Sketch

Trade Hub "Information/Rules" Page

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Do people actually report them? No, so we didn't see them and that's why you continued to see them. 

Ah so people have to report trades for you guys to actually do things with it. I see. That does help some of your point, it means that at least people who have been banned from trades had other users see their trade, goes "wait this is against the rule", report them, then have the following consequences - it's not just the mods randomly banning them for no reason.

24 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Is that fair? I dunno, probably not?

Now this has my eyebrows raised. If you're admitting that this is not fair I feel like someone should be looking into how to make it fair. I do hope TJ is looking at this thread and doing changes in the back. This system is flawed on its own if it miss such a large portion of trades that's technically against the rule (and should be strictly enforced according to your logic).

image.png.5f2d41e44c8e1798e99b85f8f037d41d.png

Edit to add this that I just saw: Oh and this is also not helpful. Their trade message does help me understand what type of offer th trade's creator is looking for. They're looking for a 2g salt. It's just it's targeted at only a few people. This box seem to be telling me to not report that lmao, kinda funny

13 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No IOU topics or posts are allowed. IOU's are not an option of the game, IOU's are agreements made between members. As we (DC) are not responsible for any IOU's made, allowing a topic/posts gives members the impression we condone the practice, which we don't. Therefore, these topics/posts will not be allowed. Members accept IOU's at their own risk, we at DC are not responsible for any agreements made between members. No IOUs in threads includes both asking for or offering to take them.

Hey Fuzz, that is from the forum rule. It's not on site, or on any other site. Kaini said if you direct iou to forum then you are subject to forum rules, but what about directing to discord? Personal contact format like email? None of those have rules about iou not allowed, huh. 

And lastly a general on the teleport page rules:

I do think the teleportation page can be reformatted to make the rules clearer honestly, or at least put the help/trading as "detailed rule" link near the "warning" instead of next to "read more about teleports". And a visible strike history/system on the teleport/trade page that clearly stated what the trade message you sent was and why it was against the rule. 

Edited by Moriaty

3 minutes ago, Alwerien said:

So if it's something you personally consider mundane and not worth spending time of your day to make reports, how can something like that if reported be treated as worthy of permaban? This does seem rather contradicting. The example with highway speeding there would apply only if there were also cops going by and deciding to not catch him cos they don't want to waste the time.

It's not worthy of a permaban, as stated over and over, it takes several warnings to get to a permaban. It's not contradicting at all. If you repeatedly break rules, get caught repeatedly breaking the rules, that's where it ends up a permaban. You don't have your license revoked for speeding once, you gotta get caught at it several times.

5 minutes ago, Alwerien said:

I would also like to say that with having a certain position (like being a mod for example) comes a certain responsibility you don't seem to be willing to accept. As far as I have been always taught, being a moderator is a customer service job, even when it's a free position. You are there for the users, they are not there for you. 

Well, that's just hurtful, especially considering I'm currently the only one here accepting this kind of verbal abuse for the sake of trying to do my job. What do you want me to do?

And well, in real life it may surprise you to know I work in customer service, and let me tell you, the customer is not always right, and it is NOT my job to kiss their boots, in reality or virtually. My job is to deliver a product in both cases, and in the case of DC I suppose would be more akin to law enforcement in making sure things run smoothly. If that makes the bad guy sometimes... it be what it be. Not that I'm trying to be one, by any means.

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Sadly as others have pointed out, we might not get notifications for a warning for weeks due to a backlog.

Yea, here we go again, this does not happen because reports time out, there are none that wait for weeks. Weeks is an exaggeration, days maybe.

3 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

Ah so people have to report trades for you guys to actually do things with it. I see. That does help some of your point, it means that at least people who have been banned from trades had other users see their trade, goes "wait this is against the rule", report them, then have the following consequences - it's not just the mods randomly banning them for no reason.

This is correct. A report must exist. I can also create reports, because my account is also a normal user, but a report must exist. And I cannot act solely on my own report.

4 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

Now this has my eyebrows raised. If you're admitting that this is not fair I feel like someone should be looking into how to make it fair. I do hope TJ is looking at this thread and doing changes in the back. This system is flawed on its own if it miss such a large portion of trades that's technically against the rule (and should be strictly enforced according to your logic).

