trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

8 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

As far as I know with disabilities if someone says they have one by law, you can't ask.

i'm not a legal expert either, but that sounds about right - privacy laws and all that.

9 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

it turned out she was printing anti-vaccine booklets. So yeah... pretty certain she was lying.

that also sounds about right too.... *sigh*

32 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Hate to say it, but that sounds like something they'd say. As far as I know with disabilities if someone says they have one by law, you can't ask. I'm not a legal expert though.

Last week the office supply store I work at had a customer come in to use our self service printers, claiming such a reason for not wearing a mask. I ended up having to help her and it turned out she was printing anti-vaccine booklets. So yeah... pretty certain she was lying.

While it's true you're not allowed to ask about their disability, the only thing your business is required to do is make a reasonable accommodation for the disabled person.

So, if your business wants to require masks, and someone says they can't wear a mask for whatever reason, the business can make the reasonable accommodation of curbside service so the anti-masker doesn't have to enter the building. Or they can use the drive-thru if there is one. For self-serve printers... well, that would be curbside-type service. No-masker hands in whatever they want printed up along with their card, someone in-store does the printing and rings up the sale. Maybe the store even gets a tablet with Square or something similar so they can have the customer pay using that while remaining outside. Yes, someone still needs to interact with the anti-mask customer, but at least they'd be outside where there's (probably) a much lower concentration of whatever the customer is exhaling.

Businesses have the right to require customers to behave in ways to ensure (as much as possible) the health and safety of their workers. They also have the right to refuse service to anyone who refuses to comply with their policies. I mean, have you ever seen a store or restaurant that doesn't have "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" as well as "No Smoking" posted somewhere? They're perfectly within their rights to refuse service and kick out someone who enters barefoot with a cigarette. By that same token, if a business has a policy of "Must Wear a Mask to Enter" then they have the right to refuse service, or at least to restrict anti-maskers to curbside service, to protect their workers.

11 minutes ago, catstaff said:

Businesses have the right to require customers to behave in ways to ensure (as much as possible) the health and safety of their workers. They also have the right to refuse service to anyone who refuses to comply with their policies. I mean, have you ever seen a store or restaurant that doesn't have "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" as well as "No Smoking" posted somewhere? They're perfectly within their rights to refuse service and kick out someone who enters barefoot with a cigarette. By that same token, if a business has a policy of "Must Wear a Mask to Enter" then they have the right to refuse service, or at least to restrict anti-maskers to curbside service, to protect their workers.

That's one thing I've been unable to understand with people causing drama over being forced to wear a mask. Like you said it's not any different.

As a side note, our walk-up counter where an associate prints for the customer does have an email for customers to submit printouts. (Along with standard submit-it-online) It's a bit more expensive because it's not "do-it-yourself". For the most part that's how customers who ACTUALLY have health concerns have been getting their curbside printing. ☺️

Btw, this came up as an ad on the forum. LMAO. I'm sure the left one is definitely CDC approved and nobody's going to question it. You'll be too stylish to catch covid.

Screenshot_20200729-205513~2.png

Edited by Daydreamer09

58 minutes ago, catstaff said:

this.  so much this.  my weekend retail job has a sign when you come in that says a mask or face covering is required.  we also offer curbside pickup; and i've even spoken to a customer or two on the phone that actually wants the curbside pick-up because they can't come in for whatever reason that they can't wear a mask (one customer was recovering from cancer, i think.)  these customers understand this.  but it's the selfish covidiots that don't seem to care about protecting others that are the trouble-making no-maskers.

the new signs will be No Shoes, No Shirt, No Mask, No Service.

47 minutes ago, Daydreamer09 said:

That's one thing I've been unable to understand with people causing drama over being forced to wear a mask. Like you said it's not any different.

yeah, i don't get it either.....

and LOL on that mask on the left! i've seen pics of lacy "panty" masks. i mean, really?

Edited by trystan

1 hour ago, Daydreamer09 said:

Btw, this came up as an ad on the forum. LMAO. I'm sure the left one is definitely CDC approved and nobody's going to question it. You'll be too stylish to catch covid.

