trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

On 10/1/2021 at 3:32 AM, Kestra15 said:

Our ICU numbers have halved since I've been on leave. Sadly not because of recovery.

:(

On 10/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, Astreya said:

frankly, I would let the anti-vaxxers pay for their treatments out of their own pockets and not cover this by the health insurances if they don't have a good (that is, medical) reason not to get inoculated!

Agreed!

130 new cases Wednessday, 89 of those on my island (positivity rate 21.4%) for a new total of 21,115 cases. Two additional deaths take that total to 533. :(

84 new cases Thursday, 77 of those on my island (positivity rate 13.4%) for a new total of 21,199 cases. Four additional deaths take that total to 537. :(

67 new cases Friday, 59 of those on my island (positivity rate 15.1%) for a new total of 21,266 cases. Eighteen (18!) additional deaths take that total to 555 (some were finally-decided 'deaths under investigation from months ago). :(

47 new cases Saturday, 43 of those on my island (positivity rate 17.3%) for a new total of 21,313 cases. Two additional deaths take that total to 557. :(

127 people in hospital, 19 of those in the ICU.

Somehow we still have a higher 7-day incidence in my home town than the average of NRW. In the last two days there was a rise in hospitalisations here, but fortunately the number of people who need ICU care hasn't risen (yet).

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 6, 12:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 231 (-8) active cases, while 12 106 (+27)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  393 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 716 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 62.0 (-6.2)  / Incidence for NRW: 51.2 (-0.3).

Currently 31 (+8) persons are treated in hospital, with 7 (+1) of them in intensive care, 3 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 144 311 (1st jab, 68.4%) and 133 871  (2nd jab, 63.4%) vaccinations so far. (From now on there will be only weekly updates about the vaccinations as the KV-Nordrhein now does the statistics since the vaccination centres were closed).

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Sigh. My friend can't taste anything, and guess what? I'm at her house. Yay. 

We are both vaccinated, as well as her dad who is in his 70s but... I'm a bit nervous since the virus led to my grandmother passing away. 

2 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Sigh. My friend can't taste anything, and guess what? I'm at her house.

Eeps. I hope you and she are okay.

50 new cases Sunday, 21 of those on my island (positivity rate 23.1%) for a new total of 21,363 cases. (15 were on one of our smaller islands!) Two additional deaths take that total to 559. :(

53 new cases Monday, 33 of those on my island (positivity rate 12.8%) for a new total of 21,416 cases. 17 additional deaths (seventeen! 15 new, 2 reclassified) take that total to 582. :(

43 new cases Tuesday, 36 of those on my island (positivity rate 16.5%) for a new total of 21,459 cases. Six additional deaths take that total to 582. :( (45 deaths in five days...)

141 people in hospital, 16 of those in the ICU.

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

Eeps. I hope you and she are okay.

Bloop

Me too. She's had it before, but I haven't so... I'm a bit nervous even if I am vaxxed. 

I was reading that 1 in 4 COVID deaths were parents who left a child behind. 

Covid sucks. 

relevant stats: in Missouri 8/6 7-day average peaked at 3,178. 10/5 average 1,043 (it spiked a bit again yesterday, 1,178) Deaths per day is more unpredictable but the 7 day average remains under 20/day (but 33 for 10/6). Population 6.13 million with 6.33 million vaccinations reported. (10.3% differential; 45% 2 dose, 55.3% 1 dose) 

@AsymDoll13

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you (and the people around you) will be fine!

@amthystfire

"Covid sucks" - absolutely agreed!

My Dad has been in the hospital (non-Covid related stuff, but still very serious as he had heavy bleedings after a coloscopy where several adenoids were cut out, then follow-up open surgery - he needed a full dozen blood bottles) for four weeks and the visiting times were strictly limited due to Covid rules - only one person per day and patient for a maximum of 1 hour and only if either doubly vaccinated, recovered or freshly negative PCR tested. But at least here the hospital capacities are good enough that the normal operation is not endangered due to Covid-19. All the restrictions are very annoying, although obviously necessary as no one wants to catch this drat virus in the hospital either.

