Little-Star

250 book challenge 2021-2022

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: Sword of Destiny 

Author: Andrzej Sapkowski (Translated by David French)

Summary: This is the second book of short stories from the Witcher series of books (and video games and Netflix show). It tells several stories of Geralt of Rivia, including how he meets Ciri and his love for the Sorceress (who smells lol) Yennefer. 

Rating: 5/5

Review: I loved it? Like... I adore the Witcher 3 video game, and it's nice to get into. I've been reading it for months, as I kept forgetting to read and it's been hectic, but I'm glad I took the time to finish it today. 

Book Number: 62

Number Of Pages: 293

Book Title: The Obituary Writer

Author: Ann Hood

Summary: The story of two women, one in the 1960s, obsessed with the glamour of Jackie O., and one in 1919, an obituary writer, still searching for the lover she lost in the 1906 San Francisco Earthquake.

Book Number: 6 (4 comic book collections)

Number Of Pages: 180, 183, 115, 99 (577 total)

Book Title: Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites, Neighborhood Watch, Wise Dogs and Eldritch Men, Occupied Territory

Author: Evan Dorkin

Summary: A group of neighborhood dogs (and cat) have no idea what they're in for when they summon a Wise Dog to help with a haunted dog house. They soon find themselves involved in the increasingly strange supernatural happenings in and around their home of Burden Hill.

Review: It's like if the cast of Supernatural or the X-Files was a group of house pets. These are dark and sad but also sometimes funny. The artist changes at the end of the second collection, and while the new artist does a good job, the original art was just so much nicer. The new artist really changes the look and feel of many of the characters, even fully changing one dog's breed (I didn't recognize her until she was mentioned by name, and for a moment I thought it was weird they had included two dogs with the same name). Not for those who can't stand to see animals hurt, although it helps a bit that these animals have human intelligence and some of the antagonists are other animals.

Edited by GhostMouse

Book Number: 21*

Number Of Pages: 311

Book Title: A High-End Finish

Author: Kate Carlisle

Summary: Shannon Hammer is a contractor who lives in a cozy little town named Lighthouse Cove.  What happens when her friend Lizzy sets her up on a blind date with Jerry?
(my note: #6 for 2022)

Edited by trystan

Book Number: 63

Number Of Pages: 449

Book Title: My Secret Sister

Author: Helen Edwards & Jenny Lee Smith

Summary: The true story of twins separated at birth, one abused in her home, the other loved by her adopted parents.

Review: A one-day read, it was so compelling!

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 196

Book Title: Shimmer

Author: Alyson Noel

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: Hunted 

Author: Meagan Spooner

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Spells Trouble

Author: PC Cast

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 192

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : La belle au bois dormant (would translate as The Forbbiden Tales: Sleeping Beauty)

Author: L.P. Sicard

Summary: Aurore is a miracle baby. While she had a genetic desorder that would make her die very young, her mother's physcian decide to try some genetic manipulation to give her a more normal life. Growing up she would hear voices in her head that tells her to kill people. 

On that, I'm taking a small break of a main book to read (still have 3 other books on the go (one at work, one audio for the road and a short story collection that I read one a day) as my friend sent me her manuscript for the second tome of her serie. Since it's unplished at the moment and I can't share it publicly, it won't count for here. 

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 210

Book Title: Dreamland

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 442

Book Title: From Bad to Cursed

Author: Katie Alender

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 121

Book Title: Morrighan

Author: Mary E. Pearson

Rating: 5/5

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 451

Book Title: Rage of the Dragon

Authors: Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman

Summary: The third book in the Dragonships series finds the Vindrasi chasing after the Vektia spiritbones. While they are close to three, they are racing their traitorous Vindrasi brethren Raegar and Treia for the remaining two. The fate of the world is at stake in this quest.

Book Number: 22*

Number Of Pages: 314

Book Title: This Old Homicide

Summary: Shannon's neighbor (and the uncle of her best friend Jane), Jesse, is found dead in his home.  Jesse was a lover of telling tall tales, but what if some of his tall tales weren't so tall?  There's also some funny shenanigans with the Valentine Parade planning committee happening, too XD (ah, Whitney.....)
(my note: #8 for 2022)

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 273

Book Title: Miss Mayhem

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 264

Book Title: Lady Renegades

Author: Rachel Hawkins

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 354

Book Title:  Once

Author: Anna Carey

Book Number: 39

Number Of Pages: 310

Book Title: Rise

Author: Anna Carey

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 357

Book Title: Sinner

Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Book Number: 41

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Supernaturally

Author: Kiersten White

Book Number: 18

Number Of Pages: 298

Book Title: The Serpent's Head

Author: Bryan Young

Summary: This story follows the enigmatic bounty hunter known as Twelve as he explores a newly-settled frontier on the planet Glycon Prime. After seeing an entire town murdered with the exception of three children, he goes on a mission to rescue a fourth kidnapped survivor and exact revenge on the gang that killed an entire town.

