Lagie

Compulsive Posters' Anonymous Volume Twenty

Wait, you guys talk about books and puppies in here? I can't believe I've been missing out all this time. :lol:

I'm trying to find other places to spend my internet time today, since today is the start of the reddit blackout/protest. I'm not very hopeful anything will change, but at least I can do my part and stay off the site for the next couple of days.

The good news is that my in-laws are in town this week, which is fun and also means I'll be busier than usual with real life stuff.

41 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Wait, you guys talk about books and puppies in here? I can't believe I've been missing out all this time. :lol:

books, puppies, kitties, yarn.... join the party!

i saw something about the reddit blackout, what did reddit do that everyone is out of sorts?

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Bright and sunny. It's errand running day.

cloudy because it rained overnight and cool today.

and i get to go grocery shopping today, it shouldn't be too much, which is good, since my credit card hates me right now. XD

i have dragons growing up this afternoon, and eggs hatching tonight :)

50 minutes ago, trystan said:

books, puppies, kitties, yarn.... join the party!

i saw something about the reddit blackout, what did reddit do that everyone is out of sorts?

cloudy because it rained overnight and cool today.

and i get to go grocery shopping today, it shouldn't be too much, which is good, since my credit card hates me right now. XD

i have dragons growing up this afternoon, and eggs hatching tonight :)

Yes do tell! I don't know what reddit is {spare me the details} but I love gossip! {not really.} Also, "Trystan" should be all grown up tonight I hope.

2 minutes ago, Chusi said:

Also, "Trystan" should be all grown up tonight I hope.

yaay! :)

when some of my eggs hatch, i'll start on my 2G Arrakisyma dragons

....actually, the Trystan C dragon IS grown up now. :D

Okay, I'm going to do my best to explain with my limited technical knowledge and without being able to reference all the reddit posts explaining the problem, lol.

The short version of reddit is that it's one huge forum. You join reddit as a whole and you can access thousands (millions?) of "subreddits," which are like individual special interest forums. There are subreddits for specific TV shows, every craft you can name, all sorts of pets (all the way down to individual breeds of dog), basically everything you can think of probably has a subreddit. With a reddit account you can access whichever of these you want. Anyone can make a subreddit and they're all moderated by volunteers.

So lots of people use third-party apps to access reddit. Most of these apps are older than the official app and also function better, look nicer, allow more customization, isn't full of ads, etc. For these apps to work, they need to access reddit's API, which until now has been free. Reddit has announced that they're going to start charging for API access, which from what I understand isn't totally unusual for a website to do. But instead of a reasonable price, they're charging millions of dollars a year, functionally shutting down all the third-party apps because those apps make very little, if any money.

Not only is this super inconvenient for the people who have been using these apps for years and vastly prefer them to the official one (me!), it also takes away a lot of moderation tools that are only available in these third-party apps (I've never been a mod so I don't know what these tools are, exactly). It will also break a lot of useful bots. Worst of all, screen readers don't work on the official app, meaning that people who need them won't be able to access the site at all (people like the moderator of the Blind subreddit).

I have to leave for lunch now but I think that covers most of it!

40 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Reddit has announced that they're going to start charging for API access, which from what I understand isn't totally unusual for a website to do. But instead of a reasonable price, they're charging millions of dollars a year, functionally shutting down all the third-party apps because those apps make very little, if any money.

oh wow, that's nuts! :blink: i don't blame the blackout then.

i don't use reddit, but i'm familiar with the terminology, and wow, subreddits down to specific dog breeds, that's fun. ;)

well I'm retired, and all this sounds like work, so...And yes! Trystan is a big girl now! I will breed her and add to her lineage!

Edited by Chusi

4 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

And guinea pigs!

And there's always food about. ;)

I've never used reddit. Hope the blackout resolves your issues.

23 minutes ago, AsymDoll13 said:

@Lagie Those are the cutest puppers! Just adorable! They look like so much fun!

They're very sweet.

Errands have been run, and now I'm back. 

