RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

I wish people would understand that when using the plural, they don't need to add an apostrophe. 'Students' doesn't magically turn into 'Student's'. Not to mention other shortenings, like 'They're' (coming from 'They are'), which a lot of users here write 'There'. *not pointing at someone in particular* Those are two completely different things.

Edited by Anca

I love grammar; however, I'm not the best at it. xd.png I'm self-taught. Everything I know about English I've learned through roleplaying and watching others write, as well as listening to others. Saying that, I should probably get my hands on a grammar book and learn everything properly. o.0 How I've managed this far without getting a teacher or professor on my back, I've no idea.

Pet peeve of the moment:

GUARDIAN.

GUARDIAN GUARDIAN GUARDIAN GUARDIAN.

NOT "gaurdian."

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Oooh! I have a pet peeve. Rogue. It is bloody rogue, not rouge... Rogue. Get it straight.

Rouge is the colour red.

Rogue is the rebel. >.>

This has never ceased to infuriate me.

I've also grown too dependent on spell checkers. Not that I could really spell anyway. At work, without them, I find it difficult to continuously question my work. I think I kind of like it.

Edited by Khallayne

I wish people would understand that when using the plural, you don't need to add an apostrophe. 'Students' doesn't magically turn into 'Student's'. Not to mention other shortenings, like 'They're' (coming from 'They are'), which a lot of users here write 'There'. *not pointing at someone in particular* Those are two completely different things.

In your first sentence, you said "I wish people would understand that when using the plural, YOU don't need to add an apostrophe."

That should actually be, "...THEY don't need to add an apostrophe." because "people" signifies more than one while "you" simply means you. Pronoun shift.

i don't like it when i use british correct spellings of words and they are different to colonist american spellings meaning i get told off for spelling.

for example every time i want to colour my text i need to check to see that i have left the u out otherwise it doesn't work.

I hate chatspeak. It makes my eyes bleed. mad.gif

And the way kids these days spell makes me worry for the future. I have a friend who has just graduated from highschool, and he doesn't know how to spell sword. What are they teaching these days?!

Sword is hard to spell, even for a 11 12 year old.

I hate it when people mix up their, there, and they're. Didn't they learn already? Chatspeak I can live with.

i don't like it when i use british correct spellings of words and they are different to colonist american spellings meaning i get told off for spelling.

for example every time i want to colour my text i need to check to see that i have left the u out otherwise it doesn't work.

To an extent, +1

One American I RP with constantly tries to 'correct' my spelling. That really rankles me.

Seconded.

I agee with you, yet I still can't but wince at your all lower case post. D: Sorry, this is one of the things that really hurt my eyes.

Lack of capitalization and most punctuation...

Also, this one girl I know claims to be well-read and love reading, yet she types in extreme shorthand and if she types anything more than one line I have to sit and stare at it to decipher it.

Another girl I know in college texts in really horrible chatspeak.

I don't care that I'm not a term paper and you have to use proper English.

Use proper ****ing English.

Lack of capitalization and most punctuation...

Also, this one girl I know claims to be well-read and love reading, yet she types in extreme shorthand and if she types anything more than one line I have to sit and stare at it to decipher it.

Another girl I know in college texts in really horrible chatspeak.

I don't care that I'm not a term paper and you have to use proper English.

Use proper ****ing English.

It's harder for me to type in chatspeak than it is for me to type normally.

2=/=to, in my mind. I have to consciously make the connection. Same with all the rest.

It's harder for me to type in chatspeak than it is for me to type normally.

2=/=to, in my mind. I have to consciously make the connection. Same with all the rest.

Same for me. I have to site there and think "So how do I change this into something in short hand? Do I just put '8' whenever there's an 'ate' sound? Or do I use an acronym?"

Yeah, its easier just to type normally. I'll probably cut down time since the reciever doesn't need to decipher what I type.

Yes.

It's freakin' annoying.

I just type whatever I think - it's a direct pipe to my brain.

If I have to shorten it, it takes more time.

In your first sentence, you said "I wish people would understand that when using the plural, YOU don't need to add an apostrophe."

That should actually be, "...THEY don't need to add an apostrophe." because "people" signifies more than one while "you" simply means you. Pronoun shift.

True, true. Post edited. And I do know how the plural works, it was just a mistake. I didn't need an explanation. (:

Edited by Anca

Chatspeak really annoys me. There was this post on my facebook news thread a while back, "ya i does sad.gif i just started hahah u going to ---- next yeAR?"

