Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

((Me was on loooong weekend. Hooray for national holidays!))

Hearing the beating of wings, Katelyn had looked up to see Malice descending. She and Sleet had already walked a long way around the forest and had not yet picked up any scent. It had rained hard, but not all scents of the escapees could have been washed away, so she kept faith, knowing - or at least hoping - that eventually they would stumble upon the spot where one or more of the brats had passed through. And then it would only be a matter of following their nose... or eyes in Katelyn's case. As the dragon landed and she heard Gelltor's voice, Katelyn gave a curt bow of her head to acknowledge him.

"Haven't picked up on anything as yet, but the brats have to have come through at some point. So I'm in good hopes to find their track sooner or later. As long as Hyro doesn't call us back that is." The latter was said in an undertone, more a grumbling than anything else. "You got any more luck? Saw you descend in town, you think some of them remained closer than we originally thought?"

Gelltor shook his head.

"I doubt it, if they stayed in the city they would already be ours. I was arranging an extension of influence, hopefully my arm of influence will soon grasp the heart of the New Dragon Knights. However Malice has brought something to my attention that I find useful. You see I happen to have access to a scent that will be near the NDK at all times unfortunately Malice's nose while good isn't the best. So we think about our assets and you my dear lady are at the top of the usefulness list. Despite Hyro's rather crude statements about our skills I think you are the best tracker we have, hands down. So I give you this scent, you lead the forces to NDK while their still squirming in the mud trying to get their bearings and crush them before they get any power. Then you return a hero and legend to Hyro's forces. This would effectively put a dent in Taja's pride which might encourage her to get a grip on that black dragon of hers."

It was obvious that Gelltor was still unhappy with what had happened the night of the escape. Malice looked curiously at his rider sending telepathically to him.

"You want to knock Taja down a few notches too eh? Ambitions abound."

"Shut up Malice."

Lifting a brow, Katelyn observed Gelltor for a moment, while Sleet prodded her mind again. "Be careful, Katelyn. None in Hyro's force would want to see someone a hero except for themselves. Something smells fishy here and it's not Malice's breath." Having to choke down a chuckle, she hid it by slowly nodding. She was happy to notice her ice dragon had a bit of his usual humor back, something which had diminished greatly after Hyro's berating of them. He was right of course, nobody of the force would happily put another on Hyro's good side, that is if there wasn't anything to gain from it themselves. So what was in it for Gelltor, she wondered. As for his remark about Taja, she had no personal fight with the woman nor her dragons. Sleet and Katelyn had been elsewhere when Bramble had ruined the search for the NDK and while she understood and even sympathised with the pain the others felt about it, she did not have a grudge against them. Planning to keep a close eye on him, she nodded again. "What is this scent you have access to?"

Gelltor smiled at having Katelyn's co-operation.

"Well right now an associate of mine should be infiltrating the NDK his job is to send my informant information about the NDK's actions every so often that is of course then passed on to me. The associate happens to have family in the city. Family that happens to be part of the operation and also happen to have possessions of his that will most certainly hold his scent, namely clothing. Since you are willing to co-operate I will acquire the scent for you but I have to do it alone since they don't know who I am and I need to maintain my disguise should this little alteration to the original plan go poorly. That way we don't lose everything. So then I shall be off, wait here for us we will be back."

With that Malice gave a powerful flap of his wings, launching himself into the air.

"You want to knock down more then just Taja don't you?"

"It all depends on how things turn out. Who knows we may just get an ally."

"...Right."

Watching Gelltor take of on Malice, she turned to regard Sleet.

He was quick to let you in on his plan. Keeps smelling fishy if you ask me.

I know, infiltrants and their family not knowing who Gelltor is?

We best keep an eye on him, because he double crosses us.

Nodding in agreement, Katelyn looked around some more and then decided to just rest a while. The ice dragon settled on the ground, yawning and curling up slightly, while his rider sat down against the bark of the nearest tree. She'd like to rest herself against the side of her dragon, but despite her clothing being warm and thick enough to sit on the saddle above him, it would not keep the cold of his hide long out of her bones. And thus she sat resting, something she did not often do. And she could not relax herself enough now either, after a while starting to do little excercises to train her senses, while waiting for dragon and rider to return.

