Kiraine

Dragon Notepad

That's all I wanted too. One on the cave. It would be so much easier for me, to just click to remind myself who I am breeding with what, as I am handicapped. I'm sure it would be welcome and easier for lots of others too.

We're just saying that there are alternatives that can do a similar job to what you are suggesting.

Of course, an in cave one would be useful, but a lot of people already have their own ways of recording things.

The notepad on 'My Controls' on the forums IS private, too.

Remember that lots of people do not have a forum account. I support this idea.

^This. Not everyone wants, or is allowed a forum account. Things like word and google docs are nice, but again, the first may not be installed on the computer and a kid might not be allowed to use google docs. In general though, I support adding such stuff to the site itself. There have been plenty of things, like lineage and progeny viewers which once were available on other sites but not on the site itself.

Good point. Fuzz recants and decides to support the idea in principle, even though she wouldn't use it in practice !

(not that I didn't "support" it before, I just couldn't see why the forum one wasn't adequate, since you'd have to have two tabs open either way, was all.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I did support this from the start, really. I was just pointing out that there are already other alternatives a lot of people are using anyway.

I fear that having this type of info stored on site would contribute to lag and use up resources better used for other info and data.

I use an Excel spreadsheet on my computer for such things, so I wouldn't have a need for this. Also, just about every Windows OS comes with both Wordpad and Notepad for those that don't want/can't use MSOffice/Open Office/Google docs (I know not everyone uses Windows, but that's the one I am familiar with) that can be used to make such notes.

That said, I'm not 'against' the suggestion, but not really 'for' it either since there are plenty of options out there to cover this function without causing potentially more strain on the Cave server.

Edited by Slaskia

Remember that lots of people do not have a forum account.  I support this idea.

this.

Although I do agree with raindear. It could contribute to lag but it's just a small factor. TJ might just suggest that we use Notepad or something else on our computer.

Edited by cfmtfm

I don't think it should be at the top of any cave to-do list, but I won't say no to it. There is a suggestion around to have a notepad for each growing dragon (as I understood it) so they could put notes like if it was for gifting or if it needed influenced, but I think this would be more helpful. :3

I don't think it should be at the top of any cave to-do list, but I won't say no to it. There is a suggestion around to have a notepad for each growing dragon (as I understood it) so they could put notes like if it was for gifting or if it needed influenced, but I think this would be more helpful. :3

I would certainly prefer this to that other idea. o3o

I've realized in the forums that people who give away eggs and gift hatchies tend to give instructions of how they would prefer the eggs were breed or who it mates with. This is extraordinarily strange way to "gift" people things as I don't give away a Nintendo and say never play Mario on this system. With that being said a way to make notes about your own dragons would be a nice way to keep track of these weird demands or to label which dragon you are thinking of giving away.

Gonna have to say no support. I'd like to start by saying that this is not "extraordinarily strange" for people to do, nor are their demands "weird." People spend a lot of time trading for and working on lineages, sometimes even years, and when they give away the offspring of their labors they want to see their legacy continued. A lot of people put these lineages eggs out into circulation with the sole intention of getting people to continue their lines, so you can imagine why they don't want that being muddied up.

As for the suggestion, it is, put bluntly, completely pointless. If you want to keep track of preferred mates, simply make a google doc listing your dragons and what you should breed with them. This suggestion adds nothing beneficial to the game that cannot otherwise be done, and just takes up unnecessary space. If this really bothers you and you don't want to make a google doc, just don't take eggs with preferred mates. If someone offers a Gold but they only want you to breed it with Whites, and you don't want to, just find another Gold.

Google doc spread sheets can easily become cluttered and formatting can become an extreme pain. There is nothing pointless about adding a feature to add notes to individual dragons. Furthermore, if someone is using their google docs for professional or academic reason why should they waste the memory of an already limited google drive. It may be pointless to you but I'm sure many would find use for it.

Edited by carlnow

I believe there's already a similar suggestion, but don't quote me on that.

I'd love to see a tags/notes system personally. I've always favored a system that allows us to place little snippets of info on a dragon.

