RheaZen

Grammar, Spelling, and Fonts

Have you ever thought of Yoda as a grammarian nightmare?

With the way he talks, there is nothing wrong, I see.

:3

Edited by Sparkeycat

With the way he talks, there is nothing wrong, I see.

:3

True, that absolutely is.

Strange words, Yoda speaks.

I don't believe it's necessarily "wrong", the way Yoda forms his sentences, it's just unusual. Inverting one's sentences doesn't have to be wrong...or does it? I never understood rules like that very well.

Anywho.

I have a lot of British friends, so it's rather funny to see what bleeds over into my speech (I live in Hillbilly Central, USA--otherwise known as Idaho, or Where All Those Rednecks Come From). Most of the populace never passes eight grade and those that do are lucky to make tenth, so being a college student who spends his free time talking to British people results in a LOT of misunderstandings

Oh I've said that I think American should be recognised as a seperate language by this point. I'm not saying it's *not* a legitimate form of a language, I'm just saying that by this point it's no longer really 'English' and has become it's own seperate entity. Does that make sense? I'm arguing the point that when a language is sufficiently different from the way it's spoken in it's mother country (in this case the mother country of English being England) then it's become a seperate language. Mexican Spanish is heading the same way too. I used to know a Spaniard who said he hated it when Americans tried to speak to him in Spanish - because they'd invariably learnt it from a Mexican and the combination of the two (both strong) accents made it impossible for him to follow them. He'd usualy just ask them to speak English, because he could understand it better than he could their Spanish.

The first statement wasn't directed at you, more to the people who cry about how America is "ruining the English language" and who complain at even the slightest mention of American English becoming its own language. They would rather we learn to speak/write "proper" English as they do, which to me is just as horribly offensive as calling English (nation) English "British English". That was my point, just a counterpoint of perspective on the issue from "the other side of the pond". tongue.gif

It's funny you brought up Spanish. My first year of Spanish was a giant pain because our Teacher was from France, so she knew Spanish from Spain, when we were more used to the Mexican Spanish. My second and third years of Spanish were much easier when our teachers were native speakers (since I live in Texas). Plus, learning Spanish (nation) Spanish didn't help us as our interaction with the language is almost exclusively Mexican/Central American/South American Spanish.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

This needed bumping.

What is your opinion/common usage/proper usage of the double colon?

In headings, where the title is

Blah: Blah blah: blah blah

$00.02: I can't stand it. I think it looks unorganized. In such cases I'm much more partial to sub-heading, whether it be removing the first and moving the last two down a row or removing the second and making the last the sub-heading.

I could be entirely wrong, but just IMO.

I don't think I've ever seen a double color in use before. Could you post a picture of a headline or some other RL example?

From the syllabus that brought the question to mind.

Week 1: Sexing America: The Erotics of Discovery:

Tu 8/24

And proceeds to list the day's requirements.

Too many coloooooooooooooooonsssssssss.

... that's from a syllabus?

I don't know whether to weep or cry at that.

Anyways, now that I see it, it does come across as rather annoying. Is it grammatically correct, though?

Urgh, that's so annoying! I'm completely with you NixAyum!

... that's from a syllabus?

I don't know whether to weep or cry at that.

Anyways, now that I see it, it does come across as rather annoying. Is it grammatically correct, though?

I believe it is.

I believe it is.

Well boo, it looks bad to me. :s

The only time I used that was doing those weird simile things

lead : pencil :: ink : pen

mellow.gif

This might help you guys see how prevalent it is:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ColonCancer

Really there's nothing wrong with it, but I can get ridiculous (like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: [Title of Game]) though often it can be the result of a game/movie/book/etc. being intended for a one shot and getting sequels, or that when sequels come out the consumers need it to be tied to the series (The Harry Potter series of books aren't just "The Goblet of Fire" or "The Deathly Hallows") aren't looking for JUST "Crystal Chronicles: [Title of Game]" they're looking for Final Fantasy to be tacked on the beginning.

It's almost like a filing system. The first part tells you the overall theme (Final Fantasy), the second part determines what subsection/series the title belongs to (Crystal Chronicles), and the final part distinguishes the specific title ([Name of Game])

It's basically a title, subtitle, and sub-subtitle, and even if it isn't written with a colon on the cover/whatever, it's written with them when you convert it for use in writing.

Besides, it would look odd without it... almost like a salad bowl title (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [Name of Game]), the colons give you a mental stop point to seperate out the sea of words.

