Murkydepths

ANSWERED:allow props on concepted Drake sprites/domesticated drakes

Okay, so I personally have never understood the "no props" rule given the white has been around since the beginning. (Also how did Soulstones and Pumpkins get around that rule? Its okay for holiday dragons?) There were a good number of beautiful sprites that got nixed off the completed list when that rule was decided. :(

That said, I really don't think it makes sense to remove the rule for only some sprites.

18 hours ago, Keileon said:

To speak of the examples, why do they have to be items? The lanterns could be replaced with glowing Mana in the antlers, the fish could be replaced with a natural lure on the tail. There are ways to do most of these ideas with a natural feature of the drake, meaning one wouldn't have to hope they can circumvent the "no props" rule for concepts and sprites.

It would make them work as CBs as well, as they wouldn't necessarily have to be bred for the purpose, just domesticated and trained for it, which are different things.

Personally, I would love this!

Could it work as a bsa, so one could add/remove or do nothing depending on their preferences? 

like the Gystere's have the redecorate bsa--one doesn't have to redecorate if they don't wish to.

6 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

It's totally understandable why people would not want to make drakes though, even with a larger population they can't compare to the sheer variety of regular dragons and there's nothing that sets them apart as special. And your proposed suggestion is already somewhat in effect, if you submit a drake you have far less competition and more chance of getting in cave. People know this and would still rather submit regular dragons. I think rather than putting more limits on what people can create, we should be incentivising making drakes? Maybe by...giving them a feature unavailable to other groups? I think it's odd to try and force a userbase to love a breeding group with obvious flaws for a visual-based game. 

I don't know anyone who says "I will never make a drake".  I just don't think drakes are at the forefront of people's minds. There are tons of dragon concepts that could easily be adapted to be a drake (they basically need 4 legs and leathery wings), I think people just need to be reminded/encouraged to do so.

Also, that's not true - DR is restricted to 50 concepts at a time. If 90% of those are regular dragon requests, any drake requests will be diluted in the same queue as all the dragon, pygmy, and two-headed concepts, and it could take 6 months or more to see two drake concepts finally pop up.

If there are 10 slots saved for drakes, you'd always have 10 drake concepts being worked on. And once a drake is done, another drake request would take its place - it's not diluted in all the regular dragon requests, and since drakes probably have fewer concepts in the queue, you'll see your concept faster than if it's a regular dragon.

If you want to introduce a BSA that involves training or saddling a drake to change its sprite (ex saddle), you could try it. No idea if it would be accepted. I think most drakes could work with natural features that were bred for, as opposed to adding items.

2090016933_ScreenShot2021-02-19at5_14_16PM.thumb.png.e20ab0a94b40dccacc6bff9fe412cdfa.png

Edited by High Lord November

21 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

I don't know anyone who says "I will never make a drake".  I just don't think drakes are at the forefront of people's minds. There are tons of dragon concepts that could easily be adapted to be a drake (they basically need 4 legs and leathery wings), I think people just need to be reminded/encouraged to do so.

Also, that's not true - DR is restricted to 50 concepts at a time. If 90% of those are regular dragon requests, any drake requests will be diluted in the same queue as all the dragon, pygmy, and two-headed concepts, and it could take 6 months or more to see two drake concepts finally pop up.

If there are 10 slots saved for drakes, you'd always have 10 drake concepts being worked on. And once a drake is done, another drake request would take its place - it's not diluted in all the regular dragon requests, and since drakes probably have fewer concepts in the queue, you'll see your concept faster than if it's a regular dragon.

DR is restricted by topics, but sending directly to Tj isn't. This just feels like trying to force a userbase already working for free to make a certain type of breeding group just because it wasn't designed terribly well initially. There is already the slight incentive to make drakes to get in cave faster, this just forces it even more so. It doesn't make drakes more appealing, they're still always going to be 'dragons but lesser' in terms of visuals because they have nothing unique to them visually. You could adapt dragons into drakes, but why would you when all that means is the breeding pool is smaller and people won't be as excited for it? The breeding pool for drakes is never going to be as big as regulars, and even if it were they would still not be on the same level because regular dragons can have much more varied designs. I'm proposing to give drakes something that'd make them special, rather than 'special for the sake of special' which does them no favours. An incentive rather than another restriction. 

