superguy16

Warriors: Return to the forest

Tawnysky set a claw on another bone, studying the grooves and chips in it. Why would ThunderClan leave such an obvious mark on our territory? Unless... it's a ploy. Silkstar had passed on both her cool personality and wariness to her apprentice. Tawnysky shut her eyes briefly, remembering one assessment- she'd been left in the forest alone for one night. She'd fought off a fox and then become a warrior. She opened her eyes and very gently closed her jaws around a bone. ThunderClan scent engulfed her and she almost was sick, but she carefully fit her teeth in the little marks. They don't match, but... there's something wrong. Tawnysky dropped the bone and swiped her tongue around her teeth. "I found something," she announced. "The teethmarks- they're uneven. It's possible a badger or some sort set us up." Her head swung around and her eyes touched down on Addermouth. He's... off. He's not right. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

Firespirit sighed. "I found her, and she was badly ingured." the she cat wrinkled her nose in dicust. "She reaked of badger, so I took her to the medicinecat den. He fixed her all up. I don't know what came over me, but i do know I was going to nurse her, and thats that." Firespirit licked the kit in between her head. She made a nest out of moss. Sunlight gently stramed into the den. Markedkit's fur shined like millions of colorful stars. "She WILL make an amazing warrior," The red cat's voice was sturn, as if she excpected a comment about the kit's bloodline. Although no cat in their right mind would challenge her on rouges. They all very well knew where she came from. And how sensitive she was about it. Her green ryes lovingly looked her kit. Then she looked at Flamespark, they were filled with love. He should have known. She was so grumpy because she all that love to give and no one to give it to. Now she had someone, more like more than one. And it was as if the layer of ice around her heart thawed.

Owlflare nodded and then turned to see who had come in and saw that it was Gorsetail. "You're welcome," she said in reply with a small smile. "Did you have any luck with finding your apprentice?" She figured that if she had, Spottedpaw would have come back with her but she wanted to hear it from the medicine cat's own lips. Maybe if she did find Spottedpaw the apprentice would just be in the clearing or something, she thought to herself.

"I saw Spottedpaw talking wtih Tawnysky, I'll ask Spottedpaw why later. It's not my concern, nor is it polite to eavesdrop." Gorsetail paused "Though I did notice that Addermouth seemed...off, glazed like his mind was somewhere else. I'm alittle worried about him." She admitted "He's all the family I have left, a younger sibling of my mother's"

Addermouth was drawn out of his line of thought when he heard Tawnkysky's voice again "The teethmarks- they're uneven. It's possible a badger or some sort set us up."

No, This wasn't a badger's work; Magpie said nothing about them going near Shadowclan, Zero's son was a odd, yet welcomed ploy to get Raptorpaw taken care of with out getting my paws wet. So to speak. His eyes were still off but he looked at the bones. Part of him wanted to speak instictivly in defense of Magpie. But he reminded himself that Shadowclan's leader had no idea of the elderly loner's exsistance. That was when he saw Tawknysky looking away from him. She suspects something, this isn't good. If her body language lets others know I'll be in danger, must be careful mustn't ruin everything. He thought back to Silverfur's scent her gentle voice just everything about her. Not yet any way, I have to get away. Now more than ever to tell Magpie. "A badger did not set up anything Tawknysky, there is no Badger scent on those bones. Only cat. If you're correct about a ploy a cat killed this prey, and a cat set it here." He knew, from many trips to Zero's den in leaf-bare when she and Magpie had huddled together for warmth exactly what the scent was.

Owlflare nodded in reply to what she said about Spottedpaw and then listened to her concerns about Addermouth. He maybe related to her but that doesn't mean that he's good, she thought to herself. I know how evil he is but I'm not going to tell Gorsetail that. That might upset her and then she'll be angry at me for making such an accusation. "I'm sure he's fine," she said in reply after awhile in a way that she hoped sounded reassuring. "Maybe he just has a lot of stuff on his mind right now that he needs to think about."

Gorsetail bowed her looking at the floor of her den "I just hope nothing bad happens to him. I don't want to have to pick between family and the clan." I don't even know which I would "When Spottedpaw gets back the two of us are going to go get the herbs that I'm low on, maybe I'll give Addermouth something to calm his mind, might help somewhat.."