Screenshot_20200729-205513~2.pngspan

I've seen ads for similar type of masks they have a clear plastic covering so you can wear a mask while still showing your face. Not sure if that is one of those but it might be. That if so is one of the nicer ones I've seen a few that are more creepy than stylish. Might be more for the club/bar/party seen.

15 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I've seen ads for similar type of masks they have a clear plastic covering so you can wear a mask while still showing your face.

i've also seen the following:

*a mask that looks like your face, so it still looks like you when you're wearing the mask. creepy.

*a mask that has a clear panel to show your lips.... so someone hard of hearing can see your lips and read what you're saying.  that one's pretty cool.

17 minutes ago, trystan said:

*a mask that has a clear panel to show your lips.... so someone hard of hearing can see your lips and read what you're saying.  that one's pretty cool.

My friend's daughter got one like that. She is an elementary school teacher and teaches phonics among other things. Thought that would be easier if the kids could actually see her mouth.

7 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

My friend's daughter got one like that. She is an elementary school teacher and teaches phonics among other things. Thought that would be easier if the kids could actually see her mouth.

now that's pretty smart.  the weird thing is, people really do look at your mouth when you're talking.  so wearing a mask could be kinda frustrating in that regard.  but still.  wear a mask. (and i'm preaching to the choir) XD 

21 minutes ago, trystan said:

now that's pretty smart.  the weird thing is, people really do look at your mouth when you're talking.  so wearing a mask could be kinda frustrating in that regard.  but still.  wear a mask. (and i'm preaching to the choir) XD 

My hearing isn't that great and I've had some difficulty hearing people speak when they're wearing masks, mostly a minor annoyance with asking people to repeat what they've said. Obviously I wouldn't want them to not wear masks, but still can be frustrating! I didn't even realize how much I rely on seeing people's lips when they're talking before covid.

8 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

I didn't even realize how much I rely on seeing people's lips when they're talking before covid.

i didn't either!  i've noticed it because i've been paying attention to it at my retail job, where i'm wearing a mask, the customer is wearing a mask, and there's a plexiglas shield between us. wow.

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Thursday, July 30, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 56 (+3)  active cases, while 312 people have recovered. All in all there have been 380 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.5.

Currently 9 (+4) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 200 (+10) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 348 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Wednesday, July 29.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

I copied a table and an image from ntv.de that have an overview over the currently most affected cities and municipalities in Germany (I added the first two pages of the table together, plus I added both olympe's and my home town in the map as normally you can only highlight one of them):

Spoiler

inzidenz.png

lage.png

Source: https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

By the way, ntv.de is lagging one day behind the data that the city of Oberhausen publishes on its website as they take the data at 00:00 GMT+2, while the Oberhausen website is always updated at 10:00 GMT+2.

Edited by Astreya

17 hours ago, trystan said:

i didn't either!  i've noticed it because i've been paying attention to it at my retail job, where i'm wearing a mask, the customer is wearing a mask, and there's a plexiglas shield between us. wow.

Yes - ACTUALLY - this has come up as a big issue for deaf people. I rely on it too - but am just determined to cope with out. But we had to see our lawyer the other day, and he also has hearing aids - and he asked nervously if we'd mind taking our mask off (WAY across a very big desk !) as it was rather important for us all to know what we were all saying. (Lawyer discussion stuff. Yes, took the masks off ! he made a very good point there !!!)

14 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

we had to see our lawyer the other day, and he also has hearing aids - and he asked nervously if we'd mind taking our mask off (WAY across a very big desk !) as it was rather important for us all to know what we were all saying. (Lawyer discussion stuff. Yes, took the masks off ! he made a very good point there !!!)

glad it all worked out for you then.

my county numbers as of yesterday:

Total Confirmed Cases: 6,424

Recoveries: 5,185

Deaths: 512

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

there's only 31 active cases in my municipality

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

there were 41 new cases county wide as of yesterday (7/29)

https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a7e4f8a794a34bb5903813cdea584edb

We have a fever checking gizmo at work. Did we use it today? No. We kept it behind the reception desk and checked the staff. Did we check all the staff? No. Good thing I am not running a fever. What's the point?

24 more cases, 20 on my island. But no, we're only checking some of the staff for fevers and none of the clients. Why do we even bother?

