trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

On 10/14/2021 at 12:04 PM, HeatherMarie said:

the Walmart I went to apparently hasn't had disposable masks in stock for awhile now (though I was able to find a small supply of reusable ones) and it's predicted that toilet paper and similar items will be in short supply fairly soon.

Eeps. A TP shortage again?

WalMart is apparently responsible for the uptick in vaccinations here... kind of. :rolleyes: Bahamians love to shop. Bahamians really love to shop in Florida. Bahamians really, really, above all else, love to shop Black Friday sales in Florida. So... as of the 1st of November, all travellers to the U.S. have to be fully vaccinated. And lo, all those Bahamians who want to shop the Black Friday sales are finally getting vaccinated. Amazing what a change in foreign policy will do.

Screenshot_20211015-192533.thumb.jpg.65649c5d7c647ba46b63277a9c6aba62.jpg

But do notice the total lack of social distancing in the vaccine lineup. :P

47 new cases Wednesday, 1742 of those on my island (positivity rate 8.8%) for a new total of 21,863 cases. Fourteen additional deaths takes that total to 622. :(

127 people in hospital (down 15, likely many of the deaths) 12 of those in the ICU (down 3).

64 new cases Thursday, 36 of those on my island (positivity rate 14.8%) for a new total of 21,927 cases. No additional deaths.

127 people in hospital, 12 (up 3) of those in the ICU.

Incredibly stressful, which is why we are seeing higher sickness rates. Staff just can't face this downward spiral and the immense, unsafe pressure we exert on ourselves continues.

*Hugs back all*

Edited by Kestra15

@Lagie

There are some discussions in Germany only to allow people into shops who are either vaccinated or recovered. I bet that would have quite a similar effect here. The anti-vaxxers are already howling in horror: "The government wants to starve unvaccinated people!" (There is no such law - at the moment there are just discussions which will likely never get enacted.)

@HeatherMarie

Here fortunately all people still wear masks in the shops (at least in my area). I hope things will work out nicely for you and there won't be any shortages and stuff!

@Kestra15

This sounds so awful for you! *hugs*

---------------

As of today, Saturday, October 16, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 163 (-4) active cases, while 12 357 (+12)  people are considered to have recovered. 382 (+-0) persons sadly died.  252 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 902 (+8) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 39.6 (-2.9)  / Incidence for NRW: 47.9 (-0.6).

Currently 24 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (-1) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Sunday, October 17, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 161 (-2) active cases, while 12 373 (+16)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (-1) persons sadly died.  243 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 917 (+15) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 37.7 (-1.9)  / Incidence for NRW: 47.9 (+-0.0).

Currently 22 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 144 923 (1st jab, 68.7%) and 134 837  (2nd jab, 63.9%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 12, 2021).

Edited by Astreya

*hugs*

And the COVID-19 Pod is once again open, to absolutely no-one's surprise. As ever we're as annoyed about the amount of time and energy it takes to keep turning it around.

If you have FB, I quite like this little video:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2684678265172805&id=1516969195277057

Edited by Kestra15

@Kestra15

Poor you! *hugs*  Too bad that the managerial types don't actually work in that pod, or they would see how idiotic all the opening and closing it is.

Yesterday my Mom got a call from my cousin in Saxony (the Bundesland/state  with the lowest vaccination rate in Germany and the highest rate of AfD voters and anti-vaxxers) - he and his whole family caught Covid-19. Fortunately he doesn't have a too bad case, but his wife still has problems breathing and lost the sense of smell and taste. Maybe he will now think about whether it wouldn't have been better to get vaccinated after all!

---------------

As of today, Monday, October 18, 13:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 147 (-14) active cases, while 12 387 (+14)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  236 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 917 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 35.8 (-1.9)  / Incidence for NRW: 48.5 (+0.6).

Currently 21 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 144 923 (1st jab, 68.7%) and 134 837  (2nd jab, 63.9%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 12, 2021).

---------------

As of today, Tuesday, October 19, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 134 (-13) active cases, while 12 403 (+16)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  241 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 920 (+3) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 33.4 (-2.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 49.1 (+0.6).

Currently 21 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-1) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 20, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 138 (+4) active cases, while 12 416 (+13)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  250 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 937 (+17) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 33.9 (+0.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 52.0 (+2.9).