Hollowheart nodded If only that would work....It's not good that he's related to her. I know that some cats might have a hard time belivieing the truth before we can prove it. Just meets Gorsetail will most of all "Well if there's nothing else you need Gorsetail me and Owlflare can leave"

Edited by Sorrowgrave

((wee five more pages till page 700! user posted image))

Owlflare nodded along with Hollowheart in reply to all that she said. She then got back to her feet when she heard what Hollowheart said and then sat beside him as she waited for her reply. She liked spending time with the medicine cat but she just didn't like to be in the den for too long. She wasn't sure why that was but yeah. Her tail moved to cover her paws while she waited for Gorsetail's reply.

Gorsetail nodded. She looked back over the herbs, for a second her eyes seemed glazed, the same way Addermouth's got when ever he is lost in thought. "I'll tell you two if I need anything else, stay out of trouble alright?" I have a terrible feeling. Oh mother what would you do? I have to keep Addermouth of out trouble, yet if I can tell he's bothered by something..... This isn't good

Hollowheart noticed the look on their medicinecat's face. He knew enough that Starclan visited cats, having experienced Owlflare telling him what Cottonfang had to say often enough did that . I wonder if that's what happened to Gorsetail, being a medicinecat she has a stronger connection

(no Gorstail is 100% not a evil cat, she's just torn between loyalties to the clan and to Addermouth)

The skin around Tawnysky's eyes tightened, crumpling the fur on her face. She kept her voice neutral as she meowed, "You seem to know a lot about this. I should know that there it's possible a badger killed this prey." She forced her expression to relax. "A badger may have also killed a rogue who was on ThunderClan territory and took its scent and rubbed it these bones- but that would be very astute of a badger." Her eyes looked fractured, like she was thinking a million things but couldn't make sense of one thought. "Well, Addderrrrrrmmouuuutttthhhh," she mewed, drawing the name out. "I think you may want to take a closer look at these bones. It's all yours." A shiver ran over Tawnysky. It was so hard to play her cards right as leader! Just stay calm and collected, like Silkstar. Silkstar is always prepared.

Addermouth kept a straight face but he could sense his leader's turmoil She doesn't know what to make of this. a thousand thoughts at once "Tawnysky it's almost like you believe a badger is intelligent" He moved one of the bones over"See how the teeth marks are small? If a badger had done this those would be larger , broken this time of year the only thing on their minds is getting as much freshkill as possible, these would be broken from the badger getting the marrow inside the bone. Otherwise it's wasteful to them. It would take a awful amount of planning for one of those creatures to know not to finish it's meal , now If you'll excuse me I'm going to go see if I can find this..Badger"

(please note that in real life I have NO idea what I'm talking about and this just sounds convincing. I'm trying to get him to Magpie so Lighting can have Heartpaw appear)

Edited by Sorrowgrave

[You mean Lightning, right? :3 And okay. :3]

Tawnysky widened her eyes, trying to keep them from narrowing in suspicion. "Well, how smart you are, Addermouth. If it is your pleasure, then look for that baaaadgerrrrrrr." She turned to Echospirit. "If you could, Echospirit, perhaps you could also try to fit your teeth on the marks on the bones. I want a second opinion." The young warrior nodded and settled herself next to the pile and started to check the bones. I remember when she was still a young kit and I played catch with her... it's amazing to see a kit grow into a capable, respected warrior.

A badger that doesn't exist, suspect something all you want Tawnysky, the only death that will bring is your own. If you were half the leader Silkstar was you'd keep your pesky nose out of my affairs. Silkstar knew more than well enough to do that. Addermouth bowed his head cast a knowing glance to Yewpaw before vanishing into the underbrush in their territory.

His paws carried him along the trail Addermouth always used to get to Magpie's terratiroy. He stopped once getting there and looked inside Zero's den . All he could scent was the still infant badger cub fast asleep. Stepping back he went inside of the old twoleg nest "Magpie" Addermouth watched as the thin white form he was addressing moved coming over "What Addermouth, oh it is good to see you again" She meowed "Just taking a little rest but it can wait" . He nodded "We're in trouble, Tawnysky suspects something, if she gets too hot on to the plan we could both be at risk." Magpie's eyes got wide "What do you suggest we do?" He paused for a moment. "It'd be terrible to take the life of a leader. But worse a offense for said leader to ruin all our moons of planning. I'm going to try poisoning her if she doesn't let up and stick her muzzle in a hole , or completely ignore me like Silkstar did." Magpie blinked a couple times before speaking. "Long as I don't have to sic a badger on anyone ...." He walked over closer to the white she-cat and licked her fur. "It's alright Magpie, I'll take care of all of it this time. Which reminds me, was Zero or any of her cubs in Thunderclan terriatory?" Magpie shock her head "No, her son that was in Shadowclan met up with me by the lake a few nights ago after pulling brambles out of his fur. He said that he was living up near Windclan. No badgers that I know of are in Thunderclan currently. A few from time to time but most abandoned the area years ago after nearly destroying that camp."