Screenshot_20200730-192548.thumb.jpg.a6003e72290593da8bd0035839a98d44.jpg

As of today, Friday, July 31, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 56 (+-0)  active cases, while 318 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 386 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 8.5.

Currently 7 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 215 (+15) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 403 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Thurssday, July 30.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

On 7/30/2020 at 3:12 AM, Daydreamer09 said:

Screenshot_20200729-205513~2.png

One thing is for sure: I will never understand fashion. Never ever.

An additional 66 (!) cases today. 27 of those on my island. Maybe having to stay put for the hurricane will help slow things down?

IMG-20200731-WA0004.thumb.jpg.2c5680b19c6b78d4520d25c84bc36262.jpg

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

An additional 66 (!) cases today. 27 of those on my island. Maybe having to stay put for the hurricane will help slow things down?

Depends how bad the hurricane is, I suppose. If people end up needing to go to shelters, that's going to be really problematic for social distancing. (I'm tracking Isaias because my daughter lives in Boca Raton, FL. It might only be a Cat 1, and probably not even gonna make landfall in Florida, but I worry, you know?)

4 minutes ago, catstaff said:

Depends how bad the hurricane is, I suppose. If people end up needing to go to shelters, that's going to be really problematic for social distancing. (I'm tracking Isaias because my daughter lives in Boca Raton, FL. It might only be a Cat 1, and probably not even gonna make landfall in Florida, but I worry, you know?)

Good point. I'd not thought about the shelter issue with Covid.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Hope she stays safe! (The big part should hit us in two hours, very windy already.)

3 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Hope she stays safe! (The big part should hit us in two hours, very windy already.)

Stay safe, my friend.

Stay safe @Lagie! My daughter & family are in Orlando - I'm hoping it stays off shore!

@Lagie  @catstaff  @JaneMcAsh

I hope the storm won't hit you or your loved ones!

In Germany the summer weather lead to many people flocking in droves to beaches and other beauty spots without taking care of any Civid-19 precautions. And that when the infection rstes have been rising for days already. Stupid is as stupid does...

-----------------

As of today, Saturday, August 1, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 57 (+1)  active cases, while 321 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 390 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 9.0.

Currently 8 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, one of them in intensive care. 12 persons sadly died. 213 (-2) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 629 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen up to Friday, July 31.

11 hours ago, Lagie said:

Late to the party, but I still hope you can and will stay safe!

ETA:

@Astreya That's just the thing, isn't it? Summer weather makes everyone want to go outside (since we usually don't have that much summer weather to begin with), and everything else, to them, is scheißegal. (I think that's the very literal translation for "to not give a f*ck", isn't it?)

I'm glad to report that my hometown's new infections per 100,000 people and per week have gone down below 20 yesterday, which gives me hope. (Above 50/100,000 and week equals another lockdown for the area in question.) Still, things are far from over, and school starts the week after next, business as usual (before covid). *shudders* Kindergartens, too. I'm not looking forward to the results.

Another trend in Germany is that infections cannot be traced any more. Someone catches it, and it's impossible to tell where or how or when. Which means that things are, undoubtedly, getting out of control - slowly but surely.

Edited by olympe

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Another trend in Germany is that infections cannot be traced any more. Someone catches it, and it's impossible to tell where or how or when. Which means that things are, undoubtedly, getting out of control - slowly but surely.

Ooh, that's scary. Here, our contact tracers are really good at knowing how people connect, but I'm guessing the smaller overall population helps with that.

Windy and wet here, but doing fine. Thanks, everyone, for your concern! :) (It's going to head up the US East Coast once it leaves us, it seems.)

55 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Ooh, that's scary. Here, our contact tracers are really good at knowing how people connect, but I'm guessing the smaller overall population helps with that.

Windy and wet here, but doing fine. Thanks, everyone, for your concern! :) (It's going to head up the US East Coast once it leaves us, it seems.)

Glad to hear you're fine!

Well, our tracing is really good, too - at least until recently. However, we don't have that many large outbreaks at the moment, but many smaller ones all over the place. Yes, it's possible to see a whole family come down with covid - but nobody can say for sure where they got it.

Also, we get more and more younger people with covid. Many of them asymptomatic or with only minor symptoms. Which probably helps spread the virus. You cannot isolate people you don't know are infected unless you order a lockdown.

Edited by olympe