Kiraine

Dragon Notepad

Alright, I've never seen this suggested but I can't be sure since I couldn't think of a word with what to search for it, either. >_>

Anyhow, I was breeding my Dorkfaces today, and then a random white egg - all my Dorkfaces were whites too, so I had to shove the non-Dorkie egg somewhere else to remember not to fake-name it.

I came to think of, if I could make a specific note for the egg stating it's not a Dorky, and a specific notes for the Dorkies to remember what to name them, it'd be a lot easier.

Also, if I had a special partner for my dragon, I could put it into the notebook box and check it whenever I bred the said dragon.

I used to have a lot of specific partners but remembering them became a pain later on, so now I'm just breeding with any available partners - leading to one embarrassing fail for me as I bred a dragon to her father even though I really didn't want to do that.

I know very well I can just look up at their lineages, but with my internet slowing down a lot in DC these days that makes things a bit boring.

So, this said notebook would be located somewhere in the abandon/breed/kill-list and would open like a description page where you'd have the box to type things in. You could then proceed to make your notes, save the box and move on with your life to come back later on and see the notes there left in the box you had typed them into.

This would save us the work of viewing lineages of the dragons if we had a specific breeding lineage, if the egg was for a project, if the dragon had a partner, if it was a gift for/from someone...

It would be kinda useful imo.

What about have available on the cave a "notepad", a blank page you can keep notes on, like who you are breeding with who, possible names you'd like for future dragons, etc. Would be very handy. Only accessible to the person logged in, not viewable to anyone else. I'm handicapped and it would be much easier to keep track of my dragons mates and such, to just click a link, type, edit, etc on a personal page.

Just a little personal notepad with a link on your main dragon page.

I'd love one, anyone else?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

That is a really useful idea. Having it show on the actions page would be handy, because say you were waiting for a dragon to become breedable, but knew who you wanted to mate it with next, you could put that in so you didn't forget in the meantime.

Also, you could potentially have the single 'notebook' that appears on every dragon's page, because you could identify the dragons by code, if they didn't have names. Eg: CODE - name XYZ if female; COD1 - breed with Male1; drag - DO NOT BREED.

Good idea =)

but wouldn't it take up a lot of server space

and it would take a bit more time for pages to load

people might also missuse it

but wouldn't it take up a lot of server space

and it would take a bit more time for pages to load

people might also missuse it

as she said only you could see it so it would'nt matter what it says on it

as for space.. it would take up far less than some other ideas iv'e seen (one of mine included)

it would be a fairly useful idea

I've had this idea myself, but not gotten around to posting... And the further idea, to have it as a text box on the actions page, is great. Pretty much every time I come to dragcave I have to pop up Excel where I keep my notes. I'd love to be able to differentiate two hatchies of the same type with slightly different lineages by tagging one with "bottom half of rainbow, to mate with egg from Bob and Sue" and one with "top half of rainbow, to mate with egg from Fred and Mary" or whatever. "Caveborn, to replace Beth"... These are all things I have to go to another program to check now.

Its a cool idea, I've got to admit, and a nice feature, but it does beg the question of why you couldn't just use a physical, real-life notebook or a word document? Or use a site such as the Dragon Tree, which I myself use. Really its not the idea itself that I find in question, because being a neat-freak myself I do like the idea, but perhaps the actual necessity of it.

Even just a note that had the same size limit as a name would be useful.

Yeah, I could use a spreadsheet or something, but having it be on the scroll would be a lot more convenient.

It's a neat idea, and one I admit I've thought of a few times!

However, I find a Notepad document works just fine for me so long as I remember to open it before I begin messing about with my dragons. biggrin.gif (Plus, with Notepad formatting is up to me, so I can use Tab to make basic columns, etc.)

I love this idea too so I am bumping up this thread.

I almost posted a new thread because I just thought of my own verison. Not as good as yours, but I what I was envisioning was just a little drop down note box on the upper corner of our scroll. Maxium characters would be about four times longer than the dragon naming box. (Now I'm thinking it would need a bit more space)

Reminders could be typed into it. "Have to hunt winters today" "Breeding X and X tomorrow" "Scroll lock ends in two days" type of thing.

I want this too! Any new readers to the thread interested?

Maybe the thread could be renamed "SCROLL NOTES" to bring in more attention?

Edited by Dragonbox

If you have a forum account, which you clearly do, you already have a notepad. Go to your forum control panel. There's a handy notepad right there.

I keep very large amounts of data recorded in mine. Not all of it serious or useful, but it is there for my use.

If you have a forum account, which you clearly do, you already have a notepad.  Go to your forum control panel.  There's a handy notepad right there.

I keep very large amounts of data recorded in mine.  Not all of it serious or useful, but it is there for my use.

ohmy.giftongue.gif Heh... heh!! Wow thanks! You know... silly me. I've actually seen that once or twice but it didn't click in the old noggin. Thanks!!!

P.S. I've been chuckling each time I see the "hands that shoot bees" biggrin.gif

Edited by Dragonbox

If you have a forum account, which you clearly do, you already have a notepad. Go to your forum control panel. There's a handy notepad right there.

I keep very large amounts of data recorded in mine. Not all of it serious or useful, but it is there for my use.

What about those people who dont have forum accounts?

I've also thought about posting something like this. Not everyone visits the forum to use the notepad, and it would be nice if the dragons had the notes on them.

I also don't think it would take up any space (it's like a description, which I rarely see in use) and only the user can see the notes, so it also can't be "misused".

Who cares if someone puts "I LIEK CANNED CHIKKENZ" as a note? No one else can see it so no harm will be done.

Seriously...I want

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

I suggested something similar for Papers as a BSA in the past, to attach notes to eggs or hatchings and such. You breed something, and it has eight berjillion lineages, so you note it and if it gets dropped, someone can see that. They have the option to remove it, as it is now their dragon, etc.

I suggested something similar for Papers as a BSA in the past, to attach notes to eggs or hatchings and such. You breed something, and it has eight berjillion lineages, so you note it and if it gets dropped, someone can see that. They have the option to remove it, as it is now their dragon, etc.

I think papers are too rare for a BSA. plenty of people have papers, but not everyone does. I think the DC people are trying to keep BSAs to very common dragons.

I think papers are too rare for a BSA. plenty of people have papers, but not everyone does. I think the DC people are trying to keep BSAs to very common dragons.

TJ has said that papers are not a rare dragon.

It's a good idea, but wouldn't you just be able to do this in something like notepad on your computer...? That's all I do. I make notes and lists in Microsoft Office Word and notepad.

It's a good idea, but wouldn't you just be able to do this in something like notepad on your computer...? That's all I do. I make notes and lists in Microsoft Office Word and notepad.

True, but if you are playing at someone else's house on a different computer you don't want to have to lug around an actual notebook or possibly lose a flashdrive or have a drive malfunction and lose all data. Having the notes integrated as part of the game would prevent that.

As per TJ09, Papers are uncommon, not rare.

I like this idea! Would it be on a separate page or would it be on the dragons page where the description can go/underneath the description if you have one?