Little-Star

250 book challenge 2021-2022

2 hours ago, Little-Star said:

Is it because of me ? XD

Nah. ;) I finished the Ballad book and decided to reread the series. It's interesting to see the connections!

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 400

Book Title: The Hunger Games : Mockingjay

Author: Suzanne Collins

Summary: After the last Hunger Games, Katniss joined the rebels into the war against the Capitol.

Book Number: 39

Number Of Pages: 447

Book Title: Le recueil maudit

Author: Various (list in picture as there are 50 of them)

Spoiler

DB2Qien.jpg

Summary: A collection of 55 horror short stories. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 232

Book Title: Les contes Interdits : Les 3 p'tits cochons

Author: Christian Boivin

Summary: (For mature readers only) Peter, a killer for hire, is called from British Colombia to go to Quebec to identify his sister body. The cause of death was suspicous so Peter start to investigate as to avenge his sister. 

Book Number: 83

Number Of Pages: 215

Book Title: Guts

Author: Raina Telgemeier

Summary: Raina has tummy troubles but it turns out to be more than just the stomach flu.

Book Number: 84

Number Of Pages: 641

Book Title: The Good Daughter

Author: Karin Slaughter

Summary: Two daughters survive an attack on their family homestead that leaves their mother dead. Twenty-eight years later, another violent act brings the memories and the truth to the surface.

Book Number: 85

Number Of Pages: 163

Book Title: The View from Saturday

Author: E.L. Konigsburg

Summary: How did the four grade six students who make up The Souls become Mrs. Olinski's championship team?

Book Number: 41

Number Of Pages: 344 + 376 (720)

Book Title: The Boys (Omnibus vol 1 and 2)

Author: Garth Ennis

Summary: (for mature readers only) In an universe where the superheroes acts like normal human would with superpowers (a.k.a not your regular helpfull and nice superhero), The Boys keep an eye on them when they cross the line.

Book Number: 31*

Number Of Pages: 432

Book Title: Daemon

Author: Daniel Suarez

Summary: wacky computer game mogul Matthew Sobol is dead.... long live his Daemon.  unless you get in its way.....
(my note: #22 for 2022)

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 357

Book Title: The Good Earth

Author: Pearl S. Buck

Summary: Wang Lung is a farmer in pre-Revolutionary China, who weds a woman that gives him son. All he really wants is some land to work upon. 

Rating: 5/5

Review: Hauntingly beautiful and a little bit sad, but this book (Which I got for free~) was gorgeous. ❤️ Published in 1931, the author manages to tell the tale of a young man from his youth to his elder years as well as the family that he makes. I loved this book. Absolutely brilliant. 

Book Number: 42

Number Of Pages: 672

Book Title: Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass #4)

Author: Sarah J Maas

Summary: After her training in Wendlyn, Selena, now using her reall name Aelin, goes back to Rifthold to stop the King who's commanding an army of demons.

Book Number: 86

Number Of Pages: 376

Book Title: The Dictionary of Lost Words

Author: Pip Williams

Summary: Esme grows up in the Scriptorium where her father and other lexicographers are working on the first Oxford English Dictionary. She begins to realize that often words relating to women's experiences go unrecorded.

Review: This was a fascinating read as most of it is set amongst actual events. If you love words at all, I highly recommend it.

Book Number: 87

Number Of Pages: 314

Book Title: Princess Academy

Author: Shannon Hale

Summary: Miri's family lives high in the mountains making a living frim the stones within, but Miri must leave when all eligible girls are told to attend an academy to prepare themselves to possibly be the future royal princess.

Book Number: 88

Number Of Pages: 346

Book Title: The Killing Tide

Author: Dani Pettrey

Summary: The killing of a Coast Guard officer draws agent Finn Walker into a complicated web of murders that seems to also involve his boss's sister Gabby who is staying at his house.

Note: While it says Coastal Guardians Book One, it is a standalone so you don't have to feel compelled to read any others.