Gelltor pointed out a rooftop to Malice saying.

"Set me down there and wait out of sight the house is only a couple streets over."

Malice landed on the shop roof and Gelltor went inside. He didn't hide himself while in the store to keep questions from being asked. As he walked through people did their best to ignore him pretending to go on about their business. Once outside he turned down an ally and put his hood up and drew his cloak around him this would help to keep people from recognizing him in public. It wasn't long before he arrived at Hank's house and knocked on the door. Hank's wife answered the door with a warm welcome.

"Welcome. You must be Allen."

"Yes but I haven't a lot of time, I need something of your husband's, specifically something with his scent on it."

"I have something but what would you need that for?"

"I managed to bring one of Hyro's knights in on the plan but they need his scent so that they can tell who he is to avoid killing him by accident."

That got the wife's attention as she ran up the stairs and came back with a pair of trousers.

"If anything smells like him it will be these please hurry."

She said worriedly, Gelltor thanked her and left swiftly getting out of sight of the house and getting picked up by Malice. They flew back to Katelyn as quickly as possible.

"Got em eh?"

"You doubted me?"

"Of course not."

It wasn't much longer until they arrived at the spot they left their comrades.

"GOT EM!"

Gelltor called out as Malice began his descent.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Hearing the sound of wings, Sleet opened one eye lazily and looked up to see Malice approach again. Katelyn on her turn had already scrambled upright and was walking slowly over to her ice dragon. Moving to the back of the saddle, she opened one of the small bags sewn on it and took out 2 small pouches. In one were cruched coffee beans and in the other a mixture of herbs which smelled strong and fresh and would open up the nose. First she smelled deeply on the herbs, then the coffee beans and then back on the herbs. Afterwards, she let Sleet sniff at the same pouches. Whenever they had to follow a smell without having any tracks to go by, they used these two pouches to make sure their sense of smell was clear and clean. The pouches would also be used in case another smell disturbed their track or if they passed too many different smells which resembled the one they followed. The coffee beans was an old trick many people used to clear their nose of ugly or annoying smells, the herbs was a combination Katelyn had discovered herself and had experimented with until it did was she wanted. This was all they could do to prepare themselves for the upcoming road. The pouches were kept in a small bag around her hip, ready to be used when she needed. With a mental prod against Sleet, Katelyn locked her mind with that of him, ready to combine their strength.

"You have the smell?"

Edited by BlackScorpion7

((Messaged the NDK. Shall post at a later point.))

"Do we have the smell? Jeeze, I could follow this by scent alone."

Malice replied sarcastically. He snatched the trousers from Gelltor and handed them over to Sleet once he landed.

"I think this should work for you Katelyn. What do you think?"

Gelltor sat back on Malice. There were times he wished he had a saddle and this was one of those times but he reminded himself of the relative uselessness of it since he almost never rode Malice anyways.

"Well no time like the present then, at your leisure."

((Yay!!!! Woot DS!!!))

Edited by En'K'Haral

Narrowing his eyes, Sleet glared at the Grey dragon and wanted to give a biting remark just when Katelyn gave a short shake of her head. 'Let it go, Sleet. We're all a bit short on temper these days. Use it for the hunt, because if we fight, Hyro'll hear about it and then what?' This certainly made the Ice dragon shut his muzzle. 'Get these trousers out from between my teeth before I choke on them. I'm not a dog, I don't enjoy having my head stuck at someone's crotch.' Suppressing a grin, Katelyn took the cloth from him and examined it first. A short sniff from Sleet confirmed that there were a few other smells on it, one being Gelltor himself and Malice, but the main scent was strong enough to overrule the others. The pouch with herbs was brought out again and both dragon and rider sniffed on it and then at the trousers. The pouch was hidden in the bag on Katelyn's hip again and they both closed their eyes to smell the air. Of course Katelyn couldn't track a scent near as well as Sleet could, but she helped him by using his sense of smell and adding her knowledge of different smells to it. They were indeed a good team together, though it had not always been so.

