PokeCat

ANSWERED:The Traveling Rooster

From a discussion in the discord server that came as a joke stemmed a new idea into my brain. 

I always thought it would be interesting if there were something more dynamic on the site. We were joking about a recent bug with the market, and that bug was something about a market stat costing an insane amount of shards, but also just enough shards that there are enough in circulation on the website that if we all pooled together, everyone could buy one.

Spoiler

image.png.c4cc1c5f047d2b6e3f64bd6f414197b5.png

Then came an interesting discussion of all of us joking "what if the stat rotated on our scrolls, visiting a new scroll every hour/day/week" or something. Of course, these were all jokes in good fun, however, it got me thinking of a silly little idea. 

What if there was a little "event" type deal, where once a day, your scroll had a chance to be visited by TJ's Rooster? Now, I know that sounds silly and unneeded, but I thought it would be something cute and fun. It could sit at the top of your scroll, and even be visible to others who visited your scroll! It also DOESN'T have to be the rooster of course, I just liked that idea the most, and it was even suggested by TJ during the conversation. I don't know how feasible this would be to code, but I imagine it would/could work similarly to your chances of seeing the graveyard. 

In addition to this, it could be a fun way to do something silly like:

• Have something new and random to look forward to every now and again, something to just bring a little smile to your face and something to enjoy. 
  • Potentially have an actual mechanic, such as a small chance (or guaranteed chance) to breed with one of your chickens, leaving you with a chicken egg!
    • To balance this, this could POTENTIALLY be treated like a market egg, where it is NOT tradeable, but could be abandoned. (This doesn't have to be the case, can just be a suggestion.)
    • There could be an option to be able to select which chicken the rooster breeds with for multiple owners. It could work similar to a prize, where you could claim it when you have space to prevent auto abandoning. 
      • In addition, instead, it could instead just NOT breed with your chickens if you are egglocked.
      • Another option could be that you could select of your chickens were bred with at all. It would not be a requirement. 
  • Have a new profile badge associated with it something along the lines of "Visited By The Rooster".
    • A suggestion was provided the badge could also be called "Got Clucky".
Spoiler

image.thumb.png.36a9575e1a65e8002aac5056370227b1.png

Your scroll could be visited multiple times, perhaps, but it would all be random chance of being visited. Overall, I think it would add something cute and positive to the site, and it was just something I thought of that was added onto by TJ during conversation. 

Here's a small potential mockup I made for it. I just thought it would be fun! Let me know your thoughts! image.thumb.png.c8e4ed0e0313251dea89226176cec6e2.png

Edited by PokeCat
grammar, additional ideas!

this is hella cute!

I 100% support the idea of a wandering rooster who could mysteriously impregnate our Chickens. 

Oh that is adorable! 100% support from me too. :) Birds are always welcome on my scroll.

Chickens lay eggs SO FREQUENTLY compared to most egg-laying creatures. I think if any Dragcave creature should be able to spawn new eggs it should be chickens. 

This idea is super cute and I support it. I also would support just the traveling rooster leaving a badge behind.

Edited by BringsTheSnow

Supporting this, it's an adorable idea!! Even if it didn't have the mechanic (though I would like it)

It would amazing and fitting for TJ's rooster to be able to bless the first ever creature on my scroll 💜 even without the breeding bit it's such a cute and fun addition

bonus points if the badge is called Got Clucky (shoutout to animetriplicate who suggest clucky first)

This is adorable, I would love this.

Maybe clicking on the rooster could take the player to a standard breeding page, so you can decide for yourself if you'd like to have a chicken egg and which chicken to breed? That way, you don't have to worry about being egglocked when the egg is bred, as you'll have time to abandon another egg or pass something on for a friend to hold + you can decide which chicken you want the resulting egg to be related to! :)

I would vote for a 100% guaranteed egg that is trade-locked. No difficulty and no real "value" obtained, just a fun little joke feature!

Ooh! I'd love to be able to breed my one and only adult chicken! 

Support. This sounds cute. Bonus points if the mysteriously bred chicken egg grows up to be....a rooster! 

Oh my, this is an adorable idea! 
I tend to freeze chicks, but for this I would love to have more adults ready(?)

Getting a ‘rooster visit’ badge or an actual rooster hatching from the union would be beyond awesome!

Since the rooster visit is rather special, won’t mind having ‘1 per scroll’ limit for rooster egg just like leetle trees.

Edited by Eiren

I would welcome the rooster to my scroll any time! It would be fun if the badge also showed the date of his visit.

It's cute if you see it but this whole breeding mechanic sounds like raffle dragons but even more exclusive, along with egglocking/auto abandoning an egg/hatchie.

I think the idea of the traveling rooster is cute! I definitely think the breeding should be optional if it is implemented, but otherwise I support this!

13 hours ago, AzureWyrmsblood said:

It's cute if you see it but this whole breeding mechanic sounds like raffle dragons but even more exclusive, along with egglocking/auto abandoning an egg/hatchie.

There was an idea also included in the original post that would allow them to work like raffle dragons where you claim it when you're ready and not egg locked. :)

The breeding mechanic was also TJ's idea, so it would be entirely up to him how it worked, but as @Eiren suggested, if it were really a problem, they could be limited to 1 per scroll if nessisary.

This type of thing isn't meant to add any insane value to the game, it's meant to be something fun to look forward to. I don't see them as being "raffle dragons but more exclusive". 

17 hours ago, AzureWyrmsblood said:

In my eyes it's different for a couple of key reasons.

1- the prize raffle gives an exclusive dragon breed; this would give a chicken egg.

2 cb prizes can grant a user a substantial amount of trade wealth; this would give an untradable unbreedable egg.

3) the raffle gives a handful of eggs each month. There's nothing to limit the rooster to one scroll a day, even, so we're talking multiplies of 30 each month.

Plus, there's no reason to believe TJ wouldn't re-use existing code where he can, so these eggs could and probably should utilize the same "collect (breed) in 30 days or lose it" mechanism as raffle prizes. Either through you choosing the mother, or by randomly selecting one and if it picks a chicken you don't like, just don't claim the egg!

I support this idea!  I think the more chickens you have, the more likely you are to be visited by the rooster.  😄

Edited by littleblackdog

33 minutes ago, littleblackdog said:

I support this idea!  I think the more chickens you have, the more likely you are to be visited by the rooster.  😄

XD He'd spend all his time on your scroll then!

I do think this is a cute idea although I am not sure about breeding.

46 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

XD He'd spend all his time on your scroll then!

I don't have a problem with that...but I bet he could put a limit on how many times or how often a rooster visits one particular scroll.