It took me a while to piece together what this is. I was like, um what?

My spelling isn't the best, nor is my grammar. I have a tendency to misspell almost everything when I'm tired (which is usually when I'm on the IRC :-/).

The only other grammar mistake that irks me are alot.pngs. Now I may love the alot.png, but alot.png =/= a lot.

Also I love the alot.png image thingy biggrin.gif. I love it a lot.

One of the things I hate most is when people say "off" as "of".

For example, "I got of the couch" "I took it of the shelf" AGLDSJGHJSJGHGKFSVA

Spinning off the above, when anyone types "w/c/should of".

It's HAVE.

Slurring and the contration makes it SOUND like "of", but look at the contraction.

W/C/Should've.

Is there a "v" in of? No?

Exactly.

Spinning off the above, when anyone types "w/c/should of".

It's HAVE.

Slurring and the contration makes it SOUND like "of", but look at the contraction.

W/C/Should've.

Is there a "v" in of? No?

Exactly.

This very highly.

I also hate it when people write "omg". I don't know why. I just say "oh my god" instead.

I don't mind chatspeak so much when I, well, chat. I sort of have a different voice when I chat compared to when I actually talk. For example, I don't usually say "Oh my God!" too much... I kind of use "Oh my gosh" (NOT in the super-bratty sense, but because... I feel like "Oh my God" is too... dramatic? I guess? for the purposes that I use it for). And if I use "lol" it's just an easier way to express that I'm laughing. If someone typed something funny, I wouldn't want to say, "That's so funny I'm laughing really hard," or "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA *gasp* HAHAHHAHAHAHA *giggle*." Likewise, if I just say, "Haha," it seems sort of mocking or like I don't think the person is actually funny. It's just easier to understand if I type "lol."

For me, as long as chatspeak is kept solely to chats, I'm okay with it - to an extent. When people start shortening words while speaking, I get annoyed. But when people start really, really working to shorten words, then I wonder why they're trying so hard, because it would take less time to type out the whole word than to think up a way to shorten it.

It also annoys me when people spell "weird" as either "wired" or "wierd." It's so easy to correct your spelling mistakes, DO IT! (Same with messing up your and you're - this is a mistake that so many people make and it AMAZES me because it is SO avoidable. Like when people type, say, "You're dog is cute," it makes me wonder how the person survives in English class).

Edit: And Flame and NixAyum, when you use quotation marks, punctuation goes inside the quotes (basically, the period should be inside the quotation marks).

Edited by zephyr_123

Edit: And Flame and NixAyum, when you use quotation marks, punctuation goes inside the quotes (basically, the period should be inside the quotation marks).

Actually that is greatly debatable. I've seen top-grade science papers use punctuation outside of the quotation marks, as well as some foreign languages. Remember, not all of us here are native English speakers - in fact, the irony is the non-native speakers are sometimes the biggest critics and have the better English.

Debatable. I'm an Honors English major (from a Canadian university), and when I wrote papers I put punctuation outside quotation marks all the time. It was never flagged as improper.

For more on the "proper" use of punctuation vis a vis quotation marks, see:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

When I write, I put the punctuation inside the quotes (usually). Otherwise it looks like a floating period out in the middle of nowhere and just.. irks me.

Debatable. I'm an Honors English major (from a Canadian university), and when I wrote papers I put punctuation outside quotation marks all the time. It was never flagged as improper.

For more on the "proper" use of punctuation vis a vis quotation marks, see:

http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html

Actually that is greatly debatable. I've seen top-grade science papers use punctuation outside of the quotation marks, as well as some foreign languages. Remember, not all of us here are native English speakers - in fact, the irony is the non-native speakers are sometimes the biggest critics and have the better English.

Oh yeah! I probably should have clarified. I skimmed through the web link attached and I understand that, in those cases, punctuation goes outside the quotation marks. The way that Flame and NixAyum used quotes, I believe, required the punctuation to be within the quotes.

Thanks for that web link, by the way, it's very informative.

What I do is:

-when it's a line of dialogue ending a sentence, put the punctuation inside

but

-when it's quoted something or sarcastic quote marks it goes outside.

*shrug*

Basically,

If it is part of the quotation itself, we put it inside the quotation marks, and if it governs the sentence as a whole but not the material being quoted, we put it outside the quotation marks.

this.

XD

Edited by NixAyum

when it's a line of dialoge ending a sentence, put the punctuation inside

*dialogue

Why didn't Firefox catch that? e.e

Spell-and-grammar checkers are not infallible.