Lushwave

/random/pair Within Groups

So, one of the things I and perhaps others do here is occasional mass-breeding; I like to chug out 2G eggs from my caveborns every once in a while. For these purposes, I absolutely adore the /random/pair function since it makes mass-breeding not only significantly faster, but a lot more fun with the surprise element of randomness.

The one issue is that the page selects from the entirety of one's scroll. I own lineaged dragons, project dragons, and other dragons who I may not want to breed willy-nilly. Who knows how often I bred a project dragon to a random caveborn and found myself having to wait out the breeding cooldown I initiated on accident. It's also pretty awkward accidentally creating messies when I only mean for 2Gs.

(Furthermore, I also find it weird that the page throws unbreedables and uncorporealized Celestials, as well as pairing together dragons of different breeding groups; if dragons on their breeding cooldown are made unavailable for /random/pair, what's to say unbreedables shouldn't also be made unavailable?)

As a result of this issue, /random/pair breeding becomes tedious since I have to, very often, skip past incompatible pairings or pairings I would otherwise personally want to avoid.

My proposed solution would be to enable /random/pair to work within specified groups. 

Let's say we have the URL https://dragcave.net/random/pair
and augment it to be https://dragcave.net/group/134026/random/pair or something similar; 
this would initiate the random pairing mechanic to work only on the dragons located within 134026 and nobody outside of that. 
Actual implementation may vary; this is just the first idea I envisioned.

Why? Groups are excellent at rounding up nice swaths of dragons to pick and breed from; the group I showed contains precisely all the dragons I wish to mass-produce from. With this, I and others can craft groups specifically for toying with /random/pair, for mass-breeding, getting pairing/lineage ideas, or other purposes, without other dragons from forgotten corners of the scroll getting in the way. With regard to the overall impact on the playerbase, I think if we make /random/pair more controllable, it will be more useful for many users.

For the record, this is more of a QoL request than anything, so it's not urgent, nor is the non-robustness of /random/pair a site-breaking thing. I'm already aware that "it's not an integral feature" or that some folks "won't see themselves using this", in case someone will come pop up with those or similar sentiments. I just figured I'd voice my concerns about a little feature I love, and hopefully be heard and responded to.

Additional ideas? Complaints? Pros and cons? Never knew /random/pair existed until now? I'd love to hear additional thoughts, I promote open discussion :3

This sounds like it'd be a great feature! Would be very convenient for starting lineages. 

36 minutes ago, Lushwave said:

that some folks "won't see themselves using this"

I will admit I am one of those people [but that's mostly because I forget about the random pair function and rarely breed my dragons anyhow] - however I could see this being useful for those who do like to use the function.

That aside, if there's an option to use it within a group, I wonder if it could go both ways and exclude a group [I am aware you do not have to breed the pair shown, but it could save time if you want to eliminate the chance of certain dragons showing up]

Support! I would use random pair a lot more if we had this option. Or any option to narrow down the randomness a bit more.

2 hours ago, Lushwave said:

Never knew /random/pair existed until now?

OK, I'll bite.  I don't recall ever seeing this before although it's possible I might have read about it and then, since it wasn't anything I would be likely to use very much, forgot it.  Please post a link or otherwise explain it.  :D

yes please! I'd love to be able to randomly pair my codes and cbs together ^^

Edit: would love celestials still on their cooldown to be removed also

Edited by Arcy

2 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

That aside, if there's an option to use it within a group, I wonder if it could go both ways and exclude a group [I am aware you do not have to breed the pair shown, but it could save time if you want to eliminate the chance of certain dragons showing up]

The statement in bold nicely captures my reasoning for a narrower /random/pair as a whole! All the refreshing past pairs is definitely time consuming, and douses the appeal of random pairing as it currently stands.

I can't quite envision how an implementation for group exclusion would work, but nonetheless I like the idea of exclusion!