Editing Spread Sheets can get cumbersome and a task, honestly. It's hard for me to keep up with my Z'Dragons, let alone my whole scroll. xd.png Then becomes the issue with finding the info on one dragon when there's a whole scroll of dragons.

Individual dragon notes would really help me a lot.

Gonna have to say no support. I'd like to start by saying that this is not "extraordinarily strange" for people to do, nor are their demands "weird." People spend a lot of time trading for and working on lineages, sometimes even years, and when they give away the offspring of their labors they want to see their legacy continued. A lot of people put these lineages eggs out into circulation with the sole intention of getting people to continue their lines, so you can imagine why they don't want that being muddied up.

As for the suggestion, it is, put bluntly, completely pointless. If you want to keep track of preferred mates, simply make a google doc listing your dragons and what you should breed with them. This suggestion adds nothing beneficial to the game that cannot otherwise be done, and just takes up unnecessary space. If this really bothers you and you don't want to make a google doc, just don't take eggs with preferred mates. If someone offers a Gold but they only want you to breed it with Whites, and you don't want to, just find another Gold.

THIS. No support at all.

Also I keep notes in a document on my very own computer. Works a treat. Googledocs are, I agree, a pain in the butt - but if you want notes that others can see, that's one possibility. Or there's dropbox which has LOADS of space. Why should space on the dragcave server be cluttered with everyone's notes, either, though ?

Spreadsheets are no problem at all if you take the trouble to set them up to do what you want. I have a massive dragon one, as well as many Word documents. And I am very very old and might be assumed to be past working out such things xd.png If I can do it, surely you guys can laugh.gif

I agree that having a place directly attached to/related to the specific dragon you're making notes for would be extremely useful.

I don't want to have to go open a google doc, find the dragon I'm thinking of, and checking from there. I'm already on DC. I want to just click that dragon and find its information.

We already have descriptions possible. I don't see how private notes is going to take up that much more space?

I agree that having a place directly attached to/related to the specific dragon you're making notes for would be extremely useful.

I don't want to have to go open a google doc, find the dragon I'm thinking of, and checking from there. I'm already on DC. I want to just click that dragon and find its information.

We already have descriptions possible. I don't see how private notes is going to take up that much more space?

Agreed. It would take just another text field associated to each dragon. I really could use this! And the people that do not need it, well... nobody would force them to use it.

I don't feel like crafting a response to the people who say that you can just go somewhere else to take notes. So I'll just summarize and say this:

That sounds like more work for the user than is necessary. Since I'm an exceptionally lazy person I'm in support of this.

'Kay, bye. *fades into the shadows*

I don't feel like crafting a response to the people who say that you can just go somewhere else to take notes. So I'll just summarize and say this:

That sounds like more work for the user than is necessary. Since I'm an exceptionally lazy person I'm in support of this.

'Kay, bye. *fades into the shadows*

I've no idea why to use an external spreadsheet would be better than to have the information neatly organized in DC. Actually, I strongly oppose that concept. This is DC, I wish I could keep all DC-related information internally instead of using whatever outside of it. I'm looking at one of my dragons, its information should be here instead of going around opening different applications, searching for the dragon and relative information. I'm not saying that others have a ton of time on their hands to waste, I'm saying that I (working between 10 to 12 hours a day, not retired, little time left for DC) don't.

I've no idea why to use an external spreadsheet would be better than to have the information neatly organized in DC. Actually, I strongly oppose that concept. This is DC, I wish I could keep all DC-related information internally instead of using whatever outside of it. I'm looking at one of my dragons, its information should be here instead of going around opening different applications, searching for the dragon and relative information. I'm not saying that others have a ton of time on their hands to waste, I'm saying that I (working between 10 to 12 hours a day, not retired, little time left for DC) don't.

thumbs_up.png

That's basically what I would've said if I wasn't so tired. Thank you for sharing my view.

Exactly my thoughts. *thumbs up biggrin.gif

I've been wishing for a while that we could have a text box for short notes next to each egg/hatchilng/dragon on our scrolls.

I agree that we can use spreadsheets etc to keep notes, but it would be much more convenient to be able to see notes at a glance whevever we open our scrolls.