As a hatchling, the Ice dragon had been difficult to manage and even more difficult to train. Even when he had come to age, the first months had been hard. But eventually they had both grown great respect for one another and finally in the end a deep bond of friendship. After they had sniffed through multiple scents and Katelyn had to keep Sleet from bounding after several scents of wild deer, Sleet suddenly locked onto the scent. It was faint but recognizeable. Katelyn snapped her eyes open and quickly scrambled on Sleet and into the saddle. Strapping her legs, she already gave Sleet the command to move, while calling out to Gelltor and Malice.

"Follow, but not too closely." This had more to do with their familiar scents disturbing the air than anything else. Sleet leaped into the air, circled once and then angled into the general direction he could smell the scent from. The trousers were still in Katelyn's hand and once in a while she sniffed at them, to remind Sleet how it was. They did not fly fast, but rather deliberate, making sure they were still on the right track. Once in a while the Ice dragon would get too many scents together, but Katelyn would then calm him down and once again reminded him what to look for, after which Sleet angled back on track.

((Will check later today, but won't be able to come online again until Tuesday!))

Malice didn't get why sleet seemed ticked at his statement he had only meant that the trousers scent was really strong. He shrugged it off and the pair followed Sleet a fair distance back to keep his scent from interfering.

"So you gonna let me in on the plan yet?"

"Well ok I suppose mind you a lot of factors have yet to play in so not all of this is guaranteed. We need to knock Taja down a few more notches with Hyro. Then we subsequently beef up Katelyn with her tracking abilities and Mordred with her combat abilities. Katelyn isn't stupid so I don't think she will attack the NDK right away."

"If she does?"

"She won't. I will talk her out of it if she intends too. Anyways, we will return with this knowledge which I would like to keep from Taja at all costs and make her look like a fool for not being able to find the NDK causing her to lose credibility with Hyro. After that we should impair Bramble's ability to fight making an even greater fool of Taja and with bramble impaired during the fight we can try and convince Mordred to play dirty and feign being interrupted by Bramble while they were zeroing in on the fugitives. The NDK escape and the attack goes into ruin. We return defeated and shamed but Taja will be demoted. From there either Mordred or Katelyn stand to get promoted to Taja's position. Hopefully, we are still too early into things to know for sure. I hope for Katelyn, Mordred is too hard to deal with."

"Then what makes you think he will go along with it in the first place."

"I don't, if he chooses not to participate then he will have to unfortunately perish gloriously in battle."

"A fight with Ghidora and Mordred won't exactly be subtle. I know how you like to do things quietly."

"Strike him down with a lightening bolt when they are close to Drac and we can say we had a shot at stunning the lad when Bramble crashed into us during the fight throwing your shot off. Of course we will need to fly into our impaired Bramble's path. I already know what your gonna ask and no I have yet to come up with a way to get Bramble impaired. I heard our friend had gotten drunk and was singing a particular song about a banana down at the harbor but his been wising up since. So we need to get him while he is still acting like an idiot."

"Its been a long time since I have had a scotch."

"Perhaps we could wet our pallets with Bramble and Taja someday soon."

Gelltor called out to Katelyn.

"Hey any idea as to how much farther or is that impossible to tell based on smell.?"

This was to gauge her and Sleets ability to detect scents since he may in the future need to remain unknown around Sleet.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Flying slowly, Sleet and Katelyn made sure they were following the right track still. The scent had been faint at first and it still could not be called strong, but they could converse a bit easier now. Once in a while Katelyn sniffed at the pants again, giving the memory to Sleet. The Ice dragon's head slowly swivelled left and right, taking in all the different scents, filtering them with Katelyn's help and angling himself in the right direction.

You any idea what they're up to?

