Fuzzbucket

ANSWERED:Fertility page auto enters user name - but I'm now past caring...

The title says it all - but this came up in a help thread:

When you go to use fertility, your scroll name is auto-entered in the search box.

image.png.6dd738a77e4281976b336607e3de5e67.png

I thought it was just me when I posted about this ages ago - but it seems not. Can this please be "undone" ? It's a real pain.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Yes, please. It's annoying to have to delete my name and then put the new name in.

The browser also seems to think whatever entered name is a username, but that's probably a different issue.

It's an unfortunate side-effect of browsers auto-completing what it thinks is a login form because of the password field.

It does seem like there's some ways of preventing that behaviour by using the autocomplete attribute on the field or adding a hidden dummy password field to the form.

Is this a Dragon Cave issue or a browser issue? If it's caused by a user's browser auto-filling forms then I don't think there's anything that DC can do about it.

It's a DC issue. I'm not the only one - and I have also tried it in SEVEN browsers...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'm on mobile (Samsung Internet) and I have this problem persisting even after updating browser, clearing cache/cookies, etc.

I rarely use fertility, but it is annoying to have to delete my name (though I do have a dragon that has my scroll name on it) when I do want to use it.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's a DC issue. I'm not the only one - and I have also tried it in SEVEN browsers...

I think it's a bit of both. All browsers should follow recommendations and official specs, so it makes sense they would all have the same issue.

In many browsers you can even disable auto-complete. But there are ways of instructing or 'tricking' the browser to not auto-complete and I think if it's doable, it should be changed. It would be a good QOL improvement.

I totally agree. My primary browser is NOT set to autocomplete anyway - actually nor is ANY of my browsers And as it happened to me on a brand new lappie recently, a device which had never seen DC in its life, it can't even be a cookie thing....

ETA ALSO - when I use fertility and put in the dragon's name and that - afterwards I always get "Do you want to save the password ?" Um - NO....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

This is almost certainly not a DC-issue, at least not completely, auto-complete is set on browser side as far as I'm aware. I've never experienced an auto-filled Fertility bar, that has never happened to me across all 3 browsers I've used in the past year. Which makes me think it's a browser thing and the browser settings for auto-fill needs to be tinkered with.

On the other hand, it could be a *computer*-side issue, if you have internet-specific settings on your computer that apply to all browsers. 

For what it's worth, as far as I know deleting cookies/cache may not work with this issue, and even updating/re-installing the browser may not fix it, if the problem setting is tied to an external account (for example, a few months ago I deleted and re-installed Chrome because the newest version was buggy for me, and despite deliberately wiping my computer of all files Chrome-related my bookmarks/settings were still there when I reinstalled).

whoever's issue/fault it is, the browser recognized the form as a user password form and I think that's what caused it to autocomplete and ask if you want to save the new password. It is infinitely annoying, not something I couldn't take though, but I feel like something probably could be done on the programming side of DC and since you guys brought it up I would love to have it changed

I'm curious whether this is a scroll theme issue rather than a browser issue, because the default theme goes pretty far out of its way to disable autocomplete.

This is part of the fertility screen with the site default theme:

image.png.ca0a8c9ddd988e3cdc3a77dfffe5fc4c.png

Both the form and the action confirmation field have autocomplete set to off, which is a web standard. Users can override this for username/password fields, but there's nothing on the page that suggests this is a login form. There's also a data-lpignore attribute on the dragon search box, which is a custom attribute that tells the LastPass password manager not to autofill that field with a user's password.

For the people experiencing this issue, what browser and what site theme are you using?

15 minutes ago, AGYK said:

For the people experiencing this issue, what browser and what site theme are you using?

im using default skin, on chrome

Quick screenshot: yes, I see the things you highlight in inspect too, but my browser is still autocompleting

1692994841_ScreenShot2021-11-28at4_56_39PM.thumb.png.c48bc2e63d99e348e8f266b288e7aa41.png

Edited by Moriaty

I don't know what the bleep it is - - I just want it to stoppit ! And I'm not alone.

@HeatherMarie How do you explain my brand new lappie that has a browser that saw DC for its first time ever - and still did it ? It had never seen any passwords of anywhere, and so had nothing to autocomplete WITH. It had never even met ME before ! It could only have seen the user name of the scroll I had just logged into - for the first time ever on that device.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't know what the bleep it is - - I just want it to stoppit ! And I'm not alone.

@HeatherMarie How do you explain my brand new lappie that has a browser that saw DC for its first time ever - and still did it ? It had never seen any passwords of anywhere, and so had nothing to autocomplete WITH. It had never even met ME before ! It could only have seen the user name of the scroll I had just logged into - for the first time ever on that device.

Does that browser have any type of auto-fill options turned on? If you used it to log into your DC account, you must have typed your username, right? So if it has auto-fill settings turned on it would be able to auto-fill the Fertility box with the user name you already put in, regardless of how new the laptop is.

Edited by HeatherMarie

1 hour ago, Moriaty said:

im using default skin, on chrome

Oh cool, I see it. You need some pretty specific conditions, and this looks like a browser bug to me.

Action security needs to be set to Password Verification and the browser has to have your user info saved. Then there is a password element on the page, the browser tries to autofill it, and then the browser dumps the username into the input field just before the password input. Super clumsy implementation and arguably a bug in the way Chrome picks up on autofill elements, because there's nothing in that search element's code to even remotely suggest it's a username or email address.

This isn't DC's fault, but if TJ wants to put in a workaround, a dummy hidden username element just before the password element might soak up the extra autofill data. I found some other suggestions here, although some of those come with their own downsides. Marking the password element as autocomplete="current-password" is a neat one as long as there's meaningful browser support for it.