1 hour ago, Stormcaller said:

Please post a link or otherwise explain it.  :D

The main post already includes the link and sort-of explains it, but here:

Visiting the url https://dragcave.net/random/pair takes you to a page where any two dragons you own, one male and one female, is shown, as well as a "Breed" button under them if the pairing is compatible, like so:

1080766532_Screenshot(10).png.35c2fa7e3ada094d759d4cd2d4b1b84f.png

Upon clicking Breed you are immediately taken to the result (they make an egg, they show no interest, etc) regardless of whether you have an eggslot available. Refreshing the /random/pair URL shows you a different pairing every time. It may also include unbreedables in pairing, such as chickens, which often make for some interesting screencaps.

28 minutes ago, Lushwave said:

The main post already includes the link and sort-of explains it, but here:

Visiting the url https://dragcave.net/random/pair takes you to a page where any two dragons you own, one male and one female, is shown, as well as a "Breed" button under them if the pairing is compatible, like so...

Thank you, Lushwave.  I can see where some of the combinations might be interesting too.   Funny, I don't remember seeing it before.

I would support this. It is probably the only way I would find the random breed feature useful. I have too many dragons that are part of lineages or projects that I would never want to randomly breed, so it is currently useless to me.

yes! i'd love the /random/pair feature if it was nicer to use. i use it on occasion, but just end up wasting a lot of time refreshing through pairs that i wouldnt want to breed (a cb and a lineaged, a project dragon and a messy... etc)

also, just something minor, why in the WORLD does this happen??? XD 

image.png.69e6e0a51bb4235a101ac2723bd7db83.png

9 minutes ago, InvaderAlexis said:

It just picks from your scroll at, well, random. I wouldn't want that going away, I enjoy seeing the wacky impossible pairs. Chicken x silver new otp.

42 minutes ago, InvaderAlexis said:

yes! i'd love the /random/pair feature if it was nicer to use. i use it on occasion, but just end up wasting a lot of time refreshing through pairs that i wouldnt want to breed (a cb and a lineaged, a project dragon and a messy... etc)

I want to know what egg you got from the pairing!

Either one would be worth a fortune! XD

I'm in the list of that didn't know this was a thing, but I still support.

Personally I'd go a step further and be able to just breed within a specific group  (and/or exclude a group) I think it would help with a lot of lineage projects. Also make it easier to exclude "wrong" mates ie: if it's not in group x, it won't show up dispite accidentally breeding them together before.

I would love this. As it is right now, I cannot use it for the same reasons as the OP stated.

I would totally use it on my "any caveborn" group, or on my "more than one page of lineage" group to create more of the wonderful real messies - those that don't look like "just accidents"! :D

I support this! To make the feature worth using for me I'd need it to at the very least show the names (so I know who I'm breeding) and eliminate the incompatible pairings, but breeding randomly specifically within groups would be fantastic.

Support - I would love this!

My "breed for AP" group only has lineaged dragons with specific mates, but I would love to have an easy way to breed random 2nd gens.

10 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

I'm in the list of that didn't know this was a thing, but I still support.

Personally I'd go a step further and be able to just breed within a specific group  (and/or exclude a group) I think it would help with a lot of lineage projects. Also make it easier to exclude "wrong" mates ie: if it's not in group x, it won't show up dispite accidentally breeding them together before.

Both the original idea and this secondary idea, please. Total support.

Supporting this! :) I'd definitely use random/pair more if I could set it to draw dragons from a certain group, e.g. CBs.

11 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Personally I'd go a step further and be able to just breed within a specific group  (and/or exclude a group) I think it would help with a lot of lineage projects.

Wait, can you explain this further?

I thought my post already mentions being able to randomly breed within a specified group, do you mean something else?

I don't have the best comprehension, I apologize :0

14 hours ago, Lushwave said:

Wait, can you explain this further?

I thought my post already mentions being able to randomly breed within a specified group, do you mean something else?

I don't have the best comprehension, I apologize :0

I mean normal breeding. Have the list populate only for a single group (or minus a group).

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

I mean normal breeding. Have the list populate only for a single group (or minus a group).

Oh I see; that's maybe a different topic from here, though this would be neat, too.