Book Number: 89

Number Of Pages: 303

Book Title: The One and Only Ivan

Author: Katherine Applegate

Summary: Ivan is a gorilla living in a concrete cage in a run-down mall. His attitude towards life changes with the arrival of Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family.

Book Number: 90

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: Magic Hour

Author: Kristin Hannah

Summary: Child psychologist Dr. Julia Cates' career is on the rocks after a difficult court case so she is grateful for the distraction privided when a young child wanders out of the woods into Julia's home town.

Review: I couldn't put it down!

Book Number: 91

Number Of Pages: 486

Book Title: Big Little Lies

Author: Liane Moriarty

Summary: Someone is dead after the parents' trivia night at Pirriwee School. Told from several points of view, the story tracks the events leading up to the night.

Review: Better than I expected and I didn't figure out who died until it happened.

Book Number: 92

Number Of Pages: 418

Book Title: Salt to the Sea

Author: Ruta Sepetys

Summary: In the winter of 1945, thousands of people flocked to the coast in the midst of the Soviet advance. Many vye for passage on board the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Review: Another I couldn't put down. Most of you know about the Titanic. This ship had 10,000 people on board and most people have never heard of it.

(I thought I'd already posted half of these... sorry for the massive list.)

Edited by Lagie
typo

Book Number: 43

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Cobayes : Sarah et Sid

Author: Eve Patenaude

Summary: Sarah owed money to her boss so she decides, with her boyfriend to join a reasearch group for a new medication against anxiety. The product has some interesting effects on them. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 44

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia #2 (but first in publishing order))

Author: C.S. Lewis

Summary: While trying to hide from his siblings, Lucy goes into a wardrobe that brings her into a new magical world called Narnia. Later on the others also ended up into Narnia where the have to stop the White Witch from ruling the country. 

Book Number: 61

Number Of Pages:  512

Book Title: A Gathering of Shadows

Author:  V E Schwab

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 62

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: Among the Beasts & Briars

Author:  Ashley Poston

Rating: 5/5

Book Number: 63

Number Of Pages: 438

Book Title: Uprooted

Author: Naomi Novik

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 64

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: The Traitor’s Game

Author: Jennifer Nielsen

Book Number: 32*

Number Of Pages: 406

Book Title: Freedom™

Author: Daniel Suarez

Summary: more hijinx, brought to you by the Daemon.
(my note: #23 for 2022)

Book Number: 45

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: prince Caspian 

Author: C.S. Lewis

Summary: Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy return to Narnia after one year. They have to help Caspian the rightfull heir to get his throne back. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 323

Book Title: Keep Marching: How Every Woman Can Take Action and Change Our World

Author: Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner

Summary: This a great primer text on how to organize, create systemic structural change, and never lose hope that things can be better in our world. It focuses primarily on advancing women's rights, but has a lot of intersectionality, including for racial and LGBTQIA justice. The author is one of the co-founders of the organization Moms Rising.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Book Number: 93

Number Of Pages: 208

Book Title: Ramona and Her Mother

Author: Beverly Cleary

Summary: The further adventures of Ramona Quimby, now aged seven and half and trying to be her mother's girl.

Book Number: 94

Number Of Pages: 244

Book Title: Indigo's Star

Author: Hilary McKay

Summary: Indigo is dreading returning to school after a bout of glandular fever, but Tom's arrival in his class makes an unexpected difference.

Book Number: 95

Number Of Pages: 276

Book Title: The Sugar Queen

Author: Sarah Addison Allen

Summary: Josey Cirrini lives an uneventful life at her mother's house, but things change when she finds Della Lee Baker living in her closet.

Book Number: 96

Number Of Pages: 311

Book Title: Flowers for Algernon

Author: Daniel Keyes

Summary: Born with a low IQ, Charlie Gordon has been chosen as the perfect subject for experimental surgery that researchers hope will raise his intelligence.