5 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

And no offence, but the suggestions forum is a little infamous for any change = bad. But I'll ask some actual spriters/concept creators and see what they think.

My reasoning for items (and the domestication) is this: Drakes are not a great breeding group because they have nothing physically special that separates them from regular dragons. This is an art based game, you collect art. It'd be pretty pointless for me to suggest 'people should make more drakes', that's not so much of a suggestion as an opinion. 

A lot of the people commenting here are concept creators and spriters (or at the very least, are fairly familiar with dragon requests and have been around a long time). You may want to seek the input of more in-cave artists for this.

"Adding items to drakes will make them more special/interesting/adjective of choice" is also an opinion. 

In this instance, the push back is less "change is bad" and more of "why should this change only affect drakes?"

13 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

DR is restricted by topics, but sending directly to Tj isn't. This just feels like trying to force a userbase already working for free to make a certain type of breeding group just because it wasn't designed terribly well initially. There is already the slight incentive to make drakes to get in cave faster, this just forces it even more so. It doesn't make drakes more appealing, they're still always going to be 'dragons but lesser' in terms of visuals because they have nothing unique to them visually. You could adapt dragons into drakes, but why would you when all that means is the breeding pool is smaller and people won't be as excited for it? The breeding pool for drakes is never going to be as big as regulars, and even if it were they would still not be on the same level because regular dragons can have much more varied designs. I'm proposing to give drakes something that'd make them special, rather than 'special for the sake of special' which does them no favours. An incentive rather than another restriction. 

Most people go through DR to get critique and help with spriting a concept. The fact that going straight to TJ is an option doesn't mean anything.

Your fixation on drakes not being appealing is personal to you, not an objective fact - I really like drakes and I do find them appealing. I realized that several of my historic DR requests would be better as drakes, as opposed to the hyper-intelligent, large dragons. I didn't think of making them drakes initially, because it's called 'dragon cave' and defaulting to a dragon is easy. Funneling concepts would increase the amount of two-headed, pygmy, and drake concepts that are available for release, and would theoretically boost the population of all three dragon variants - a win. Look at how people are responding positively to the idea of having a drake with glowing horns. It just needs to be done, it's not impossible.

Adding props to drakes exclusively, is adding something so drakes can be 'special for the sake of being special'. Drakes already have a perfectly good reason for being distinct - it's similar to how marsupials and mammals look similar but are totally distinct, and TJ already said in a recent thread that drakes were there for variety and lore purposes. They are much more velociraptor and more 'natural'/wild than any dragon with the ability to telepathically communicate with humans. Lore-wise, it makes me feel much more comfortable breeding drakes than keeping and breeding human-intelligence+ dragons tbh.

7 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

A lot of the people commenting here are concept creators and spriters (or at the very least, are fairly familiar with dragon requests and have been around a long time). You may want to seek the input of more in-cave artists for this.

"Adding items to drakes will make them more special/interesting/adjective of choice" is also an opinion. 

In this instance, the push back is less "change is bad" and more of "why should this change only affect drakes?"

Also 'why would this change actually help?'.

Personally, I push back against suggestions when the suggestion's premise itself is flawed or based entirely on a very niche opinion. Drakes would be more interesting with the option to have items in the sprite, drakes need something special/unique to make them more appealing, more people would be interested in drakes if they were more unique, all of that is the *opinion* of the OP. And, based on the other posts in this thread, not exactly an opinion shared by a ton of people. 

I love DC and always support suggestions that I think would benefit the userbase in general, regardless of whether I personally would benefit from it. Here, there is just no concrete reason to believe this suggestion would actually be beneficial in any way, If multiple in-cave spriters come in and say they'd totally be more interested in making drakes if they could include items, I would happily support the suggestion! If tons of people chime in saying they'd be more eager to collect drakes if they had items in their sprites, I'd definitely support that too! .... But that's not what is happening. 

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Also 'why would this change actually help?'.