-K-

It's almost like a filing system. The first part tells you the overall theme (Final Fantasy), the second part determines what subsection/series the title belongs to (Crystal Chronicles), and the final part distinguishes the specific title ([Name of Game])

It's basically a title, subtitle, and sub-subtitle, and even if it isn't written with a colon on the cover/whatever, it's written with them when you convert it for use in writing.

Besides, it would look odd without it... almost like a salad bowl title (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [Name of Game]), the colons give you a mental stop point to seperate out the sea of words.

-K-

DAMNITTVTROPES.

I know, but it still looks weird, and in the case I gave (and probably most others) she could have made it an ACTUAL sub-heading instead of colon abuse.

Like for FF, make it FF on one line and then CC: [Name]. They don't go Final Fantasy: X.

Welcome, Grammar police, to my world:

Alright, first off:

1. I enjoy the use of grammar, and think it's a key element in any paper, written or typed.

2. I write poems. Can you imagine my poems? Poor, sloppy work? Not at all.

The trees were glowing,

Faint in the light of the dawn,

Remember yourself,

Sitting here,

Thinking about me,

My dear, know your living,

If you call fall into the dawn's light.

3. Guess what? I am from Russia. I wish I could go back; I truly want to, but, I am 12. Keep this in mind when I speak once more.

I learned English in six months, at the age of four. I became a citizen of the United States of America.

How do you like me now? -Smug smile-

Edited by Ashes The Second

Alright, first off:

1. I enjoy the use of grammar, and think it's a key element in any paper, written or typed.

The trees were glowing,

Remember yourself,

Sitting here,

Thinking about me,

3. Guess what? I am from Russia. I wish I could go back; I truly want to, but, I am 12. Keep this in mind when I speak once more.

I learned English in six months, at the age of four. I became a citizen of the United States of America.

I like you. :'D

Anyway.

I get pissed when people start using "..." between each sentence. It pisses me off so badly and I don't even know why the hell it does.

Alright, first off:

The trees were glowing,

Remember yourself,

Sitting here,

Thinking about me,

The smugness doesn't do much for my opinion of you, sorry.

The smugness doesn't do much for my opinion of you, sorry.

Your opinion counts as nothing, though. Haha.

Alright, first off:

The trees were glowing,

Remember yourself,

Sitting here,

Thinking about me,

Welcome, grammar police [or Grammar Police - all or none], to my world.

Alright, first off:

1. I enjoy the use of proper grammar, and think it's a key element in any paper, written or typed.

2. I write poems. Can you imagine my poems? Poor, sloppy work? Not at all.[Question and answer do not match - perhaps "How do you imagine my poems? As poor, sloppy work?" or other]

The trees were glowing,

Remember yourself,

Sitting here,

Thinking about me,

[Also, poems don't need to follow any sort of grammar or spelling constraints. See: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15402 ]

3. Guess what? I am from Russia. I wish I could go back; I truly want to, but, I am 12.[unnecessary information, as presumably this post is about your grammar and not what you want and how old you are] Keep this in mind when I speak once more.

I learned English in six months, at the age of four. I became a citizen of the United States of America. [i call this out as BS]

How do you like me now? -Smug smile-.

[Not very much. See what 7Deadly$ins said.]

Edited by RheaZen

Devaluing the opinions of others could easily be construed as disrespect.

-Sighs- Hello.

I do not fear you. You cannot abuse me into respect. You must prove yourself. Making a site isn't that hard, and i am a mod on two forums, and an admin on one.

They are Zoo Tycoon 2 sites.

Bleah, stupid contacts.

Edited by Ashes The Second

Yep, you sound like every other obnoxious twelve year old I've ever met. Congrats.

And good job on that poem, by the way. It's a stunning example of ignoring rhythm and meter completely.

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

Making a site isn't that hard, and i am a mod on two forums, and an admin on one.

How big are said forums?

Also, so this isn't completely spammy...

I try my best with spelling/grammar, but I'm not perfect, and I make tons of typoes. Some of my friends don't have good grammar, they're still cool though. cool.gif

edited for smiley failure.

Edited by scratcher_cat

Yep, you sound like every other obnoxious twelve year old I've ever met. Congrats.

And good job on that poem, by the way. It's a stunning example of ignoring rythm and meter completely.

Mmm... Perhaps you should value the others' here who enjoy poems, and who enjoy life. Maybe you hould.. Crtizie someone else. I was trying to prove a point. Adults seem to be irksome, because they can't see the values kids can see. :3

I do not hate you, Sin, You just need to understand I am not valued much. Your options drop every time your rude, and my value of your opinion drops to.

Do not make enemies where none should stand.

Well, when TJ comes to a topic, I think it's probably pretty serious.

(almost put "srs bsns", but decided against it, given the nature of the thread...)