I mean this in a general 'life isn't always fair' kind of way. We do try to act as fairly as possible for a human. Just I can't act on reports that don't get made, that isn't my fault or me attempting to act unfairly, it's just that I didn't see it, so it slipped by. it happens. Again with the analogy of people speeding on the highway, cops don't catch literally every guy that speeds ever, but if you speed, you know you could be caught.

5 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

Hey Fuzz, that is from the forum rule. It's not on site, or on any other site. Kaini said if you direct iou to forum then you are subject to forum rules, but what about directing to discord? Personal contact format like email? None of those have rules about iou not allowed, huh.

IOUs are not possible to coordinate on the site alone. You can't put your email in trades, and IOUs are also banned on the official DC discord. Not sure what you're saying here.

6 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

And lastly a general on the teleport page rules:

I do think the teleportation page can be reformatted to make the rules clearer honestly, or at least put the help/trading as "detailed rule" link near the "warning" instead of next to "read more about teleports". And a visible strike history/system on the teleport/trade page that clearly stated what the trade message you sent was and why it was against the rule. 

I'm down with changing it from 'read more about teleports' to making it more clearly a rule page.

8 minutes ago, animatedrose said:

At this point, nothing either users or mods say is ultimately going to do anything. Short of giving up and accepting that nothing is going to change since this has been a problem for years now, all we can do is wait on if TJ dubs this worth his time to respond to or if the thread will be shut without a word. All we're doing is going in circles, yelling at each other and not making any positive progress. So all anyone can do is give up and wait on TJ.

Yea, I'm pretty much done being stressed for today unless anyone has any specific questions for me. No, no one's gonna shut the thread without a word. No one's yelling, I hope. But there is the option that things will be changed :)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Kaini said:

He sees all of this and takes it all into consideration. He just knows better than me to stick his hand in the lion's den.

respectfully, it’s become a lion’s den because there’s not full transparency with trade hub rules and subsequent ban-able offenses. he needs to please address this. 

I’ve been on forums for too many years to count, and I’ve never seen a userbase practically beg for clearly defined rules. someone else mentioned (and I agree) that it’s better to have more information than less, when it comes to breaking rules that can get you banned from an important aspect of the Dragon Cave experience.  

41 minutes ago, Alwerien said:

I would also like to say that with having a certain positon (like being a mod for example) comes a certain responsibility you don't seem to be willing to accept. As far as I have been always taught, being a moderator is a customer service job, even when it's a free position. 

100% agree with Alwerien that being a mod is customer service when it comes to helping the userbase navigate a site. 

I understand that the mods get a lot of hate and it’s not an easy job to do but please understand that the userbase is upset because again, the rules are vague in the first place— this is the root of the problem and we are asking for the site Admin to please address this. 

Edited by mishhelle

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Kaini said:

It's not worthy of a permaban, as stated over and over, it takes several warnings to get to a permaban. It's not contradicting at all. If you repeatedly break rules, get caught repeatedly breaking the rules, that's where it ends up a permaban. You don't have your license revoked for speeding once, you gotta get caught at it several times.

I think the dissonance here is because...if you can get warned for it, you can get banned for it. That's how the system works, right? Therefore claiming something is warn worthy is claiming its permaban worthy. Saying it's not a contradiction, is a contradiction.

Edited by Tini

Posted (edited)

48 minutes ago, Kaini said:

IOUs are not possible on the site alone, though. There is no possible way to coordinate an IOU on the site alone, and if you direct people to the forum for it, you are subject to the forum rules where they are disallowed. And if you do manage to coordinate an IOU on the site only by 'talking' to the other person with trade messages, that violates the hub rules by directing messages at a specific person.

You are targeting the one person who picks up the egg. Only that one person can actually respond to the trade. If you ask for a CB gold, anyone can catch that and multiple exist. Yes anyone can catch an auto ap'd egg, but only one exists so only one person can respond. With a CB gold for example, anyone who currently has one can respond.