No idea. Must admit I'm finding it strange as well. I do prefer Gelltor's company above that that of Mordred, but that doesn't mean I trust the man. He's up to something besides finding the NDK. But I don't have any idea what.

We best keep an eye on them.

You keep your nose on the scent, before we can go back to Hyro with hanging paws.

Just keep your eyes on your back, before Mister Sympathico puts a dagger in it.

Hearing Gelltor call out, she remained silent for a moment, consulting with Sleet. After a few seconds, she called back, informing him the scent was a bit stronger than at the forest, but it was hard to judge how far they would still have to go. Some scents lingered long and faded slowly, but some faded quickly. So it was impossible to say if it was still long or if they would stumble quickly upon it.

((I'll let them stumble upon the camp in the next post if you want. But it's a bit late now and I think I'm going to seek some sleep...))

Gelltor called out his acknowledgement.

"Alright then."

"So let me get this right. We go out and find the NDK with Katelyn and then bring back the information to Hyro. Hyro gets happy with us and Katelyn and disappointed in everyone else especially Taja right?"

"Correct because Bramble had already been seen drinking I am sure news of it will have reached Hyro by now so Taja will already be in a hot seat. We are just gonna make it a little warmer."

Malice nodded as he began to understand.

"Our objective is to ruin Taja and elevate Katelyn or Mordred?"

"And then ruin the next person in line. That is until someone on our payroll is put into place, hopefully Katelyn. I think that with the occasional suggestion here and the nod there she will do essentially what we want her to do."

"I think I can fill in the pieces myself from there. Risky and ugly if things go wrong they will go really wrong you know that right?"

"It’s my plan of course I know that so lets play it safe."

Malice nodded again as he followed Sleet.

((I think a Time Skip may be necessary since my next few posts will be comprised of they followed Katelyn until they reach the NDK campsite. What happened to the NDK players? We had an extra one didn't we? What was her name? Cassie!))

Edited by En'K'Haral

((They've all decided they don't want to post any more but want to keep their characters just in case they decide they want to actually play them later.))

((Ignore him.

TCA and Tokino both apologise, but they're unable to RP any more for their own reasons. They've both said it would be best if we killed off their characters, so feel free to do with them as you please. May give Katelyn/Gelltor something to do.

Yes, we now have Cassie. DS owes you all a post for all her characters. DS apologises aussi. I'll get one out soon hopefully.

Also, tomorrow is my last EVER day of compulsory schooling! =o It's all gone so fast! *is in a slight state of shock*))

((Here is me, being a bit bored: LONG post. We're very close to the camp!!))

Time passed slowly as the Ice dragon and his rider kept following the scent of the man patiently. It kept getting stronger and easier over time to follow through the normal scents of nature. A sudden movement made Sleet turn his head and lose the scent. He lifted his left wing slightly higher and started to make a large circle. They had flown for quiet a while over fields and plains, after which they had come to the next forest. This forest was not as dense as the one near the city and had more open spaces and they had seen several deer and other animals grazing. Some had seen them and bounded away, but when tracking Sleet paid hardly any attention to possible meat. It had taken Katelyn a long time to train Sleet in this, as in the beginning he had always gone after the easier preys instead of what they were tracking. But with long and patient training, having him track a single rabbit while groups of deer were around, they had finally succeeded and Sleet prided himself in it now. But this sudden distraction made Katelyn wonder.

What happened? Want me to check the pants again?

No, something was down there. We were past it too fast to be sure if it was no deer.

Go down, let's investigate.

Angling back to the place the Ice dragon had seen the movement, he descended lightly, his head swivelling around to take in the scenery and try to spot anything out of the ordinary. Katelyn quickly unstrapped her legs from the saddle and leaped down, looking around as well. Taking a few steps around, she suddenly spotted an odd brownish color amongst the grass several paces away. Running to it, Sleet spotted the movement and joined her. Lifting up the thing, it proved to be a torn piece of cloth.

Humans and a fresh scent. It's not the scent we were following, but...

Breathe calmly and deeply, what do you smell?