This was all Addermouth needed to hear. "Thank you for your time Magpie, when I go back to camp is it alright if I take some more Catmint with me?" Magpie nodded stepping outside of her den plucking a mouthful setting it at his feet "This'll do, I hope your neice Gorsetail appericates it" Addermouth nodded "She always does, and so do I my friend."I knew it I knew it

Owlflare nodded and then said to Hollowheart, "Come on. I'm sure we can figure out something to do while in camp." She then walked out of Gorsetail's den and into the camp's clearing. She went over to the fresh-kill pile and got a mouse out of the pile and started to eat it. As she ate her meal, her attention was on the medicine cat den's entrance.

Streampelt returned to camp with three pieces of prey: a squirrel, a mouse, and a thrush. The squirrel was plump and she thought that it would be good for the kits or maybe the queens. She set them down on the pile and then laid down beside it, licking her fur a bit. Some of her fur was sticking up and she wanted those parts of her fur to be flat again. As she continued to do that, she wondered what else she should do today other then hunt.

Edited by Dragonpelt

[xd.png Adder is being so mean towards Tawny! I'm not saying you have to stop it; he's just so mean! Anyhow, Silk did poke her nose into a lot of things, just so you know. tongue.gif She just did it like Tawny- in her own head and privately. Tawny is basically a different version of Silk, not to mention younger.]

Tawnysky tilted her head back. The sun was starting to set. Her stomach growled. Great StarClan, I haven't eaten all day. She sighed, wondering if the squirrel that had been on the fresh--kill pile was still there. Probably not. The coming and goings of ShadowClan most likely carried away the tastiest prey in their bellies. Tawnysky sighed again, softly. She glanced down where Echospirit was crouched over the bones. She nudged Echospirit gently. "Did you find anything?" she asked.

Echospirit glanced upwards. "Nope," she meowed. "Just the same thing as last time. However..." She lowered her voice. "There is no doubt that these marks are cat-made. No badger was ever involved. Addermouth is lying- or whatever he said." Her eyes glinted with emotion, but she quickly smothered it. She'd learned to conceal her emotions well- especially the love she felt for Ninjablade and the growing affection for Addermouth. No matter what, you cannot love a traitor, she told her self absentmindedly as her mind wandered to Addermouth, as it often did.

Tawnysky nodded, amber eyes narrowed. "Well then, go and rest. I need a break as well. If you wish, you can help me later. I have a few other experiments to conduct with these bones." She flicked her tail imperiously, dismissing Echospirit. Tawnysky watched as Echospirit padded off, obviously relieved that she was now off duty. It seems she's taken a liking to Addermouth. Her eyes light up fractionally when she sees him. I have my suspicions about him though... he may be an enemy to ShadowClan. I know Echospirit well- better than almost anyone, except maybe her brother, Jet and her late mentor, Featherfrost. I still wonder sometimes how she died... Her paws carried her to the fresh-kill pile and picked out a small thrush and took her back to her den, lost in thought.

(Silkstar never did interact with Adder though. That's what I was talking about. And yea I figured. but she's meddling. and making him nervous he just shows it differently than others do. Maybe Echospirit could follow his trail. After Lighting has her cat become Adder's Thunderclan spy Echo could run into him as he was coming back with the catmint and he tells her why he was protecting the badgers, and thus Magpie and about how he was planning on helping her get her wish before the elderly she cat death)

Lightningstreak watched Tawnysky come back into camp, she noticed how Shadowclan's leader as Tawnysky walked into her den with a thrush. I'll go talk to her soon. Something's up she seemed distracted like something heavy was on her mind.

