Little-Star

250 book challenge 2021-2022

~* The 250 Book Challenge *~

What it says in the title! I challenge you to read 250 books in a year. Think you can do it? Get reading!

The Rules:

1. You have between August 1st 2021 (00:00am GMT), and July 31st 2022 (at 11:59pm GMT) to read 250 books. There are smaller milestones for those of us who can't/won't reach the 250 mark, and to help participants feel like they're getting somewhere.

2. You can join at any time during the year, but you still only have until July 31st 2022 to reach the target! You can start straight away, we'll try and add you as soon as possible, if you've been left off the list or your username is misspelled, feel free to shoot me a PM or just say it on this thread.

3. Books that you've read and finished before your join date do not count, even if you join after August 1st. (E.g. you join on 3rd Sept - you can only count books from 3rd September onwards).

4. Reply to this thread once you've finished a book with the code below. You can, if you like, give a short review and/or a rating, but please don't reveal spoilers as others may not have read it.

5. If you've just started a book, or are half way through one when you begin the challenge, then that will count towards your total.

6. The only books that do not count are textbooks, or books with less than 100 pages. So you can read children books (provided they meet the 100 page mark), young adult, biographies etc. Any genre is accepted. Manga is only accepted if it's 500 pages or more. Online unpublished fiction (not fanfiction) is allowed if it has 20,000 words or more (please post the link to the story and the number of words, however if the story could be considered unsuitable for minors post the link via PM).

7. Re-reads count, though I would prefer it if you label them as such (just for the records). Each time you re-read a book it counts as a point.

8. Participants are listed below, with their current book count next to their usernames.

9. There is no way to prove or disprove you've read the books you say you have, so please, I ask that you be honest (^^) I will, however usually check the page length of books - someone's gotta keep an eye on you lot!

10. Get reading and have fun! *shoos you*

11.  You can write a summary of the book you read but it has to be in less than 100 words, but more than 10 words. It's not mandatory but it would be nice if you do. 

[b]Book Number:[/b]
[b]Number Of Pages:[/b]
[b]Book Title:[/b]
[b]Author:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b] (optional)
[b]Rating:[/b] (optional)
[b]Review:[/b] (optional)

Example:

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages:500

Book Title: Go Dog Go!

Author: P.D. Eastman

Summary: This book entails a story of a dog that runs, the dog is the main character of this story and the author expresses how the dogs feels beautiful. (Never read this book before in my life; but you catch my drift)

Rating: 5/5

Review: --

Many people got busy over the duration of the challenge, so to help new budding readers when you reach one of our milestones they will be a graphic given to you marking your commitment.

Milestones

FAQ

Q: My name/full book number is not on the list.

A: Everything after an update won't be on the list until the next update. However, if there has been an update and you notice something is still missing, either repost or PM me.

Q: Can I post books even though I'm not on the list yet?

A: If you posted a sign up post, you can start counting books as soon as you finish them.

Q: Can I count comic books when they have less than 500 pages but are part of a series?

A: In this case, if you can reach 500 pages by adding several books of the same series, it will count. Example of what you can post as the title: The Walking Dead vol. 1-4.

Q: What counts as a re-read?

A: Any book that you've read more than once during the challenge.

Edited by Little-Star

Participants and book total 

AsymDoll13 15

autumnbrandolyn 166

Catstaff 35

DraconicDetective 1

Flaviel 2

GhostMouse 14

Kanaye 5

Lagie 135

Little-Star 67

Purpledragonclaw 35

tnoelemaK 8

Skadi 3

Shrapnarl 1

Trystan 39

Water_Angel 0

participants and total book count for 2020-2021 :

Catstaff: 256

Lagie: 128

Little-Star: 43

Kanaye : 41

GhostMouse: 16

Purpledragonclaw: 44

tnoelemaK: 289

Edited by Little-Star

Count me in again for the 2021-22 challenge!

Count me in, too, please!

*leaves brownies for everyone*

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 408

Book Title: As Good As It Gets?

Author: Fiona Gibson

Summary: Charlotte's ex, and father of her daughter, shows up in her lufe just as she and her husband are having difficulties, leading her to wonder what might have been.

Edited by Lagie
Fixing coding

I'm in, even if I never get close, lol.

Number Of Pages: 164

Book Title: The Woman in Black

Author: Susan Hill

Summary: A young solicitor is tasked with sorting through the paperwork of a late client in the mysterious Eel Marsh House, a house so remote that it can only be reached by a narrow causeway and only at low tide. He discovers that what should be a simple task is made all the more difficult by the gloomy house, the one the residents of the nearby town will not go near, or even talk about.

Review: A gothic classic (if a book from the 80's can be a classic). I liked it.