Yes it is against the rules, to ask for a specific 2G Thuwed. If that makes a more frustrating experience that's unfortunate, but if you're looking for something that specific the hub isn't really useful anyway. You'd need to just contact the one person that has it. If you have to just ask for any 2G thuwed, players are welcomed to decline ones they don't want. I don't think it's going to be possible to rid the hub of all frustration and still keep people from being harassed/keep site rules enforced. it's just not.

Within the current realm of the rules, they are allowed. This is what I am telling you. 

They are relevant to anybody viewing the hub. They clearly state what they want, and are not targeting any particular person. They are not linking off site. And most aren't explicitly asking for IOUs, just welcoming it as an option for people who don't have an egg on hand. There is nothing in the site rules that says you cannot do this. 

You cannot police people's trades in DMs. IOUs have always been done in private, with "I accept IOUs" fitting in people's signatures and profiles for years. But that's just the forum. There's other sites and avenues that people can and do utilize to contact people on this game. They can completely circumnavigate the forums and forum rules to complete this trade. 

Ultimately, nothing in the rules states anything about the hub trade having to be completed on site. And that's not even policeable. 

I did not say that you can't ask for a specific 2G thuwed, as that clearly falls "targeting one person" rule. I said you can't ask for ANY 2G Thuwed. I imagine an unsolicited DM asking someone to trade something they have is also able to be considered harassment, so should not really be cited as an alternative? At least on the hub, I can ignore and not directly interact with someone (and I have to do so all the time). 

Edited by schenanigans

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Kaini said:

IOUs are not possible to coordinate on the site alone. You can't put your email in trades, and IOUs are also banned on the official DC discord. Not sure what you're saying here.

What I meant is to initiate an IOU all you need is "some way of contacting each other", which does not come down to just discord or forum where there is in fact a no IOU rule enforced and thus make the trade against the rule (also DC discord just enforces no iou within the server, I can have a discord account without joining the server and there's no rule that I can't discuss this in private - or on a private server). I can even put my facebook username in there. I just think if this is universally true for all dc related media to not allow iou and for iou to not be allowed in trade messages this rule should be stated on site in the trading hub rule and pointing to a forum rule section when someone ask why is it not ok to say "lf gold, will breed stat for you, pm xx to discuss" something.

Something like "you are not allowed to offer something you do not currently own" would suffice

(though on a side note, is "offers, I accept iou, contact xx to discuss" also not allowed? Since it's not you that is trying to offer an egg that you don't have, you're just opening that option to the other side, which is what people also typically do in forum signature (I accept IOU) and stuff to avoid directly hitting the rule)

Edited by Moriaty

20 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Spriters may also breed multiple of their alts at a time, I know Odeen and TCA had some batches this Christmas that I tried hunting down with others. Same as a Thuwed.

Yes and as I and Kaini both said - asking for a 2g SA-kin is OK; asking for a specific one, not so OK. In holiday season - that IS a tricky one....

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

IOUs are not allowed as a part of the game:

• No IOU topics or posts are allowed. IOU's are not an option of the game, IOU's are agreements made between members. As we (DC) are not responsible for any IOU's made, allowing a topic/posts gives members the impression we condone the practice, which we don't. Therefore, these topics/posts will not be allowed. Members accept IOU's at their own risk, we at DC are not responsible for any agreements made between members. No IOUs in threads includes both asking for or offering to take them.

This is a forum rule. This is not a site rule. 

It's really annoying that you're trying to minimod? Or argue against people? When you have no authority to make any claims or decisions. 

Edited by schenanigans

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes and as I and Kaini both said - asking for a 2g SA-kin is OK; asking for a specific one, not so OK. In holiday season - that IS a tricky one....

didn't Kaini just say that's against the rules?

2 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

Within the current realm of the rules, they are allowed. This is what I am telling you.

What I'm trying to say is it's not possible to have an IOU on the site. There's no DMing on the site, where are you DMing someone to set it up, then? No one using the hub and only the hub is going to even attempt to say 'IOUs accepted - DM me' because it isn't possible. I think I'm just not understanding what it is you're trying to say, so if you'd like to discuss further you're welcome to DM me - I really am pretty well done with this thread rn.