"wait Addermouth" Magpie wailed walking after him"Why will it be safe for me to come with you to Shadowclan?" She asked a begging tone in her voice. Addermouth dropped the Catmint. He didn't turn her way or anything just replied plainly "The next time you see me. I'll have come to take you there Magpie do not worry. Just let me handle things. Perhaps with out killing Tawnysky. Yes that would work. Then I can take you to the clan. You'll love Gorsetail, our Elders are always telling stories I'm sure yours about living among Badgers would keep them interested longer than a fat rabbit." he said with a purr trying to comfort Magpie. "Just relax and take care of your self alright? You can come to my clan soon."

[Okay! That would get them started to know each other a bit better. *wink wink* xd.png]

Echospirit swiped her tongue around her teeth, swallowing the last of the prey juices. That squirrel was delicious, she thought wistfully. She looked down at her paws. Well, she didn't feel tired yet. She considered her choices- she could sleep now and volunteer for night watch, she could hunt, she could patrol, or she could follow that badger trail that Addermouth was following. I'll go help Addermouth. And talk with him for a bit. If he found a badger, he'll probably need help. Echospirit stretched, then charged out of camp at a gentle, loping pace. She cast her mind out, faintly sensing Addermouth's trail. There's no badger underneath it, she noted. Maybe Addermouth was going on a roundabout route. Echospirit shrugged and ran on. She could taste Addermouth's scent getting stronger. She could smell another cat too, pretty strong, but... it was probably an old loner that had passed by recently. She dismissed it, focusing on Addermouth's growing presence.

Magpie was purring now she rested her head on him."Thanks Addermouth" she said feeling very forfilled. Magpie had wanted to feel like she belonged for a long time. And Addermouth had promised that his next vist would bring her that. If I'm asleep, by Starclan please don't wake me up

Addermouth's whisker's twitched he felt something warm in his chest.The relationship he'd had with Magpie was the oldest he had. she was a very good friend and he knew no matter what happened would stay loyal to him even in dying breaths, behind the scent he'd followed and that of the Catmint Addermouth could smell another Shadowclan cat. Don't be tawnysky don't be Tawnysky Please don't be Tawnysky. Magpie could smell the scent too now she backed up away . Sense the white she-cat had a blue eye she was deaf on that side of her head strange scents and sounds always frightened her there was nothing he could do "Easy it's probably nothing."

Echospirit almost was quivering with excitement. She could have a few minutes alone with Addermouth and talk to him, just by themselves. She shouldered her way through a screen of ferns and came across Addermouth. "Addermouth!" she exclaimed, letting a just a touch of happiness seep into her voice- but then her senses caught up to her. A she-cat was crouched beside Addermouth, resting her head on his. "Addermouth," Echospirit repeated, erasing the momentary affection in her voice. She channelled her inner rogue into her voice and hissed, "What are you doing? You'd better hope you can explain, or I'll report you to Tawnysky."

[At this point, remember, Echo's not entirely sure she'll completely support Addermouth because she doesn't know the motive for his actions.]

Not Tawnysky..but Echospirit Addermouth thought sighing."I was wondering when this would happen. " he turned around careful not to step on the catmint. "This is Magpie, she's a Loner and a very old friend of mine from when I was a apprentice I promised her one day I'd take her back to Shadowclan so she could live surrounded by cats instead of Badgers. Magpie speaks Badger which is why I was worried when Tawnysky suggested that the bones were placed by a Badger.I knew that I had to get away fast and check on Magpie. She's been a great help if it wasn't for her more of our clanmates would be dead than I can count. For moons if not years she's been guarding a patch of Catmint that grows nearby in a Twoleg nest that's been abandoned. She's also why we haven't lost kits to badger raids for a very long time. She's friends with a Badger sow who's territory over laps with ours. Haven't you ever found a vole or other freshkill laying out like it was put there on purpose? We've had friends in high places. Other than Starclan Echospirit. Magpie and her badger-speak are one of those"

He let what he was saying sink in. It was the longest Addermouth had said in a long time that was the truth

Echospirit thought it over, though she kept her face in a faint snarl. "Well..." She smiled faintly. "I suppose you're right. Now that I think about it, many of us owed our lives to catmint one time or another. It's also true that badgers have not taken the life of a single one of our cats for a long time." She kneaded the ground, head down. "I forget my manners," she mewed suddenly, her head shooting up. She padded forward, the perfect image of a docile kit. "Please to meet you, Magpie," she meowed, touching noses with the elderly she-cat. She turned back to Addermouth. "Care to explain a bit more?" she purred, her violet-and-green eyes piercing, but inquisitive and at the moment, not filled with anger and menace.

