Little-Star

250 book challenge 2021-2022

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: Le Tatoueur d'Auschwitz (french versiom of: The Tattooist of Auschwitz)

Author: Heather Morris

Summary: The story of Lale and how he lived as a prisoner and the tattooist in Auschwitz and how he met and fell in love with Gita.

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 389

Book Title: Devoria : Le duide de la Vallée

Author: Justin Lemire

Summary: The magic borders between the different countries fell down and Devoria is slowly devouring the continent. The druid is tasked to find one the 3 relics (there are 2 other books by different authors in the serie which has different characters finding the other ones) to save the world from being destroyed and that Devoria can go back to sleep for another 10 000 years. 

Book Number: 57

Number Of Pages: 376

Book Title: The Forest of Vanishing Stars

Author: Kristin Harmel

Summary: After being stolen from her wealthy German parents and raised in the wilderness of Eastern Europe, Yona has amassed a lifetime of survival skills. Her solitary existence is interrupted by Jews fleeing Nazi persecution.

Review: Well worth the read, this came highly recommended by a friend, and I couldn't put it down. There seems to always be more to learn about what happened during the Second World War. I also recommend a documentary called Harbor From the Holocaust about Jewish refugees who went to Shanghai.

i edited my post back a page after the front page got updated.  and then the pages moved along, and my next book got lost.  so:

Book Number: 17*

Number Of Pages: 153

Book Title: To Be Taught, If Fortunate

Author: Becky Chambers

Summary: the crew of the ship Merian explores worlds in orbit around the red dwarf Zhenyi.  This is their report.
(my note: #2 for 2022)

Edited by trystan

42 minutes ago, trystan said:

i edited my post back a page after the front page got updated.  and then the pages moved along, and my next book got lost.  so:

Better to always post a new one then editing (even more so if the total had been updated as I don't look back to older posts), I usually update in the next hours after someone posted. Then if you edit, I might miss it. Tho I will go back if the newest book number doesn't fit the one on the total 

Edited by Little-Star

5 minutes ago, Little-Star said:

Better to always post a new one then editing (even more so if the total had been updated as I don't look back to older posts), I usually update in the next hours after someone posted. Then if you edit, I might miss it. Tho I will go back if the newest book number doesn't fit the one on the total 

makes sense.  it would have been a double-post though.  do you allow double posts in this thread? :)

41 minutes ago, trystan said:

makes sense.  it would have been a double-post though.  do you allow double posts in this thread? :)

Yes they are allowed (I even do it myself)... when the forum doesn't automatically merge them together 

33 minutes ago, Little-Star said:

Yes they are allowed (I even do it myself)... when the forum doesn't automatically merge them together 

ah, good to know, thanks! :)

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 364 (but middle grade so it's written bigger and has less words on one page)

Book Title: Les 5 derniers Dragons : L'enlèvement (1 of 12)

Author: Danielle Dumais

Summary: Humans and wizards had been living in peace for 150 years while magic was banned. On day an new enemy appears and thr princess is kidnapped. They got the mission to find her and find a way to defeat the enemy. 

Book Number: 18*

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title: Game On: Tempting Twenty-Eight

Author: Janet Evanovich

Summary: Stephanie and Diesel try to take down a sadistic hacker, Oswald Wednesday. Hijinks ensue.
(my note: #3 for 2022)

Edited by trystan

Book Number: 19*

Number Of Pages: 237

Book Title: Chouette

Author: Claire Oshetsky

Summary: a woman named Tiny gives birth to an owl-baby, but the father wants to fix his broken daughter.
(my note: #4 for 2022)

On 1/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, trystan said:

do you know there's a new Dragonlance book coming out in august!! *bounces*

I am honestly getting tired of the writing style of these two. They were good to me in the 90s, but now their character archetypes are very tropey and they haven't really grown. This quadrilogy I'm getting ready to finish (I'm only reading three because book 4 is out of print for hard copies) is full of so many eye-rolling moments that it isn't enjoyable at all. It's written poorly. My favorite trilogies from them are the Dragonlance Legends (finally a series that covers the fall of Istar and the Dwarf Wars!) and the War of Souls (wrapping up the old characters with a pretty little bow).

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 334

Book Title: Space Rain

Author: LR Alavan

Summary: Humans now rely on water from space to fulfill their needs on Earth. A team of auditors checking water mining facilities uncovers a plot that appears incompetent but is actually nefarious and dark, threatening the whole of humanity.

