Little-Star

250 book challenge 2021-2022

@Little-Star, it's an oversized/longer comic book, I would suppose.  if it doesnt count,  I'll take it off then.

also, if each part is about the same length (there will be three parts) but less than 500 pages. and - only part 1 is published.  part 2 should be early next year; who knows when part 3 will actually be published.....

Edited by trystan

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 240 

Book Title:  Hidden Talents (Talents #1)

Author: David Lubar

Rating: 5/5 

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 320

Book Title:  True Talents (Talents #2)

Author: David Lubar

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 347

Book Title:  The Cellar (The Cellar #1)

Author: Natasha Preston

Rating: 4/5 

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 130 

Book Title: The Dispatcher

Author: John Scalzi 

Summary: Tony Valdez is a dispatcher, wich mean that when someone get murdered, he "kills" them to bring them back. One day his friend and coworker, Jimmy desapeared and agent Langdon ask him to help to find Jimmy. 

Edited by Little-Star

I just realise I forgot to post one book 

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 317

Book Title: Cobayes : Yannick

Author: Martin Dubé

Summary: Yannick is the nicest guy in the world, if someone needs help, even a complete stramger, he will land a hand without hesitation. His sister and her son are in need of money and to help them, he decide to join a group to test a new medication. Nothing turns out as it should be. 

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 262

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : La petite sirène 

Author: Sylvain Johnson

Summary: Angie is a young woman with sirenomelia, who lived her whole life as a freak show monster. One day, the circus disbanded and her and some of her friends ran away. All she wants is an operation to get rid of her tail and have working normal legs and life. 

PS: Sirenomelia is a real birth defect which the person is born with fused legs that look like a fish tail. Most people suffering from it are stillborn or die only a few hours after being born. (Only a few lived longer and the oldest one died at age 27). 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 201 (only available on audio but  I calculated an aprox page count from book one of the serie that has a printed version)

Book Title: Murder by Other Means (#2 of The Dispatcher serie)

Author: John Scalzi

Summary: Tony Valdez, after doing a shady contract, is at the bank to deposit the momey when a robbery happens and goes badly. After that, he gets involved in a investigation when many people around him dies of mysterious causes. 

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 292

Book Title:  Once a Witch (Witch #1)

Author: Carolyn MacCullough

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Cobayes : Elliot

Author: Madeleine Robitaille

Summary: *adult book* Elliot is someone that doesn't feel any emotion and the only way he could archive intimatepleasure was by killing women. One day, in need of some more money, he decided to go on for medication testing. How will the product affect him ?

I'm so far behind in my posting... sorry for what's going to be a lengthy post.

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 418

Book Title: Higher Hope: A Tides of Truth Novel

Author: Robert Whitlow

Summary: Tami's work in a Savannah law firm sets her apart so they assign her a libel case against an abrasive outspoken preacher who is either a prophet or a lunatic.

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 270

Book Title: The City of Ember

Author: Jeanne DuPrau

Summary: For as long as anyone can remember, the great lights of Ember have kept the darkness at bay, but now the lights are beginning to flicker...

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 372

Book Title: The Deceiver's Heart

Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen

Summary: When Kestra attempts to slay the tyrannical Lord Endrick, and fails, he strips her of her memory, leaving her bound to obey him.

Book Number: 39

Number Of Pages: 315

Book Title: Roller Coaster

Author: Karin Kallmaker

Summary: Years after their paths crossed on a roller coaster, Laura interviews to become Helen's private chef. Given what Laura revealed during that fateful ride, she is relieved that Helen seems to have forgotten her.

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 338

Book Title: The People of Sparks

Summary: When Lina and Doon lead their people out of Ember, they find shelter with the people of a small village called Sparks.

Book Number: 41

Number Of Pages: 289

Book Title: The Prophet of Yonwood

Summary: In this prequel, Nicole moves to the small town of Yonwood as war looms on the horizon.

Book Number: 42

Number Of Pages: 285

Book Title: The Diamond of Darkhold

Summary: Several months after arriving in Sparks, Lina and Doon find a book with missing pages that appears to refer to a technology the Emberites were meant to have that may still be waiting for them underground.

Book Number: 43

Number Of Pages: 251

Book Title: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

Author: Jean Lee Latham

Summary: Winner of the 1956 Newbery Award, this book is a fictionalized biography of maritimer Nathaniel Bowditch (and an excellent read!).

Book Number: 44

Number Of Pages: 217

Book Title: Unforgettable

Author: Karin Kallmaker

Summary: Singer Rhett Jamison is fresh from a break up when she encounters the oddly familiar Angel.

Book Number: 45

Number Of Pages: 295

Book Title: Out of My Mind

Author: Sharon L. Draper

Summary: Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. She's the smartest kid in her school, but no one knows it because Melody can't talk, can't walk, can't write.

Book Number: 46

Number Of Pages: 339

Book Title: School of Fear

Author: Gitty Daneshvari

Summary: Four children must face their phobias head-on as students of the exclusive School of Fear.

Edited by Lagie
Missed one.

Book Number: 14

Number Of Pages: 330

Book Title: Un roman dont vous êtes la victime : Le visage sous le masque

Author: Vic Verdier

Summary: Victoire is a psychologist working with criminal women. One day, she applied to be the general director of her institution and, but she also learn that her collegue (her only friend at the office) also aply. At the same time she got a complain while the documents to prove it wrong have desapeared. She is sure everything are ties together.

oh this seems like a fun way to keep track of what I'm reading. Definitely gonna do it.

1 hour ago, Skadi said:

oh this seems like a fun way to keep track of what I'm reading. Definitely gonna do it.