Today there was a statement by the acting Health Minister Jens Spahn (we had a federal election about two weeks ago, but no new government yet as the coalition negotiations are ongoing right now - and in the meantime the old government is still doing their jobs) that came a quite a surprise. He stated that the RKI did some research into the vaccination numbers and found out that it seems that there are some million more people fully vaccinated in Germany than are officially reported. The difference is due to the fact that many mobile teams likely forgot to report their vaccination numbers and many of the medical officers in companies that did vaccinations also didn't report their numbers to the official posts. So the RKI started to dig around and now it appears as if 80% of the adults are fully vaccinated and 84% at least once.

I just wonder why the numbers for my home town are considerably lower - but maybe they are even worse in counting XD

---------------

As of today, Thursday, October 7, 12:15 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 232 (+1) active cases, while 12 126 (+20)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  382 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 737 (+21) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 54.9 (-7.1)  / Incidence for NRW: 50.2 (-1.0).

Currently 29 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, with 7 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 144 311 (1st jab, 68.4%) and 133 871  (2nd jab, 63.4%) vaccinations so far. (From now on there will be only weekly updates about the vaccinations as the KV-Nordrhein now does the statistics since the vaccination centres were closed).

Thanks so much! Where are you guys getting all these statistics? Are there certain sites? 

7 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Thanks so much! Where are you guys getting all these statistics? Are there certain sites? 

Mine come from here -  but they are not always up to date. Various people send the newer reports out by WhatsApp and Twitter.

I learned a sad Covid story here recently. There were four sisters in a family who used to run a linens and clothing shop in Bay Street, one of the longest running shops on the island. Only two sisters were still alive, and older now, like 90s kind of older, and they both died recently, within a couple of weeks of each other. It turns out both died ftom Covid. They got it when their housekeeper, who knew she was Covid-positive, came to work anyway. Stoopid woman. (If she's not dead from it, I do hope she was fired.)

Sister one:

Screenshot_20211007-180005.thumb.jpg.c7e5445e17df8d02011a07a74434f8be.jpg

Sister two:

Screenshot_20211007-180024.thumb.jpg.659aaa988583d2b3e635e10d95fac518.jpg

Cases:

Total cases 43,669
Deaths

Vaccine:

Total doses given 10,855,634
People fully vaccinated 4,901,526
% of population 46.2%
People given at least one dose 5,878,334
% of population 55.4%

I'm in Georgia in the United States. 

4 hours ago, amthystfire said:

I was reading that 1 in 4 COVID deaths were parents who left a child behind. 

:(

60 new cases Wednesday, 48 of those on my island (positivity rate 12.9%) for a new total of 21,518 cases. Four additional deaths take that total to 586. :( (49 deaths in six days...)

162 people in hospital (up 21!), 18 of those in the ICU (up 2).

We are now at about 25% vaccinated, and eagerly awaiting the next PAHO shipment of vaccines in early November.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:53 PM, AsymDoll13 said:

Where are you guys getting all these statistics? Are there certain sites? 

In my case there are various sources.

Official data for all of Germany with elaborate statistics can be found at the RKI here: 

- Covid Dashboard for Germany:  https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4

- Vaccination monitoring (Germany): https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Daten/Impfquoten-Tab.html;jsessionid=E1ED486790BCBB5EEE25D7BB4136AD27.internet052?nn=2386228

- Daily situation reports for Germany: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Gesamt.html;jsessionid=E1ED486790BCBB5EEE25D7BB4136AD27.internet052?nn=2386228

- Daily statistics of my hometown:  https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

The RKI is the German equivalent to the US' CDC and also works closely together with the JHU:

JHU Covid Dashboard for the US: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Also interesting - Covid world data:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

On 10/8/2021 at 1:46 AM, Lagie said:

We are now at about 25% vaccinated, and eagerly awaiting the next PAHO shipment of vaccines in early November.

If the housekeeper really knew she had Covid and still went to vulnerable persons, she should be prosecuted IMO. In Germany, the laws actually support this and in connecttion to Covis, the criminal offence can range from bodily injury caused by negligence up to murder.I really hope you will soon get more vaccines!