Book Number: 1
Number Of Pages: 416
Book Title: The Grace Year
Author: Kim Liggett
Summary: In Garner County girls are being told that they'll develop a dangerous magic around their sixteenth birthday. To get rid of this magic which lures men away from their wive's beds, drives women mad with jealousy etc. every girl has to spend a year in the wilderness to get rid of her magic with the other girls. 
Basically it is Hunger Games meets deeply misogynistic society and you'll have this novel.
Review: There were some pacing issues and the characterization of certain characters was sometimes very basic. The romance was also a tad under-developed. But overall a page-turner that I quite liked.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 465

Book Title: The Bear and the Serpent

Author: Adrian Tchaikovsky

Summary: Second book of Echoes of he Fall trilogy

Maniy Many Tracks of the Iron Wolves and her warband have traveled south to cast their support behind Tecuman, one of the two competitors for the throne. However, his sister will not sinpy give up her throne. Meanwhile, danger lurks in the north and Loud Tunderof the Bear Tribe has to rally the different tribes of the north to face the Plague people.

Review The setup of the first book has paid off in my opinion. There is equal focus on all the important characters, the plot develops, for the most part, nicely, however I am left questioning if it was really necessary to spend half a book on deciding a ruler?

Spoiler

Hesprec basically just swooped and choose for them and Tecuman who spend the entire book telling everybody that he was the one true Kasra was like "Yep, never wanted to be a ruler anyway." What.

On the other hand Asman is great. He is just that unapolegetic master manipulator you love to hate. Poor Asmander.

Edited by Flaviel

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 441

Book Title: The Thousandth Floor

Author: Katharine McGee

Summary: One hundred years in the future in New York everyone wants something and everyone has something to lose. Amid breathtaking advancement and high-tech luxury, five teenagers struggle to find their place at the top of the world.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 422

Book Title: The Dazzling Heights

Author: Katharine McGee

Summary: Here in the Tower, no one is safe, because someone is watching every move.

Number Of Pages: 293
Book Title: Behind Closed Doors
Author: B.A. Paris
Summary: (optional)

Book Number: 2
Number Of Pages: 298
Book Title: The Therapist
Author: B.A. Paris

Book Number: 3
Number Of Pages: 341
Book Title: Cross Her Heart
Author: Sarah Pinborough

Book Number: 4
Number Of Pages: 400
Book Title: Dead to Her
Author: Sarah Pinborough

Book Number: 5
Number Of Pages: 320
Book Title: The Girls in the Garden
Author: Lisa Jewell

Book Number: 6
Number Of Pages: 384
Book Title: I Know Who You Are
Author: Alice Feeney

Book Number: 7
Number Of Pages: 304
Book Title: His and Hers
Author: Alice Feeney

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 454

Book Title: The Towering Sky

Author: Katharine McGee

Summary: The finale of the trilogy continues the lives of Manhattan's elite, where some secrets are better left untouched.

19 hours ago, Little-Star said:

Lagie and Tnoelemak, you are on fire 😮

XD I'm at home with no TV, no internet. Trust me, I'm about to slow down as I go house sitting tomorrow!

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 200

Book Title: The Magic Toyshop

Author: Angela Carter

Summary: After the death of her parents, Melanie and her siblings go to live with relatives they have never met.

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 482

Book Title: Peace Talks

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: The various supernatural powers of the universes are converging on Chicago to discuss a peace treaty. Harry Dresden is to provide security for the White Council, and everything is going fine until his brother Thomas attempts an assassination on one of the accorded nations attending the peace talks mere days before they were set to begin. Now he has to get him out of this situation safely without blowing up the peace talks.

Hi, I'd like to give this a shot this year. been thinking a lot about goals lately and reaching 100 is one of them this time around.

Number Of Pages: 363

Book Title: Les yeux Jaunes : Premiers Jours

Author: Yvan Godbout

Summary: Dany woke up one morning and saw that the sky was emerald green. After that, he discover that almost every one turned into zombies during the night, including his wife and daughter. 

Number Of Pages: 329

Book Title: Once Upon a Nightwish: The Early Years

Author: Mape Ollila

Summary: The story of the Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish, starting from its conception by three friends sitting around a campfire. This covers the first ten years of the band, from the first demo all the way through the dismissal of vocalist Tarja Turunen, from alcohol-fueled hijinks to business disasters and interpersonal conflicts that nearly ended the band on more than one occasion.

Number Of Pages: 364

Book Title: Nightwish: We Were Here

Author: Timo Isoaho

Summary: The continuing tale of Nightwish, from the point that current vocalist Floor Jansen joined the band mid-tour as a substitute singer due to the second vocalist Anette's health issues, this covers the band's decision to make Floor a permanent member along with multi-instrumentalist Troy Donockley, along with the initial stages of writing, rehearsing, and recording their eighth studio album Endless Forms Most Beautiful and the tour which followed.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 188

Book Title: Marco Hietala - Stainless?