Book Number: 97

Number Of Pages: 128

Book Title: Mary-Kate and Ashley Sweet Sixteen: Starring You and Me

Author: Melissa Senate

Summary: Twins Mary-Kate and Ashley try to help their friends promote their new CD while also trying to keep the drama club at school going.

Book Number: 98

Number Of Pages: 139

Book Title: The End of the Alphabet

Author: C.S. Richardson

Summary: After being told he has a mere month to live, Ambrose Zephyr decides to visit, alphabetically, all the places he's ever loved or wished to see.

Book Number: 65

Number Of Pages: 336

Book Title: Blade of Secrets

Author: Tricia Levenseller

Book Number: 66

Number Of Pages: 285

Book Title: Bad Girls with Perfect Faces

Author: Lynn Weingarten

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 67

Number Of Pages: 288

Book Title: The Stranger Game

Author: Cylin Busby

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 68

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: The Rules

Author: Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie

Book Number:46

Number Of Pages:271

Book Title: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Author:C.S. Lewis

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 445

Book Title: The White Queen

Author: Philppa Gregory 

Summary: The first in a series, this book follows the Plantagenet Queen: Elizabeth Woodville, a widowed woman from the 1400s who marries the King of England in secret. She becomes embroiled in political intrigue after the death of her husband Edward IV, when her brother in law, Richard takes over, imprisoning her two young boys in the Tower of London. 

Rating: 5/5

Review: I've only read Gregory in bits and pieces before, but this book is fantastic! I'm a huge fan of historical fiction (especially of the Tudors) and holy moly, it delivered! Also... Elizabeth Woodville was an amazing woman with an amazing story, since the odds of her ever becoming the Queen of England were astronomically low. I recommend 20000000%!

Book Number: 99

Number Of Pages: 286

Book Title: Nora and Liz

Author: Nancy Garden

Summary: After getting a flat en route to her family's summer cabin, Liz asks for assistance from Nora at the old Tillot farm. Their friendship quickly grows into something deeper.

Book Number: 47

Number Of Pages: 187

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : Le petit Poucet

Author: Yvan Godbout

Summary: After the death of his mother and sister and the desapearence of his father, Bastien goes to live with his uncle. One day, they decided to go to a lake cabin but once they are there, they get attacked by a witch. 

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 271

Book Title: Vision of Serpents

Author: Vincent Morrone

Summary: Book 2 of the Visions series finds Bristol Blackburn seeing Payne McKnight exclusively, but unable to call herself dating. She also can't use the terms "boyfriend/girlfriend", or that she loves Payne (though he says it freely to her). Even better, she's seeing black snakes all over town, and since seeing them, people in both the Blackburn and McKnight families have been dying at a faster rate than normal. She has to solve the mystery of the snakes while navigating being in a relationship she refuses to acknowledge.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 732

Book Title: Bag of Bones

Author: Stephen King

Summary: Following his wife's death, author Mike Noonan moves out to their lake house, where he begins to realize his wife had been keeping secrets from him. He also involves himself in a custody battle between a young mother and her wealthy father-in-law.

Review: This one was weird. I liked most of it, and all the spooky stuff was great. But the protagonist (in his 40's) spends half the book practically drooling over the young mother (barely 20) in the grossest way, and it made me really struggle to find him likeable. It had some other problematic bits, as well, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Book Number: 100

Number Of Pages: 241

Book Title: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Author: Rhoda Janzen

Summary: After her husband left her for a man he met on Gay.com, Rhoda had a serious car accident that same week and decided to return to her Mennonite family's home to recuperate.

11 hours ago, Lagie said:

Book Number: 100

Number Of Pages: 241

Book Title: Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Author: Rhoda Janzen

Summary: After her husband left her for a man he met on Gay.com, Rhoda had a serious car accident that same week and decided to return to her Mennonite family's home to recuperate.

Congrats for book 100 :D