report them, ignore it, and move on.

*Board rules.

I just wrote a huuuge analysis of her letter, when I saw this. Oh well.

...Jeez, 7D$, I'm so glad my earlier poetry is stuffed deep in a USB drive and only my better stuff was brought out to be published. >w>

And that college is much better generally about turning stuff in with good Engrlish.

...Jeez, 7D$, I'm so glad my earlier poetry is stuffed deep in a USB drive and only my better stuff was brought out to be published. >w>

And that college is much better generally about turning stuff in with good Engrlish.

Same. Although My poetry is on my good ol' comp here. Lets hope Sin doesn't eat my awesome Poetry alive. of course, I think it's just her/his nature.

I don't have the same good fortune; I fancied myself an exemplary poet when I was in 5th grade and had many things published in those scam poetry.com anthologies which only stroked my ego. In retrospect it's very facepalm worthy.

But yeah, I love my publication, but we have to sift through so much censorkip.gif to get it to where it needs to be. Part of the problem is the ninth grade English teacher is our sponsor, and so he offers extra credit to kids who submit. Thus, we get an influx at the end of the semester of badly written poems (because they can be short, and "easy") written by the kids who are failing English and desperate. It's bad.

Ashes, you need to stop baiting me.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Ashes, you need to stop baiting me.

Just ignore her until she calms down.

Besides, my little eye spies three mods constantly reviewing the page, so, no worries.

Rather, two for now.

Edited by Voxezi

I don't have the same good fortune; I fancied myself an exemplary poet when I was in 5th grade and had many things published in those scam poetry.com anthologies which only stroked my ego. In retrospect it's very facepalm worthy.

I'm published in an anthology, and some of the ones in there are beyond ridiculous, but the best ones (winners) are actually really good.

I got a bit more interested in prose this past year and that's...not going so well. xd.png But I try.

I'm published in an anthology, and some of the ones in there are beyond ridiculous, but the best ones (winners) are actually really good.

I got a bit more interested in prose this past year and that's...not going so well. xd.png But I try.

The poetry.com anthologies are just big scams... I don't know about Creative Communications, which also published me, but, probably.

Our sponsor wants me to try my hand at creative-nonfiction but I don't have much experience with that kind of genre. I think it definitely takes some skill to keep it from being just a lengthy, written anecdote, but I'm not sure just what flair I want.

I managed to get a poem published once. It was a short poem in the university paper. Dead proud of it.

Edited by Kestra15

I've tried writing poetry before, but it wasn't particularly good. I never feel like it flows naturally, like with stories, but as if I'm purposely trying to force in extra literary techniques.

I'll agree, poetry from those who are young can be quite bad. I've read a few good ones, though, but they're pretty rare.

The poetry.com anthologies are just big scams... I don't know about Creative Communications, which also published me, but, probably.

Our sponsor wants me to try my hand at creative-nonfiction but I don't have much experience with that kind of genre. I think it definitely takes some skill to keep it from being just a lengthy, written anecdote, but I'm not sure just what flair I want.

I think Creative Communications might be the anthology I'm published in, and if by scam you mean money stealer with no results...I have a hardcover copy of it, so no?

More recently I've been published in my college's literary magazine, entirely student-run, school-funded. I almost had a second one in there, but it didn't make it. Tossing around the idea of submitting a prose work, but dunno yet, as I'm really slow with writing anything.

I cannot write poetry for my life. I have a copy of one that I wrote when I was about 12, maybe 13. It sucks. So badly.

Poetry is most definitely not my area of expertise. I haven't even attempted it since I was 12(tongue.gif), when I actually got sucked into that stupid poetry.com scam... I wasn't absolutely terrible at it, but I certainly wasn't very good. rolleyes.gif

Furthermore, I just discovered the keyword search at dilbert.com.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

xd.png

Grammar and spelling are important to me, but unless its a project or something for a grade I usually do not proof read it.

Waits for Rhea's Geammar Police-ing to edit tongue.gif

I wrote some of the bees poetry in my class one time, but it was still pretty bad...

My bad habit is that I generally use "prolly" instead of spelling out probably. It's how I say it so when I'm thinking out what I'm going to type I think "prolly" and end up using it. >.>

I admit I use 'prolly'. Along with 'ya'll', 'em' for them, and even the dreaded 'nother' from time to time. It's pretty much part of my dialect, call it typing with an accent.

I'll admit... if you can't tell the difference between your and you're, or the three 'there's, I personally cannot take your opinion seriously.

"There music sucks." No. Your opinion now is pretty much void with me. :l If this is also your first impression, it can take a while to redeem this with me, too. Just... Guh.

I can understand making a mistake now and again, but it's really not that hard to just read over what you said. Really. If you're in a hurry, don't start typing to begin with.

....Then there's the spelling mistakes and comma use. This I can let by, considering I can be comma-happy and not know how to spell something now and again. :b Or I make the mistake of using "Thing" instead of "Think". They're both so commonly used to me that my fingers go to type one instead of the other.

I always get 'affect' and 'effect' mixed up along with 'then' and 'than'. And... I tend to get way to comma happy every now and then.

I use "prolly" too.

Link4swear

Can you find what's wrong in the above image?

Ah, yes; Your/You're. I get annoyed when people get that wrong, too. Except, for me, I do occasionally write the wrong one when I'm in a hurry or not paying attention. That, along with there/their/they're.

Oh, and I have so much trouble with 'effect' and 'affect'. *kills them*

Oh, and I have so much trouble with 'effect' and 'affect'. *kills them*

Eww. "Effect" and "affect." And also "then" and "than." I don't know why, I just get them confused sometimes.

Eww. "Effect" and "affect." And also "then" and "than." I don't know why, I just get them confused sometimes.

Must run in the family, then. I have trouble with those too. :L

Must run in the family, then. I have trouble with those too. :L

An inability to use basic SPAG is not genetic. It is down to personal ability/intelligence/laziness and effectiveness of teachings methods.

It may be that because your family uses poor grammar, you too have picked up their bad habits - but such habits can be broken using appropriate methods.

My grammar is basically censorkip.gif. I have a bit of trouble with commas, i.e. I don't use them enough.

However, I have never taken an English course, so I have an excuse. Oh, and I tested out of the highest English course offered at my CC.