@Chusi, real life breakfast for me is cereal, with toast and coffee a bit later. I miss my aunt's Sunday breakfasts (even if I did end up doing most of the cooking; she prepped, I cooked).

5 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I'm trying to find other places to spend my internet time today, since today is the start of the reddit blackout/protest. I'm not very hopeful anything will change, but at least I can do my part and stay off the site for the next couple of days.

The good news is that my in-laws are in town this week, which is fun and also means I'll be busier than usual with real life stuff.

I talk about books, cats and guinea pigs. Almost exclusively at this point. People are probably like "oh no, she back with more book stuff." lol

Never! Book stuff's always good, and pets, too.

Lighting... one one thou... thunder!!! Boom. Right overhead. Eeps. Good thing I told the dog we couldn't go out just yet. I will not be swimming today.

I'm here for all the book, food, and pet (of any species) talk. I'll have to share some dog and cat pictures later, I have a house full.

Welcome, @GhostMouse!

Sounds like someone at Reddit really got greedy or else they wanted their app to be the only access -- probably greedy for more ad revenue. Too bad about stuff like the blind reddit! Hope the blackout makes them rethink things.

Thanks!

Greed definitely seems to be the motivator. It's such a shame because all the value of the site is in the users and the things they post. Half the time I'm trying to search something, I add "reddit" to the end of my Google search because I know I'll find an answer from a real person, instead of whatever tangentially related thing Google's algorithm comes up with. A lot of people have said they will wipe their accounts if the blackout doesn't work, which means a ton of valuable information will be lost. The users they're alienating with this are the ones who have been there for 10 or 15 years; that's so many posts. And of course the accessibility issues for the blind are terrible!

Anyway, here's a very out of season pet picture. :lol: It was my most recent Holiday card. From left to right; Cinder, Jax, Salem, Kia, Sansa.

Spoiler

CardFinal.thumb.jpg.e5fd0154c6d5837893ff36ac4361bc79.jpg

I haven't read any Grady Hendrix yet but I've been meaning to! I just mentioned this in the Current Book thread but I'm working my way through Stephen King's whole bibliography (well, all the horror - not the baseball essays). I read other stuff every now and then but I'm so close to finishing I'm trying to stay on course for now. At least while I'm reading through the Dark Tower series.

omg they are so cute! How in the world did you get such a beautiful picture! All so healthy and bright eyed! Thank you for sharing!         darnit! I bred Trystan  with Uses Flashlight. Why didn't I breed her with my upsidedown mint? rafrazzle!t! ra

Edited by Chusi

51 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Anyway, here's a very out of season pet picture. :lol: It was my most recent Holiday card. From left to right; Cinder, Jax, Salem, Kia, Sansa.

Reveal hidden contents

CardFinal.thumb.jpg.e5fd0154c6d5837893ff36ac4361bc79.jpg

I haven't read any Grady Hendrix yet but I've been meaning to! I just mentioned this in the Current Book thread but I'm working my way through Stephen King's whole bibliography (well, all the horror - not the baseball essays). I read other stuff every now and then but I'm so close to finishing I'm trying to stay on course for now. At least while I'm reading through the Dark Tower series.

They're adorable!

Hendrix is amazingly fun to read! I think I've read The Gunslinger, but it was forever and ever ago. I'm reading King's novel with his son, Owen, at the moment. It's weird, but I like it. 

30 minutes ago, Chusi said:

How in the world did you get such a beautiful picture!

I wondered that, too!

57 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Anyway, here's a very out of season pet picture. :lol:

It's awesome! :D They all posed so well.

58 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

The users they're alienating with this are the ones who have been there for 10 or 15 years; that's so many posts. And of course the accessibility issues for the blind are terrible!

:(

Storm has passed. We were able to go for a lovely walk, the dogs and I.

1 hour ago, GhostMouse said:

Lovely! My nephew had a black cat named Salem, too. :)

1 hour ago, GhostMouse said:

that's an awesome pic!