Author: Timo Kangasluoma

Summary: The biography of Marco Hietala, best known as the bassist and male vocalist of the Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish. On the one hand, the story of a typical metal musician, playing loud music and trashing hotel rooms after the shows. On the other, the story of a man battling depression and alcoholism, trying to do the right thing for himself and his family, not always succeeding, but always managing to pick himself up to try again.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 495

Book Title: The Clan of the Cave Bear

Author: Jean M. Auel

Summary: Orphaned by an earthquake, Ayla was found and adopted by the Clan, despite being one of the Others. While she tried hard to fit in as she grew up, even learning to be a medicine woman, she never quite managed - and her differences caused trouble at times, especially with Broud, son of the leader, Brun. When Broud became leader, he used his new position to force Ayla out of the Clan to survive - or not - alone in the wilderness.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 544

Book Title: The Valley of Horses

Summary: Ayla spent three years living alone in a small valley, her only companions a horse and a cave lion cub. Jondalar and his brother chose to make a Journey, trying to reach the end of the Great Mother River or beyond. One day, while out hunting, Ayla heard a human scream and found two men being attacked by the cave lion she'd raised. Too late to save one, she got Jondalar away from the lion and healed his wounds. He taught her the ways of the Others, and they fell in love.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 723

Book Title: The Mammoth Hunters

Summary: Jondalar wanted to bring Ayla back to his people, but knew they couldn't leave until spring as the journey would take a year or more and winter was closing in. But he suggested to Ayla that they explore the territory near her valley, and they ran into a party of hunters from the tribe known as the Mamutoi. They were invited to spend the winter. Ayla attracted the attention of Ranec, a handsome carver. At the same time, Jondalar worried whether his people would accept her due to her Clan upbringing, causing her to think he no longer loved her.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 865

Book Title: The Plains of Passage

Summary: Ayla and Jondalar traveled from the Mamutoi territory where they had spent the winter, across half the continent to Jondalar's people, the Zelandonii. They met several tribes, some friendly and some hostile, and faced difficulties due to bad weather, but persevered to return to Jondalar's home.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 883

Book Title: The Shelters of Stone

Summary: Jondalar was happy to be home with the Zelandonii once more, but Ayla, raised by the Clan, had trouble fitting in. It didn't help that a particularly popular woman had wanted Jondalar for herself, and hated that he'd brought home a foreigner instead. But Ayla's skill at healing and her willingness to help out wherever she could eventually earned her acceptance.

Number Of Pages: 515

Book Title: Billy Summers

Author: Stephen King

Summary: An ex Marine turned hitman agrees to take one last job...

Review: King usually drops bits of current events in his books, and it was fun to read a book where I was familiar with all the current event references. Aside from that, I enjoyed it, but I don't think it's one of my favorites.

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 235

Book Title: Horse Girl

Author: Carrie Seim

Summary: Wills, a seventh grader obsessed with horses, gets to join a riding academy and start training with an actual horse! The horses are much easier to get along with than the humans who ride them, particularly the clique of the riding team that doesn't seem keen on letting her in. Her journey to learning horsemanship and having human friends is a delight.

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 147

Book Title: As Told By Things

Editor: E.D.E. Bell

Summary: This clever anthology is a set of stories told by inanimate objects, from peas to mirrors, to cars and paper clips.

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 290

Book Title: Scoundrels: A Blackguards Anthology

Editor: Melanie R. Meadors

Summary: This is another anthology in the Blackguards line that covers all kinds of stories told from the perspective of villains: mercenaries, goblins, orcs, you name it. Many of the stories here can be found in the Blackguards Anthology compendium, but there are enough new stories here (4) to warrant the purchase if you've already read the compendium.

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Adding a new book.

Number Of Pages: 539

Book Title: Play Dead

Author: Harlan Coben

Summary: Laura and David are on their honeymoon in Australie when David desapeared. 

Number Of Pages: 453

Book Title: Le mort du chemin des Arsène

Author: Jean Lemieux

Summary: A local musician is found shot in his house, when the polimen arrive, they are sure that looks like a suicide was in reality a murder.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 291

Book Title: Brigands: A Blackguards Anthology

Editor: Melanie R. Meadors & Alana Joli Abbott

Summary: This is another anthology in the Blackguards line that covers all kinds of stories told from the perspective of villains: mercenaries, vigilantes, you name it. Like Scoundrels, many of the stories here can be found in the Blackguards Anthology compendium, but there are enough new stories here (4) to warrant the purchase if you've already read the compendium.

@Little-Star am I good to lock down the thread from last year?

Edited by purpledragonclaw