6 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

This is a forum rule. This is not a site rule. 

Schen is correct here, fuzz.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Actually, Kaini said here that asking for 2g SA is not allowed at all outside of the holidays...

I'm on mobile and quotes are wonky but it's the part that says "This is correct and this behavior would result in a strike".

Edited by MissK.

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

I don't think the mods can hope to look at every single trade to check - it relies on us reporting. They have lives and jobs like we do.

36 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

You can't OFFER an IOU on the hub, so it can't work there. (and I gather they are banned in the official discord ? I wouldn't know; I don't go there.

16 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

They are relevant to anybody viewing the hub. They clearly state what they want, and are not targeting any particular person. They are not linking off site. And most aren't explicitly asking for IOUs, just welcoming it as an option for people who don't have an egg on hand. There is nothing in the site rules that says you cannot do this. 

You cannot police people's trades in DMs. IOUs have always been done in private, with "I accept IOUs" fitting in people's signatures and profiles for years. But that's just the forum. There's other sites and avenues that people can and do utilize to contact people on this game. They can completely circumnavigate the forums and forum rules to complete this trade. 

How can you offer an IOU - you have to put up an egg/hatchie. Yes we all (well, a lot of us) accept them in sigs - but they aren't allowed as an official thing, and you have to circumnavigate to do it. They can't be offered in a response to a trade, only by work-arounds. I cannot imagine a rule for the hub that could sort that.

16 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

What I meant is to initiate an IOU all you need is "some way of contacting each other", which does not come down to just discord or forum where there is in fact a no IOU rule enforced and thus make the trade against the rule (also DC discord just enforces no iou within the server, I can have a discord account without joining the server and there's no rule that I can't discuss this in private - or on a private server). I can even put my facebook username in there. I just think if this is universally true for all dc related media to not allow iou and for iou to not be allowed in trade messages this rule should be stated on site in the trading hub rule and pointing to a forum rule section when someone ask why is it not ok to say "lf gold, will breed stat for you, pm xx to discuss" something.

Something like "you are not allowed to offer something you do not currently own" would suffice

That would be excellent.

16 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

(though on a side note, is "offers, I accept iou, contact xx to discuss" also not allowed? Since it's not you that is trying to offer an egg that you don't have, you're just opening that option to the other side, which is what people also typically do in forum signature (I accept IOU) and stuff to avoid directly hitting the rule)

There are people who have a creature called "I accept IOUs at the top of their scroll. Even so - it cannot be completed on the hub.

13 minutes ago, Tini said:

didn't Kaini just say that's against the rules?

Oh oops. Fair cop. Though in that case there are a few trades up there that shouldn't be, right now this minute, Or is "2g SA auto" OK ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Posted (edited)

IOUs cannot be completed on the hub, but people can absolutely offer them (or ask for them). You can ask people to message you privately in the forum or on discord. Or can you? I've asked multiple times if it's against the rules to say "message me on forum/discord" and nobody seems to know...also a thing that isn't mentioned in the rules anywhere. 

Edited by MissK.

Posted (edited)

30 minutes ago, Kaini said:

If we are already staying on that analogy, if I get my license revoked I also get to do a test in 1-2 years to have my license reissued depending on the original infraction. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give a chance to users with permabans caused by such light issues after a longer period of time to come back on probatory period.  Honestly, I just don't think something that's possibly caused by misinterpreting vague unclear rules like that even is worth being on same level as other things that clearly do deserve a permaban.  If the rules were clear without chance to be misinterpreted (which I see is the only part of my post you have decided not to reply to), then they wouldn't be able to say the ban is unfair. I mean, wouldn't this be good for you as well? You wouldn't have to feel like you are forced to be "the bad guy".

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There are people who have a creature called "I accept IOUs at the top of their scroll. Even so - it cannot be completed on the hub.

The question was never whether it can be completed on the hub but whether posting such a trade initiating the possibility is against rules or not. As you have said, even if not in the trade, people can have their contact info on their scroll if they so wish.