Currently 24 (+3) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Thursday, October 21, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 149 (+11) active cases, while 12 431 (+15)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  257 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 963 (+24) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 36.3 (+2.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 57.1 (+5.1).

Currently 29 (+5) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Friday, October 22, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 156 (+7) active cases, while 12 444 (+13)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  245 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 983 (+20) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 42.5 (+6.2)  / Incidence for NRW: 61.0 (+3.9).

Currently 24 (-5) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (-1) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Saturday, October 23, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 154 (-2) active cases, while 12 452 (+8)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  261 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 989 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 41.5 (-1.0)  / Incidence for NRW: 64.2 (+3.2).

Currently 23 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-1) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 145 771 (1st jab, 69.1%) and 136 014  (2nd jab, 64.5%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 19, 2021).

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

I'm sorry to hear about your family Astreya *hugs*

Covid is the reason I hit my deductible in March of this year. I ended up with two secondary infections:  Pneumonia and a Peritonsillar Abscess.

The latter is basically an infection of the lymph node that later drains into your tonsil. I was misdiagnosed at first with an ear infection, and 3 days after, ended up driving myself to the ER at 4:30 in the morning with a 103F/39.4C fever. 

3 hours ago, Library_gremlin said:

Covid is the reason I hit my deductible in March of this year. I ended up with two secondary infections:  Pneumonia and a Peritonsillar Abscess.

The latter is basically an infection of the lymph node that later drains into your tonsil. I was misdiagnosed at first with an ear infection, and 3 days after, ended up driving myself to the ER at 4:30 in the morning with a 103F/39.4C fever. 

I hope you're feeling better now. I've never heard of that second infection, but it sounds like a doozy. 

43 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

I hope you're feeling better now. I've never heard of that second infection, but it sounds like a doozy. 

Thank you. It’s pretty rare. The docs in the ER all thought it was strep, until that test came back negative and they saw my CT scans. 

1 hour ago, Library_gremlin said:

Thank you. It’s pretty rare. The docs in the ER all thought it was strep, until that test came back negative and they saw my CT scans. 

Oh wow though. That's insane though. Just insane. 

6 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Oh wow though. That's insane though. Just insane. 

And then I was in the hospital for a week with it and then they let me out . . . only for me to go septic fewer than 24 hours later and end up in the ICU for three days. 

22 hours ago, Kestra15 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your family Astreya *hugs*

Thank you! *rehugs because with all the stress at work you definitely need numerous more hugs*

Actually I'm mainly very angry at my cousin and his family. I explained to him in great detail how the vaccines work and told him how I was particularly excited about the ingenious new mRNA vaccines and that he totally should get it as an infection with an unchecked virus is always much more dangerous than priming the immune system with a controlled and mostly harmless substance, but obviously he decided to follow the majority of the Saxon antivax and conspiracist sheeple anyway.

(Saxony has among the the worst vaccine take up and is among the worst for Covid cases in Germany in general, too:

Spoiler

7-day incidence per 100 000 people

germany.png

Vaccinations (it's such a shame that there are still so many people who don't get their jabs!):

vax.png

20 hours ago, Library_gremlin said:

Dear me! I hope you are all fine now!

---------------

As of today, Sunday, October 24, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 166 (+12) active cases, while 12 462 (+10)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  244 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 011 (+22) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 44.9 (+3.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 68.9 (+4.7).

Currently 17 (-6) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+1) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 145 771 (1st jab, 69.1%) and 136 014  (2nd jab, 64.5%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 19, 2021).

Astreya said:Dear me! I hope you are all fine now!

I reckon I’m better, at least. While in hospital, they did biopsies on both lymph nodes, due to the discovery of necrotic tissue on one side (via the CT scan). 

I got the results while in the ICU. That’s when I discovered I had Thyroid cancer. Got that out in mid-June. 

Then, I finally made it to the Neurologist’s, where I was diagnosed with dystonia (involuntary muscle contractions). But that’s only the what, not the why. I’ve had these symptoms for 3 years, and my neurologist has declared me, “Interesting.”

She’s referred me to the local research/teaching hospital (University of Texas-Southwestern).  They told me that I’m currently a mystery. They looked very excited about that. 