59 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I am honestly getting tired of the writing style of these two. They were good to me in the 90s, but now their character archetypes are very tropey and they haven't really grown. This quadrilogy I'm getting ready to finish (I'm only reading three because book 4 is out of print for hard copies) is full of so many eye-rolling moments that it isn't enjoyable at all. It's written poorly. My favorite trilogies from them are the Dragonlance Legends (finally a series that covers the fall of Istar and the Dwarf Wars!) and the War of Souls (wrapping up the old characters with a pretty little bow).

i've really only read the main storylines - War of the Lance, Legends,  Second Generation, Dragons of Summer Flame, War of the Souls, and Lost Chronicles.  while i own some of the Tales books, i really haven't read much else outside that main storyline.  Destinies looks like it's between War of the Lance and Legends.  i'll read it.  i'll have to wait for next year to buy it when it's in paperback (hopefully mass market paperback, like all my others!)

good luck with the series you're finishing then!

Edited by trystan

Book Number: 58

Number Of Pages: 227

Book Title: The Beastly Arms

Author: Patrick Jennings

Summary: Nickel and his mother have to move to a new apartment, and Nickel thinks he's found the perfect place, a mysterious building at the end of an alley downtown.

Book Number: 59

Number Of Pages: 241

Book Title: #GIRLBOSS

Author: Sophia Amoruso

Summary: Part memoir, part business advice, Sophia recounts her experiences in becoming a major online fashion retailer.

Oof, I really got out of the habit of reading for a while. I'm glad to be back to it!

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 736

Book Title: Needful Things

Author: Stephen King

Summary: No one in Castle Rock has any idea what they're in for when the quiet, unassuming Leland Gaunt opens his store, Needful Things. However, many residents quickly discover the shop has exactly what they've always wanted, and at just the right price...

Review: Even though I unintentionally took a multi-month break in the middle of this (more like 1/4 of the way through) I really enjoyed it. I've seen it parodied many times so I was surprised to find the plot was actually pretty different from what I expected.

Book Number: 24

Number Of Pages: 502

Book Title: Gilded

Author: Marissa Meyer

Rating: 5/5

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 352

Book Title: The Forbidden Wish

Author:  Jessica Khoury

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: Defy the Night

Author:  Brigid Kemmerer

Book Number: 60

Number Of Pages: 260

Book Title: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

Author: Gabrielle Zevin

Summary: *inserts screenshot of back cover blurb*

Screenshot_20220117-140752.thumb.jpg.54e64a87539c3a33dfcbbd69a9670a52.jpg

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Summary: *inserts screenshot of back cover blurb*

thought we were supposed to write our own summary? ;) 

On 11/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, Little-Star said:

..... if you put a summary, you have to write it yourself, not post link to it :

11.  You can write a summary of the book you read but it has to be in less than 100 words, but more than 10 words. It's not mandatory but it would be nice if you do. 

1 minute ago, trystan said:

thought we were supposed to write our own summary? ;) 

Yeah. I was feeling uncreative. "Grumpy bookshop owner has a life-changing experience when an unexpected delivery arrives at his shop."

6 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Yeah. I was feeling uncreative.

eh, it's fine.

my book numbers now all have and asterisk* because it denotes SEVEN graphic novels that i read that just don't count cause they're too short. (when i get all done with my Sandman, i'm calling it one book - Sandman: The ENTIRE volume of 12 Graphic Novels" XD no idea how many pages.  not counting 'em. XD  (cause actually, it's 11 graphic novels and 9 comic books.  still lots of pages.  easily more than 500, as listed back on page 1)

Good luck with that!

Book Number: 61

Number Of Pages: 233

Book Title: The Last Invisible Boy

Author: Evan Kuhlman

Illustrator: J.P. Coovert

Summary: After The Terrible Day That Changed Everything, Finn is convinced he's turning invisible.

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 391

Book Title: L'affaire Mélodie Cormier

Author: Guillaume Morrissette

Summary: A 10 year old girl was kidnapped and the blame was put on her father. Somewhere else in the town, a younf man received a letter saying the sender knew infos about his parents death. How the two situations are linked together ? 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 20*

Number Of Pages: 398

Book Title: Change Agent

Author: Daniel Suarez

Summary: Kenneth Durand is part of an interpol team that investigates "vanity" embryo gene-editing technology.  what happens Durand is injected with a change agent, that turns him into the leader of the Huli jing,  a group who can turn anyone into anyone else for a price?  can Durand return to who he was before?
(my note: #5 for 2022)

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: Kingdom of the Cursed

Author:  Kerri Maniscalco

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages:  496

Book Title: Kingdom of Souls

Author: Rena Barron

Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 371

Book Title: The Book Jumper

Author: Mechthild Glaser

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 185

Book Title: Un funeste récit

Author: Éric Quesnel

Summary: One day, Martin ran into an old school friend that brings him into some weird journey into the world of conspiracy theories. 

Edited by Little-Star