Edited by Alwerien

4 minutes ago, Kaini said:

What I'm trying to say is it's not possible to have an IOU on the site. There's no DMing on the site, where are you DMing someone to set it up, then? No one using the hub and only the hub is going to even attempt to say 'IOUs accepted - DM me' because it isn't possible.

Of course you’re technically correct but without having read this thread that is something that would never occur to me. IOUs happen all the time, people have it in their profiles and signatures, it’s normal. Also, no one perceives the forums as being off-site. So putting “IOU fine, pm me” will seem very obvious and natural to most players unless they run into this thread or into a warn. 

But of course, anyone not on forum can't do that.

I got headaches from reading the discussions. Oops. For me I just stick to the most basic trading wants, but I often see people saying contact them on forum for IOU / pm for details / etc on the market page. Never would have thought they could be banned for that, and I might have made the same mistake if I weren't too lazy to coordinate something like that.

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think the mods can hope to look at every single trade to check - it relies on us reporting. They have lives and jobs like we do.

Taking the highway speeding and cops example, that is why there's speed detector now which automatically takes a photo of your license if you pass the limit (albeit only in some of the more fancy cities/countries). And I think you still get to argue your case if you don't agree (I've never done that so correct me if I'm wrong). This system is flawed with how it currently is, I understand that mods have lives but there's obviously room for improvement, of the system, not just the modes

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How can you offer an IOU - you have to put up an egg/hatchie. Yes we all (well, a lot of us) accept them in sigs - but they aren't allowed as an official thing, and you have to circumnavigate to do it. They can't be offered in a response to a trade, only by work-arounds. I cannot imagine a rule for the hub that could sort that.

In trade forum post can you say "I accept IOU"? I can't remember as I haven't used it enough times and it was a long time ago. Or are you strictly only allow to say "look at my sig and I accept that"? (the latter is kind of similar to what you're saying about having a creature named accept iou or a group, so I guess that's what we're expected to do...?)

Then again forum rules specified that no iou topics are allowed. On site rule did not.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But of course, anyone not on forum can't do that.

I can stick my facebook username in there and say pm me on there, can't I?

I also think personal email is possible, maybe there're symbols you can't type out but it's fairly easy to replace them with letters, and it's not a link per se so it's not off-site-link rule violation

My point was that if mentioning iou in on site trade message is worthy of a ban (albeit temporary one if first offense) then it's worthy of a mention in rule section. You can't enact forum rules on site unless it stated clearly somewhere that "here's an offsite (since apparently forum is considered offsite lol) link to a bunch of rules that you need to also follow while using trading hub on site"

Edited by Moriaty

Posted (edited)

I hate seeing this thread turn into people growling at each other.  Please, everyone, go to your kennels! (Sorry, I'm a dog trainer and that's how I'd separate my dogs when they got grumpy - oh, and if anyone feels it's an insult to compare you to dogs, I absolutely adored every dog I've had).

I still think clarification of the rules will help tremendously. To that end, here is a new list based on what I've seen in this forum discussion. Keeping what is put on the trading page short and concise yet clear is important.

- Describe what you're offering and what you want.

- Do not ask for a specific code, a specific 2g SAlt or 2g Thuwed, or an auto-abandoned egg/hatchling.

- Do not post links to other sites including the DC forum.

- Do not ask for or offer IOU's.

- Do not use offensive language or insult or harass another player.

Warning: Use of the trading forum against stated rules may result in disciplinary actions, inc!uding loss of ability to create public trades. For more information on trading rules, go to [link to expanded rules].

Expanded rules could/should explain things in a way that even a newbie player will understand. They'll also want to know what is meant by specific codes, 2g SAlts, Thuweds, IOU's.  All of those were confusing to me at first.

In those expanded rules, it would be helpful to have some info on what happens if you DO make a forum blunder.  A simple explanation of warnings and what results in a permaban would help alleviate confusion. 

I'm sure I've missed something so please offer suggestions.  There is a compromise between putting enough to cover the most important rules, and keeping it short enough that people will read it. With a link to expanded rules most things can be covered. 