@Library_gremlin

Yikes, you really managed to catch a lot of nasty stuff lately! I really, really hope you will come through all of it as well as possible! Doctors calling you "interesting" is usually not what one would like to hear!

(Sounds like me being used a guinea pig for numerous new salves and other meds for my neurodermatitis where the doctors usually don't have a clue either and just try out stuff - sadly tons of cortisone and then stopping it seems to have ruined my thyroid gland, too - my immune system that was suppressed for years decided to attack the gland and managed to practically kill it off by now - at least the doctors don't find it any more via ultrasound and it doesn't produce any hormones anymore either XD)

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Library_gremlin

Yikes, you really managed to catch a lot of nasty stuff lately! I really, really hope you will come through all of it as well as possible! Doctors calling you "interesting" is usually not what one would like to hear!

(Sounds like me being used a guinea pig for numerous new salves and other meds for my neurodermatitis where the doctors usually don't have a clue either and just try out stuff - sadly tons of cortisone and then stopping it seems to have ruined my thyroid gland, too - my immune system that was suppressed for years decided to attack the gland and managed to practically kill it off by now - at least the doctors don't find it any more via ultrasound and it doesn't produce any hormones anymore either XD)

Me too. Sorry you’ve been a guinea pig!

Me, I keep having paradoxical reactions to new meds. Like muscle relaxers that make me hyper and pain pills that make me hurt. Lol. 

Between that and the pandemic and the worker shortages and the general craziness of people, my life is somewhere between hysterically funny and just hysterical. 

@Library_gremlin

I guess I know too well what you mean with your life being "somewhere hysterically funny and just hysterical". - Sometimes one can only take things with a good dose of gallows humour.

"Paradoxical reactions" can be really annoying. It sounds as if you always have to be wary whenever you get any new meds.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

@Library_gremlin

I guess I know too well what you mean with your life being "somewhere hysterically funny and just hysterical". - Sometimes one can only take things with a good dose of gallows humour.

"Paradoxical reactions" can be really annoying. It sounds as if you always have to be wary whenever you get any new meds.

I’ve watched a lot of M*A*S*H episodes, and laughing when everyone seems to be crying feels better (if nothing else).  

And yes, yes they can! Especially when they’ve never heard of those reactions. 

One of the pain pills caused me so much pain the first time that I don’t want to try them again. They want me to try them at a lower dose for longer . . . kind of EASE me in, but that first time was so awful that I’m thinking about lying and saying I did it and it still didn’t work, just to avoid the probable pain. 

@Library_gremlin

I can totally understand this, particularly when it is causing you so much pain. I think you should be honest with the doctors, though, just tell them you are too afraid of the pain. If you take it and tell them it doesn't work, they might use something else with a similar pharmacokinetic that would then cause pain, too.

Personally I have problems with all pain killers that are also anti-pyretic (that is, every NSAID on the market) as in my case they cause my body temperature to fall down below 35 deg C (95 F) which is not exactly healthy either. Plus local anaesthetics only work on me if you use elephant-size doses - when I had to undergo surgery, I suggested the surgeon to keep a huge wooden hammer next to the OP table in case the anaesthetics wouldn't work either (fortunately the stuff they used did work, so they didn't have to use any mechanical means to knock me out after all). XD

---------------

As of today, Monday, October 25, 16:15 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 166 (+-0) active cases, while 12 462 (+-0)  people are considered to have recovered. 383 (+-0) persons sadly died.  244 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 011 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 44.9 (+-0.0)  / Incidence for NRW: 70.6 (+1.7).

Currently 18 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Tuesday, October 26, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 164 (-2) active cases, while 12 473 (+11)  people are considered to have recovered. 385 (+2) persons sadly died.  270 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 022 (+11) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 48.7 (+3.8)  / Incidence for NRW: 72.9 (+2.3).

Currently 17 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 146 288 (1st jab, 69.3%) and 136 991  (2nd jab, 64.9%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 26, 2021).

Edited by Astreya

I lost a relative to this sickness earlier in the year and very nearly lost another recently.

ALWAYS WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

(And disinfect as much as possible)

@Hanelli

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to read this!

You are absolutely right that one should be careful to avoid all fomites. Personally I always carry a disinfectant spray with me. My mother is always bemused when I make sure that she always disinfects her hands after touching door handles or door bells or anything that is often touched by other people, but in such cases my motto is safety first.