Personally, I push back against suggestions when the suggestion's premise itself is flawed or based entirely on a very niche opinion. Drakes would be more interesting with the option to have items in the sprite, drakes need something special/unique to make them more appealing, more people would be interested in drakes if they were more unique, all of that is the *opinion* of the OP. And, based on the other posts in this thread, not exactly an opinion shared by a ton of people. 

I love DC and always support suggestions that I think would benefit the userbase in general, regardless of whether I personally would benefit from it. Here, there is just no concrete reason to believe this suggestion would actually be beneficial in any way, If multiple in-cave spriters come in and say they'd totally be more interested in making drakes if they could include items, I would happily support the suggestion! If tons of people chime in saying they'd be more eager to collect drakes if they had items in their sprites, I'd definitely support that too! .... But that's not what is happening. 

I think too many people are viewing dragoncave suggestions as 'how to fix game' rather than 'things that could make the game better/more fun'. If allowing items is so unnecessary it wouldn't affect anything, why is it a rule? 

I think we just keep circling around to two problems. Is it the idea of items that are the problem? Or is it the idea of drakes having something visually special? 

10 hours ago, Jazeki said:

Really, people should be making dragons because they want to

You're right! People shouldn't make drakes for the sake of making drakes, they should make drakes because something about drakes interest them! Unfortunately, the other three types have much more possibility to be interested in!

23 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

Your fixation on drakes not being appealing is personal to you, not an objective fact - I really like drakes and I do find them appealing.

A lot of us like drakes, or at least existing drake sprites. But speaking from my viewpoint as someone who also likes to make art, odds are high I would like to draw dragons that have different bodies than the typical 4 legs 2 wings. I wouldn't say I never would draw a drake, but I would say that better be a really cool drake concept to attract me from drawing a drake when I could be drawing other cool, interestingly styled concepts.

The odds of an artist loving a drake concept long enough to finish it to a fine polish is so, so low. You can talk about "lore" and "concepts" all you want but at the end of the day, this game is based on the art and artists, and if there are no skilled enough artists who want to take a concept up, it's just going to die.

1 minute ago, Shadowdrake said:

A lot of us like drakes, or at least existing drake sprites. But speaking from my viewpoint as someone who also likes to make art, odds are high I would like to draw dragons that have different bodies than the typical 4 legs 2 wings. I wouldn't say I never would draw a drake, but I would say that better be a really cool drake concept to attract me from drawing a drake when I could be drawing other cool, interestingly styled concepts.

I don't think that's true - there are still a ton of 4 legs, 2 wing dragons being made and released into the cave. As an artist, I just need to consciously make the effort to develop a drake and not default to dragons - it isn't an issue of restrictions or interest, it's just an issue of remembering and being encouraged to make them. You can be insanely creative with drakes, and I'm resubmitting some of my previous concepts as drakes, because they work much better. 

I wouldn't be opposed to expanding drake body-types (I don't see any reason why drakes couldn't have evolved vestigial limbs, for example), but that's not the topic of the thread.

2 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

The odds of an artist loving a drake concept long enough to finish it to a fine polish is so, so low. You can talk about "lore" and "concepts" all you want but at the end of the day, this game is based on the art and artists, and if there are no skilled enough artists who want to take a concept up, it's just going to die.

Artists are in short supply, so we can't just assume that they just don't want to work on drakes because they are drakes. 

@Murkydepths Nothing about your suggestion inherently makes the game better or more fun.

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

Artists are in short supply, so we can't just assume that they just don't want to work on drakes because they are drakes. 

@Murkydepths Nothing about your suggestion inherently makes the game better or more fun.

More options are more fun for everyone, just cause you might not like it doesn't mean nobody will, and if nobody likes it - no harm in removing the rule cause nobody would do it anyway. Is the problem items, or drakes having something visually special?

The problem is that this is not a change that affects all of the dragon groups. Why should only drake sprites have the ability to have items, but not any of the others?

To be honest, this won't do anything to alter my perspective of drakes if it gets implemented, but I don't see a real reason to support it. 

Edited by Jazeki

34 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

The problem is that this is not a change that affects all of the dragon groups. Why should only drake sprites have the ability to have items, but not any of the others?

To be honest, this won't do anything to alter my perspective of drakes if it gets implemented, but I don't see a real reason to support it. 