Edited by laevsk

4 minutes ago, laevsk said:

I still think clarification of the rules will help tremendously. To that end, here is a new list based on what I've seen in this forum discussion. Keeping what is put on the trading page short and concise yet clear is important.

- Do not ask for a specific code, a specific 2g SAlt or 2g Thuwed, or an auto-abandoned egg/hatchling.

Warning: Use of the trading forum against stated rules may result in disciplinary actions, inc!uding loss of ability to create public trades. For more information on trading rules, go to [link to expanded rules].

Expanded rules could/should explain things in a way that even a newbie player will understand. They'll also want to know what is meant by specific codes, 2g SAlts, Thuweds, IOU's.  All of those were confusing to me at first.

In those expanded rules, it would be helpful to have some info on what happens if you DO make a forum blunder.  A simple explanation of warnings and what results in a permaban would help alleviate confusion. 

I'm sure I've missed something so please offer suggestions.  There is a compromise between putting enough to cover the most important rules, and keeping it short enough that people will read it. With a link to expanded rules most things can be covered. 

Missed one that was suggested:

- Do not offer something you do not currently own"

Posted (edited)

Wow, that's a rule I never imagined would be needed. Is it actually a problem? Wouldn't that be covered under "no IOU's"?  Maybe it could be combined with the IOU rule if it's needed - or clarified in the expanded rules. 

- Do not ask for or offer IOU's or offer something you don't currently own.

Warning: Use of the trading forum against stated rules may result in disciplinary actions, inc!uding loss of ability to create public trades. For more information on trading rules, go to [link to expanded rules].

Edited by laevsk

Posted (edited)

On 1/6/2024 at 1:38 PM, Moriaty said:

Or I can stick my facebook username in there and say pm me on there, can't I?

I also think personal email is possible, maybe there're symbols you can't type out but it's fairly easy to replace them with letters, and it's not a link per se so it's not off-site-link rule violation

No, you sure can't as it's taking people off-site (and well, also doxxing yourself) and no you can't slip a personal email in a trade for the same reason omg. 

This is EXACTLY why TJ is against making the rules more specific - this, right here. Because it isn't a LINK, it's okay right? 

No, it isn't, everything said above is definitely a no no and you took the word link too literally because that's what was specified. Frankly this rule needs to be un-specific'd to just say taking people off site (note you can direct people to DM you on the forums/Discord, without leaving a link) is prohibited. 

Don't doxx yourself on the hub please. 

Edited by purpledragonclaw
adding clarity for Discord and forum references

So s saying "DM me on the forum" not allowed?  I see it frequently.

Posted (edited)

On 1/6/2024 at 1:39 PM, laevsk said:

I like these, but I do think they are a little too specific. We at least need a 'but not limited to' somewhere.

Do not post links to other sites including the DC forum.

Ex: Oh but I can post a link to my discord username for people to contact me there? Mmk! Must totally be allowed. No. Also not allowed.

Do not ask for or offer IOU's.

Ex: Oh but I can say 'offer a dummy on my other trade' if I want eight hatchlings for one gold though right? it's not an I owe you later!

(I'd rather word this one as 'Trades that cannot be completed within the bounds of the hub / the bounds of one teleport are not permitted' I think)

Do not use offensive language or insult or harass another player.

Ex: I'm gonna just call all the mods meanies then :) It's not against a specific player and 'meanies' is not a bad word.

'Kai you're being purposefully obtuse' eh, see above...

Actually now that I think about it...

Nowhere does it say SPECIFICALLY not to use foul language or start on racist rants etc, but people have been banned for that. Ya'll have a problem with that? Or is that basic decency we should all kind of know by virtue of the fact this is a PG game, yes? Mods discretion?

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Edited for clarity with Discord.

@Kaini So just to be absolutely clear, we cannot mention being contacted anywhere (discord, the forums etc)? And then I assume not mentioning forum wishlists either because that would be directing people offsite? 

And regarding 2g SA/thuwed, which are not allowed either (again just to be absolutely clear cause this is all new info to me), does that rule still stand regardless of if it's the only ask in the trade? Or is it okay if someone includes "or offers"? I assume it should work the same as asking for a specific egg that auto'd, it can't happen at all, right?