Ands if the housekeeper really knew she had Covid and still went to vulnerable persons, she should be prosecuted IMO. In Germany, the laws actually support this and in connecttion to Covis, the criminal offence can range from bodily injury caused by negligence up to murder.

@AsymDoll13

These vaccination rates are really tragic, considering that the US had more than enough vaccine doses available!

---------------

As of today, Friday, October 8, 11:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 231 (-1) active cases, while 12 147 (+21)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  357 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 757 (+20) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 52.5 (-2.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 50.3 (+0.1).

Currently 27 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (-2) of them in intensive care, 1 (-2) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Saturday, October 9, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 223 (-8) active cases, while 12 170 (+23)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  349 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 772 (+15) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 52.0 (-0.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 50.4 (+0.1).

Currently 26 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

Edited by Astreya

On 10/8/2021 at 6:35 AM, Astreya said:

In Germany, the laws actually support this and in connection to Covid, the criminal offence can range from bodily injury caused by negligence up to murder.

We, sadly, have no such laws in place.

62 new cases Thursday, 48 of those on my island (positivity rate 20.7%) for a new total of 21,581 cases. Four additional deaths take that total to 590. :( (53 deaths in seven days...)

152 people in hospital (down 10), 20 of those in the ICU (up 2).

My fiance hung out with a friend on tuesday. On friday the friend told my fiance that he just tested positive for covid. Since I was with my fiance on wednesday, thursday, and friday we both got ourselves tested. Turns out my fiance tested positive and I tested negative, although I still have to be in quarantine for two weeks, until the 22th. We both got fully vaccinated so he's not showing any severe symptoms so far, but I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and prayers. Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, ylangylang said:

My fiance hung out with a friend on tuesday. On friday the friend told my fiance that he just tested positive for covid. Since I was with my fiance on wednesday, thursday, and friday we both got ourselves tested. Turns out my fiance tested positive and I tested negative, although I still have to be in quarantine for two weeks, until the 22th. We both got fully vaccinated so he's not showing any severe symptoms so far, but I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and prayers. Thank you. 

I am so sorry to hear that, but also, yay for vaccines! I hope he continues to feel well, and I hope you stay feeling well. ^^

Also... My friend tested negative! 

3 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

I am so sorry to hear that, but also, yay for vaccines! I hope he continues to feel well, and I hope you stay feeling well. ^^

Thank you, glad to hear that abt your friend :)

@ylangylang

I hope you will come well through the quarantine and that your friend stays asymptomatic, too. That's the great thing about the vaccines after all - they protect well against severe illness, if not fully against an infection.

@AsymDoll13

That's good to hear about your friend!

---------------

As of today, Sunday, October 10, 10:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 226 (+3) active cases, while 12 186 (+16)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  321 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 791 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 51.5 (-0.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 52.1 (+1.7).

Currently 26 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with 7 (+2) of them in intensive care, 1 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Monday, October 11, 10:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 218 (-8) active cases, while 12 198 (+12)  people are considered to have recovered. 379 (+-0) persons sadly died.  309 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 795 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 50.6 (-0.9)  / Incidence for NRW: 52.2 (+0.1).

Currently 25 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 6 (-1) of them in intensive care, none of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Tuesday, October 12, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 200 (-18) active cases, while 12 222 (+24)  people are considered to have recovered. 381 (+2) persons sadly died.  268 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 803 (+8) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 52.5 (+1.9)  / Incidence for NRW: 52.0 (-0.2).

Currently 25 (+-0) persons are treated in hospital, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, none of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 13, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 170 (-30) active cases, while 12 264 (+42)  people are considered to have recovered. 382 (+1) persons sadly died.  267 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 816 (+13) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 50.1 (-2.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 49.8 (-2.2).

Currently 24 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 7 (+1) of them in intensive care, none of them needing artificial respiration.

Edited by Astreya

14 hours ago, ylangylang said:

We both got fully vaccinated so he's not showing any severe symptoms so far, but I'd be very grateful for any thoughts and prayers. Thank you. 

Hope you'll both be okay!

14 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Hooray!

46 new cases Friay, 33 of those on my island (positivity rate 7.7%, lowest in a long while...) for a new total of 21,627 cases. Four additional deaths take that total to 594. :( (57 deaths in eight days...)