Because drakes could do with some kind of visual change that separates them from regular dragons, this being a game with visuals. Dragons have the biggest variety, two-headeds have two heads, pygmies have small sprites - it'd be nice for drakes to have something.

Why items? Cause it's the most fitting thing I could think of that'd suit drakes that wouldn't be seen on regular dragons. I'm open to other suggestions though. If I could go back in time and make it so only drakes could have antlers, that'd be enough of a unique trait to me. 

Edited by Murkydepths

They have a smaller egg that visually separates them from the other breeding groups. Why do they have to be visually separate when they breed differently?

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Okay, so I personally have never understood the "no props" rule given the white has been around since the beginning. (Also how did Soulstones and Pumpkins get around that rule? Its okay for holiday dragons?) There were a good number of beautiful sprites that got nixed off the completed list when that rule was decided. :(

That said, I really don't think it makes sense to remove the rule for only some sprites.

Whites were definitely before the rule, and Pumpkins might have been, I don't remember. No idea about the Soulstone, but it might be a similar case to FR's Pearlcatcher, where it's so ingrained to the dragon as a concept and as a part of them in lore that it makes less sense to remove it. Drakes with lanterns tied to their antlers are, imo, not the same degree of that.

53 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

They have a smaller egg that visually separates them from the other breeding groups. Why do they have to be visually separate when they breed differently?

The smaller egg was a step in the right direction to really signify the differences, but egg sprites aren't much considering we can't collect them. And they don't HAVE to be anything, but it'd be nice if they did have some visual difference like every other breeding group. 

23 minutes ago, Murkydepths said:

The smaller egg was a step in the right direction to really signify the differences, but egg sprites aren't much considering we can't collect them. And they don't HAVE to be anything, but it'd be nice if they did have some visual difference like every other breeding group. 

Again, I don't really see why there has to be a difference. I can see the reason for people who get confused over breeding, but to have one just because all of the other groups have one isn't really a feature or an enhancement. 

2 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

I think too many people are viewing dragoncave suggestions as 'how to fix game' rather than 'things that could make the game better/more fun'. If allowing items is so unnecessary it wouldn't affect anything, why is it a rule? 

I think we just keep circling around to two problems. Is it the idea of items that are the problem? Or is it the idea of drakes having something visually special? 

(bolding for emphasis) But *who*, besides you, is saying that this suggestion would make the game better or more fun? I'm all for suggestions that might make the game more interesting or fun for users, but again there is nothing to indicate that items would actually do that. If allowing items does absolutely nothing either way, then it doesn't matter, but there are people in this very thread saying they *wouldn't* like to see sprites with items, and nothing yet to indicate that enough users *would* like it. 

edit: And before anyone says anything, I do see Shadowdrake seems to be supportive of this idea because of the possibility that it would make more spriters want to work on drake concepts, but that still says nothing about the regular *users* and what users actually want to collect or see in-cave.

Asking what the problem is: One of the problems is the completely subjective idea that drakes should have something 'visually special' besides what they already have. Adding some item, or really *any* new drake-only visual, is not guaranteed to make them more popular or more fun for users.

The other problem, to me, is that sprites are already very small and sometimes difficult to work with when spriting because of the size and sometimes difficult to make out specific details without zooming in. Adding unnecessary items like a lantern or whatever would make an already-tiny area a lot more crowded and possibly take away from the dragon-sprite itself. The focus should be on the sprite itself, so any potential item would have to be either very very tiny or integrated into the dragon-body in some way (in which case why not just make it a natural thing instead of a separate item?).

Edited by HeatherMarie

13 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

(bolding for emphasis) But *who*, besides you, is saying that this suggestion would make the game better or more fun? I'm all for suggestions that might make the game more interesting or fun for users, but again there is nothing to indicate that items would actually do that. If allowing items does absolutely nothing either way, then it doesn't matter, but there are people in this very thread saying they *wouldn't* like to see sprites with items, and nothing yet to indicate that enough users *would* like it. 

Asking what the problem is: One of the problems is the completely subjective idea that drakes should have something 'visually special' besides what they already have. Adding some item, or really *any* new drake-only visual, is not guaranteed to make them more popular or more fun for users.