1 hour ago, AGYK said:

I found some other suggestions here

I read the answers given in the link and one of them said this"First, Chrome ignores autocomplete="off" in its parsing".

Okay I see why this happens now

Just tried safari (screenshot down below), even though I have the same passwords saved there, it didn't autocomplete. Then when I click the key icon to use a saved password it also didn't fill in the username in the filter dragon block. Chrome issue it is then...

Spoiler

2146687158_ScreenShot2021-11-28at8_53_48PM.thumb.png.3ad71deba7a53a677fab0182f0e703e3.png

1354164070_ScreenShot2021-11-28at8_55_34PM.png.be8cc887e0d2b2696dd6983583f87519.png

834099913_ScreenShot2021-11-28at8_53_59PM.thumb.png.8031130213bedbc2864b3ae826d371f1.png

TJ already added the work-around of adding an X to the field so you can clear it ages ago. It's one extra click, it's not that difficult.

image.png.c218db40607fd008e7ef17cc598e09fe.png

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you explain my brand new lappie that has a browser that saw DC for its first time ever - and still did it ? It had never seen any passwords of anywhere, and so had nothing to autocomplete WITH. It had never even met ME before ! It could only have seen the user name of the scroll I had just logged into - for the first time ever on that device.

How on earth did you log in on a new browser without typing in your username and password?

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you explain my brand new lappie that has a browser that saw DC for its first time ever - and still did it ? It had never seen any passwords of anywhere, and so had nothing to autocomplete WITH. It had never even met ME before ! It could only have seen the user name of the scroll I had just logged into - for the first time ever on that device.

I think you probably chose to save your username and password when logging in. I just tried on my phone - it has never downloaded chrome before - I chose not to sync my passwords with anything, then I log on to dragon cave and chose "never save password for this site" when asked. Obviously when I log out and try to log back in I'd need to type the password out again, but when I tried to use fertility it didn't autocomplete either. I think chrome's way of autocompleting is that it takes any password you've saved for the site and pop that into the fields...so if you have anything saved there you're screwed

20 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

TJ already added the work-around of adding an X to the field so you can clear it ages ago. It's one extra click, it's not that difficult.

I've experienced issues with that though, there are times I forget and click the dragon in the box first, resulting in the no match screen, and if I then go to click x to remove the name, the fertility gets stuck at the no match screen and refuses to give me my dragon list back. 

Like this

181522621_ScreenShot2021-11-28at9_26_33PM.thumb.png.b04d230a1c60d8e4fe1471ec9c51b2e6.png

Update: you know what, I just tried without even clicking on any dragon in the list. I clicked on the text box and then the x and the no match screen is still stuck. Then I tried clicking on a blank place and same thing happened. In fact, the x wouldn't show up unless I click somewhere on the page! It works and show my dragons if I manually remove my username though.

Edited by Moriaty

2 hours ago, Moriaty said:

Chrome issue it is then...

Probably a Chromium issue. Chromium is the codebase behind Chrome, but it also powers a bunch of other browsers. "The Chromium codebase is widely used. Microsoft Edge, Samsung Internet, Opera, and many other browsers are based on the code." - Wikipedia (other Chromium-based browsers are listed later in the wikipedia article). We already saw at least one report of the Samsung Internet browser having this issue.

I have used Dragon Cave on Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Samsung Internet, and Safari, and I have never experienced this problem with the Fertility search box auto-filling. I always have my browsers set to not remember passwords and not autofill forms. Don't know if that info helps any.

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Does that browser have any type of auto-fill options turned on? If you used it to log into your DC account, you must have typed your username, right? So if it has auto-fill settings turned on it would be able to auto-fill the Fertility box with the user name you already put in, regardless of how new the laptop is.

NONE of my browser on ANY of my devices is allowed to autofill. Me iz paranoid !

7 hours ago, Moriaty said:

I think you probably chose to save your username and password when logging in. I just tried on my phone - it has never downloaded chrome before - I chose not to sync my passwords with anything, then I log on to dragon cave and chose "never save password for this site" when asked. Obviously when I log out and try to log back in I'd need to type the password out again, but when I tried to use fertility it didn't autocomplete either. I think chrome's way of autocompleting is that it takes any password you've saved for the site and pop that into the fields...so if you have anything saved there you're screwed

Nope - I had never used that device before - password was saved when I logged in - that very day, sure - but NOT user name - and it doesn't happen for any other actions (I have that set to enter password - and it doesn't.

Never mind - I was just SO with the OP in Help... (For the record, my primary browser is Opera, but I also have FF, seamonkey, Chrome (HATE IT) Pale Moon, Brave, Vivaldi, and I still have iE but don't use it.)

I have never experienced this even though I do have the "auto-fill usernames and passwords" option on. Instead, my browser isn't saving "forms and searches information", and I've also set it to partially clean the browsing history every time I close it. No idea if that could have any effect, though, maybe not. But I use Firefox (in Finnish, sorry for my possibly awkward translations, hah).

I've never experienced this or heard of it until this thread, and I do use autofill, save forms and searches, and rarely clear my browser history. I've used DC through four laptops and two phones. This is a head-scratcher.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, Moriaty said:

I've experienced issues with that though, there are times I forget and click the dragon in the box first, resulting in the no match screen, and if I then go to click x to remove the name, the fertility gets stuck at the no match screen and refuses to give me my dragon list back. 

Have you tried typing in something while on the no-match screen?

Just fyi, It's not happening on mobile (and there's no x option on mobile). ;)