38 minutes ago, Chusi said:

darnit! I bred Trystan  with Uses Flashlight. Why didn't I breed her with my upsidedown mint? rafrazzle!t! ra

well, there's always next week!

Thanks everyone! It took a lot of patience and a bit of Photoshop. :lol:

Spoiler

Set up a cute backdrop. Convince your spouse to participate as animal-wrangler. Take about a million pictures per animal, until you have one each where they are: looking at the camera, in focus, not making a weird face, not overlapping too much, etc. Google a Photoshop tutorial on how to make a composite. Tweak the composite until they all look like they're plausibly in the same place at the same time. ???? Profit!

3 hours ago, AsymDoll13 said:

Hendrix is amazingly fun to read! I think I've read The Gunslinger, but it was forever and ever ago. I'm reading King's novel with his son, Owen, at the moment. It's weird, but I like it. 

Is that Sleeping Beauties? I haven't gotten to that one yet but I like weird stuff, so I'm looking forward to it! The Gunslinger is a tough one. I didn't love it the first time I read it, and so didn't continue the series. When I re-read it again recently, it was still a bit of a challenge but at least I knew what I was getting into, and all the books after it have been much more engaging reads for me. Have you read anything by his other son, Joe Hill? I really enjoyed Heart Shaped Box.

What's the story with the Trystan dragon?

heh clever way to create that picture!

best as i can tell, last week when i bred my Fool Mints for a 2G regular Mint, Chusi got it and named it Trystan (Trystan C, so says my dragons' progeny list). :D 

25 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Is that Sleeping Beauties? I haven't gotten to that one yet but I like weird stuff, so I'm looking forward to it! The Gunslinger is a tough one. I didn't love it the first time I read it, and so didn't continue the series. When I re-read it again recently, it was still a bit of a challenge but at least I knew what I was getting into, and all the books after it have been much more engaging reads for me. Have you read anything by his other son, Joe Hill? I really enjoyed Heart Shaped Box.

Oof. I can't imagine being called Joe King. lol. And I haven't yet, but maybe one day. I adore King. So far Sleeping Beauties has been.... weird, but then most stuff by King is weird. lol. My favorite is Pet Semetary. It's so good! And Carrie!

Here I was thinking you miraculously managed to get all of them to look perfectly at the camera at the same time! I should have known lol.

Sad about Reddit's new changes, I've been using a third party app to browse the site for awhile now. Can't search anything without adding "reddit" in the query unless I want to be inundated with ads and sponsored reviews/articles. I don't like what the internet has become... we need a forum renaissance :D

11 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

Okay, I'm going to do my best to explain with my limited technical knowledge and without being able to reference all the reddit posts explaining the problem, lol.

The short version of reddit is that it's one huge forum. You join reddit as a whole and you can access thousands (millions?) of "subreddits," which are like individual special interest forums. There are subreddits for specific TV shows, every craft you can name, all sorts of pets (all the way down to individual breeds of dog), basically everything you can think of probably has a subreddit. With a reddit account you can access whichever of these you want. Anyone can make a subreddit and they're all moderated by volunteers.

So lots of people use third-party apps to access reddit. Most of these apps are older than the official app and also function better, look nicer, allow more customization, isn't full of ads, etc. For these apps to work, they need to access reddit's API, which until now has been free. Reddit has announced that they're going to start charging for API access, which from what I understand isn't totally unusual for a website to do. But instead of a reasonable price, they're charging millions of dollars a year, functionally shutting down all the third-party apps because those apps make very little, if any money.

Not only is this super inconvenient for the people who have been using these apps for years and vastly prefer them to the official one (me!), it also takes away a lot of moderation tools that are only available in these third-party apps (I've never been a mod so I don't know what these tools are, exactly). It will also break a lot of useful bots. Worst of all, screen readers don't work on the official app, meaning that people who need them won't be able to access the site at all (people like the moderator of the Blind subreddit).

this is really dumb. I don't use reddit really so this doesn't really affect me. hope they learn something from this blackout.