The other problem, to me, is that sprites are already very small and sometimes difficult to work with when spriting because of the size and sometimes difficult to make out specific details without zooming in. Adding unnecessary items like a lantern or whatever would make an already-tiny area a lot more crowded and possibly take away from the dragon-sprite itself. The focus should be on the sprite itself, so any potential item would have to be either very very tiny or integrated into the dragon-body in some way (in which case why not just make it a natural thing instead of a separate item?).

More options are always going to appeal to more people. Wider audience and all that. If a drake with items existed for you to dislike, then whoever made it must have liked it which cancels out your dislike. If a large amount of people were really against items then that'd be more of an argument but there's only about 5-10 people consistently replying on this thread which really isn't an indicative of how the playerbase would take it. 

I'm not sure I understand your point about drakes having something visually special being subjective, of course it is? Are there any suggestions that'd objectively make the game better? Well no, because better IS subjective. Allowing drakes something to make them visually special WOULD make them more in line with the other breeding groups however. 

And as for items specifically, they would be fairly small. I've shown about the largest they'd get in the first post with the lanterns. I don't think they'd be any harder to see or make the dragon any more cluttered than say, a floral crowns flowers:

395725300_flowercrown.png.970793296050f63cf06427be956c78c6.png

Or a ribbon dancers ribbon/rose thingy

ribbondancer.png.629b540410830dfe166a771224750654.png

Edited by Murkydepths

@Murkydepths, you seem to continually be speaking on behalf of the entire playerbase in your posts.

Several users have noted that more options do not always appeal to more people. Nor do items. 

Perhaps if you could clarify why drakes must be in line with the other breeds or how this would be more fun/enhance the game for the users who aren't creating the concepts, more of us would be on board.

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

@Murkydepths, you seem to continually be speaking on behalf of the entire playerbase in your posts.

Several users have noted that more options do not always appeal to more people. Nor do items. 

Perhaps if you could clarify why drakes must be in line with the other breeds or how this would be more fun/enhance the game for the users who aren't creating the concepts, more of us would be on board.

I'm not. I'm suggesting something, not demanding it.

Who has said more OPTIONS are bad? Several people have said they don't like items, or they're fine with drakes as they are, but are people actually arguing that more options are better for a creative design? The quality of options is one thing but restrictions for restrictions sake are just bad game design, they should always have a reason.

I do not thing there's a single thing I could say that'd get people who don't want change on board. There does not need to be a problem to fix in order for a suggestion to happen, there's nothing drakes MUST have, but I think they'd be better if they did have some visual difference that'd bring them in line with the other breeding groups, I think the playerbase would benefit from more creative designs, and concept creators would have more freedom to make imaginative designs, and I think drakes deserve something to make them special visually as right now they're just 'dragons but with more limitations and a smaller breeding pool' to anyone who doesn't care much for lore. If you think there'd be no difference, then why would you object? If you do or don't like items, kay. If you do or don't like drakes as they are, kay. That's not really what suggestions is for, it's not a poll, it's to discuss the merits or problems with an idea. If your objection is 'I don't want change' then ok, leave it at that. I'm not trying to convince you, or anyone, I just want to discuss a potential idea.

--------------------------------

And on that note, do people think domesticated dragons would fit with Dc's lore? It's mentioned they're trainable but the step to domestication, which involves breeding, is a pretty big one. It's mentioned that the dragons will often do things for humans like carry messages, would the jobs usually performed by pets be taken by paid dragons? Would humans feel weird about owning a pet drake when they look so similar to dragons? Does it clash with any existing lore?

What kind of items would you consider fitting for dc? Only natural, man-made too, man-made 'clothing' like harnesses and collars? What restrictions might have to be made if this was implemented to keep within dcs general style? Should the items maybe be optional, added with a BSA like thing, to get around the fact you get the eggs from the wild, as if you're the one putting the item on? Or would it be better to keep all the sprites the same in order to not mess with lineages, and hand-wave the weirdness the same way all dragon sprites are technically the same sprite for different dragons.

Is there anything else that could be a visual difference for drakes, unique to them? 