I'm really glad that my parents will get their Covid vaccine booster jab tomorrow. My father's GP visited him today as he is still a bit weak as he got some major surgery three weeks ago where he lost a lot of blood, and when she took a blood sample to check if his red blood cell count is getting normal again, she asked when my parents had their vaccinations. As they had their 2nd jab in April, she offered to drop by tomorrow morning and give both of them (both are well over 80 by now) their third jab with BioNTech.

Update: Yay! As of Wednesday, both are now vaccinated and boostered! I'm very relieved as the infection numbers are soaring again.

My booster will probably be due in January as my second jab was late in June. It's a pity that the doctors don't do a regular antibody check as I would really like to know how well my first two vaccinations worked (I got AstraZeneca first and Moderna second three months later - and from what I read that is a pretty good combination).

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 27, 10:15 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 178 (+14) active cases, while 12 494 (+21)  people are considered to have recovered. 385 (+-0) persons sadly died.  326 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 057 (+35) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 57.3 (+8.6)  / Incidence for NRW: 79.2 (+5.3).

Currently 18 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-1) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Thursday, October 28, 09:45 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 212 (+34) active cases, while 12 503 (+9)  people are considered to have recovered. 386 (+1) persons sadly died.  374 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 101 (+44) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 66.8 (+9.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 91.7 (+12.5).

Currently 25 (+7) persons are treated in hospital, with 6 (+2) of them in intensive care, 2 (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Friday, October 29, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 239 (+27) active cases, while 12 522 (+19)  people are considered to have recovered. 386 (+-0) persons sadly died.  429 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 147 (+46) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 74.9 (+8.1)  / Incidence for NRW: 99.7 (+8.0).

Currently 25 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (-1) of them in intensive care, 3 (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Saturday, October 30, 12:45 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 252 (+13) active cases, while 12 532 (+10)  people are considered to have recovered. 386 (+-0) persons sadly died.  467 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 170 (+23) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 72.6 (+7.7)  / Incidence for NRW: 104.1 (+3.4).

Currently 39 (+14) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (-1) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 146 288 (1st jab, 69.3%) and 136 991  (2nd jab, 64.9%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 26, 2021).

Edited by Astreya

Our numbers are finally heading downward - cases per day, cases in hospital, and the oh-so-crucial positivity rate.

30 new cases Friday the 29th, 18 of those on my island (positivity rate 5.2%- it's been single digit for six of the past seven days) for a new total of 22,397 cases. 35 additional deaths (since I last posted - but none in the past four days) take that total to 643. :(

65 people in hospital, 5 of those in the ICU.

And the supply chain shortages have begun:

Screenshot_20211031-080455.thumb.jpg.8396a5fb9f0a85a7936ebfb093da1016.jpg

@Lagie

That's good to hear!

In Germany we sadly approach the "fourth wave" it seems - our numbers are strongly heading up by now, despite about two thirds of the population being jabbed twice.  Particularly the eastern and southern Länder have very high incidence numbers - some towns well over 500. In Oberhausen the Gesundsheitsamt seems to be somewhat asleep as other than the 7-day-incidence they don't seem to have updated their numbers.

---------------

As of today, Sunday, October 31, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 252 (+-0) active cases, while 12 532 (+-0)  people are considered to have recovered. 386 (+-0) persons sadly died.  467 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 170 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 93.0 (+10.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 109.0 (+4.9).

Currently 39 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Monday, November 1, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 249 (-3) active cases, while 12 581 (+49)  people are considered to have recovered. 386 (+-0) persons sadly died.  407 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 13 216 (+46) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 94.5 (+1.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 111.2 (+7.1).

Currently 42 (+3) persons are treated in hospital, with 3 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

Edited by Astreya

Im fully vaccinated, now!  Do you think it's safe to go see my friend with 0 vaccines? Should we wear masks? 

15 minutes ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

Im fully vaccinated, now!  Do you think it's safe to go see my friend with 0 vaccines? Should we wear masks? 

Kinda? Wear masks! Definitely. And keep your distance. Can you convince your friend to also get vaccinated?

And congrats on being fully vaccinated! :)

Edited by Lagie

3 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Can you convince your friend to also get vaccinated?

I think they were suppose to get theirs, but caught a cold and couldn't - they want to get one.