"What else would you like me to explain?" Addermouth asked taking notice of the coloration of her eyes."Seems I owe you that much."

Magpie just nodded her own greeting. She was still unsure what to make of Echospirit but if Addermouth was alright with her so was she. Addermouth was right. Telling Zero to keep her friends away from Shadowclan did work. She's poplaur with other badgers and wouldn't even be alive if it wasn't for me... Seems a lot of cats wouldn't be either.

Hollowheart nodded following Owlflare. He wasn't hungry so left the freshkill pile alone."I wouldn't mind a good rest in the warriors den myself." He said looking up at the sky."Cloudy, you think it'll snow ? I hope we still have a few more days with out that atleast... ahh well it should just make prey easier to spot if they come out of their burrows.

(not yet Scott, wait till I say )

Edited by Sorrowgrave

Auttumnfall walked over to the fresh-kill pile, she was thinking of the fairly vivid dream she had just now. auttumfall dreamed she was in the Thunderclan camp, but instead of thunderclan warriors there was a band of badgers led by a cat figure that she couldn't make out due to the blizzard-like conditions. for some reason Auttumnfall felt like she should pick out all the white cats in the clan and keep an eye on them. she felt a sense of doom in the air but she was not sure why yet. Auttumfall saw Hollowheart and decided to go over and talk to him. "hello Hollowheart!"

Owlflare nodded and finished eating her meal. "It looks like it will," she said in reply to his question. She then nodded again in reply to what he said about the prey coming out of their burrows and it being easier to catch them. "Want to take a nap with me in the warriors den?" she asked him as she got back up to her paws. She wouldn't go to the den yet until she got his reply.

"Let me talk to Auttomfall first, you go on a head Owlflare" Hollowheart said looking at her."It's not often my sister wants to talk to me." He said the last part flicking his tail in amusement at his own one-sided joke. After this go into the Warriors den and get some sleep.

Gorsetail headed from her den to the elder's den she walked inside"Hello Dapplefur" She bowed her head respectfully to the old Queen who streched , she'd just woken up from a nap "Ahh Gorsepaw...or is it tail now? I can never remeber... Come to hear another story young one?" Gorsetail purred."Actually ,yes I want to hear another story about Icebreath when you two were apprentices." Mousetail raised his head. "Your grandmother eh? Ah go a head and tell Dapplefur, I doubt Fangtongue would mind us telling a little more to Icebreath's own granddaughter." Dapplefur nodded. "She had very pretty blue eyes, Addermouth is almost her spitting image. But for all her beauty she was cold. Icebreath's name fit her like a glove. I'd hate to be any cat foolish enough to meet that black warrior on the battlefield. She was my best friend, I was the younger of the two of us. She was several moons older than me. I reminber her first litter, one kit, Waterkit your mother Gorsepaw." Gorsetail sat down inside of the den. Tail she said to herself but kept listening. if she was going to have a good idea at why Addermouth was in danger she needed to go back into family history. "As I was saying...her first litter was just Waterkit. For a little while I mentored her after hers died. Now ironically the two of us were queens together for my first and her second litter..." The elder grew soulem "there was bitter weather that winter. I lost my kits but She kept hers. Icebreath had had two kits , a she-cat Stillkit and a younger one Adderkit I stayed in the nursey until new-leaf helping her raise the scrawny little thing." A slight smile spread it's self over the elder's features. "I still think he's a little confused over which one of us was his mother. Once he was old enough I mentored him, just like his sister. Had another litter once he was made a warrior and he turns around and mentors my son." Dapplefur looked up. "Who now watches his daughter Yewpaw from the light of silverpelt." Gorsetail looked at her. Realization setting in I don't get it ...Nothing Dapplefur said would explain why I'm worried about Addermouth. She knew his mother but that's it. Something doesn't fit in right[/color]

Edited by Sorrowgrave

Autumnfall faced Hollowheart, "you mean HALF-sister" Autumnfall sat down, " whats with you and Owlflare? i never see you apart..." Autumnfall, even though she really didn't like her half-brother she wanted to talk to someone about her dream, even if it was Hollowheart... Auttumnfall felt a thorn in her pad, she must have picked it up on her way to the fresh-kill pile. "oww" autumnfall whispered to herself but Hollowheart obviously heard her.