It's not hard to be creative with drakes. I don't think adding items would lead to more creativity, and I don't think the current restrictions reduce creativity. They're a dragon like any other, and aside from the body limitations, the sky's the limit. Glowing horns, moss growing on their back, pack hunters with interesting strategies, drakes that have evolved to be scavengers with human settlements. It just takes intent.

You could possibly go with a BSA to add an item to the sprite - that's the only way I see items being added, if it were allowed by TJ and crucial to the lore. IMO this would be more of a one or two-off and not something all drakes have. The Xmas dragon we recently got kinda opens the door to a human changing the appearance of a dragon. Not all drakes would be suitable for domestication, and we don't even know if drakes can be domesticated officially - so it wouldn't be something to visually distinguish all drakes, which is what you seem to want, and so it doesn't address your personal issue with the drakes as a whole.

Also, while drake do need 4 limbs and wings, there are/were drakes in DR that had VERY distinct body types while adhering to that idea (heck, the Pseudowyvern actually got released; there's no reason to assume they'd never release).

Honestly, what I'm about to say is probably making the OP repeat the same thing over again in different wording that would restart the circling of answers, so kindly do not tag me. I've read the same-ish responses in enough different wordings already and I'm not keen on running that treadmill of repeats.

The props, while cool at first, would eventually be just meh sprites really and become obsolete. They can be visually appealing at first, but it would just eventually spread to other breeding groups with arguments of "but DC drakes have them, why should pygmies/two-headed be excluded?" or "Pygmies and Two-headed don't have many options either, they should have props too"... which then eventually spreads to the primary breeding group, because "rules should be same for all breeding groups about props".

Frankly, spriting the prop on sprite would be fun only when the drake was made with said prop. It wouldn't change the game in any meaningful or helpful way, but would be just another pretty picture. In fact... a prop in my opinion would be really lazy way of getting something into the cave, focus most likely going to prop and the previous drake sprites not having one would be really disappointing (not to mention the artist permissions one would need to obtain in order to add the new prop on them).

In fact, I would much prefer the drakes having physical attribute that would actually make sense like collecting light mana's energy to antlers in order to provide light (like someone suggested if I recall right). Probably to lead their hatchlings around in darker caves... or if trained by humans, light up the caves so they can explore it more easily, just need to make sure that you carry enough light mana shards.

Also... what exactly is stopping people on coming up with creative ways to describe these possible props in description instead? That would be much more fun and creative than just looking at sprite with a prop, then being "ah, a prop, nice I guess" and moving on.

Though if I really have to imagine a drake sprite with some sort of prop or two... and I can come up with a lot of lore stuff at middle of night even. So lets imagine this!

While some may see just a collar and think "aww, how cute", I can definitely imagine a lot of people in Dragon Cave lore donning their pet drakes with choke collars, prong collars, collars with lightning mana to make them shut up when being too loud by shocking them into silence, and muzzles because they can't possibly risk their poorly trained drake biting someone's arm off (though totally okay with drakes catching criminals, riiiiight?). Wouldn't be far-fetched given how dogs are treated in reality either. A very dark and disturbing image of having drake's sensitive skin on throat being poked by prong collar.

How fun!

Harnesses? Depends on what kind. Dog harness, sure, why not. Owner of pet drake better know how to find suitable one. Horse harness? Sign me up for all the biting problems that comes from having drake owners who don't know how to fit those head collars nicely.

Perhaps some claws and armor from blacksmiths... you gotta have attacking drake to make your home safe from possible beasts and guard their owner's property... maybe encourage that aggressive drake to fight another drake in arena since that's what it has been bred for. Might be illegal, but hey, lore reasons and it's fun to get imaginative about possible real life counter parts in the game.

HAHA, the fun has been DOUBLED!

I'm not gonna include more examples that can be reflected from reality... otherwise I'd sit here for far too long time. Though I do have to imagine how many times drake broke its lantern and stepped on all that glass during the long time you need to train the drake, being gradually conditioned by the fear of sharp glass on ground after such accidents to be extra careful. Heh. Fun...

Excuse me, I just couldn't help but think that unethical things could also be possible props.