Sweat, human sweat. Tree bark, a woodchopper?

That is possi-

No, wait! Wait! Let me smell the pants again! Yes, very faint. Who this cloth came from has had contact with the man of the pants.

Think you can follow this scent?

Do worms dance backwards?

Katelyn snorted and pushed against the side of Sleet's neck to start tracking the new scent.

Edited by BlackScorpion7

Malice sighed as they watched Sleet turn and land.

"What are they doing now?"

"Don't doubt them, land next to them."

Malice rolled his eyes and banked towards Sleet and Katelyn and landed next to them.

"This better be good."

"Would you calm yourself. Katelyn what have you found?"

Hearing Malice land behind them, Katelyn quickly turned and motioned for them to be quiet. Sleet in the meanwhile kept walking as silently as a dragon could, stomping through shrubs and between trees. Glancing once at her dragon, Katelyn moved a bit back towards the others, her mind still linked closely to that of the Ice dragon. "We picked up on another scent, which has been near the scent of your man. It comes from something or someone who has just been here, Sleet saw him or her run just a moment ago." A prod of Sleet's mind made Katelyn almost jump. The dragon seemed overexcited, despite the fact he made no sound or movement. Motioning to the others to remain silent once again, she stealthily snuck back to her dragon.

A human youngster, just behind those three toothpicks of pine trees.

Is he hiding?

I don't think so, he hasn't shown any signal he saw us. I think he's hunting.

You have his scent?

Hard to miss this close.

Keep it in mind, we'll follow him from a distance. Stay here and keep an eye on him.

Slinking back to Gelltor, she gave a slight shrug. "A boy carrying a slight scent of your man on him. Sleet thinks he's hunting and doesn't know we're here. My plan is to follow him from a distance, far enough for him not to hear two mature dragons stomping around through the greens. Which means pretty far. But Sleet has his scent and I'm sure we'll be able to follow him. Let's hope he guides us to their camp." And with those words she turned around again and moved back to Sleet. Thinking they could use a Magi with them to try and soften the sounds of their movement, she crawled on Sleet's right front leg, holding on to one of his neckspines. The going was slow and tedious and both Sleet as well as Katelyn were getting rather anxious. It was so easy to let yourself be known to someone when following them at a distance. They could go back on their paces or cross their own path again, making the scents mingle. Sleet could normally easily identify which was the freshest scent, but their were still risks that the boy would come too close and note them. Katelyn kept riding the Ice dragon's front leg, once in a while jumping off to clear some branches or logs out of Sleet's path so he wouldn't make too much sound.

This is getting ridiculous. Why can't we just hunt him?

Because we need him to guide us to their camp. If we hunt him now, he either will flee away from the camp or refuse to tell us anything.

*sigh*

Just a while longer and then you can play with lots of humans. We just can't kill them.

I'm going to need a cow or at least two sheep after this.

Grinning, Katelyn patted Sleet's neck and leaped down once more to pull a log out of the way. Just as she dragged the wood away though, sounds started to filter through. Trying to locate them, she looked at Sleet who gave a single nod.

You hear them through me, I think we're near a camp. The two scents go to it.

Don't go further, their hatchlings might be able to smell us.

Leaping away from Sleet, Katelyn neared Gelltor and Malice. "Sounds up ahead. We're not sure if it is the camp. Your man and the boy from before have gone to the sounds, though we can't say if it's just a woodchoppers camp they passed through or if it is the NDK camp and they are in it. We would have to circle the camp or enter it to find out. If we go closer, chances are big the hatchlings will smell us. My idea is to move away again, take flight as high as we can and then descend quickly upon them so they don't notice us until the last moment."

((Just gonna quickly stick ma nose in. There's a plot twist Kja and I have been planning and it leads up to a large battle scene later on. I'm gonna ask that you guys don't find the camp this time. Maybe find the charries we can kill off instead, or something like that. Also, I'll edit in a post later, promise. I have some time now that exam leave has started, so it'll be as long as it takes for me to drag Taja out of her hole she's slunk into.))