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 608 

Book Title: Sac d'os (french translation of Bag of Bones)

Author: Stephen King

Summary: Mike Noonan is a writter, but after the sudden passing of his wife, he stoped to write. Four years later, he decided to go back to there summer house. There he met Mattie and Kyra, a young widow and her daughter who are facing some problems. Mike also discover that his house is haunted and some ghost are trying to hell while others want to stop him. 

Book Number: 23*

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Crowned and Moldering

Summary: When starting the renovations on Mac's Lighthouse Mansion, Shannon and her crew find some bones.  Who do they belong to, how did they get there, and whodunnit?
(my note: #11 for 2022)

Book Number: 64

Number Of Pages: 344

Book Title: The Sun is Also a Star

Author: Nicola Yoon

Summary: Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment. Natasha and Daniel meet just as Natasha is about to be deported to Jamaica.

Review: Another one-day read!

Book Number: 42

Number Of Pages: 385

Book Title: Endlessly

Author: Kiersten White

Book Number: 43

Number Of Pages: 405

Book Title: If I Should Die

Author: Amy Plum

Book Number: 44

Number Of Pages: 240

Book Title: Whisper

Book Number: 24*

Number Of Pages: 468

Book Title: The King of Koraha

Author: Maria V Snyder

Summary: the King has summoned Shyla Sun-Kissed and Captain Rendor.  This is the third book in the Archives of the Invisible Sword series
(my note: #12 for 2022)

Book Number: 19

Number Of Pages: 441

Book Title: The MX Book of New Sherlock Holmes Stories Part 1: 1881-1889

Editor: David Marcum

Summary: This Sherlock Holmes anthology features over sixty short stories set in the time period mentioned above, following primarily the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson, while featuring other characters such as the infamous Moriarty, Holmes' brother Mycroft Holmes, and Wiggins, the leader of the Baker Street Gang.

Book Number: 45

Number Of Pages: 438

Book Title: A Touch of Darkness

Author: Scarlett St. Clair

Book Number: 46

Number Of Pages: 230

Book Title: Kissed by an Angel

Author: Elizabeth Chandler

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 47

Number Of Pages: 444

Book Title: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

Author: V.E. Schwab

Book Number: 20

Number Of Pages: 266

Book Title: Elected

Author: Rori Shay

Summary: This YA dystopian novel takes place in 2185, after humanity's destruction from climate change has what's left of America divided into three countries ruled by Accords designed to prevent the climate crisis from happening again. In order to honor one of the Accords, Aloy, a seventeen-year-old girl takes the role of Elected, a role held only by men, to govern her country. Marrying a woman to add authenticity to her charade, her plans go awry when she falls for a boy, the veterinarian to her family's pets. Less than a year into her tenure and already survived an assassination attempt, her ability to rule is already being tested.

Book Number: 25*

Number Of Pages: 293

Book Title: Deck the Hallways

Summary: Merry Xmas from Lighthouse Cove! with 11 shopping days until xmas, Shannon and other contractors are turning a huge mansion into apartments for 10 families who are now no longer homeless.  but when the nosy bank rep (who holds the deeds to many homes and businesses in Lighthouse Cove) is found dead at the construction site, how do you figure out whodunnit when the better question is "who didn't do it?"
(my note: #13 for 2022)

Book Number: 65

Number Of Pages: 121

Book Title: A Long Walk to Water

Author: Linda Sue Park

Summary: Based on a true story, this book tells of two young people in Sudan, Nya in 2008, who walks eight hours every day to fetch water for her family, and Salva in 1985, whose life is forever changed when he runs from his war-torn village.

Review: Bring tissues.

Book Number: 66

Number Of Pages: 381

Book Title: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Author: Rebecca Skloot

Summary: Doctors took cells from Henrietta Lacks in 1951, cells that are still alive in the billions today. Rebecca Sloot tells the fascinating tale of Henrietta, her family, and medical ethics.

Review: Highly readable and fascinating to follow. I found myself wondering if the HeLa cells played any part in the development of the Covid vaccines. (The book was first published in 2010.)

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 266

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : Le livre de la Jungle

Author: Maude Royer

Book Number: 67

Number Of Pages: 211

Book Title: The Magic Half

Author: Annie Barrows

Summary: Miri feels left out in her family as the only non-twin. One day she finds a mysterious piece of glass and meets Molly who is just her age.

Book Number: 68

Number Of Pages: 313

Book Title: The Underneath

Author: Kathi Appelt

Summary: Hound dog Ranger's life on a chain is forever changed by the arrival of a mother cat and then her two kittens.

Review: Very well written. Definitely have tissues handy.