140 people in hospital (down 12), 21 of those in the ICU (up 1).

plz, i was at a church and this family came in with no masks, even though it's been required for aaaggggeeees. I didn't see this but they were wearing the ones the church gives out and i overheard someone saying they were completely out of masks. They were wearing them on their chins and they were talking extremely loudly about how the guy behind them at the shop the other day was wearing 2 and how cringe it was or something.

like why, you want to kill someone's grandma? i dont like being nosy but they were yelling about it under a meter a way from me so there was no way NOT to listen. please wear masks in crowded places people x_x

And now we're getting to the bit we feared:

- Not enough staff as so many are off for mental health causes as well as the usual impeding winter bugs,

- More patients with non-COVID-19 problems as per usual winter build-up,

- The additional workload of constant COVID-19 patients,

= Not enough staff for our patients to be safely cares for,

= Putting supernumerary staff into the numbers before they've had training,

= Unable to cope, staff quit,

= Worsening staffing levels due to recruitment and retention, leaving us further understaffed both now and in the future.

Repeat and rinse the last four points ad infinitum.

@Kestra15

That's such a horrid situation for you. I really hope you'll manage to cope anyway!

---------------

As of today, Thursday, October 14, 11:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 177 (+7) active cases, while 12 279 (+15)  people are considered to have recovered. 382 (+-0) persons sadly died.  267 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 838 (+22) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 48.7 (-1.4)  / Incidence for NRW: 49.6 (-0.2).

Currently 26 (+2) persons are treated in hospital, with 6 (-1) of them in intensive care, one (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

---------------

As of today, Friday, October 15, 09:30 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 167 (-10) active cases, while 12 345 (+66)  people are considered to have recovered. 382 (+-0) persons sadly died.  267 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 12 894 (+56) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 42.5 (-6.2)  / Incidence for NRW: 48.5 (-1.1).

Currently 25 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 144 923 (1st jab, 68.7%) and 134 837  (2nd jab, 63.9%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Oct 12, 2021).

Edited by Astreya

On 10/14/2021 at 2:37 AM, Kestra15 said:

Repeat and rinse the last four points ad infinitum.

:( That's horrible and must be very stressful.

65 new cases Saturday, 48 of those on my island (positivity rate 20.8%) for a new total of 21,692 cases. Six additional deaths take that total to 600. :( (63 deaths in nine days...)

32 new cases Sunday, 28 of those on my island (positivity rate 11.8%) for a new total of 21,627 cases. Five additional deaths take that total to 605. :( (68 deaths in ten days...)

57 new cases Monday (public holiday here), 53 of those on my island (positivity rate 14.8%) for a new total of 21,781 cases. Three additional deaths take that total to 608. :( (71 deaths in eleven days...)

35 new cases Tuesday, 17 of those on my island (positivity rate 20.3%) for a new total of 21,816 cases. No additional deaths - for the first time this month.

142 people in hospital, 15 of those in the ICU.

Yesterday's paper:

Screenshot_20211014-081215.thumb.jpg.dd1dbb65826185f8888ad98ab4eb0e10.jpg

Edited by Lagie
Adding image

@Kestra15  Goodness that must be so stressful and upsetting. I really can't imagine working in a hospital (or even a doctor's office, really) during all of this, I'm sure so many health workers will have lasting mental trauma from all this. 

The first death in a week was reported here yesterday, although the overall death numbers here have been going up and down lately due to some deaths being wrongly attributed to our area or something? (Most likely due to the districting differences between Yuma County and Yuma City, though I admit I've never totally understood that.)

I went on a big shopping trip to Walmart the other day, haven't been there in what felt like forever but unfortunately too many things had built up on our non-food list that we usually only get there. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many people were wearing masks and keeping their distance, of course there were some no-maskers but most people were masked, even the children I saw (that's not too common around here, most children I see don't wear masks). Unfortunately we are starting to see significant product-shortages again, the Walmart I went to apparently hasn't had disposable masks in stock for awhile now (though I was able to find a small supply of reusable ones) and it's predicted that toilet paper and similar items will be in short supply fairly soon.