((DS, the plan was for them to find the camp, but not do anything. At least, that is wat 'Gelltor' is planning. To drag them back to the city and get the others to join in an attack on the camp. They would now just find it and go back. Is that still allowed or do I change the post?))

((hmm...so you don't want us to find the camp. Well then i think the best thing to do is to switch scent interests or totally botch the p;lan or something. Personally I don't like picking apart my plans so I will let you guys brainstorm that one happy.gif))

((I'm not sure. Cause if they find the camp they're gonna have to report it and that would ensue a giant attack. Original plan was for Drac to make a serious mistake, concerning Kiara I believe. I'll prod Kja and find out what he thinks. Also, editing in post. I know I've said it before but this time I actually am, once I've located where my charries are.))

The search around the marketplace had proved unsuccessful. Really, Taja had expected nothing different. The escape of the NDK had kindled hope in people's hearts and sure as hell they weren't going to turn in their one chance at liberation. Really, Taja couldn't blame them. She'd seen the conditions many lived in. However, her failure was not what was forefront on Taja's mind. What was occupying her thoughts was trying to figure out a way to get out of everything. Hyro's blackmail, Kiara's blackmail, the conflict of her morals, and her hatred of what she did. The solution to one problem always caused at least one other problem with something else, and no matter what angle she looked on something, there was at least one death in the process. And contrary to what many people believed of Hyro's feared second... she hated killing. Most of Hyro's other knights were sadistic, hating people. In previou times Taja hadn't had much of a problem, she'd simply detached herself from the deed. But now that was getting harder and harder, and the guilt of past crimes kept lurking on the edge of her mind.

She was yanked out of black thoughts when Bramble landed in the courtyard. Cirrus was there waiting, looking snappy which was a sure sign she was worried.

"What happened?!" The skywing demanded the moment her rider dismounted. Blasted Bramble, he'd obviously spoken to her in advance of them returning.

"Nothing," Taja sighed. "So just drop it." She could feel the dragoness about to press her for more information and rounded on her. "I said, drop it." Her tone left no arguing, and even Cirrus knew that it was a good time to back down then. "Where's the force?" she asked as she looked around, swiftly changing the subject.

"Malice and Sleet went with their riders somewhere. Last saw them heading in the direction of the forest. No idea where Ghidorah and Mordred are. Last seen heading in the direction of the city," Cirrus reported, then continued to list names of dragons and riders and their locations.

"Very well. Find something useful to do with yourselves. I'll be in my quarters." Cirrus and Bramble exchanged worried looks as their rider stalked off, body language that of someone who knew it was hopeless but was going to go down fighting.

((Cassie and Kiara can come later. I'll probably wait until the next period of time to post them))

Edited by Dragon Song

Gelltor thought for a long while. He could turn back now but if they returned empty handed his plans would be destroyed. However the boy could well have seen them on their way even though he didn't show it. Rebels weren't always disorganized fools

"Make up your bloody mind already geeze you’re projecting your thoughts to me and its making me dizzy so stop!"

"Apologies Malice."

"We won't follow the scent any farther people. There is to great a risk of a trap Call me paranoid but this seems way too easy Katelyn no one just misses two dragons flying through the skies in a forest with foliage this thin."

Gelltor gestured to the toothpick pine trees to make his point.

"No worries we still have the pants and their rather invasive scent so I am sure you could use that again if need be. Lets head back and see what they others have found. Oh and if you could keep the whole pants thing quiet that would b good. I don't think revealing our hand this early is a good idea. I don't trust everyone in the castle. There are too many people with something on the line that the NDK can get back for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the NDK had a spy or two of their own right in the royal court."

Gelltor mounted Malice again and the pair turned and began to walk away slowly. He of course was more concerned about Taja finding out about their actions too early. He would hold it secret until the opportune moment.

((Sorry, can't post today. Been too busy at work and won't have access to internet starting in 1 minute. So I'll reply on Monday!!))