You've been added to the list, welcome :)

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 644

Book Title: Hath No Fury

Editor: Melanie R. Meadors

Summary: This anthology focuses on women as the heroines who defy their gender tropes and make differences in their worlds. There are also six essays sprinkled in that give a great non-fiction perspective on why women representation in journalism and publishing is important, and forgotten women in history whose impacts extended far beyond their lives.

Book Number: 5*

Number Of Pages: 318

Book Title: Dune: The Duke of Caladan

Author: Brian Herbert & Kevin J Anderson

Summary: Book 1 of the Caladan trilogy, events in the year leading up to the Atreides' arrival on Arrakis.

(my note: #53 for 2021)

Book Number: 15

Number Of Pages: 171

Book Title: L'esprit des Glaces

Author: Sylvain Johnson

Summary: Walter and his fiancé are on a private plane to reach a congress. During their flight, the pilot had to change their route and ended up flying over mountains. At that point they crash. When he woke up, Walter is faced by an Ice spirit that make him choose between dying or living, but if he choose to live, his fiancé has to become the spirit's slave. 

Book Number: 16

Number Of Pages: 304

Book Title: Crosshairs

Author: Catherine Hernandez

Summary: In a dystopian futur, after a massive flood, the gouvernement decide to brings people of colour, desable people and members of the LGBTQ+ community, also called the others. into labour camp. Kay, a young black gay man is running and will eventually find his way into the resistance against the discrimation and treath of death the "others" are facing.

Edited by Little-Star

[b]Book Number:[/b] 1
[b]Number Of Pages:[/b] 144
[b]Book Title:[/b] Night
[b]Author:[/b] Elie Wiesel
[b]Summary:[/b] A very short but brutal holocaust memoir.
[b]Review:[/b] Reading this as an adult is just a little more sobering than it was as a teen. I think this book needs to be read at least once; definitely worth your time.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 284

Book Title: Aipex: World of Dinosaurs Anthology

Editors: Jonathan M. Thompson & Alana Joli Abbott

Summary: This anthology focuses on dinosaurs as protagonists, villains, beasts of burden, working partners, and bonded allies. Stories take place in prehistoric times, science fiction settings, and in the modern world.

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 356

Book Title: Wayward Son

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Summary: Simon, Baz, and Penelope travel to America in the hopes that a vacation will help with the trauma caused by the events of the first book in the series. (This is the second.) Instead, they are confronted with their own flaws, America's weird system of magic, and another adventure.

Rating: 9/10

Review: Perhaps not the most eloquent or beautifully written, but I can tell the author had fun writing. As an extension, I had fun reading. Problematic characters are addressed in playful ways. They're allowed to develop and face the consequences of their actions.

Book Number: n/a (not enough pages)

Number Of Pages: 366, graphic novel

Book Title: Hellboy - Seed of Destruction, Omnibus Volume 1

Author: Mike Mignola and John Byrne

Summary: Hellboy, a character supposedly summoned by Nazi cultists, is a supernatural investigator. Throughout this compilation of his adventures, he begins to face who he was made to be and must decide what to do with that fact.

Rating: 8/10

Review: I was skeptical of the superhero-esque art style at first. But throughout the reading, despite cliche villains such as Nazis, I found myself pleasantly surprised with plot twists and the amount of character Hellboy has in comparison to what was portrayed in the movies. To catch plot hooks before they arise, because there is very well done foreshadowing, I recommend a careful reading. Concept art is in the book's back!

Book Number: 47

Number Of Pages: 216

Book Title: Their Unexpected Christmas Gift

Author: Shirley Jump

Summary: A baby is left at the Stone Gap Inn on Christmas Eve. Aunt Viv never expected to be a mother or to meet chef Nick who's a natural with the baby. (It's a Harlequin, so you know how this ends. ;) )

Book Number: 6*

Number Of Pages: 438

Book Title: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

Author: Becky Chambers

Summary: Book 1 of the Wayfarer's series.  meet the crew of the Wayfarer, who makes tunnels in space in their patched-together ship and crew

(my note: #55 for 2021)

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 406

Book Title: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Author: Gregory Maguire

Summary: This story tells the untold history of the Wicked Witch of the West of Oz, from her childhood and college years to adulthood before her untimely death.

Book Number: 17

Number Of Pages: 418

Book Title: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass book 2)

Author: Sarah J Maas

Summary: Now that she is the King's champion, The king sent her assassinating people that he thinks are a threat to the Crown. While she is doing what she is told, she discover new informations about the King and has to find a way to stop him from destroying everything. 

Book Number:18

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: Armada

Author: Ernest Cline

Summary: What if playing a video game was more than it appear. Zach Lightman is a teenage who's playing a lot of his favourite game Armarda. One day he discovers that it was in reality a military simulation to find out and prepare the best of the best for an alien invasion. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 315

Book Title: Star of the Morning

Author: Lynn Kurland

Summary: Morgan, a mercenary who abhors magic, finds herself in possession of a magical sword which she must take to the king of the Nine Kingdoms to protect the realms from an ancient evil magic. Along the way she travels with her fellow mercenaries, the king himself and his brother, both in disguise, and the lesser son of noble trying to make a name for himself outside of his father's holdings.

Book Number: 48

Number Of Pages: 321

Book Title: The Aloha Quilt

Author: Jennifer Chiaverini

Summary: In the middle of a messy divorce, Bonnie has the opportunity to work in Hawaii for several months, meeting new friends and learning new quilting ideas.

Edited by Lagie
typo

Book Number: 7*

Number Of Pages: 528

Book Title: Warriors Super Edition: Leopardstar's Honor

Author: Erin Hunter

Summary: the backstory of Leopardstar, leader of RiverClan in the Forest

(my note: #57 for 2021)